Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Whoa.
My appreaciation for horror has jumped tenfold because of this entire thread. Thanks to all of you for this interesting material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Much like Mr Gorilla above, I never read any horror comics until this thread. Reading though the Junji Ito stuff on OpenAwesome has been fun.

It's interesting that this stuff can get to you. I mean, it's just a bunch of silly drawings in the daytime, but read it for a few hours before bed and you might have some... peculiar thoughts. Hooray for having an overactive imagination. Like someone said earlier, it might look goofy at the time, but there there's usually an image or two from a story that will linger around in a vague cloud of unease...

One Ito story I haven't seen mentioned is Secret of the Haunted House. Fairly straight-forward little yarn, but if you're in the right frame of mind, reading it late at night... :stonklol:

I also made the terrible mistake of reading The Holes. gently caress that story. :barf: I honestly had problems falling asleep last night because that godawful thing kept bouncing around in my head. Makes it even worse knowing that somewhere, someone is super into that :awesome: :suicide:

Does anybody know what the deal is with Nakayama Masaaki? The stuff on there all seem to be like 3-4 page jump scares. Nice enough, but it seems a bit unsubstantial. Was this stuff sold as small collections or am I missing something?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

david_a posted:

One Ito story I haven't seen mentioned is Secret of the Haunted House. Fairly straight-forward little yarn, but if you're in the right frame of mind, reading it late at night... :stonklol:
I've never seen this one before, but it's actually a sort-of sequel to a series of short stories called Souichi's Diary of Delights. That's really clever, I've never seen him revisit his stuff like that before.

Edit: The woman at the end is also from an old Ito comic, but I forget what it was called.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Edit: The woman at the end is also from an old Ito comic, but I forget what it was called.

"Fashion Model", from "Souichi's Diary of Curses".

EDIT:

Anyway, I read "The Secret of the Haunted House" and I was thinking "Why the hell does that guy look so familiar" then finally when he shot the nails out of his mouth, I finally realized it was Souichi. I looked over it a second time and noticed the dolls' heads, which are the same as the "Mannequin Teacher" . Nice touch right there.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 16, 2014

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

david_a posted:

Does anybody know what the deal is with Nakayama Masaaki? The stuff on there all seem to be like 3-4 page jump scares. Nice enough, but it seems a bit unsubstantial. Was this stuff sold as small collections or am I missing something?

Yeah, it's all from a series of collected shorts called Seeds of Anxiety. It got a live action adaptation a year or so ago, though I haven't watched it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It is also better known as "Fuan No Tane".

VoodooXT posted:

"Fashion Model", from "Souichi's Diary of Curses".

Fashion Model is one of my favorites because there isn't even a token explanation.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Fashion Model is one of my favorites because there isn't even a token explanation.

That's actually one of my favorite things about Japanese horror: there is no explanation, they just are.

Deadly Device
Aug 17, 2014
I've spent the past few days of summer vacation reviewing my collection of Junji Ito comics, and I've come to the conclusion that while the majority of his work appears intended to creep the audience on a surface level, later introspection can reveal silly and absurd amusement. Some panels are so funny when viewed in isolation and out-of-context, that I have been in tears from laughter.

"Splatter Film" in particular is his funniest work, with the "HONEY TIME!" climax with its tiny final panel (SPLAT!), and the various ways that characters are depicted slurping their fingers. "Licking Woman" is similarly ridiculous, with the sad fate of Pyon-Chan, and the out-of-nowhere line "If you want potassium cyanide, I've got that."

I'm going to have to go through and re-read everything, doing a "Where's Waldo" hunt for funniest isolated panels.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Went on a bit of a Junji Ito binge last night and I have to recommend Mimi's Ghost Stories. It's one of his few works that manages to be both scary and really loving funny.

And here's the scary (spoilers):

http://i.imgur.com/TObKjnp.jpg

Also read Gyo and my god, that was loving weird. I'll give him props for alluding to Unit 731 and the hosed-up poo poo they did in there, though.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

One man's quest to hump every gravestone can only end in tears.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Speedball posted:

One man's quest to hump every gravestone can only end in tears.

You ain't swole until even the dead notice it. Just read that book tonight. Very...ahem...errrrrrr...Ito.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I love the Patented Junji Ito Wall Of Scary Faces. How many of his comics use it? I can think of this, Uzumaki, the best scene in Gyo... maybe in a Tomie somewhere?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Here's a bright & cheerful little Junji Ito short to read before bedtime!

http://openawesome.com/junji-ito-horror-manga/hellodollies.html

Hello Dollies aka A Doll's Hellish Burial.

Erm... Enjoy?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Umiapik posted:

Erm... Enjoy?

