Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bradass87
Mar 4, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

Baloogan posted:

What is the general procedure when you guys come across a new sonar transient? Please don't answer if its OPSEC or whatever.

I'm a bit of a sonar buff myself though I've been told in this thread that the sonars I use aren't much. :cry:

Is there a sonar officer? How many people work directly on sonar? Do you listen to the raw sonar in false color (I mean, translated the sonar sounds into sounds that humans can hear)?

How old would a sonar officer be? What is the average age on a sub?

A dream job for me would be to work on software relating to military sonars. I work on software for civilian (active) sonars.

Have any of you seen sonar from sewers? I have. I have literal poo poo filters, in hardware AND software.

Do you often use active sonar? I would think depth sounding and sea ice sounding would be useful.

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradass87
Mar 4, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

Mortabis posted:

What division handles the radar? I'm guessing radar isn't used much at all but subs do have one, right?

:stare:

bradass87
Mar 4, 2013

by Debbie Metallica
I would figure the sub world it was ok to be fat in.. I mean, where the gently caress are you gonna work out? What the gently caress kinda working out you gonna do?

I mean some dudes are naturally skinny, some naturally normal, some naturally kinda fat.. put 'em all under water for a few months I'm guessing a lot of folks got a little fat?

Or 'am I crazy?

Aren't the submarine folks the reason the Navy has so many different types of tests for Cardio, with the swimming, eliptical, bike, or run options or something?

bradass87
Mar 4, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I'm sure it's the same for most boats but we had an elliptical, a bike, a rowing machine, and a set of those adjustable dumbbells. Some people worked out and stayed relatively in shape, and some people got really fat.

All those workout machines got cut into little pieces and tossed overboard because of ORSE and we bought all new ones when we pulled back in from deployment.

What is ORSE?

And just how much stuff do these subs just randomly leave in the ocean, like trash and poo poo?

I mean I realize it's a huge ocean, and that the sea will take care of that poo poo or whatever, I'm just shocked there isn't some gay EPA/DoD reg about dumping in the ocean or something.

bradass87
Mar 4, 2013

by Debbie Metallica
When was the last time a U.S. submarine engaged and sank another submarine?

Or for that matter, when any submarine engaged another submarine in an attack?

It's gotta be.. what, World War II?

Has there been a "modern" submarine engagement at all? We can extend the definition of modern to homing torpedos and sonar in general for the purposes of these questions, not necessarily nuclear submarines only.

And have we used the SSGN's and their bazillion tomahawks yet?

bradass87
Mar 4, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

grover posted:

Do we really need to explain to you how strategic deterrents work?

No dude, I was wondering if/when it had happened bc that would be p. loving awesome.

I'm not a D&D convert or LF refugee looking to talk poo poo, I legit wonder what any submarine engagements would'a been like.. sub on sub action I mean, at least. And I legit don't know if the SSGN's did any live shooting @ real world targets

bradass87
Mar 4, 2013

by Debbie Metallica
why couldn't they make a nuclear stirling engine and forgo noisy turbines? wouldnt even need to get your fuel to critical mass, just use natural decay heat from highly enriched subcritical plutonium cores or something-- could use several to generate the heat you need and then the ocean provides the cool side for the stirling

someone who is smart with math and engineering and poo poo tell me why this is stupid pls

bradass87
Mar 4, 2013

by Debbie Metallica
there is no loving way this tactics and technics talk poo poo can possibly be kosher

we got dudes that act like the loving launch codes have been breached if you utter the most obscure reference to counter IED jamming

this poo poo has got to be way more loving critical than that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradass87
Mar 4, 2013

by Debbie Metallica
just blows my mind what is considered cool to chat up about and what gets people all freaked out and poo poo

• Locked thread