Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Chigger is a weird story and the fact that Keith Giffen drew it makes it even weirder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Rise from your grave thread with some Richard Corben.

From Haunt of Horror #1 - Edgar Allen Poe.

I actually liked both Marvel Max series that he did and they're worth it if you enjoy his current Poe work.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
That was amazing. I never even knew such a thing existed. Totally ordering it from my local comic book shop.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Wachter posted:

Although it's about as far from Junji Ito's methodology as you can get, I'd nonetheless like to recommend Nakayama Masaaki's Fuan no Tane (Seeds of Anxiety). It's the manga equivalent of creepypasta: a three-volume collection of extremely short, simplistic, and formulaic stories that typically consists of 2-3 pages of setup, followed by...

...A SCARY THING :stare:

Seriously, it's about as subtle and nuanced as loving Insidious or something, but it's still fun and pretty drat creepy in places.

Insidious is very nuanced, it's a Good Film. Fuan no Tane really gets me, though, I think it's just the extreme repetition of the stories and themes.

muscles like this? posted:

Try Richard Corben's adaptation of The House on the Borderland.

Hi, all, Richard Corben megafan here. I don't know why this bothers me so much.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Any one else reading Ferals? What the gently caress is going on in it?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Volume posted:

Any one else reading Ferals? What the gently caress is going on in it?

I think Ferals, like a lot of his work can be, is just David Lapham trying to see how gross he can make something and still get paid for it. His Avatar stuff just seems to be extreme grossness without any real weight behind it.

Also for everybody with good taste there's a new Corben out today. Another adaptation of Fall of the House of Usher. It's alright, nothing too mind breaking or that but more Corben is always a good thing. It's also got some brief sketches in the back which is interesting to see Corbens process and where he's coming from, especially as a guy that has done so much Poe.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
I was kind of expecting something...weirder I guess with the new Corben Poe. The man still draws a mean corpse and spooky house though.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I seem to have read pretty much all the junji ito comics there are to be had, are there any other manga artists/writers like him that do the kind of horror short story really well?

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I seem to have read pretty much all the junji ito comics there are to be had, are there any other manga artists/writers like him that do the kind of horror short story really well?

Kanako Inuki's School Zone (three volumes) has a few stories in it that remind me of Ito in weirdness. It's just good horror manga overall - captures that sense of youth alienation and "no one can help you" very well.

I talked about it earlier but the gist is that it's set in a school that is known to have 13 ghost stories. If all 13 are told, it is said that the school will be destroyed. Each story in the volumes is one of the 13 stories, but they all tie together and the finale wouldn't make sense without having read the earlier stories.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
I haven't read it yet, but if you're looking for a longer form horror manga Attack on Titan has recently taken off like a rocket. It looks pretty good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Fuan no Tane is essential at this point.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

scarycave posted:

Speaking of Gyo...has anyone ever seen the anime version?
Was hoping for something a bit more...Junji.

I had no idea there was an animated version. Not sure how I'd keep a straight face with all the fart noises. Yes I am a child.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

snucks posted:

It is one, more or less. Part of the horror comes from the fact that it's hard to tell if the author's using the campy, kind-of-poorly-drawn hentai aesthetic as a way of upping the abhorrence factor or if he genuinely finds this poo poo erotic. :gonk:

I can answer that, and it's not the answer you want.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

SynthOrange posted:

I had no idea there was an animated version. Not sure how I'd keep a straight face with all the fart noises. Yes I am a child.

There's a-lot more...er...penetration in this one, and the girl friend is the lead now.
And yes, they do show farts. There's literally a scene with a dog strapped to a table that's shot in some science lens that makes farts visible. You really got to love how Junji plays around with the silliest things sometimes - though the movie tends to play it a lot more seriously (from the clips I've seen on Youtube) while the comic had a campy-b movie feel. Ga-Shunk.

Here's a trailer for it I found:
:nws:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g64U-_xV0kI

It looks really nice though. Though the feeling is completely different than the comic.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I thought the Gyo anime was pretty bad, but I'm also not a huge fan of the original.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Hakkesshu posted:

I thought the Gyo anime was pretty bad, but I'm also not a huge fan of the original.

I wasn't too big on the anime either, I can't deny that it does have some visual appeal.
I think Gyo is what actually got me into Junji, I found the Ga-Shunk image and I traced it back to the source.
I read through it, and Amigra fault.

I didn't find Gyo to be scary, but I did find it kind of funny, which is why I kept reading it. From that comedian discussion a page or two ago, its clear that Junji gets some enjoyment of making the most mundane things terrifying, spirals, balloons, "comedians", love, age, sleep, that old lady neighbor who just wants someone to talk to, and just goes loving nuts. I think his best works though are the ones where nothings explained, like that one where people get sucked up into the sky, so the town builds a giant net to catch them when they start falling, turns out they were dead before they hit the net and there's no explanation for anything at all.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Any recommendations for Western horror comics? Something in the vein of Hellboy,BPRD (which Im woefully behind on, vol.6 of the main series)or Baltimore? Something especially like the horror comics from the 50s, or along the lines of Weird War Tales. I'll even try reading any manga that are along the lines of WWT.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Oh yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and give a shout-out to the two Zombie MAX mini-series Marvel put out. They're nothing fantastic, but the first one is a very solidly done classic Night of the Living Dead type story with over the top violence and "man is the real monster" moments. The sequel evolves the nature of the undead plague and adds in some new twists that I won't spoil.

