Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Junji Ito's the best. If you read Cat Diaries, he talks about his obsessive-compulsive disorder. You can really see it in his stories: they're all about obsessions and compulsions. Amigara Fault is probably his best, but Uzumaki visits a lot of the same themes and body horror, so anyone who liked Amigara should definitely check it out.

Thanks for recommending Cat Diary. I hadn't read it, but it's fantastic. It's simultaneously unnerving and completely hilarious.

I really hope he doesn't actually view his wife like that in real life!

Sid Vicious posted:

I haven't read any of these, which collection is it from? I purchased Museum of Horror (Terror?) volumes 1-3, two of them were strictly Tomie stories, which I also quite enjoy, and the other was just short stories. Sadly none of them included Uzumaki or Enigmara Fault :(

I'm pretty sure Amigara Fault is included in the Gyo releases, but I believe they are out of print and super expensive.

You can still get Uzumaki, though. 3 volumes and absolutely horrific/fantastic. Definitely my favourite work of his.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007
:sidvicious:

scarycave posted:

I read them awhile ago online, I bumped into them when I was crawling around the internet, I think they were issues that were only released in Japan, and were translated into English by some die-hard Junji-Ito fans. If you look around, I'm sure you can find a fan-translation somewhere. Hopefully this doesn't violate any rules though.

There are some stories that haven't been translated yet that I've been interested in - one called the groaning drain that was made into a movie. I found a gif on a site that animated a few of Junji's panels and I've been looking for it ever since.

It's a shame he doesn't get too much publicity, I never even heard of the guy until I found his stuff in the Tv-Tropes nightmare fuel section when I used to look for scary stuff.

Oh okay thanks, I have Manga Storm on my iPod, maybe they have it on there. I also hope this isn't like admitting to :filez: or anything like that, as far as I know its all stuff that hasn't been released here, all fan translations.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

scarycave posted:

Welp, after reading some stuff on Beasts of Burden, I thought I would share my personal experience.
Just a heads up if you read more of it: one of the later stories is about missing puppies and if you're an animal person it will probably make you cry a lot.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Just a heads up if you read more of it: one of the later stories is about missing puppies and if you're an animal person it will probably make you cry a lot.

Too late. I saw a preview for that online too. I did feel a bit bad, but then that happened and it pretty much turned to shock at one point. I also saw the bit with the sheep which was pretty entertaining. It certainly looks like it knows how to build up tension and shock in just the right way.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sid Vicious posted:

Do you know if the artist of this also drew the story from Completely Doomed about fur trappers? I can't remember the title of the story offhand, the art is just really similar, which is a very good thing.

I have a weird interest in stories about fur trappers. Does anyone else know anything about this?

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I have a weird interest in stories about fur trappers. Does anyone else know anything about this?

I can't even find the title at the moment, I'll take a look and see if my copy made the move with me. I can't scan or anything, besides me being scared that it would be :filez:, I just don't have a scanner.

Edit: Its called Pelts, it was written by F. Paul Wilson and illustrated by James A. Owen, I bought the TPB strictly because I love horror, and I hadn't seen many other collections at my local comic shop. I believe it is all adapted from short stories, I could be wrong though.

Edit 2: Answered my own question, different illustrator.

Sid Delicious fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 19, 2013

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

Sid Vicious posted:

I haven't read any of these, which collection is it from? I purchased Museum of Horror (Terror?) volumes 1-3, two of them were strictly Tomie stories, which I also quite enjoy, and the other was just short stories. Sadly none of them included Uzumaki or Enigmara Fault :(

Those stories were from two collections called "Voices in the Dark" and "New Voices in the Dark," if you're looking for the exact titles. They haven't been officially released in English yet, though I heard some rumors a while back that someone (probably Viz) picked up at least the first volume. One of those volumes also features "Anything But a Ghost", which is one of my favorite Ito short stories.

