Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golli
Jan 5, 2013

quote:

Because of drills / alarms etc you get conditioned to not sleep all that deep anyway. You still use 24 hour time and not everyone is always on an 18 hour rotation.

Corollary: Never stay awake for drills. That ten minutes before drills are supposed to start can turn into a magic hour of sleep when the drill briefing goes too long.

You tell time on extended underway by what meal is being served. grilled cheese or pizza, must be midrats.

When battlestations or casualty alarms go off, it was not unusual to see someone still soaped up from their shower hopping into their poopy suit while running through the passageway to respond. It is this scenario that poses the biggest test for females on submarines, imo. And then there is the fact that in order to get around crowded passageways there is a lot of bodily contact that happens as people have to squeeze past each other, even on a normal workday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

ded posted:

Yes. When going on a deployment the crew gets a general brief on what we will be our overall mission. Details however only go to certain departments like radio, navigation, sonar, ect.

Subs only surface during training, going into port, or due to a casualty.

One of my fellow JOs didn't get cleared for one mission on a deployment. On the one hand, he didn't have to do a lot of the mission-related work which happened off-watch and he got to be permanent EEOW.

On the other hand, he was treated like a leper. Couldn't go to the conn/QM/sonar. Sometimes couldn't even hang out in the wardroom.

The post-deployment briefs were awkward, "Before we go to this next section, we need to ask LT <> to step out of the room."

Sub sailors are the most seasickness-prone ever. Since subs are designed to be underwater, they rock like crazy in even mild seastates. Combined with a lack of fresh air, and no external reference point (horizon), departure from port (especially liberty ports) were a mad dash to being able to submerge.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

My guess is that it was emergent tasking and they didn't have time for PERSTRANS.
He had clearance on prior ops, so it could have been a paperwork problem with that program.

But honestly, I have no idea how it happened. It was just very awkward...

Edit: whatever it was, was not a career-terminal condition. Hi shore duty after the boat was SOBC instructor...

Golli fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 11, 2013

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

McSpatula posted:

Please tell us that a sub is a no-salute zone and everyone is on a first name basis. Dealing with motards while confined to them for an entire deployment would probably drive me to suck start my m4.

It's not a first name basis. While on watch, watch standers are always referred to by their watch station (I.e., Engineering Watch Supervisor, etc regardless of rank. Off watch Dept Heads are referred to by their dept title, (Weps, Eng, Chop/Suppo, Nav).
, JOs are "Mr." Chief of the boat is COB. Chiefs are Chief, Senior Chief, or Master Chief. PO1 and below are either "Petty Officer" or just last names.

The practice varies by command, and even though there is more familiarity than on surface ships, there is still a need for military discipline.

quote:

What do you see when you look through the periscope while submerged? Is it just a big ol' dark void like I imagine?

The periscope is retracted while submerged, so you are correct. Even if you could access the eyepiece in the well, you wouldn't see anything. When approaching PD, the view is about what you would expect - the same view a scuba diver would have through his mask during an ascent.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Very rarely, the nav (non-nuc) ETs would get the opportunity to use the periscope to mark bearings while submerged. I could probably count on one hand how many times this happened submerged. One of the scopes had a video feed, with videotape capability. Usually this was piped to a tv on the conn, so the CO could act as a second set of eyes if coming to pd in high-traffic areas.

During port ingress/egress, surfaced - the periscope was routinely used by nav folk to mark bearings every three minutes or so, to keep us off the rocks.

Of course this was back when accurate gps was military-only. Now, they probably just slap a Garmin on the conn, and let the dulcet tones of the gps-lady guide you to safety....

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Sonar officer was one of the JO billets that was sort of 'optional' depending on staffing. Since it is a coner division, it is given to either a newly reported ensign to kill time while working on Battery Charging Lineup Officer/EEOW quals until he can rotate into an Engineering division - or to a senior LT who has finished engineer officer qual and is coasting toward shoreduty/EAOS.

