Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I've heard that the youngest American museum sub is a diesel-electric in Portland, is that ever likely to change or are nuclear boats always just too expensive/classified to safely open up for visitors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I'm curious to hear from some submarine veterans on why they chose submarine duty, and would they still have chosen subs if they knew then what they know now?

movax posted:

It's always Space Navy in science-fiction (except for Stargate I guess and we all saw how that ended up) :colbert:

Former astronaut Mike Mullane related an anecdote in his book about the time he (as an Air Force officer) and his Navy aviator fellow astronaut went to the Pentagon to be awarded medals for a completed Shuttle mission. The Navy made a big happy production of it with lots of brass and rah-rah speeches about taking the high ground... and the Air Force ceremony consisted of a surly one-star general bitching about how space dollars should be going to transport planes instead.

If there's ever an expeditionary space force, it's going to be the Navy, because the Air Force won't be bothered to have anything to do with it.

almighty posted:

Bombers are quite useless in our age IMHO, except for gimmicks such as B-2.

My understanding is that in an all-out nuclear attack, most bomber-carried weapons wouldn't be gravity bombs, they'd be nuclear-tipped cruise missiles that can be launched from over a thousand miles away. Defending against a swarm of several hundred cruise missiles would be rather difficult.

edit: although yeah bombers would be the first leg of the triad I would cut

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sacrilage posted:

I can say that now, happy and at home and only now beginning the pain of dealing with the VA for the sub-related problems that I've developed, so maybe ask me again in 5 years.

What has working on submarines done to you, if you don't mind my asking?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Baloogan posted:

When in transit do diesels move at periscope/snorkel depth or surfaced?

They would probably be at snorkel depth, since if I remember right subs tend to be less stable while surfaced.

• Locked thread