"Mystery of Amigara Fault" was reprinted in the Gyo volumes, along with a short (bio?) comic about how Ito lost his poo poo as a kid. Literally. If there's a Borders or similar bookstore around you that's liquidating it's stock, you might find a copy there. I got mine about a year back when the local Borders closed.

Also really jealous of your copy of Museum of Horror vol. 3.

Unknowable Hole
Feb 2, 2005

Pillbug
I feel like Revival belongs here but I'm probably too dumb about the genre to know why I'm wrong.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

E the Shaggy posted:

Everyone needs to read Scott Snyder's "Severed". Amazing, scary as hell horror comic.

I really want to second this. The first chapter/issue is kind of cliche and stupid but that's just to hook you in so you know that they aren't pulling any punches. From that point on it starts into a very slow burn of horror.

Even the art feels so perfectly in place in the horror genre. It's not a perfect book but it gets so many things right. Too many things are listed as horror just because there's a monster in it.

Take Ferals for example. It's a werewolf comic but there's nothing scary at all about it. It's a cheesy pulp action comic about gore and violence. They don't even try to make it scary, just bloody.

Severed however really tries to push the feeling of horror in everything it does. Never once do you feel any of the characters are safe.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

captainoblivious posted:

I feel like Revival belongs here but I'm probably too dumb about the genre to know why I'm wrong.
I'm not sure how I feel about Revival. I read the first issue and kind of forgot about it because I was going though some serious zombie comic fatigue. I thought about picking up the trade when I saw it a few weeks ago but as I was talking with some people at my shop about it they made it sound like it was only really written to be picked up as a TV show by USA or TNT for some of those sweet Walking Dead ad dollars. I probably won't buy the trade, but maybe I'll see if I can get it at the library so I can judge for myself.

I like the setting though. Mid-west horror always strikes a chord with me.

Anyway, I discovered that I had bought the giant Dylan Dog collection that Dark Horse put out and never finished it. It's not bad! His sidekick is kind of distracting and one of the stories about him rescuing a kid who was being raised just for replacement organs for his brother went on for a little too long but it has lots of nice crisp art and for the most part it's a fun supernatural adventure book.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sid Vicious posted:

Amigara Fault is at the end of volume two of Gyo, along with something else, to pad out the second volume.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Did anyone else find Gyo to be a bit disappointing? To me it felt like he was trying to tell a bigger story and then ran out of time? The ending just feels rushed and I feel it doesn't stack up to his other longer stories. Of course I read it right after reading Uzumaki so it might just be that it pales in comparison in my eyes.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dr. Hurt posted:

Did anyone else find Gyo to be a bit disappointing? To me it felt like he was trying to tell a bigger story and then ran out of time? The ending just feels rushed and I feel it doesn't stack up to his other longer stories. Of course I read it right after reading Uzumaki so it might just be that it pales in comparison in my eyes.

As much as I love Ito, I don't find Gyo all that entertaining. It starts out great and has a lot of good body horror business in it, but it tapers out pretty quickly. When it gets into the weird circus stuff I just completely tune out. It's definitely nowhere near as good as Uzumaki.

I watched the anime adaptation over the weekend and it was also pretty loving bad.

Rose Wreck
Jun 15, 2012

Dr. Hurt posted:

If he ran out of time, getting lost on the way (seriously, what is with that carnival sequence? It can't be dismissed as a dream) didn't help him. Hellstar Remina also felt like it had the same drawbacks. What he does, he does very well, but Uzumaki built in the physics-shattering unreality and the sense the world was bending before it really got crazy.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Man, I love the poo poo out of Gyo. The first half balances wacky with otherworldly really well and the second half goes full-bore into some of the most gross, primally disturbing and darkly funny body horror I've ever encountered. I might like it more than Uzumaki.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Anybody have any good essays or discussions on Amigara Fault? Something that talks about why it's so unsettling and memorable?

Also, I came across this blog, and found myself oddly enjoying it before I remembered the "This is my hole!!! It was made for me!" scene and got really worried about myself.

