Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cerekk posted:

Navigation. Of course. (it's illegal for a ship that big to -not- have a radar)

It's a boat, not a ship. :cmon:

But it is still required to have an operational navigational radar according to the International Regulations to Avoid Collisions at Sea (COLREGS).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

GAS CURES KIKES posted:

Also holy gently caress I just kinda thought about it.. How loving cramped is the world back in reactor land? Is utterly retarded cramped?

Subs are loving retarded cramped in general. The plant even moreso.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

EDIT: Misread your formula.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

BlueFootedBoobie posted:

What does "blazing logs" mean? Weed?

Gundecking. Falsifying. Writing things down without actually taking readings from equipment.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

poo poo, another blue falcon incoming.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

We always had UHT on the surface side. We'd usually have fresh for about a week and UHT until we RASed or pulled into a port.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

UHT comes in boxes.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Snowdens Secret posted:

The bags we loaded milk in were like Franzia bags. I don't remember if they came that way or if they came in boxes and we took the cardboard off pierside so we wouldn't have to detrash it later.

I'm not sure if that's what Meowlins is talking about or if he means the little quart boxes you get UHT in at the grocery store

Boxes with a plastic bag inside. They were built to go in dispensers that basically milked a spout that came out of one corner of the box.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Normal milk will come in the same box type things from what I remember. They just didn't last more than a week or so.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Beria posted:

As a former ICman I resemble that remark.

So, just so I get this right, coners are non Nukes that are on a sub right? And somehow there's like a mafia of these guys? How is it not a retarded idea to let non nukes be in charge of a sub?

Subs are basically split in two. You have the aft end, which is almost entirely engineering, and the front end or "cone" that is everyone that is not engineering. Coners still have to put up with a certain amount of general sub bullshit, but they don't have to put up with nuke bullshit. This builds tension and resentment while the nukes are still on the boat after the cone went on liberty a day and a half early.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sacrilage posted:

Not anymore. I was one of the first to be volun'told. There were about 15 of us; 6 from EOD like me, 6 pilots, 3 SWO, etc.

The year after, they admitted that they were doing it: http://www.navytimes.com/article/20091024/NEWS/910240304/Academy-falls-short-sub-volunteers

EDIT: Just to be clear, for the 15 of us, it wasn't one of our "choices". Needs of the navy. I've heard stories of doing it to enlisted, but nothing first hand or really concrete.

I was voluntold to go subs as well. Admiral Donald didn't like me, despite my other two interviewers giving me the thumbs up. I was initially a SWO selectee for STA-21 which meant I couldn't technically do anything but SWO. They changed my service selection paperwork while I was on leave and made me sign it and email it back. Then when I came back selected for nuke, I raised a stink saying that I was preselect SWO and couldn't change. They tried to get me to stay SWO-N, but allowed me to switch to just plain SWO. Then about two weeks later, called me in, and told me I was volunteering for subs since I had the best math grades of my class, and I didn't have a choice in the matter. Cue a clusterfuck of an admin guy using the wrong credit card which causes me to miss my initial flight, a short trip in DC where I felt like my sinuses were going to kill me the entire time, breezing past my first two interviews, and then I got called bottom 10% twice by Donald and told to get out of his office.

This was spring 2010, btw.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Did you pick up a sub officer spot at a DESRON? Most guys I know that did that for their "shore" tour enjoyed it.

As for my interviews, knocked both first and second out of the park. I was an economics major with a math minor. They did ask a lot of math and a bit of physics. I hammered through it all without too much trouble.

I was third or fourth in line to talk to Admiral Donald. The first was the daughter of another admiral and it was all a formality. They had a polite chat from what she told me.

When I went in, I had a seat. He glanced at me once. Asked what I did prior service to get my good conduct. I told him I was a deck seaman who got into STA-21. Asked me what would make me succeed in the nuclear program. I told him I had good study skills and had never once failed at any scholastic endeavor I attempted. He said that's exactly what the bottom 10% of his nuclear officers say and asked what made me different. I said I have an impeccable record, busted my rear end from the absolute bottom of the navy and was about to commission as a result. I have the drive to do whatever I set my mind to. He dug through my transcripts and asked what my GPA was. I told him 3.65 but made sure to mention straight As in physics and an A in calc 1&3. I got a B in calc 2. He once again said my transcripts represent the bottom 10% of his students and told me we were done. Outside of the one glance at me when I walked in, he never again looked up and didn't once make eye contact with me.

