Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Boomers have a little more room for exercise gear than fast boats.

The boats are kept cold because there are lots of sensitive electronics, much of them 10-30 years out of date by civilian standards so they make a lot of heat. If you lose air conditioning it can get fairly unpleasant quickly.

You generally don't have alarm clocks because they make noise, and noise is a no-no. A junior sailor goes around and wakes up the oncoming watch sections, with varying reliability. Because of drills / alarms etc you get conditioned to not sleep all that deep anyway. You still use 24 hour time and not everyone is always on an 18 hour rotation.

Seeing as this is an officer thread, it should be pointed out that officers get staterooms that they generally share with a department head and another JO. This stateroom has maybe 8 square feet of floor space, but it does include a desk and some additional storage. It also has a door. This means JOs can figure out a schedule where they can, well, JO without having another human within arm's reach, a luxury few enlisted get. It doesn't really matter because you get used to beating it while making eye contact with other men in fairly short order. In fairly rare cases of overcrowding the juniorest JOs will be put into the nicer parts of enlisted berthing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Rowzdower posted:

How hard is it to adjust to the 18 hour days? Does the crew run on an adjusted 18 hour "calendar days" system or does everyone just set their alarm 6 hours earlier each night?

Might be a stupid question, but since everyone's sleep schedule is staggered, how are alarm clocks handled? Do you just learn to sleep through the alarms that are set for other sailors or is there another system in place?

The messenger does wakeups before each watch, running around to each person who is oncoming watch and giving them 2 wakeups to make sure they get up. You don't really need an alarm clock. Adjusting to the 18hr thing is not really hard at all.

Baloogan posted:

I guess I should have a real question. I'm sometimes doing bathymetric surveys of ports and rivers and such and because its so drat boring I generally fanatasize about subs hearing my little active sonar pinging away and doing TMA on me. I use 400-675 kHz with a 50-100 millisecond (microsecond?) pulse length, pencil beam around 100 pings per minute.

I'm sure you guys have sensitive enough equipment to hear me but do you guys track or care about me?

Something at that high of a freq does not travel very far.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

ded posted:

^^ We were not allowed to have weights due to possible noise transients.

You might get lucky and have a rowing machine and a treadmill, in the engine room. There really is not room for the gear.

Temp & humidity is fully controlled. Only the engine room gets a bit hotter. There is cold air blasting you everywhere you go on a boat.

4 treadmills, 2 exercise bikes, 3 ellipticals, stairmaster, rowing machine, climbing machine, smith machine, 4 sets of free weights with benches.

Suck it, fast attacks.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Cerekk posted:

4 treadmills, 2 exercise bikes, 3 ellipticals, stairmaster, rowing machine, climbing machine, smith machine, 4 sets of free weights with benches.

Suck it, fast attacks.

Ya well at least I didn't get extra zoomies from being around missile tubes while working out!

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

quote:

Because of drills / alarms etc you get conditioned to not sleep all that deep anyway. You still use 24 hour time and not everyone is always on an 18 hour rotation.

Corollary: Never stay awake for drills. That ten minutes before drills are supposed to start can turn into a magic hour of sleep when the drill briefing goes too long.

You tell time on extended underway by what meal is being served. grilled cheese or pizza, must be midrats.

When battlestations or casualty alarms go off, it was not unusual to see someone still soaped up from their shower hopping into their poopy suit while running through the passageway to respond. It is this scenario that poses the biggest test for females on submarines, imo. And then there is the fact that in order to get around crowded passageways there is a lot of bodily contact that happens as people have to squeeze past each other, even on a normal workday.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Why is it that boomers have so much more space? Wouldn't all that space be taken up by the missiles? Is it because the diameter of the boat has to be bigger to hold the missiles, and so there's just more space everywhere?

Do SSGNs have even more space than boomers? If so is that just because Tomahawks take up less space than Tridents?

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Mortabis posted:

Why is it that boomers have so much more space? Wouldn't all that space be taken up by the missiles? Is it because the diameter of the boat has to be bigger to hold the missiles, and so there's just more space everywhere?

Do SSGNs have even more space than boomers? If so is that just because Tomahawks take up less space than Tridents?