Chinaman7000 fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 19, 2013

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Chinaman7000 posted:

Anybody have any good essays or discussions on Amigara Fault? Something that talks about why it's so unsettling and memorable?

Also, I came across this blog, and found myself oddly enjoying it before I remembered the "This is my hole!!! It was made for me!" scene and got really worried about myself.

I don't have any essays, but some of the things I find scary about it is the little-to know explanation why this is happening.
There's a mention of something from the past having occurred but why its happening now, to everyone apparently is never explained.
Also it feels like its about peer-pressure and conformity - everyone's doing it! Drrrr Drrrrr.

If that scene bothers you, there's a ton of edits out there that make it hilarious.

Also, I feel that theres a bigger central theme to the story than it lets on.
Everyone somehow is able to identify their own private holes, and the way that they obsess over it
makes it feel like their the same. That they don't want to lose who they are, and this imprint is just that - their figure immortalized. In essence they're becoming one with their true selves, unable to resist temptations, not fearing what comes next, and at the same time - losing themselves completely, by the end - you can barely tell they were even human.

scarycave fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 19, 2013

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life
Back home i have a long box full of old Weird War Tales, awesome anti-war horror anthology.
They remade it recently but the old stuff will always fascinate me.
Make war no more

Rose Wreck
Jun 15, 2012

scarycave posted:

In essence they're becoming one with their true selves, unable to resist temptations, not fearing what comes next, and at the same time - losing themselves completely, by the end - you can barely tell they were even human.

The best part is when you realize their coming back out into the world was as much an accident as the holes becoming exposed to the light again in the first place. If it hadn't been for the earthquake there would be no "other side" for them to come out of.

Never mentioned in the whole thing, but I think realizing that hit me harder than the ending.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

scarycave posted:

I don't have any essays, but some of the things I find scary about it is the little-to know explanation why this is happening.

I completely agree. So many horror narratives are denatured by this bizarre need for satisfaction and resolution (how many horror movies have you seen where the sense of dread is killed in the final reel by a tacked-on "because... INDIAN BURIAL GROUND!" or "because... DEVIL WORSHIP!"?) when, transparently, the things that frighten us most are those which have no rational explanation.

Most of Junji Ito's work is the epitome of the "uncaring universe" trope - terrible poo poo just happens without cause or solution, and often only the protagonists and the reader notice that anything is amiss. Although I love Gyo, I think it's one of his weaker stories, purely because of the lengthy explanations of the mechanics and history of the death robots. Whereas, say, The Town Without Streets makes an inexplicable but relatively tiny tweak to basic cultural norms - what we consider to be rational behaviour - and shows just how transient and fragile human society is, and how little it has to change to become horrifying and unrecognisable.

Although it's about as far from Junji Ito's methodology as you can get, I'd nonetheless like to recommend Nakayama Masaaki's Fuan no Tane (Seeds of Anxiety). It's the manga equivalent of creepypasta: a three-volume collection of extremely short, simplistic, and formulaic stories that typically consists of 2-3 pages of setup, followed by...

...A SCARY THING :stare:

Seriously, it's about as subtle and nuanced as loving Insidious or something, but it's still fun and pretty drat creepy in places.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

I forgot all about Fuan no Tane! I usually read it and send it to my friends around Halloween. The stories range from kind of cute to generally unnerving. I think it really works that a lot of the stories feel like randomly compiled illustrated urban legends. Things like the Ear-Slashing Monk sound exactly like something my older brother would tell me to try to freak me out.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Dr. Hurt posted:

I think it really works that a lot of the stories feel like randomly compiled illustrated urban legends.

I legitimately thought that some of them were! Especially the Ear-Slashing Monk... brrr.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dr. Hurt posted:

It does seem to just kind of peter out with the main character just standing there not knowing what to do.

