Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

WikiPedia posted:

HMS Gotland managed to snap several pictures of the USS Ronald Reagan during a wargaming exercise in the Pacific Ocean, effectively "sinking" the aircraft carrier.[11] The exercise was conducted to evaluate the effectiveness of the US Fleet against diesel-electric submarines, which some have noted as severely lacking.

:stare: I knew we were weak on SS ASW but goddamn

I like to imagine them surfacing within like 1km of the Reagan and just waving to the carrier, then slipping back to periscope depth to listen to the Task Force Commander rip all his ASW guys new poopchutes.

That is a tiny looking sub, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Mortabis posted:

Is SS sonar gear?

"SS" is the designation for Diesel/Electrics, "SSN" being nucs and "SSP" being that terrifying Swedish death machine with Stirling Engine AIP. Some say it stands for "Scares Skippers Pissless"

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Snowdens Secret posted:

When we messed with the Gotland in '05? they also had a bunch of super-hot women on board

"I SAID 'Rig for silent running'. Jennsen, stop banging the cook :argh: Sonar can hear you and we're going to start broadcasting on the 1MC"

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 2, 2013

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Was this before or after the S-3 got retired? I know airborne-ASW is pretty terrible but the threat of SONOBOUYS EVERYWHERE might have helped a little bit, having only helicopters afterward. I'm also sure that being able to get detection at extreme range with the CZ helped plot intercept too.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Ten year old data, and most of the sub warfare stuff is pretty much out there, as indicated above. Hell, you can read about any of this in a Tom Clancy novel. I'm pure civilian and I'm keeping up pretty well. The poo poo about Nimitz loving off from the rest of the BG, though... :downsgun:

I think hope that any BG commander worth his rank is going to know that is a goddamn retarded idea.

Let's not ruin what I think is a really cool thread (I've always been fascinated with submarines/sub warfare) with trouble, please. Be safe rather than sorry if it keeps the thread open.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Hauldren Collider posted:

3. How quiet do you have to be when serving on a submarine? Is it like whispers only when you are up in some country's private parts?

You could probably talk regularly. However, you really don't want to drop a wrench or something like that.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Baloogan posted:

I just got off a month long probation and I'm not going to let this thread slip under the waves.

Is there any discussion among Sub officers about the faulty Mk14 torp during early WWII? I can't imagine how aggravating it must have been to score dud hits...

Since the USN doesn't operate diesel subs this question might not violate OPSEC: what are the strategies for operating the diesel engines? Do they sit still while charging? When in transit do diesels move at periscope/snorkel depth or surfaced?

If you get a chance, skip down to the local Library and see if they have Silent Victory. There's a good background of how the Mk14 got so hosed up and what the captains had to say about it. TL;DR the Navy told them they were nuts until sub commanders started officially reporting a ton of dud strikes. They were pissed. Also, that's a drat good book overall for some WWII Sub history.

I have no idea about modern conventionals, as with the advent of AIO (Air-Independent Operation) diesels can stay down for a couple weeks at a time. They are quite a bit slower than nuc boats while submerged.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
But I be done seen about everything when I seen an LA blip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Mortabis posted:

Hyman Rickover didn't have a foreskin

Surely a fact only a seaman would know.

• Locked thread