Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Sacrilage posted:

Not anymore. With all the recent wikileaks crap, they've gotten tougher. Then some senior surface gently caress gave a blanket order that personal electronics weren't allowed in "SECRET" areas, and since the whole loving submarine is secret, that meant us. Starting my last underway, it was downright 1940's on the boat; no tablets, no phones, no e-readers, no I-pods, no laptops, no gameboys, nothing. It's amazing how much those things made for quality of life, since most people don't have enough space for more than 1-3 books.

THANKS OBAMA MANNING!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

IDR posted:

Sweden have done it quite a few times, we can't track theirs though.

The USN actually "leased" the Gotland from Sweden for a year to utilize her exclusively as opfor during exercises...and then extended the lease by another year because the training was so effective.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

ded posted:

edit : a boat like this with modern SS gear is the most scary thing ever.

Only thing that is theoretically capable of being quieter than a USN SSN, indefinitely.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Snowdens Secret posted:

When we messed with the Gotland in '05? they also had a bunch of super-hot women on board

Reason #1 why I was insanely pissed the Swedes canceled on bringing their -130s up for a Red Flag year before last.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

genderstomper58 posted:

the gotland was on out base for like a year, it came over on a ship, they didnt have overnight duty, swapped crews out, had beards, had hot swedish babes, could only stay at sea for a few days, would load beer for underways

basically gently caress them!!!!!

Sounds like they were Navy-ing correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Mad Dragon posted:

Down Periscope.

That and Stripes are basically documentaries as far as I'm concerned.

• Locked thread