Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TurboTax
Oct 9, 2012

Fenchurch posted:

I have converted my roommate to the way of nachos for dinner, nachos for breakfast, nachos for lunch. The salsa counts as a vegetable, dammit!
We each have a fry pan on the stove at all times - her's is an actual cast iron skillet, mine is a 15 year old hand-me-down formerly nonstick pan with no teflon left on it. Haven't died yet.
The only dishes I've washed in a week are coffee cups.
When dinner is not nachos, dinner is Subway. When dinner is not Subway or nachos, there is no dinner.

If you're in New York it sounds like this might be the perfect dinner for you:

http://midtownlunch.com/2008/07/09/the-special-vegetarian-sandwich-at-blimpie-new-york-city-nyc/

It is Blimpie, but close enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

kastein posted:

In the winter, shower with the bathroom door open so you don't want to run the humidifier as much. Win/win, at first I was worried about excess moisture/humidity but it clears up within a few minutes of turning the water off.
I turn the heat way down at night because what feels like a great temperature when I'm going to sleep feels freezing in the morning. To compensate, I turn on the heater on the bathroom fan, and if it's really cold I'll run hot water in the shower for the minute or two I'm sitting on the toilet before getting in the shower. Once I'm done, instead of turning on the fan and wasting all that steam and heat, I leave the bathroom door and put a tower fan right outside the door to heat and humidify the rest of the house. I don't like to shower with the door open because the door is right next to the back end of the tub; as the hot air rises, cold air rushes in, and the chilly breeze on my rear end is less than pleasant while I'm still waking up.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Put the new pizza box on the old one in the fridge.

Mid-Priced Carp
Aug 10, 2008
Accidentally bought terrible coffee? Add a sprinkle of ground cinnamon to the grounds before you brew/pour water in your french press. It adds a nice flavor dimension, and covers up stale or cheap beans. :coffee:

NorskHotDog
Oct 23, 2010
I have 2 pairs of slacks which I alternate wearing to work every day. Dry clean only, which means they have never been washed and never will be.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

NorskHotDog posted:

I have 2 pairs of slacks which I alternate wearing to work every day. Dry clean only, which means they have never been washed and never will be.

Excellent

MongolArcher
Jan 2, 2009

chaniara posted:

Accidentally bought terrible coffee? Add a sprinkle of ground cinnamon to the grounds before you brew/pour water in your french press. It adds a nice flavor dimension, and covers up stale or cheap beans. :coffee:

Add a pinch of salt to that and it cuts the bitterness from crappy beans too.

TurboTax
Oct 9, 2012
I mentioned one of my bachelor recipes in the last thread (a "chicken" sandwich with a ramen seasoning packet instead of meat), but I just thought of another one. You microwave a pizza-flavored Hot Pocket, immediately make two small cuts in either end of the bottom side, insert a slice of habanero pepper into each of the cuts, and eat it while it's still boiling hot. I called it the "Death Pocket."

I believe I only made it once, but that should be enough for most people.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Great Horny Toads! posted:

Bought a little bag o' rice. Didn't want it spilling everywhere in the cupboard. Solution: Empty rum bottle. Captain Morgan's Spiced Rice.
e: Ain't even gotta scoop that poo poo. Just pour it out.

Holy goddamn crackers. That is brilliant.

My contribution: the little rotating dish thing in my microwave was making squeaky noises when it turned, so instead of finding the replacement wheel things for it, I yanked all the wheels off and replaced them with marbles. My microwave is stealthy as gently caress now.

bunnybean
Mar 31, 2010

NorskHotDog posted:

It is my experience that everybody who does not think they smell from doing this really, really stinks.

If you're lazy about laundry, the real solution is to buy a bunch of pairs so you don't have to bother for a long time. Are my pink yoga pants dirty? Good thing I have five more pairs in that color alone! I could go a month without doing laundry and wear a new outfit every day. If you have a hardon for designers, buy it off ebay used or go to Goodwill.

