Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monkeyboy
Feb 3, 2002

If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm curious to hear from some submarine veterans on why they chose submarine duty, and would they still have chosen subs if they knew then what they know now?
Went to boot/sub school/sonar school in 1980, hit first boat in 1982. One common thread among my military family was "get a good job, take all the training you can, and stay the hell away from skimmers". And don't go nuke (that from a high school friend who did it, and hated it. Best advice ever).
And after 4 boats, and retirement, I'd still go submarines. The thought of being on some grab rear end surface vessel that's a target for anything from a sub launched cruise missile to some mental patients in a jihad speedboat is just too hosed up to contemplate. Missions in the early 80's and 90's were great, but when we were sent off the coast of some South American country to sit at PD for 30 days and listen for a fishing boat, supposedly smuggling THE DRUGS, just sealed it for me. Time to punch out.
And: 688 as a museum? gently caress no. Maybe cut the sail off and plant it in someone's yard, that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeyboy
Feb 3, 2002

Koesj posted:

drat, you were in during the salad days.

Any Blind Man's Bluff-esque stuff you are able and caring enough to talk/brag about?
Yeah, a lot of classified stuff, still on the QT. We did track the wrong guy for a week, the intended target slipped away. Our "intelligence" rider continued to declare we were tracking the right guy, even in the presence of iron clad info. That was his last run.

Best liberty: Thailand. But only before the rest of the battle group gets there, then it's a loving wild west show. Our TMC was drooling over with the chick who did the razor blade show at the Caligula in Pattaya. He would not shut the gently caress up about her. I paid the mamasan for her number badge (that was a hoot, she couldn't not understand why I wanted the badge, and not the woman. Had my own, and she didn't have anything to do with sharp pbjects in the clam).
So, we're back underway, about 3 weeks outside of P. TMC is still whining about that chick, and as the dive I've been listening to that poo poo for too long. I pull teh number badge from my pocket, and say "Oh, this chick?". Control goes deathly silent, and he comes over the planesman chair at me. Arms flailing, cursing up a storm, I'm in a ball laughing my rear end off, along with the control room party. COB storms in with the usual WTF pose. I still have that badge.

Hat's off to you current folks, with all these chickenshit rules, regs and micromanagement (officer of the deck talking directly to operators on the Virginias? gently caress that) I couldn't do it. But, when you don't have a mission, the minutiae becomes the driving factor.

Fav unclass story not involving Thai trim : Tied outboard some loving tender in Norfolk (we were a Groton boat), get some stores and poo poo after local ops, and before heading north on a spec op. Tide's ebbing, we need to get going immediately. At Manuevering Watch, I'm forward topside chief, and the tender decides to hold a nuke weapons security violation drill. So, no line handling support from the tender. Order comes from the bridge: "Cut the lines" (tender provided). I ask the talker to repeat the message. Captain leans over the playpen and yells "Cut the loving lines chief". Cheery Aye Aye. Fireaxe meets us at the weapon shipping hatch, and cutting commences. Tell ya, HY80 doesn't work well as a backstop for an axe.

Commodore and tender captain on the deck yelling down to CO, man were they pissed. His response "I don't work for you". Goddamn that man had some sack. Seriously doubt that would ever fly now.

Won the Battle "e" that year, successful op, Cap relieved at scheduled time and made admiral.

monkeyboy
Feb 3, 2002

Sacrilage posted:

E: Great Thailand story by the way. Your razor chick (or her apprentice; she looked real young) is still in business as of 6 months ago.
I wouldn't be surprised. The woman in Okinawa who did a banana show with her snake looked liked she entertained the Imperial Japanaese Navy.

monkeyboy
Feb 3, 2002

In some of the bigger places, you'd tell the mamasan what girl you wanted by her number, which was displayed on a badge.

monkeyboy
Feb 3, 2002

Heh, frocked to 7 while underway for a northern run, initiated AFTER returning to Norfolk in December. Of course, I was the only one. Besides the months of selectee abuse, they ran me through bluenose 3 times. Goats.

Also: gently caress towed arrays.

• Locked thread