Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Baloogan posted:

Since the USN doesn't operate diesel subs this question might not violate OPSEC: what are the strategies for operating the diesel engines? Do they sit still while charging? When in transit do diesels move at periscope/snorkel depth or surfaced?

Yeah this is extremely classified info. You have to realize no one is going to give you any specific answers to any performance related questions or operational capabilities.

Surely you see the difference between asking about Mk14 torps in WWII and snorting strategies of modern diesel-electric boats? It comes off as kind of suspicious, even if it's just curiosity. Keep the thread alive but don't earn yourself a visit by very humorless guys in suits - I believe you're Canadian, bear in mind those particular humorless dudes are especially freaked out right now because of a couple of recent incidents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

ded posted:

Unless it is a drill or emergency you never stop the shaft from turning because it makes a real loving load noise, so you never really stop moving no matter what kind of sub it is.

Old boats like in ww1/ww2 would transit on the surface because that is how they were designed, modern boats have a much different hull shape that makes life on the surface suck so again, only drills, emergency, or going into port.

This is basic poo poo that anyone can wiki dude, relax.

Haha no you can't. Jesus.

Yes you can find answers to questions as to whether they would transit surfaced/submerged (usually submerged) whatever but not "what is the best way to avoid detection while snorting."

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Snowdens Secret posted:

I didn't really get that that was what he was asking, I think he was going for much simpler concepts. I do understand your concern, and even if it's on Wikipedia that doesn't mean we should confirm/deny it. This seems like safe territory, though (perhaps he's a craftier Canadian spy than we thought!) so I would've responded with most of what ded said.

It was a two-parter. General + near-creepy "asking for too much info." I'm not the thread police and there's plenty of neat info to read, but some of the questions asked have been pretty probing, unwittingly so or not. If you can't find the answer by Googling there's probably a pretty good reason for it, but everyone here with sub ops knowledge knows that.

I was also an E-7 equivalent kinda-STG so it could just be the no-fun gene. I hate that thing. I will bow out now and take my fun extinguisher with me.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Baloogan posted:

I stand accused of being a spy and a Canadian. :(

and I guess there is something hella secret about diesel subs.

Your 43 posts in the D&D CdnPoli thread threw me off.

• Locked thread