I've decided that some kind of designer or team shirt, a matching pair of brightly colored yoga pants, and big pair of color-coordinated knock-off Uggs (purchased in the slipper department) are all I need to look presentable day-to-day. Hubs calls my slippers my 'adult booties'. Hell yes.

bunnybean has a new favorite as of 03:23 on Mar 17, 2013

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I thought that storing rice, beans, lentils and stuff in 2 liter bottles was a standard thing. If you really want to go nuts, you can draw measuring lines on the bottles so you can just pour the right amount into your rice cooker.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Did something pretty bachelor today. I died alone in my own filth and was eaten by my cats.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

mysterious frankie posted:

Did something pretty bachelor today. I died alone in my own filth and was eaten by my cats.

did they eat your eyeballs first or is that just a myth

Zombie Pirate
Jan 3, 2009

Kitty, you wouldn't happen to have any super powers, would you?

Christoph posted:

did they eat your eyeballs first or is that just a myth

It's the crows that go for the eyeballs first. I thought everyone knew that?

I just made about a weeks worth of dinners, and probably some lunches, for under $8: slow-cooker chickpea spinach curry. The slow-cooker is one of the laziest ways to create tasty, tasty food for usually very little money as all the cheapest cuts of meat are ideal to slow-cook. And you generally don't have to worry about it boiling over or anything like that. Unless you fill it way too full and leave it on 'high'.

If you're dusting (not that everyone here is into that sort of thing) used dryer sheets work really, really well. If, you know, you use dryer sheets. Or do laundry.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Since my ex is moving out, I've turned the master bedroom in the three bedroom apartment I share into a bitchin' batch pad. Posters of Jim Morrison and Soviet propaganda cover the walls, I disassembled her makeshift pagan altar (old mini-fridge) and moved it next to the bed and filled it to capacity with beer that I can reach over and grab with one movement, I've continued the proud goon tradition of the showerbeer, the bedroom floor is the clothes depository until I feel like folding them, old candles are used to level out tables that are uneven, and I'm seriously considering getting a clear waterbed and filling it with fish because I can.

Illegibly Eligible
Jul 21, 2009

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I thought that storing rice, beans, lentils and stuff in 2 liter bottles was a standard thing. If you really want to go nuts, you can draw measuring lines on the bottles so you can just pour the right amount into your rice cooker.

Or just use jar sizes accordingly. I used to store rice in 1/2 pint jars because that's how much I'd make at a time. Then I got smart and would just fill a 2.5 gallon lidded bucket with rice and use the jar to scoop it. Bachelor 101 is buying stuff with long shelf life (like dry, frozen, and canned goods) in bulk. For those of you out there like myself who are not big fans of beans, dried peas keep well and are nutrient-rich.

In regards to buckets full of dried foods, in my immediately-post-highschool bachelor days I had 10 of them in my living room. That's 25 gallons of dry rice, peas, carrots, corn, rotini noodles, rice flour, and other staples. Being a utilitarian, they were used as furniture by resting boards on them (and generally covering them with fabric so it didn't look like I had boards sitting on buckets all over the place). It's kind of a bitch to have to disassemble your coffee table to make a meal, but when you're eating well at less than $100/month rather than putting ketchup on saltines until payday it's worth the 10 minutes of effort.

Most bachelor thing I did this week was laundry. On Monday. Tossed a load of shirts in the washer at 1am then ended up falling asleep... didn't remember I had clothes in the machine until Thursday when one of my roomates had to do her laundry. Obviously I had to rewash them, but being twice as clean means I can wear them twice as many times until they need washing again, right?

Second most bachelor thing? Used a leaf blower instead of a shovel to clear my driveway/sidewalk of snow.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

bunnybean posted:

I've decided that some kind of designer or team shirt, a matching pair of brightly colored yoga pants, and big pair of color-coordinated knock-off Uggs (purchased in the slipper department) are all I need to look presentable day-to-day. Hubs calls my slippers my 'adult booties'. Hell yes.

If you're not on your way to yoga, you look ridiculous. It's the spoiled middle-class white girl equivalent to wearing sleep pants to Wal-Mart. Sorry your husband refuses to tell you that he hates it.