Not a lot of things get under my skin, but I'll admit this one did. :stare:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Umiapik posted:

Erm... Enjoy?

You missed the apostrophe, it's actually Hell'o Dollies. :getin:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Umiapik posted:

Erm... Enjoy?
This feels like maximum Ito; both :rolleyes: at the silly concept and :gonk: at that last panel.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I appreciate that the horror of that comic is "dead bodies continue to decompose."

Seriously guys, don't keep a dead girl sitting on your living room couch. Just don't do it. And also don't do drugs. Splatter Film taught me that.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

FactsAreUseless posted:

I appreciate that the horror of that comic is "dead bodies continue to decompose."

Seriously guys, don't keep a dead girl sitting on your living room couch. Just don't do it. And also don't do drugs. Splatter Film taught me that.

At no point does it say explicitly that the girl is dead.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Wachter posted:

At no point does it say explicitly that the girl is dead.
Good point.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that the wooden shell is a kind of eldritch cocoon for whatever unimaginable horror the DollGirls eventually become

The only thing that could make this even more Ito as gently caress is if they actually treated the girl like a doll, then decades later they find an empty doll-husk and open the cellar to find... :cthulhu::eek::gonk::barf:

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 19, 2014

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I actually love this Junji Ito story called "Dead Man Calling". On the surface, it's about two siblings being haunted by a dude who ruined their lives but it's really about survivor's guilt.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

VoodooXT posted:

I actually love this Junji Ito story called "Dead Man Calling". On the surface, it's about two siblings being haunted by a dude who ruined their lives but it's really about survivor's guilt.

That and also the death penalty as a way of giving closure to victims.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes
I've been looking for a good Junji Ito collection. Any good suggestions?

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

In English or in Japanese? Whispers in the Dark 1 and 2 are good but only in Japanese (though you can find fan translations). In fact, most of his short stories are only fan translated for some reason. I think the only stories that exist in English are Uzumaki, Gyo, and Tomie. Oh, and Flesh Colored Horror, though that's out of print.

If you don't mind fan scans, Whispers in the Dark are pretty good, and they include one of my favorites; Anything But a Ghost.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

As Hellburger said, most of his stuff hasn't been officially translated. Of the English stuff, there's Uzumaki and Gyo. There is also the Tomie collections, though I'm not sure if they're out of print now. There's three volumes, collectively called Museum of Terror. The first two volumes collect Tomie. I'm not sure just how much of the Tomie stories are collected, but it's a pretty good collection. The third one is called The Long Hair in the Attic and collects a bunch of unrelated shorts by him, ranging wildly in style and tone. It's got some good stuff. Other than that, I believe everything else is fan translated.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
On the writings of Ito, some of the stuff he made is just poo poo.

Weird as hell, but I admit to laughing like an 8-year-old at the poo poo-puns...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

KC Green is going to be doing horror comics all month over at Gunshow. Like so:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Considering it's KC Green I'm guessing the horror is supposed to be in the dude's no doubt intentional resemblance to Jon Arbuckle.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Well, the box does have black and orange stripes.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
"Horror Garfield" is always fun.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

This is loving great.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

This is loving great.

KC Green has always had some horror chops.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
I haven't been too big on Gunshow's horror comics so far, but this latest one struck a chord with me. I like it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Lance Streetman posted:

I haven't been too big on Gunshow's horror comics so far, but this latest one struck a chord with me. I like it.

Ooh, I like it too. The windows still being light when there was only darkness in the doorway was a nice touch on rereading.

Mr. Peabody
Dec 30, 2011

Go on funny man, make me laugh!

Lance Streetman posted:

The video linked in the Gunshow comic comment is pretty cool, too.

Mr. Peabody
Dec 30, 2011

Go on funny man, make me laugh!
e:double post

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This may be much more sci-fi than it is horror, but I think this old classic by The Original Writer deserves a spot in this thread.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
That was neat; reminded me of Pontypool. But, uh... what was that at the end? Suddenly a Kree or something pops out and it ends on a comedic note?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

That's Tharg. He's effectively a fourth wall breaking "editor" of 2000AD books. He's not actually a part of the story.

It's basically an editor note at the end of a story.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah, he's like the crypt keeper but not funny or interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
The 2014 edition of BOO! is up for pre-order on Comixology. This year all the stories are in one volume, 64 pages for $1.99. This year features stories and art by such people as Chris Sims and Erica Henderson (also: me) in a variety of styles and subjects, but all in homage to classic horror anthology comics and horror host TV shows.

If you missed last year's BOO!, which was a four-issue mini-series, you can pick them up for 99 cent each here.

• Locked thread