There was a bunch of huge 40 year old equipment that got taken out and replaced with storage space, extra racks, and a conference room. Also there's storage space inside some of the missile tubes.

And it's just that there's a whole extra compartment for the missiles, and it fits a ton of stuff besides just the missiles. Like the entirety of crew's berthing.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Mortabis posted:

SSGN's tend to have a lot of extra people on them because of the SOF missions they do. The tomahawks are retrofitted into the trident missile system, so no more or less space because of that.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Golli posted:

Corollary: Never stay awake for drills. That ten minutes before drills are supposed to start can turn into a magic hour of sleep when the drill briefing goes too long.

Battle racking; something I hope to never have to do again after this tour.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Rowzdower posted:

Might be a stupid question, but since everyone's sleep schedule is staggered, how are alarm clocks handled? Do you just learn to sleep through the alarms that are set for other sailors or is there another system in place?

I used to be a light sleeper before I joined the Navy; now nothing but my own personal alarm clock, my last name, or the sound of a general alarm will wake me up. You just adapt that way, or die from sleep deprivation.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Does the crew know the mission of the sub? Like, are the orders posted or something, so that if the mission is something like "wait for this other country's sub to leave port and track it" or something else would the crew know about it, or just the people who need to know?

How often do boats surface?

Do people bring things like laptop computers on board?

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 11, 2013

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Mortabis posted:

Does the crew know the mission of the sub? Like, are the orders posted or something, so that if the mission is something like "wait for this other country's sub to leave port and track it" or something else would the crew know about it, or just the people who need to know?

Yes. When going on a deployment the crew gets a general brief on what we will be our overall mission. Details however only go to certain departments like radio, navigation, sonar, ect.

Subs only surface during training, going into port, or due to a casualty.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Ohio class SSBN hulls are a lot wider than attack sub hulls because of the size of the missiles. Also the relatively tall cylinder shapes of the missiles means there's a lot of room in the missile compartment.

The SSGNs use the same hulls, even loaded for bear they are still much roomier inside than an attack boat.

A quirk / design feature of the Ohios allows loading bulky equipment more easily. Fast boats don't have this. As a consequence, things like exercise bikes often have to be cut up, brought on board and then welded back together; since they get passed around between boats this can leave them pretty crooked and screwy after a while.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Mortabis posted:

Do people bring things like laptop computers on board?

Most people have a gist, but only the people who need to know have details, for the most part.

Only when needed or during a very rare casualty. Normally we surface because we are pulling into port, and that's it.

Not anymore. With all the recent wikileaks crap, they've gotten tougher. Then some senior surface gently caress gave a blanket order that personal electronics weren't allowed in "SECRET" areas, and since the whole loving submarine is secret, that meant us. Starting my last underway, it was downright 1940's on the boat; no tablets, no phones, no e-readers, no I-pods, no laptops, no gameboys, nothing. It's amazing how much those things made for quality of life, since most people don't have enough space for more than 1-3 books.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Sacrilage posted:

Starting my last underway, it was downright 1940's on the boat; no tablets, no phones, no e-readers, no I-pods, no laptops, no gameboys, nothing. It's amazing how much those things made for quality of life, since most people don't have enough space for more than 1-3 books.

Holy loving poo poo are you serious?????????????????

D: D: D: D:

*this is not sarcasm, having an ipod was like the only thing that kept me sane and let me escape that place for a few minutes

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Sacrilage posted:

I used to be a light sleeper before I joined the Navy; now nothing but my own personal alarm clock, my last name, or the sound of a general alarm will wake me up. You just adapt that way, or die from sleep deprivation.

This seems to be a universal skill across DoD. It didn't take me long to get used to sleeping under cat 3 and SN Billy needle gunning the gently caress out of the paint over your head.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Any shmuck can go into Control and look at the charts to tell where you are. At least, I never did an op where this wasn't true. Officially we might be off the coast of 'Country Orange' but it wasn't a big secret (within the crew) of where that was and roughly why we were there. People talk during chow and in the waiting line, and JOs standing EOOW tend to brief the nukes working aft about what they see during training watches up forward.