For content, if I'm making breakfast for myself, and we have leftover pot roast from one meal, and leftover rice from another (we usually do), I'll fry a couple of eggs, heat the rice and meat in the same pan afterwards(add a little oil and milk to keep from drying out), put it all in a bowl, toss some shredded cheese on it, microwave for 30 seconds to melt the cheese, and you have your very own Skip's Scramble.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

kizudarake posted:

For content, if I'm making breakfast for myself, and we have leftover pot roast from one meal, and leftover rice from another (we usually do), I'll fry a couple of eggs, heat the rice and meat in the same pan afterwards(add a little oil and milk to keep from drying out), put it all in a bowl, toss some shredded cheese on it, microwave for 30 seconds to melt the cheese, and you have your very own Skip's Scramble.

I do this, but I skip the rice and sautee an onion instead, maybe use a little bacon in there too if I have a slice or two around, plus anything else in my kitchen that's not nailed down. Hell, once I used some leftover General Tso's Chicken and added some of the sauce and the end, and it was a really tasty but really unhealthy breakfast.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Everywhere I've ever had my computer desk at has an accompanying hidden spot for placing boogers.

Zombie Pirate
Jan 3, 2009

Kitty, you wouldn't happen to have any super powers, would you?

HonorableTB posted:

I'm seriously considering getting a clear waterbed and filling it with fish because I can.

Do not do this. The fish will die. They will not be able to get air properly, and you will not be able to clean it properly. I know they did it in a James Bond movie, but it doesn't work in real life. :( You could do it with fake fish or rubber ducks or something, but not live fish.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zombie Pirate posted:

Do not do this. The fish will die. They will not be able to get air properly, and you will not be able to clean it properly. I know they did it in a James Bond movie, but it doesn't work in real life. :( You could do it with fake fish or rubber ducks or something, but not live fish.

Yeah, if you've ever owned an aquarium, you know you have to change a large portion of the water at LEAST every two weeks. There'd be no real way to do that with a waterbed. Not to mention the most obvious problem: how would you feed them?

bunnybean
Mar 31, 2010

kizudarake posted:

If you're not on your way to yoga, you look ridiculous. It's the spoiled middle-class white girl equivalent to wearing sleep pants to Wal-Mart. Sorry your husband refuses to tell you that he hates it.
Thanks for passing internet judgement on me, weirdo. I'll be sure to file that away in my Unsolicited Internet Opinions filing cabinet, assuming I can still find room.

Currently eating soup with a ladle. Spoons :arghfist:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Poopelyse posted:

Everywhere I've ever had my computer desk at has an accompanying hidden spot for placing boogers.

I call this spot 'the underside'. :smith:

TurboTax
Oct 9, 2012

Poopelyse posted:

A less disgusting, if more complicated, booger idea is to keep some newspapers or magazines you've finished reading next to your desk or computer chair. When you strike green gold, just tear off a strip of the magazine, put the booger inside it, and crumple it up.

Of course, you could also just buy a box of Kleenex, but if you're already wasting money on an obsolete medium you might as well stretch those dollars a little further.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Crashing on a friends L-shaped couch after a goonmeet and it's about 2 feet too short? Drag an office chair over and line it up at the end of the couch. Sleep in comfort.

DukeMan
Mar 28, 2010

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Successfully bayoneted a mouse with a Mosin-Nagant M44.

My M7 bayonet has tasted the blood of many invading insects.:black101:

Thought you were safe in the corner where the boot can't reach you, didn't you, you sons o' bitches!

