Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Oh yes, I am a huge fan of the classic Hellraiser comic. It was amzing so often. I'm not sure I could even name my favorite story, and I've read the whole business, even the less than stellar Harrowers spinoff. I really need to get around to finishing reading the more recent series too, which I strongly suspect was Clive Barker adapting his own unpublished sequel to the original novella. He for months talked about how he couldn't get his book "The Scarlet Gospels" published, despite being a proper sequel to "The Hellbound Heart", then once the comic got announced, he got all coy on the subject...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I never really liked the Harrowers stuff, it felt too much like when some other authors started to introduce "good" gods into the Lovecraft mythos.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Well on the one hand, they were the one thing added in the comics mythos by Barker himself (and in the second series, he broadened the title to mean anyone fighting Cenobytes,) not to mention the miniseries has them all be absolutely terrible at their job.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Wachter posted:

Most of Junji Ito's work is the epitome of the "uncaring universe" trope - terrible poo poo just happens without cause or solution, and often only the protagonists and the reader notice that anything is amiss. Although I love Gyo, I think it's one of his weaker stories, purely because of the lengthy explanations of the mechanics and history of the death robots. Whereas, say, The Town Without Streets makes an inexplicable but relatively tiny tweak to basic cultural norms - what we consider to be rational behaviour - and shows just how transient and fragile human society is, and how little it has to change to become horrifying and unrecognisable.

Although it's about as far from Junji Ito's methodology as you can get, I'd nonetheless like to recommend Nakayama Masaaki's Fuan no Tane (Seeds of Anxiety). It's the manga equivalent of creepypasta: a three-volume collection of extremely short, simplistic, and formulaic stories that typically consists of 2-3 pages of setup, followed by...

...A SCARY THING :stare:

Seriously, it's about as subtle and nuanced as loving Insidious or something, but it's still fun and pretty drat creepy in places.

Loved Fuan no Tane. Does anyone know if his other series, Fuan no Tane Plus got fully translated? Couple sites have the first volume but nothing about the others.

Fightest
Nov 4, 2009

Great Sage
Equal of Heaven
I have been recently reading Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol, and quite a lot of it definitely fits into the cosmic horror genre. I don't think I can do the series justice by describing it, but it's got the whole manic stream-of-consciousness that I feel Junji Ito's work has.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

After you finish Morrison's Doom Patrol, I strongly recommend you move on to The Invisibles, if you haven't already. It greatly expands on a lot of the themes Morrison was trying to convey in that run, and it's just plain good, albeit a bit of work to go through (which does NOT mean boring. It's truly heady stuff a lot of the time.)

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Are there any good specifically horror-centered Hellblazer stories? I just read through Original Sins and Dangerous Habits and I'm in desperate need of a Constantine fix.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

NienNunb posted:

Are there any good specifically horror-centered Hellblazer stories? I just read through Original Sins and Dangerous Habits and I'm in desperate need of a Constantine fix.
Hellblazer: Rare Cuts has a kind of creepy story that fell right in the middle of an otherwise forgettable arc about a military base that accidentally uses a mind control weapon on a small town and it turns them all into deranged lunatics. It's been a while since I read it but it's written by Grant Morrison and it's pretty good if you like gruesome stuff.

Or if you don't want the whole trade you could just get #25-26.

Mr Wind Up Bird fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 22, 2013

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

well, the series is pretty much for the most part horror-centric in general. That's kind of the point. Now what KIND of horror you want will change the answer considerably. I think the biggest benefit from so many different writers being thrown onto the book is that you end up with so many different flavors of stories. Do you like your horror creepy, or crawly, or both? Do you like your stories talky, or actiony? Do you like long elaborate storylines, or self contained shorts? Do you like supernatural monsters, or the all-too-human variety? Hellblazer has you covered at every stop. Every now and then it strays from the horror umbrella, but those times are the exception, not the rule.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

FOURTEEN.

Goddamn this comic. This may be the weirdest thing I have ever read, and I love reading weird things.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Hellblazer: Rare Cuts has a kind of creepy story that fell right in the middle of an otherwise forgettable arc about a military base that accidentally uses a mind control weapon on a small town and it turns them all into deranged lunatics. It's been a while since I read it but it's written by Grant Morrison and it's pretty good if you like gruesome stuff.

Or if you don't want the whole trade you could just get #25-26.

This story is also contained in the new printings of Jamie Delano's run (this volume, specifically), along with "Hold Me," one of the best things Neil Gaiman's ever done.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Not gonna let this thread vanish into the archives in October. It's not right.