I spoke with both the captain and a lieutenant (O-6 & O-3) about this afterwards while we were out having a beer. They said it was almost universal that Donald rejected prior service that weren't nukes or at least submariners. Something about the typical retention of non-nuke prior-service in the nuclear field was almost universally lower than any other form of accessions. Almost all of those that made it in were done as soon as their obligation was up. Prior-nukes/submariners almost always stuck it out for a career.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sacrilage posted:

That sucks dude; he was an asshat. Anyone who tries to rock a haircut like Donald did while in the military shouldn't be talking about bottom 10%. loving 'tarded.

Dude, I wasn't sweating it too much. I got turned down for something I was forced to do. It's not like I wanted to be a sub officer. I would have just done it begrudgingly for the pittance of a signing bonus and because it was my job.

You didn't answer my question, though. You get hooked up with a DESRON gig?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cerekk posted:

I was a prior service, SWO selected, liberal arts major voluntold to go to an interview. Told Adm. Donald I didn't want to be there and he still picked me. I always tell people I regret not tanking the interview, but I'm not really sure what else I could have done besides play an idiot during my lead-in interviews.

I can't remember, what were you when you were enlisted?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cerekk posted:

FT. All my peers from then are chiefs now. Oh well.

I thought you were a sub type, but couldn't remember for sure. That just reinforces what I thought. You already had fish. No way he'd turn you away.

Sacrilage posted:

Sorry, selective reading. Yep, working at a DESRON now. I assume it's normally a simple job, but we're well into the workup cycle, so I get to spend my days in class with pilots; 10 hours of them trying to lecture me on how to do operational planning is enough to make me alcoholic. Again.

Well, some are always better than others. I could talk for days about a pineapple DESRON. Didn't have to deal with pilots much, though.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nibbles the Shark posted:

Data point: My study-buddy/checkout partner through Power School and Prototype was a prior Marine aviation mechanic.

Dude is pretty drat awesome though. Says he made ADM Donald crack a smile during his interview.

Was he a STEM major? That will decidedly have an effect. I was just an economics major with a minor in math.

Also, if you could make that crotchety old bastard smile, I figure you're a shoe in.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Welcome to the surface navy, brah. It's not near as good on small decks but is still nice.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sacrilage posted:

We had a fire drill forward of the EPM, where there's only one plugin. I had my three stupid sailors all daisychained together, moving from CM to the EPM. At one point the dud in the back, who was in charge of pluggin into the manifolds (since he was the end guy) got panicked, and plugged himself into the forward guy. Yes, yes he did. All three of them, recirc'ing off one another.

If I had to lose a fire team, that was by far the best way.

The nub centipede.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Snowdens Secret posted:

The Navy way tends to be cleaning up the leaks forever instead of fixing whatever's leaking.
That's hardly the safest path of action, let alone the cheapest.

In fact if you have something leaking and making a mess in plain sight, that's a boon, since you can wipe up the easily accessible oil slick during your mandatory cleaning times instead of having to crawl somewhere clumsy. This is also counterproductive.

It is beneficial. As long as it's dripping, you know there's fluid pumping in there. You can keep track of how much you need to add, but you always know that there's something in there.

It's part of why you don't climb into a helicopter if it isn't leaking oil around somewhere.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Snowdens Secret posted:

Rubbish. I guarantee you there are more than enough sight glasses, flow indicators, thermometers, sound monitors etc on the drivetrain of an atomic submarine that you don't need leaky gaskets to tell you it's healthy. For that matter, by the time you noticed a change in leak rate you'd have wiped a critical bearing ages ago.

It's also rubbish if you have a leaky mess on your port side whatever and its healthy exact clone on the starboard side is sparkling clean.

Not everything is a whirlybird that needs to constantly soil itself to be happy, the Navy does have quite a bit of precision equipment.

You are mostly correct, but do you know how much time it will take to replace that part plus how much it will cost for the shipyard bubba to come out and do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

genderstomper58 posted:

This right here is the dumbest thing I think you've ever said tbh

It's an old helicopter joke. I'm not always serious when I post. :ssh:

• Locked thread