You can bring a laptop, desktop, DVD player, XBox, three foot rubber dildo, whatever you want, if you can find a place to keep it. In my last rack I had a toaster-sized PC, two external HDs, a PS3 and a 15" TV, because I was clever with mounting. I was also in good with the supply mafia, so I had commandeered a supply locker you had to climb into my rack yo get to, and I had personal lockers 'for test equipment' back aft and knew where seabags of clothes could be stashed without getting ruined. Boomer dudes will have more space. Dumb nub hot-rackers will have trouble finding room for their socks and underwear. Every now and then there'll be an issue with something being stolen from someone's rack, but that's generally in port. E: apparently that's all wildly out of date, lol

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Snowdens Secret posted:

You can bring a laptop, desktop, DVD player, XBox, three foot rubber dildo, whatever you want, if you can find a place to keep it.

Did you read the guys post who is still in.....

e: nm :P

whenever someones poo poo went missing I always just figured the cooks stole it because they are by far the worst and least trustworthy people in general on a sub imo

genderstomper58 fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 11, 2013

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

genderstomper58 posted:

Did you read the guys post who is still in.....

Yeah, wow

Just think about a multiple-month underway with only some crusty shared copies of Randy Grannies and memory jacks to keep you sane

Or even not having music for exercise / after watch cleanup

Ugggh

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Snowdens Secret posted:

Yeah, wow

Just think about a multiple-month underway with only some crusty shared copies of Randy Grannies and memory jacks to keep you sane

Or even not having music for exercise / after watch cleanup

Ugggh

boy if they thought morale was lovely before!!!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
This is another thing you will have to get used to if you go subs: there will be random shore-based officers, not sub dudes, not nukes, sometimes not even line, who will dump random and wildly foolish policies on you without any clue how or if they're going to work. At one point we had an in-port force protection plan pooped on us that was based on some destroyer plan, despite us having a third of the crew and almost none of the equipment. Our liberty rules while tied to the tender in Italy were more restrictive than those of the tender crew members < 6 months out of boot camp. On one joint op we were being given orders by non-Navy people who hadn't been given the need-to-know that we were even a warship.

It's a quirk of sub chain of command, skimmers tend to stay under skimmers and the carriers carry all their decision-makers around with them.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Sacrilage posted:

Not anymore. With all the recent wikileaks crap, they've gotten tougher. Then some senior surface gently caress gave a blanket order that personal electronics weren't allowed in "SECRET" areas, and since the whole loving submarine is secret, that meant us. Starting my last underway, it was downright 1940's on the boat; no tablets, no phones, no e-readers, no I-pods, no laptops, no gameboys, nothing. It's amazing how much those things made for quality of life, since most people don't have enough space for more than 1-3 books.

THANKS OBAMA MANNING!!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Well at least you've still got beards, sodomy and the lash

If putting women on boats means getting rid of those, might as well scuttle the hulls

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Jesus no electronic devices sounds ridiculously lovely. Thanks for convincing me to never, ever, ever to become a submariner.

Is there a brig or something on submarines for people who commit crimes of some kind, or are insubordinate or whatever? How is that handled?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Mortabis posted:

Is there a brig or something on submarines for people who commit crimes of some kind, or are insubordinate or whatever? How is that handled?

No. But if something really bad happened they would most likely convert one of the officers staterooms to serve as one. As far as 'being insubordinate' they would most likely be told to shut the gently caress up and do their god drat job, and get a captains mast.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

moker told me that sub life was a lot like the movie Crimson Tide.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

vulturesrow posted:

Actually, it is just like the hit ABC show, "Last Resort"

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

genderstomper58 posted:

I miss that show. I felt like I was really getting to know you guys. :smith:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
That show might as well have been a documentary. I was stunned at how well researched and spot on it was

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

vulturesrow posted:

genderstomper58 posted:

Quoted for truth. Actually, I don't even know why I made this thread. People, please, stop reading and just go watch Last Resort for your answers.

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL
Aug 29, 2008

by XyloJW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRlUMuAGMNI

Video footage of 1941 moker begins 20 seconds in.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

ded posted:

Yes. When going on a deployment the crew gets a general brief on what we will be our overall mission. Details however only go to certain departments like radio, navigation, sonar, ect.