Like I said, nothing too special, but the art is pretty good and they're certainly better than something like "The Zombies that Ate the World" or really, almost any modern comic with Zombie in the title.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There are some good Hellraiser books that are just stand alones that tell stories of people interacting with the puzzle box.

In a more "Twin Peaks" vibe there's Warren Ellis' short lived Fell series. Its about a cop, Richard Fell, who makes some unspecified gently caress up that gets him transferred to the nightmarish Snowtown where everything is just off.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

KomradeX posted:

Any recommendations for Western horror comics? Something in the vein of Hellboy,BPRD (which Im woefully behind on, vol.6 of the main series)or Baltimore? Something especially like the horror comics from the 50s, or along the lines of Weird War Tales. I'll even try reading any manga that are along the lines of WWT.

If I can self-promote for a second, it sounds like you might like Hector Plasm. There are two 48 page specials made up of short stories of various tones, but all about ghosts and the man who stands at the threshold of the worlds of the living and the dead.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

KomradeX posted:

Depending on your definition of horror, there are some issues of Global Frequency that could work. The best part is that since every issue is a stand alone episodic adventure, you can just pick up the horror ones.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Benito Cereno posted:

If I can self-promote for a second, it sounds like you might like Hector Plasm. There are two 48 page specials made up of short stories of various tones, but all about ghosts and the man who stands at the threshold of the worlds of the living and the dead.

These are pretty awesome, you should self promote more.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

KomradeX posted:

I have been re-reading Hellblazer from the begining and there is some creepy disturbing poo poo in there. Check TFAW as the Creepy and Eerie archives go on sale for 50% or more off. Steve Niles can be alright if not a bit derivitive sometimes. The first few 30 Days of Night were kinda cool.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

muscles like this? posted:

There are some good Hellraiser books that are just stand alones that tell stories of people interacting with the puzzle box.

In a more "Twin Peaks" vibe there's Warren Ellis' short lived Fell series. Its about a cop, Richard Fell, who makes some unspecified gently caress up that gets him transferred to the nightmarish Snowtown where everything is just off.

Fell was awesome. Wish it had gone on longer.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Man, somehow this thread has passed under my radar for how many months?

Anyways, regarding Fell, I'd call it more a cop procedural than horror story really, no scarier than Law and Order. From the way I understand it, Ellis had planned on it being a longer series, when a computer crash had erased the only copies of the (likely unfinished) scripts to the next handful of issues. On a more personal note, I was introduced to the series through an ex. She had a tattoo done to look like the Snowtown brand that Fell gets early in the series. It came out looking like red magic marker. She uh...didn't make good decisions when it came to tattoos. I didn't have the heart to tell her this.

But back on topic. I seem to be the only person around who remembers and collected Monsters Attack!

In 1989, Mort Todd then Editor-in-Chief for Cracked Magazine rallied many of his friends and co-workers (including greats like Steve Ditko and Alex Toth, as well as many Cracked regulars like Gray Morrow and John Severen) to make with him a book that was mostly an anthology horror title, but also scattered throughout the issues were features on other horror stuff, mostly movies. The first issue had a retrospective on the initial Romero Dead trilogy, and later issues would feature things like a major article on the Friday the 13th series, including a two page chart humorously detailing all the deaths in the series, and the fourth issue features a very in-depth interview with Sam Raimi on the set of Darkman. Also, they would at times talk about other horror subjects, like stuff going on at the time in Manga, which was pretty rare in 1989-90. It was where I first heard about both Akira and Panorama of Hell. IIRC, Todd named the magazine as a tribute to both Famous Monsters of Filmland and the Mars Attacks! trading cards. Unfortunately it clearly didn't do great, as they published a total of 5 issues over the course of 2 years. However, there were many stories included that stick with me even today. Sure there were plenty of standard things like adaptations of Poe and Lovecraft, and traditional monster stories, but there was also "New" style body horror and whatnot. One regular contributor to the series both wrote and drew his stories, and only went by the name "Madman". If anyone out there can help me identify him, I'd appreciate it. Here's a story he wrote in the first issue. I have a scan of another later story too if you'd like to see it.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

:golfclap:

The French Canadian Monster Man then went on to produce his own brand of syrup.
It soon became a household name.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Cracked's trademark terrible fonts and poor word balloons really take the oomph out of that story.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Cracked's trademark terrible fonts and poor word balloons really take the oomph out of that story.

