Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

I'm a semen, I mean Seaman, I haven't been a semen for 20 years.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Note that it's not going to a surface ship-type business day schedule (which would be a disaster) but instead stretches the existing six-hour shifts to eight. Which makes me wonder how meals are handled. But then it mentions "(they) structured shifts for officers in a way that allowed all of them to be awake and work together for part of each day." Because if there's one thing sub officers complain about it's that they don't see enough of each other.

Plus all that 'circadian rhythm' stuff is BS, as other studies have shown the only thing keeping the human body clock on a 24 hour schedule is that big burny circle in the sky, and that people in low-sun environments (Scandinavia, Antarctica etc) naturally shift to all sorts of oddball poo poo (28 hour days, etc.)

If you want a 'regular sleep schedule' on a submarine your options are a) get off the loving submarine or b) increase crew size by like 40% to be more inline with surface ship watchstander / watchstation ratios, or c) slash the poo poo out of underway training, field days and drills, all of which ain't gonna happen. The fact that the entire article is written on the word of one captain likely snowballed by his junior Os on the success of his cunning scheme, and that everyone interviewed seems to believe "stand watch for a shift, maintain/relax for a shift, sleep for a shift" is a thing that happens with any kind of consistency, fills me with unconfidence.

Here here! Cooks would make more money spending no money on midrats.... But as a NAV-ET, I could imagine that spending my time Pt/St as NavSup would be made even more miserable with long shifts like that. Not to mention, if you have a watch like Fathometer that is often augmented by offgoing and oncoming watchstanders, that is now 12 hours of continuous watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Most of my at sea time was doing 12 or 9 hour watches due to bad manning. gently caress that poo poo and anyone who thinks it's a good idea.

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

ded posted:

gently caress that poo poo and anyone who thinks it's a good idea.

The schedule change or submarines in general?

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
We just did 8 hour watches for 4 months and it was fantastic for everyone that wasn't a daywalker or an electrician.

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

Cerekk posted:

We just did 8 hour watches for 4 months and it was fantastic for everyone that wasn't a daywalker or an electrician.

I actually just brought that up to my old Eng who is in PXO right now. I assume turnover and dinner are at 1930.... how are you going to burn a flick if you cannot start until 2100....

The other thing, that bones one watch section with the midnight routine every night. Imagine trying to find offgoing JO's to rig for dive more than half way into their offgoing...

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Schlabbalabba posted:

I actually just brought that up to my old Eng who is in PXO right now. I assume turnover and dinner are at 1930.... how are you going to burn a flick if you cannot start until 2100....

#conerproblems

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

genderstomper58 posted:

#conerproblems

#daywalkerproblems

I was a rack guy. I do my head call as early as I can get away with, shower, and hit the rack. Beauty of QMOW is that I had the laptop to get all of my work done and write my email home while on watch...

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Schlabbalabba posted:

The other thing, that bones one watch section with the midnight routine every night. Imagine trying to find offgoing JO's to rig for dive more than half way into their offgoing...

There's a few different ways boats have been doing it if you read the lessons learned messages, but we had breakfast 0700-0800, lunch 1500-1600, dinner 2300-2400 plus PBJ/soup breaks halfway through the day and swing watches when the offgoing guys give head/snack breaks to the on watch guys. Swing watch was protected sleep for midwatch guys, midwatch was protected sleep for everybody else. It worked OK most of the time. Midwatch guys usually get boned with 8 hours straight without a break (especially guys like the SRO that can't get up and walk around/use the head on watch). Day shift guys do all the maintenance on the evening shift (E-div gets boned because they have too much maintenance to fit it all in). Every Sunday we did 6 hour watches and everybody shifted back a section so you only had the midwatch for a week at a time. Officers did rig for dive/breaks/etc in-section. All in all I'd rather do it this way than go back. Even if I was perma-midwatch it would still be better than 6-and-12s.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Cerekk posted:

There's a few different ways boats have been doing it if you read the lessons learned messages, but we had breakfast 0700-0800, lunch 1500-1600, dinner 2300-2400 plus PBJ/soup breaks halfway through the day and swing watches when the offgoing guys give head/snack breaks to the on watch guys. Swing watch was protected sleep for midwatch guys, midwatch was protected sleep for everybody else. It worked OK most of the time. Midwatch guys usually get boned with 8 hours straight without a break (especially guys like the SRO that can't get up and walk around/use the head on watch). Day shift guys do all the maintenance on the evening shift (E-div gets boned because they have too much maintenance to fit it all in). Every Sunday we did 6 hour watches and everybody shifted back a section so you only had the midwatch for a week at a time. Officers did rig for dive/breaks/etc in-section. All in all I'd rather do it this way than go back. Even if I was perma-midwatch it would still be better than 6-and-12s.

I'm not sure why you're mentioning the SRO unless you were doing this in-port. If you mean the RO, their ability to get up and walk around is a function of how many guys are qual'ed, not the schedule.