Subs only surface during training, going into port, or due to a casualty.

One of my fellow JOs didn't get cleared for one mission on a deployment. On the one hand, he didn't have to do a lot of the mission-related work which happened off-watch and he got to be permanent EEOW.

On the other hand, he was treated like a leper. Couldn't go to the conn/QM/sonar. Sometimes couldn't even hang out in the wardroom.

The post-deployment briefs were awkward, "Before we go to this next section, we need to ask LT <> to step out of the room."

Sub sailors are the most seasickness-prone ever. Since subs are designed to be underwater, they rock like crazy in even mild seastates. Combined with a lack of fresh air, and no external reference point (horizon), departure from port (especially liberty ports) were a mad dash to being able to submerge.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Golli posted:

One of my fellow JOs didn't get cleared for one mission on a deployment. On the one hand, he didn't have to do a lot of the mission-related work which happened off-watch and he got to be permanent EEOW.

Why in the hell would he not be cleared for secret SPECIAL and still be allowed on the boat?

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

My guess is that it was emergent tasking and they didn't have time for PERSTRANS.
He had clearance on prior ops, so it could have been a paperwork problem with that program.

But honestly, I have no idea how it happened. It was just very awkward...

Edit: whatever it was, was not a career-terminal condition. Hi shore duty after the boat was SOBC instructor...

Golli fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 11, 2013

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Don't know if you USN guys have seen this. Not sure whether it qualifies as interesting, irritatingly superficial or painfully boring if you've spent too many months of your life stuck on a boat.

http://www.channel5.com/shows/submarine-school

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Saga posted:

Don't know if you USN guys have seen this. Not sure whether it qualifies as interesting, irritatingly superficial or painfully boring if you've spent too many months of your life stuck on a boat.

http://www.channel5.com/shows/submarine-school

Perisher is no joke. SCC (American CO school) is not easy by any stretch, but the Perisher is old-war submarine-ing at its finest. I only know one American CO who has passed it, and he was CO of the Virginia Class boat USS Hawaii.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
Please tell us that a sub is a no-salute zone and everyone is on a first name basis. Dealing with motards while confined to them for an entire deployment would probably drive me to suck start my m4.

What do you see when you look through the periscope while submerged? Is it just a big ol' dark void like I imagine?

Also, hoping this doesn't violate opsec and whatnot, do you guys have an armory to draw arms from, for if such an event were to ever require them?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
The Navy does not salute indoors. Inside of a sub or ship is indoors. Some guys you might be on a first name thing with but for the most part you just call them by their last name unless they are a chief or higher.

Light does go down a bit so it would depend how deep you raised the scope at.

There is a small arms locker but unless something has changed there isn't a lot of guns.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Sacrilage posted:

Perisher is no joke. SCC (American CO school) is not easy by any stretch, but the Perisher is old-war submarine-ing at its finest. I only know one American CO who has passed it, and he was CO of the Virginia Class boat USS Hawaii.

Anyone have any idea why if you fail Perisher you're no longer allowed to serve on subs at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

McSpatula posted:

Please tell us that a sub is a no-salute zone and everyone is on a first name basis. Dealing with motards while confined to them for an entire deployment would probably drive me to suck start my m4.

It's not a first name basis. While on watch, watch standers are always referred to by their watch station (I.e., Engineering Watch Supervisor, etc regardless of rank. Off watch Dept Heads are referred to by their dept title, (Weps, Eng, Chop/Suppo, Nav).
, JOs are "Mr." Chief of the boat is COB. Chiefs are Chief, Senior Chief, or Master Chief. PO1 and below are either "Petty Officer" or just last names.

The practice varies by command, and even though there is more familiarity than on surface ships, there is still a need for military discipline.

quote:

What do you see when you look through the periscope while submerged? Is it just a big ol' dark void like I imagine?

The periscope is retracted while submerged, so you are correct. Even if you could access the eyepiece in the well, you wouldn't see anything. When approaching PD, the view is about what you would expect - the same view a scuba diver would have through his mask during an ascent.

• Locked thread