Yeah, that's probably the biggest downfall to the whole magazine. Unless the artist does the lettering himself (like Ditko and Severen do) they end up going with the generic choice, which I think comes back to Todd. Incidentally, Ditko's stories tend to be surreal sci-fi stories, with robots and crazy body horror.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Volume posted:

Depending on your definition of horror, there are some issues of Global Frequency that could work. The best part is that since every issue is a stand alone episodic adventure, you can just pick up the horror ones.

Well I was looking for stuff along the lines of supernatural horror, but monsters are acceptable, something like the old EC comics, accept maybe not in the bound volumes they have since last number I was was over 12 of them and they were pretty pricey. I was also looking into some war comics, Sgt. Rock, the Weird War tales etc. I've got "Corpse on the Imjin", so I know this isn't really the place to ask but would any people have recommendations for something like that as well?

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
I'm bored so here's another Taboo #1 story called "A Late Night Snack" by Chester Brown. I remembered it while I was playing animal crossing, actually.

I did a tiny bit of research and I discovered that Chester Brown is also responsible for the "I'm not a penis! I'm the president of the United States!" panel which is probably in the top 10 comic panels of all time.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

What a coinkeydink, I was just about to post another story from Monsters Attack! by Madman. Any idea who this guy is?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

scarycave posted:

I wasn't too big on the anime either, I can't deny that it does have some visual appeal.
I think Gyo is what actually got me into Junji, I found the Ga-Shunk image and I traced it back to the source.
I read through it, and Amigra fault.

I didn't find Gyo to be scary, but I did find it kind of funny, which is why I kept reading it. From that comedian discussion a page or two ago, its clear that Junji gets some enjoyment of making the most mundane things terrifying, spirals, balloons, "comedians", love, age, sleep, that old lady neighbor who just wants someone to talk to, and just goes loving nuts. I think his best works though are the ones where nothings explained, like that one where people get sucked up into the sky, so the town builds a giant net to catch them when they start falling, turns out they were dead before they hit the net and there's no explanation for anything at all.

Junji Ito feels like he's gone "wouldn't it be creepy if ______" and then he does a short story about it and while a lot of the time the answer is "I guess sorta maybe" he runs with it and I love him dearly. I'd like to remind everyone that the main antagonist at the start of Gyo is a farting fish in a plastic bag and one of his scary stories literally ends with "and the cat shed everywhere and it made everyone itchy"! Sometimes he fully develops an idea and it works, but a lot of the time I agree with you in that his stuff where nothing is explained is better, just some weird stuff happening. His Cat Diary is also amazing and a must-read for that inimitable Junji Ito style about a man owning two cats, the way he draws himself has always been great and this brings it to new levels. He also draws his wife with completely blank eyes and he mentions in the notes at the end that she got mad at him for making her so monstrous.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

For anyone interested, there's a kickstarter for a 360 page black & white horror comic anthology called "The Sleep of Reason." I'm looking forward to seeing horror stories done by KC Green and Evan Dahm, who normally don't do scary stories so it will be interesting to see what they do.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Dr. Hurt posted:

For anyone interested, there's a kickstarter for a 360 page black & white horror comic anthology called "The Sleep of Reason." I'm looking forward to seeing horror stories done by KC Green and Evan Dahm, who normally don't do scary stories so it will be interesting to see what they do.

Thanks for the heads-up, I just ordered the digital edition :)

e. Oh gently caress, you can get a beetle named after you at the highest tier, that's awesome.

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jun 27, 2013

Posh Chinchilla
Feb 1, 2006
Bo-oi-oi-oi-oing!

Dr. Hurt posted:

The Kickstarter is over now, but the previews all look pretty great. KC Green is not unused to drawing creepy comics though. This is a good (old) one: http://gunshowcomic.com/334

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Another webcomic related horror kickstarter, Kris Straub is doing a kickstarter to collect the entire first storyline of his webcomic Broodhollow. If you're not familiar with it, you can check out the thread for it here. Straub himself pitches the comic as "Tintin goes to Innsmouth" although I think "Steamboat Willy in Silent Hill" really is just as good a summation. The strip itself does a very good job at balancing horror and humor, and I highly recommend checking it out. Straub is a huge fan of urban legends and creepy pastas (of which he wrote Candle Cove,a pretty famous CP) and you really can see the influence on the comic as a whole.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hey folks, help me find this one here: It's a rather weirdly drawn japanese comic about social and ecological destruction in the near future. One of the main characters is a vat grown chicken-man.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

Hey folks, help me find this one here: It's a rather weirdly drawn japanese comic about social and ecological destruction in the near future. One of the main characters is a vat grown chicken-man.

FOURTEEN.

quote:

At a chicken manufacturing company, a certain chicken transforms into a supermutant named Chicken George. And so, a nightmarish journey through a twisted version of the future unfolds.

It's more stupid than scary most of the time, but it sure is weird.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thats the one! Thanks! Yeah, varies between off-putting to hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
I found my trade of Hellraiser comics and I was flipping though it when I noticed that one of the stories was by Sholly Fisch. Not a name I expected to see, I guess.

I should probably scan some of these. The art is just fantastic.

• Locked thread