I'm also not seeing any advantage of doing this over 6 and 12s, once you start rolling in multiple drill days / field day / division and department training etc - it just seems like one watchsection would get unmercifully pounded for a whole week instead of the usual Russian roulette. Vulcan Death Watches are still going to be a 12-14 hour day and it seems like they'd jank up the rotation even worse than usual. That was always the problem with sub scheduling, not the shift lengths; it works fine if you assume the "watch-maintain/train-sleep" three-shift rotation holds, but it doesn't - and the idea of marking off 16 hours a day for 'protected sleep' would've gone right out the window. And you still have problems with port/starboard, not enough guys qualed, bulked up watches for tracking parties or fatho, weapons handling etc etc etc etc.

I'm also not seeing how kickers work but that's a much more minor concern.

Keep in mind I came from a boat that believed crew fatigue was a myth dispelled with enough coffee, and crew exhaustion was considered a primary factor in them tearing the bottom out of a gator freighter and nearly losing the ship. I do know that for my division there's been certain changes (let's not go into these) that have greatly reduced underway maintenance and paperwork and those probably improved quality of life quite a bit.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Schlabbalabba posted:

The schedule change or submarines in general?

The schedule change. 6/6/6 life is so much more easy than doing 9s or 12s.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

If I had to stand 8 hours of lower level as a nub, somebody would have died a violent death. Probably me. :smithicide:

The best rotation I had was as the evening watch/drill monitor. I stood watch from 18-24 and did drills in the morning. Of course, six months of ORSE workup loving blew.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm not sure why you're mentioning the SRO unless you were doing this in-port. If you mean the RO, their ability to get up and walk around is a function of how many guys are qual'ed, not the schedule.

I'm also not seeing any advantage of doing this over 6 and 12s, once you start rolling in multiple drill days / field day / division and department training etc - it just seems like one watchsection would get unmercifully pounded for a whole week instead of the usual Russian roulette. Vulcan Death Watches are still going to be a 12-14 hour day and it seems like they'd jank up the rotation even worse than usual. That was always the problem with sub scheduling, not the shift lengths; it works fine if you assume the "watch-maintain/train-sleep" three-shift rotation holds, but it doesn't - and the idea of marking off 16 hours a day for 'protected sleep' would've gone right out the window. And you still have problems with port/starboard, not enough guys qualed, bulked up watches for tracking parties or fatho, weapons handling etc etc etc etc.

I'm also not seeing how kickers work but that's a much more minor concern.

Keep in mind I came from a boat that believed crew fatigue was a myth dispelled with enough coffee, and crew exhaustion was considered a primary factor in them tearing the bottom out of a gator freighter and nearly losing the ship. I do know that for my division there's been certain changes (let's not go into these) that have greatly reduced underway maintenance and paperwork and those probably improved quality of life quite a bit.

yeah I meant RO. It's the same for any watch that can't really leave. But getting stuck on an 8 hour midwatch with no break is really the only downside. All the things you're talking about like drills and training and and weapons handling happen during all-awake time (8-16) so everybody still gets their protected sleep. The midwatch guys get it the worst because with prewatch tours their protected sleep is more like 16-22 but 6 hours uninterrupted is still better than you'd ever do on a 6-and-12 rotation.

I didn't think it'd work either before we did it, but it works fine. My quantity and quality of sleep both went up and my quality of life increased astronomically. As a JO I was better rested than I was as an enlisted coner which is astonishing, really.

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

I don't see message traffic much anymore... I have a SIPR for movements and that's it. Over here with the hovering navy, I'm pretty out of the loop

itsrobbiej
Oct 23, 2010
Anybody on the Annapolis? I called the detailer today for orders and picked that fine boat. No guarantee I'll get it yet, but just trying to feel out the crew, atmosphere, etc.

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

itsrobbiej posted:

Anybody on the Annapolis? I called the detailer today for orders and picked that fine boat. No guarantee I'll get it yet, but just trying to feel out the crew, atmosphere, etc.

A year ago it sucked, but that don't mean poo poo.... O-gang or enlisted?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I'm sure you'll have plenty of chances to 'feel out the crew' on the Anal Palace.

(It used to be one of the happier boats on the waterfront, but that's a low bar, and that was 10+ years ago, although that sort of attitude carries longer than you'd think.)

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

A couple years ago.... we were sharing a pier with them and I watched them lower the radar on a dude's head.... he was fine... That same in-port I saw them open a main ballast tank vent in port.... A-Gang, who was on the pier having a pow-wow, sprinted towards the boat.

itsrobbiej
Oct 23, 2010
Enlisted...nuke :(. Buddy of mine said he was always hearing bad stuff about the atmosphere and stuff there, while in port. I figure it's just going to be something I have to figure out and no matter if I get a rough boat or a totally awesome boat, I don't know enough about it to realize the difference.

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

It's a boat. Terrible things are to be expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Schlabbalabba posted:

It's a boat. Terrible things are to be expected.

Yep. The climate can change really quickly depending on the most mundane things, but the CO/COB have big impacts. Always a crap shoot. IMHO, choose based on other things; schedule, homeport, etc.

Sacrilage fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 4, 2014

• Locked thread