Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

:siren:Revised translations for early chapters have been uploaded! See below!:siren:

Hinamatsuri is a battle manga about super-powered children.

Okay, not really. Hinamatsuri is actually about the pure-heartedness of children, and how they can help even the most jaded adults remember their precious memories of innocence and freedom.

Okay, not really. Hinamatsuri is really about these people:

Meet Yoshifumi Nitta, a mid-level yakuza more suited to office management and diplomacy than kicking rear end.
Hobbies include collecting fine china and drinking at his favorite bar. His life is disrupted by:

Hina. She’s 13. She’s telekinetic. She has trouble using her words.
Dislikes: Effort, bathing

They have a few problems.

But they manage to work them out.

Why should you read this?

For starters, Hina is a type of protagonist we don’t see too often in a ‘single dad’ manga. She’s lazy, greedy, messy, and tactless. Not in a malicious way, though, just self-absorbed and almost completely oblivious to things that don’t directly affect her. Life-and-death mob negotiations taking place? She’s more concerned about the candy dish on the boss’s desk. A gunman takes her class hostage? As long as it doesn’t keep her from getting lunch, no problem.

The supporting cast is also one of the strongest I’ve seen in a long while. Standouts include Hina’s psychic rival Anzu, who is a better person than her in almost every way, and long-suffering classmate Hitomi, who discovers many hilarious new talents while getting dragged into Hina’s nonsense.

Finally, reaction faces.

Oh, the reaction faces.

:siren:Update::siren:

The earliest scanslations of Hinamatsuri were very rough, bordering on unreadable in places. If these turned you off from reading, you may be glad to learn that most of the early chapters have been redone and greatly improved in the last month or so! Give it another shot, you won't regret it!

Mary Annette fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

AmiYumi posted:

On chapter 10 right now; Hina's wonderful speech of "I suggest we choose the contractor through competitive bidding, in order to cut costs and improve the school lunch's quality. Take a short breath here." is killing me.

I hope that mob lawyer got a nice bonus, given what he had to work with.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

If someone told me that the funniest thing I'd read all day involved a detective failing to catch a breath mint, I wouldn't have believed them.

I'm happy to have been wrong about this.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

New short little 4-page thing.

OK, you know what I said about the translation maybe getting better with time? Forget it. "Foil gras"? "Pulses?" This is disgraceful.

I've got zero experience with scanslation groups and even less patience for nerd drama, but I do have access to the raws through volume 4, am a native English speaker (which seems to be what the current crew lacks), and am willing to take a stab at putting out a script of my own. Any goons who might be able to put it to good use, please PM me.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

"Hina gets what she wants, I get what I can." :smith:

Loading up on shouga just because it's free :cry:

But then that last page. :unsmith:

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Good god, they are just blasting out the chapters.

Hinamatsuri 23

EDIT: Anzowns.

Mary Annette fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 4, 2013

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

And another!

The student has become the master.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

That's our girl. :rolleyes:

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

I'm torn between wanting a follow-up chapter, or for things to be completely back to normal by the next chapter with no explanation.

Really gonna be disappointed if there's no follow-through on the top 5 foods list thing.

1. Salmon Roe
2. (tie) Everything Else

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Stepping back in time for a bit, here's Chapter 18.

Is Sabu ready to join the 'side-characters who own' club yet?

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

More good news, looks like this new Norway guy is improving some older chapters as well as working on the new stuff!

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

cooldude2.0 posted:

Utako doesn't even get words of consolation.

I want to believe she was being sarcastic.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

I don't think I like this chapter's foray into dark horror. Accidentally calling your teacher 'mama' is every kid's worst nightmare. :gonk:

Also gonna take this opportunity to update the OP with better images and a note about the recent revisions of older chapters.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

I like how Hina's slowly becoming more expressive and better at communicating, but still basically doesn't give a poo poo about anything but eating, sleeping, and video games.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Chapter 31!

You know what we were all saying about any one of the girls being able to carry their own manga?

Jesus Christ, Hitomi.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

I think my favorite bit was "What the hell did I like about this woman...?".

Nitta really is the moral compass of the cast, if only by default.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Kleptobot posted:

Not exactly Hinamatsuri, but by the same manga-ka: the story of a boy who goes on a magical journey through time and space.

This guy has deadpan humor down to a science.

Also, here's a very short extra from vol. 6.

She's OK, folks!

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

I'm not sure whether you could call that lady extremely dedicated or hilariously lazy.

Extremely dedicated to trivialities, I'd say.

EDIT: Oh, and in case you missed it, here's the fallout from Nitta's TV debut.

Mary Annette fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 25, 2014

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

A yakuza succession crisis touched off by old people smell.

I love this manga so much.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Wait, how old are they? I thought they were elementary schoolers or maybe early middle schoolers at most, but I could be forgetting something, been a while since I read the older chapters.

I see no reason to doubt this. Hina is a terrible liar.

Also I completely lost it when I saw Nitta's celebration display.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Every day Hitomi's hustlin.

I really hate when translation groups get cute with the dialogue.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

I admit it, I was totally imagining "Unchained Melody" playing during the pottery wheel scene.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

The random bits of Spanish are weird, though.

If you're talking about the 'mesa' line, I think the translator was trying to convey the lameness of the kid's joke by having him do a Jar-Jar Binks impression.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

JosephWongKS posted:

Also, an omake flashback chapter about young Nitta and why he became so good at housework and administration - http://bato.to/reader#1f345b0be2bc9920

How did that nice young man get mixed up with the Yakuza, anyway?

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Mary Annette posted:

Hinamatsuri is actually about the pure-heartedness of children, and how they can help even the most jaded adults remember their precious memories of innocence and freedom.

And then get into fistfights with each other.

This is still hands-down my favorite manga ever.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

New chapter.

Sabu, you done hosed up.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Everyone in this manga is so delightfully hosed in the head.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Nitta my dogg what did Utako do to you man

Also, the wall scroll in the vase room reads ‘vases rule’.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

chiasaur11 posted:

(Honestly, post time-skip, Hina's seemed passably bright when she applies herself)

quote:

applies herself

quote:

Hina

quote:

applies herself

I kid, I kid.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Not necessarily in that order.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Man, the future's pathetic.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

One chapter to go.

I'm gonna miss these weirdos so much.:cry:

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

chiasaur11 posted:

Apparently the last collection is going to have a bit more epilogue as bonus content in August.

One last sip before the well is dry.

Then I'm not gonna say goodbye just yet.

The cut from Nitta and Anzu's parents weeping tears of love and pride to Sabu playing on his phone was :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005