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Cold in bed in the winter? Put on more blankets.
Still too cold? Wear clothes to bed.
Still cold? Drink Whisky.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

bobthedinosaur posted:

For a while this winter I had a comforter, two polar fleece blankets, some bath towels, and a summer camping sleeping bag laid out over the sheets on my bed. It was awesomely warm even on the coldest, windiest days of the winter when the temperature dipped into the mid 30s inside overnight.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I have definitely used laundry and towels at one point or another.
Now it's all about an electric blanket under the sheets, under me, and under that bundle of bedding.

edit:
Crock pots make meals for like an entire week and only take like twenty minutes max for prep. I have survived off my crock pot/slow cooker for years now.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

bobthedinosaur posted:

Don't drink whisky. It makes you feel warmer but it actually lowers your core body temperature.

e: vv Granted, just thought I'd mention it.

razorrozar has a new favorite as of 09:38 on Mar 18, 2013

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

razorrozar posted:

Don't drink whisky. It makes you feel warmer but it actually lowers your core body temperature.
That would be more relevant if your pressing concern was hypothermia rather than feeling toasty warm.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
Through cold Norwegian winters, the only heating in my room is a huge, old monitor. During summer i don't use that monitor.

CanUSayGym
Aug 19, 2006

Hmm? Vincent van Gogh fuck myself?
Survey says?

bobthedinosaur posted:

I have definitely used laundry and towels at one point or another.
Now it's all about an electric blanket under the sheets, under me, and under that bundle of bedding.

edit:
Crock pots make meals for like an entire week and only take like twenty minutes max for prep. I have survived off my crock pot/slow cooker for years now.

I need to be less lazy and become more "bachelor" by breaking out my electric blanket and take my crockpot out of the box it's in on top of my fridge. I definitely need a few good recipes before I get it out first.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

CanUSayGym posted:

I need to be less lazy and become more "bachelor" by breaking out my electric blanket and take my crockpot out of the box it's in on top of my fridge. I definitely need a few good recipes before I get it out first.

Get meat

Put in pot

Hit button

Congrats!

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Awww, man! I'm totally gonna see if I can heat my bedroom with my Volcano vaporizer. Anyone ever try? Does/would it work?

Illegibly Eligible
Jul 21, 2009
Today I woke up at 3am and went fishing. Perch for breakfast! Had a pile of fish guts in the kitchen sink while cleaning the fish. Down the garbage disposal they went. The unbachelor part is the timeliness with which I disposed of them and the additional sacrifice of citrus fruit to make the kitchen lemony fresh afterward.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

Get meat

Put in pot

Hit button

Congrats!

To expand upon this:

Get a meat. Preferably lovely stew meat that's dirt cheap.

Quarter potatoes and onions.

Put in pot. Cover with broth.

Hit butan.

Go to work/sleep off your breakfast whiskey.

Eat delicious stew.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I hate doing laundry and will put it off as much as possible.

When I run out of clean underwear and don't feel like doing laundry, I'll wear the pairs that are least soiled inside out, and I'll take a blow dryer to get that fresh from the dryer feeling. Same thing goes for socks. Usually when this happens it's laundry time.

I'll wear the same pair of pants and shirt for a few days, like I'm a loving cartoon character. Even if the clothes are stained. Clean clothes are worn if I'm actually going out to do something.

When I actually do get around to doing laundry, I won't bother folding the clothes and putting them away, they'll stay in the basket and I'll take out fresh clothes as I need them.

Making the bed is a waste of time and pointless so I don't do it.

When I make pasta, I don't bother cooking the sauce, just dump it right from the jar, the spaghetti usually warms it up.

I eat leftover pizza cold, I think it tastes better that way.

I have wires and electronic crap all over my room.

CanUSayGym
Aug 19, 2006

Hmm? Vincent van Gogh fuck myself?
Survey says?

cobalt impurity posted:

To expand upon this:

Get a meat. Preferably lovely stew meat that's dirt cheap.

Quarter potatoes and onions.

Put in pot. Cover with broth.

Hit butan.

Go to work/sleep off your breakfast whiskey.

Eat delicious stew.

You'll never guess what comes with the crockpot :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digihazard
Nov 2, 2010

If you place the milk in before the bag, I will kill you and your family while they sleep.
I stir my tea with spaghetti sticks

Also, I used to drink tea out of a 3 liter jug with a straw when I was playing games, so i could just lean over

• Locked thread