Anyone else notice that Japanese horror stories seem to end on a downer note more often than not? While Western horror kills a lot of characters someone usually wins in the end while a lot of Japanese horror that I've read/seen pretty much ends up with EVERYBODY DIES.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Speaking of Gyo...has anyone ever seen the anime version?
Was hoping for something a bit more...Junji.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'm sure everyone's seen The Bongcheon-Dong Ghost by now, and it's really just jump scares rather than proper horror, but I got a kick out of it.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 19, 2013

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Any recs on the grandly terrifying cosmic-horror side of things?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

captainoblivious posted:

I really like Revival, but it's increasingly getting into psychological horror rather than monster-movie stuff, and it's got a heavy focus on interplay within a large cast of characters. I'm probably too jaded to really think of it as a scary book, but I'd recommend it for people with a lower fright threshold than mine.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Wachter posted:

Most of Junji Ito's work is the epitome of the "uncaring universe" trope - terrible poo poo just happens without cause or solution, and often only the protagonists and the reader notice that anything is amiss. Although I love Gyo, I think it's one of his weaker stories, purely because of the lengthy explanations of the mechanics and history of the death robots. Whereas, say, The Town Without Streets makes an inexplicable but relatively tiny tweak to basic cultural norms - what we consider to be rational behaviour - and shows just how transient and fragile human society is, and how little it has to change to become horrifying and unrecognisable.

Seriously, Ito's stories are the closest approximations to actual nightmares I've ever seen in fiction. Abstract/impossible things just happen and people never question them like rational human beings would, because there is no escape. That's probably part of why I think Gyo fails in some key ways - it's much more conventionally structured and doesn't have that lucid dream-like quality most of his stories do. And that's, for me, the primary reason his stories stick with me so vividly, because in some weird way they trigger the same primal impulses in my mind that nightmares do. It's actually a pretty incredible feat.

Note that I've been on an Ito binge for the past week or so, catching up with the stuff I haven't read, and he definitely also has some stinkers in between. The one with the two comedian ladies comes to mind; maybe that's scarier if you're into Japanese comedy, I don't know.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 20, 2013

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

Darth Walrus posted:

Hellboy and BPRD have that angle locked up pretty tight, but if you want a good Lovecraft story with a slightly different feel you might check out Fatale by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips. It's about an immortal woman being pursued by a cult that worships a dark god that granted her that power. It's not really scary but it's a good story, well told.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Hakkesshu posted:

Seriously, Ito's stories are the closest approximations to actual nightmares I've ever seen in fiction. Abstract/impossible things just happen and people never question them like rational human beings would. That's probably part of why I think Gyo fails in some key ways - it's much more conventionally structured and doesn't have that lucid dream-like quality most of his stories do. And that's, for me, the primary reason his stories stick with me so vividly, because in some weird way they trigger the same primal impulses in my mind that nightmares do. It's actually a pretty incredible feat.

Note that I've been on an Ito binge for the past week or so, catching up with the stuff I haven't read, and he definitely also has some stinkers. The one with the two comedian ladies comes to mind; maybe that's scarier if you're into Japanese comedy, I don't know.

Some of the fear is reduced by the fact that the main antagonists ghosts will tickle you to death if you don't laugh at their jokes. It's scary in a sense though that you have to find it funny or they'll kill you .
Possible jab at main-stream fads?

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

scarycave posted:

Some of the fear is reduced by the fact that the main antagonists ghosts will tickle you to death if you don't laugh at their jokes. It's scary in a sense though that you have to find it funny or they'll kill you .
Possible jab at main-stream fads?

It's absolutely a jab at fad comedy. Look up Sekai no Nabeatsu. He was a one hit wonder about 3 or 4 years back who's shtick consisted of counting, just counting, only he'd say every multiple of 3 and number that contained a "3" in a "wacky" way. Here's the best clip I could find. He's got other T.V. personalities doing the weird numbers for him, but you get the idea. He was huge for months and if someone told me his popularity was due to some sort of unholy ghost powers, I'd have believed it.

Also echoing the recommendation for Fuan no Tane. I especially liked the one about the haunted children's wing. "Hey! Hey, I'm a baby! Hold me!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

Try Richard Corben's adaptation of The House on the Borderland.