In either case, no right-thinking JO would claim to be a sonar 'expert' unless they were a prior-enlisted STS. Different JOs may have a better understanding of the theory and equipment than others, but listening to fish is a very specialized skill.

A lot of the time, the billet is open, with the Weapons Officer (Dept Head)signing all the paperwork that the Sonar Chief puts in front of him.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

ded posted:

Thats not exactly true. Even on 637 boats you could shower every day. Laundry is time slotted and if no one from that dept is using it you can ask if you can do yours.

637-class, It really depended on what the operational situation was. If trying to be extra quiet, running the evaporator was one of the first things to go. Nothing like hearing "chief of the Watch. Secure the showers." Just before time to get off watch.

We had one A-ganger who made it a point to have the potable water tanks full at the end of his watch, just so he could enjoy a nice long shower afterward. He had it figured out.

When we were on Norpac (2 months), we assigned one of the cranks to be Laundry Queen. He didn't stand watch - he just did everyone's laundry, kept the dryer from catching fire and worked on quals. Pretty good deal for him. Also since the laundry was next to the designated smoking area, he was able to hang out and get the quals done while people were on smoke break. He didn't stay a nub for very long... Of course it helped that he wasn't a douche.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

We did a 6 day port visit in New Caledonia. First sub to visit there since WW2. Everyone was happy to see us, reception at the Governor-General's mansion.

Only thing was - no shore power or shore facilities, liberty launches to shore and back.

So... We got to enjoy 6 days, anchored, critical, duty officer plotting fixes every thirty minutes to make sure we weren't dragging anchor....

Eng Dept split in half. 3 days liberty, 3 days pulling port and starboard (modified) watch...

Coners (except Nav) got normal liberty schedule.

On the whole it was a cool visit, but I sure am glad that we didn't have to do that all the time. Seems like the only olde timey thing we didn't do was pull out the sextant and plot a celestial...

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

genderstomper58 posted:

not any more

god drat pussy poo poo now man

BACK IN MY DAY everyone did!!!

Yeah, pretty much had no choice. If you were in maneuvering for 6 hours with 3 smokers (especially if one was the eeow) you smoked, first or second-hand, you smoked.

By the end of my tour, smoking was pretty well done for. The new CO was some sort of health nut.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Sacrilage posted:

our Weapons Officer (Department Head) was a mouth breathing retard

Sounds familiar.

Our WEPS:
A) had Capt Kirk and Spock dolls (ACTION FIGURES) who liked to engage in perverted sex acts while he was away from his desk.
B) fell asleep standing up during training THAT HE WAS DELIVERING. He was talking, then he closed his eyes and began sliding down the wardroom wall.
C) had a wife who acted like she was the same rank as he was. Wardroom staff hated her cause she treated them like crap. The other JO wives also hated her.
D) took one year to requal OOD underway as a dept head.
E) got fired when he failed to requal EOOW

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

(Double post)

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Mad Dragon posted:

We were going to bomb Iraq back in 90-something, but the plans changed at the last minute. I think the Miami (or some other iBoat) did it instead.

USS Louisville shot the first warshot of Op Desert Storm, a Tomahawk.

Their CO got a Bronze Star. He was the rider that observed for my dolphins, and he loved to tell everyone how he got his Bronze Star...

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Rig for Ultra-quiet - all off watch personnel must remain in their racks.

For some reason we never got to run this drill.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

I meant 'for drills'. I.e., mandatory naptime.

I can neither confirm nor deny that we rigged 'For Real.' Patrol Quiet was pretty popular.

Golli fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 3, 2013

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

holocaust bloopers posted:

At what point do you guys forget that you're on a literal tube several hundred feet underwater or does that never occur?
You can't really "forget" where you are, you just learn to try not to think about it explicitly. There are too many reminders - reprocessed air, no sunlight, up and down angles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Never leave your qual card laying around. - Popeye loves signing that poo poo.

• Locked thread