Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
What kind of divisions/DIVO jobs are there on a sub? I'm familiar with an aviation squadron, but now I'm kind of curious how it's broken down on a sub. Do you have anything like a dedicated admin department?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
S-3's weren't retired until the mid-2000's, so they definitely should have been out hoovering around in 1997.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Yeah, what's worse, the smell of amine, or the smell of anime? That was how I first read it too, and it immediately produces some really unpleasant implications.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

almighty posted:

Since this is drilled in the crew's head through training, I'm almost certain that crew of Scorpion would have applied the procedure correctly. With doing that, they'd have precluded the hot running fish causing an explosion.

As a nuke, do you think it's plausible that the procedure was not applied correctly or was not applied at all so that the hot running fish led to an explosion?

Is that a procedure that can be relied on to work, or is it more of a "this gives you the smallest chance of exploding" last-ditch effort? I'm not familiar with subs, but in aviation a lot of our more extreme emergency procedures (like ditching) don't make any guarantees, it's just what the engineers have calculated to give you the best chances in an extremely lovely situation. So when I read about a case like the Scorpion, I imagine them trying that procedure but it just doesn't work in time.

• Locked thread