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007

Wachter posted:

Although it's about as far from Junji Ito's methodology as you can get, I'd nonetheless like to recommend Nakayama Masaaki's Fuan no Tane (Seeds of Anxiety). It's the manga equivalent of creepypasta: a three-volume collection of extremely short, simplistic, and formulaic stories that typically consists of 2-3 pages of setup, followed by...

...A SCARY THING :stare:

Seriously, it's about as subtle and nuanced as loving Insidious or something, but it's still fun and pretty drat creepy in places.

Has this been released stateside? Because it sounds like its just up my alley, as stupid as the name is creepypasta is one of my favorite forms of fiction now. The only reason I ever visit reddit is because /nosleep exists and is basically the ghost story thread from here condensed in a way where I can read the stories and not have to read people's comments.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Chinaman7000 posted:

To me, it strikes this incredible two-birds-with-one-stone psychological horror. On one end, it's the horror of our primal urges, and how outgunned our consciousness really is up against our emotions. As much as we want to forget and walk away from our hole, it takes a level of willpower that would crush almost anyone. But it's also a story of conscious horror: humans born in an existential era where we struggle our whole life carving out a purpose for ourself, and suddenly there is this cosmic answer, this place where you literally fit in. How could anyone resist a calling that unambiguous? And what happens when that purpose turns out to be nothing more than an inescapable, horrifying coincidence? The victims of the fault are robbed of everything, trapped inside an unending, meaningless suffering.

Watcher posted:

It's like the J-horror equivalent of The Mysteries of Harris Burdick! Honestly, these types of stories inspire way more childish joy than anything resembling horror. :sax:

snucks fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 20, 2013

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Sid Vicious posted:

Has this been released stateside? Because it sounds like its just up my alley, as stupid as the name is creepypasta is one of my favorite forms of fiction now. The only reason I ever visit reddit is because /nosleep exists and is basically the ghost story thread from here condensed in a way where I can read the stories and not have to read people's comments.

I don't think it's ever been picked up for US release. It has all been fan translated and online but of course that's when you get into :filez: territory I suppose.

That comedy-ghost story does actually make a lot more sense now when viewing it in the context of weird Japanese comedy. They honestly reminded me of an evil version of the two terrible comedians from Cromartie High School.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't think :filez: is a problem, since most Japanese publishers don't give a poo poo about fan translations and have no intention of releasing niche horror stuff in English anyway. Also we've already been linking to some of Ito's stories online since the first page. Even Waterhaul did it. I assume it's perfectly okay?

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darth Walrus posted:

Not to get to spoiler-ie but I Don't think you would be disappointed with reading the Uzumaki everybody's talking about, or more literally you should check out his work Hellstar Remina:

Also Richard Corbin and a lot of the old guard "weird Comics" dudes are good for your dose of existential dread by way of cosmic insignificance.

Speaking of that I have never really been a fan of modern "fun" horror stuff that mitigates the terror with so much character agency and fun violence. It always reads more like power fantasy or wish fulfillment to me than anything scary.
Can anybody recommend me something non-Japanese and recent that gets horrific in a psychological/philosophical way, and not just on a "here are the tropes of horror + silly gore" level?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Try Richard Corben's adaptation of The House on the Borderland.

Definitely seconding this. It was the second Corben thing I read after Hard Time (one of the more straight-up horror story Hellblazer arcs, also excellent) and right away I knew I had stumbled upon something special.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

For those wanting to read Hellblazer but never had the chance, its on sale right now on Comixology for a dollar a pop. I'm not sure entirely if the sale is just for today or for the entire weekend. For those interested, I suggest read the first year of Delano's run (or just 11, Newcastle a Taste of Things to Come) and then skip straight to Garth Ennis starting around issue 34 and ending at 133. Warren Ellis's run (134-143) and Mike Carey's run (175-215) are some of my favorites as well, but really most of the series is worth checking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I quested HARD to buy all the Taboos. Love in the afternoon and chigger were the best.

• Locked thread