Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

I'm a semen, I mean Seaman, I haven't been a semen for 20 years.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Note that it's not going to a surface ship-type business day schedule (which would be a disaster) but instead stretches the existing six-hour shifts to eight. Which makes me wonder how meals are handled. But then it mentions "(they) structured shifts for officers in a way that allowed all of them to be awake and work together for part of each day." Because if there's one thing sub officers complain about it's that they don't see enough of each other.

Plus all that 'circadian rhythm' stuff is BS, as other studies have shown the only thing keeping the human body clock on a 24 hour schedule is that big burny circle in the sky, and that people in low-sun environments (Scandinavia, Antarctica etc) naturally shift to all sorts of oddball poo poo (28 hour days, etc.)

If you want a 'regular sleep schedule' on a submarine your options are a) get off the loving submarine or b) increase crew size by like 40% to be more inline with surface ship watchstander / watchstation ratios, or c) slash the poo poo out of underway training, field days and drills, all of which ain't gonna happen. The fact that the entire article is written on the word of one captain likely snowballed by his junior Os on the success of his cunning scheme, and that everyone interviewed seems to believe "stand watch for a shift, maintain/relax for a shift, sleep for a shift" is a thing that happens with any kind of consistency, fills me with unconfidence.

Here here! Cooks would make more money spending no money on midrats.... But as a NAV-ET, I could imagine that spending my time Pt/St as NavSup would be made even more miserable with long shifts like that. Not to mention, if you have a watch like Fathometer that is often augmented by offgoing and oncoming watchstanders, that is now 12 hours of continuous watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

ded posted:

gently caress that poo poo and anyone who thinks it's a good idea.

The schedule change or submarines in general?

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

Cerekk posted:

We just did 8 hour watches for 4 months and it was fantastic for everyone that wasn't a daywalker or an electrician.

I actually just brought that up to my old Eng who is in PXO right now. I assume turnover and dinner are at 1930.... how are you going to burn a flick if you cannot start until 2100....

The other thing, that bones one watch section with the midnight routine every night. Imagine trying to find offgoing JO's to rig for dive more than half way into their offgoing...

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

genderstomper58 posted:

#conerproblems

#daywalkerproblems

I was a rack guy. I do my head call as early as I can get away with, shower, and hit the rack. Beauty of QMOW is that I had the laptop to get all of my work done and write my email home while on watch...

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

I don't see message traffic much anymore... I have a SIPR for movements and that's it. Over here with the hovering navy, I'm pretty out of the loop

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

itsrobbiej posted:

Anybody on the Annapolis? I called the detailer today for orders and picked that fine boat. No guarantee I'll get it yet, but just trying to feel out the crew, atmosphere, etc.

A year ago it sucked, but that don't mean poo poo.... O-gang or enlisted?

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

A couple years ago.... we were sharing a pier with them and I watched them lower the radar on a dude's head.... he was fine... That same in-port I saw them open a main ballast tank vent in port.... A-Gang, who was on the pier having a pow-wow, sprinted towards the boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

It's a boat. Terrible things are to be expected.

• Locked thread