Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Foxhound posted:

Honestly a lot of times I can't tell if they're supposed to be parodies or genuine covers.

That one's definitely real. The title story involves an ancient evil shapeshifting god's plot to sink a submarine.

Another thing they often used to justify this kind of weird nonsense with Superman in particular was "red kryptonite", which would have some random wacky effect on him for 24 hours or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Railing Kill posted:

Superdickery is a goldmine for funny images from old comics. Golden Age/Silver Age Superman is a huge rear end in a top hat, even when a plot contrivance isn't forcing him to be a bad guy. There's one I was looking for that I can't find at the moment where Superman has caught Lois Lane from a rooftop freefall, and when she says something sassy, he loving drops her. It's ok, though, because he catches her again at the last second. That'll teach that hussy!

gently caress the 1950's.

Oh, yeah. When the thing about one of these is just "huh, this seems really sexist" that usually 100% is what is going on:

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Phlegmish posted:

How the hell are these not parodies.

They're aimed at making kids go ":aaa: :aaa: :aaaaa: why would this happen" and buy the issue to find out that Lois is misreading the situation and Superman is actually saving her life because her line got tangled with another astronaut's who isn't on the cover.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Speaking, several days and pages ago, of mildly amusing things found on packages of basmati rice:

• Locked thread