Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
What you sub guys put up with is equally fascinating and awful. I'm sure glad you all are out there to do this job because gently caress that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
wait you can smoke on a sub :psyboom:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

ded posted:

Shaft alley was the place to go when you wanted to get a qual gaffed on my boat. We had a guy in my division that would have a nic patch and still smoke nearly a pack a day while at sea.

"Shaft Alley" makes me think parts of the sub in terms of a city with bad neighborhoods and where the rich white people live, etc.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7x_8tgJXmc

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
At what point do you guys forget that you're on a literal tube several hundred feet underwater or does that never occur?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The smell of anime is best described as "shameful".

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Cerekk posted:

Because as terrifying as a jam dive casualty is, having the port plane in jam dive while the starboard one goes full rise would manage to be even worse.

A lot of submarine design decisions are based on what the worst possible case is when the thing breaks.

I didn't even think that a jammed control surface could even happen to a sub. Couldn't you just kill the props to stop any motion if you were in a jammed dive?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

ded posted:

"Jam dive" ranks up there with "Torpedo in the water" as far as just how hosed you are in sub lingo. A jammed control surface is one the things you would do an emergency blow for. Also there are no "props" on a sub, it's called a SCREW. :chiefsay:

Sorry! I only speak airplane.

Ya I guess I should've phrased it better as in what would the emergency procedures be for something like that. So like do the guys who actually "drive" the sub have a full motion sim they use or is it OJT stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Do carrier and sub nukes swap over at all or is it once you're assigned to a sub that it's your assignment for life?

• Locked thread