So here's some Charles Burns art from Taboo #4

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?
Found what I was looking for, it was a story from Fuan No Tane Plus

http://spiraphobia.tumblr.com/post/21249172826/fuan-no-tane-plus-32-school-photo

BooDoug187 fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Oct 16, 2013

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

There is a sale at Comixology on some Boom! horror comics. Anyone familiar with any of these? I rather enjoyed Michael Nelson's Fall of Cthulhu, so I'll probably pick up The Calling, but was curious if anyone else had some recommendations, positive or negative.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Here's a horror story by Matt Howarth called "The Guilty Party" that I scanned out of the second Fly in my Eye book. It's pretty long so I just put it in an imgur gallery. It's also NWS so...watch out for that.

http://imgur.com/a/oMuCF

Do you guys like these things I'm scanning? I'm not getting a lot of feedback :goleft:

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

I always dig the stuff you post, Wind Up Bird. I just wish I had more to contribute to this thread.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
Surprisingly little Vertigo-era horror in here.

I grew up in the 80s and I had the same nightmares about nuclear war that Grant Morrison did, which is why I have a sensitive spot for a Hellblazer story reprinted in Rare Cuts in 2005: a two-part story that mashes up nuclear anxieties, mind control experiments, and the phobias of a small town losing its identity.

It's illustrated by That David Lloyd, and the tension is palpable from the very first panel, drenching the page in thick ink and washed out colors and silent panels, whilst establishing the town's nearby early nuclear warning system on the first page, letting the specter of the bomb hang over the story.

(Thank God times have changed)

It's a perfectly executed two-step. Mostly setup all in the first issue, mostly payoff in the second. It's one of the lesser-known Hellblazer stories and it's always been one of my favorites.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Who did the lettering? I remember that story, and while it was good, scary, and tense as all get out, the lettering bugged me then, and bugs me now. Slender lettering just becomes godawful because it can easily get near-illegible, especially due to printing smudges.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
According to Comics.org, letters for both issues are credited to Tom Frame.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Here's a horror story by Matt Howarth called "The Guilty Party" that I scanned out of the second Fly in my Eye book. It's pretty long so I just put it in an imgur gallery. It's also NWS so...watch out for that.

Do you guys like these things I'm scanning? I'm not getting a lot of feedback :goleft:

:stonk: Holy poo poo that was good. More, please.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

That artwork loving rules.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

That artwork loving rules.
Apparently Matt Howarth has a comic about time travel that you have to fold into a moebius strip. Definitely something I'd love to get my hands on.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Here's a horror story by Matt Howarth called "The Guilty Party" that I scanned out of the second Fly in my Eye book. It's pretty long so I just put it in an imgur gallery. It's also NWS so...watch out for that...

Woah, hey, thanks! Just read through. Yeeeeikes.

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013
Surprised this hasn't been posted yet considering the first post was so heavily focused on Black Hole. I can't remember where I read it but David Fincher is attached to directing the film version of Black Hole. I did a quick google search and show a couple articles on it. I didn't know they tried to make it back in 08'. I guess it's back on. Hopefully successful this time. Brad Pitt is producing.

Edit - nothing on his IMDB page though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Kieron Gillen just tweeted that he received a new hardcover collection of Uzumaki published by Viz. Anyone know more about this? Are they going to reprint and collect more Ito books?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Well that sure went from spooky to :gonk: quickly :stare:

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Hey guys I just got approval to post something neat!

The Eyes of the Cat

Written by Alejandro Jodorowsky
Art by Moebius

This is a neat comic because for about 20 years this was it's only printing in english and basically the only way anyone outside of France could read it at all.

It's 50 pages long and I scanned it out of Taboo #4. Sorry the gutters are a little messed up. It was either that or completely demolish the spine of a kinda rare comic book!

You can grab it off my dropbox here. Also, please be cool about this because I don't know what kind of bandwith dropbox gives me. Hopefully an 8 mb rar file won't destroy me. If someone wants to mirror it, great. And remember that in order to view it you either need a CBR viewer or just unzip it with winrar.

If you enjoyed this and would like to see the art in really nice-o-vision with a slightly different translation you can buy the 35 dollar hardcover version from here.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Holy crap this is fantastic.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

The Eyes of the Cat

Art by Moebius

This is a neat comic because for about 20 years this was it's only printing in english and basically the only way anyone outside of France could read it at all.

It's 50 pages long and I scanned it out of Taboo #4. Sorry the gutters are a little messed up. It was either that or completely demolish the spine of a kinda rare comic book!

You can grab it off my dropbox here. Also, please be cool about this because I don't know what kind of bandwith dropbox gives me. Hopefully an 8 mb rar file won't destroy me. If someone wants to mirror it, great. And remember that in order to view it you either need a CBR viewer or just unzip it with winrar.

If you enjoyed this and would like to see the art in really nice-o-vision with a slightly different translation you can buy the 35 dollar hardcover version from here.

Really cool! Thank you!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

The Eyes of the Cat

Art by Moebius

drat dude, you're doin' god's work.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Very cool. Thanks.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
I've been wanting to read that for ages, thank you so much!

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Here's another story out of Taboo #1 that's kind of a throwback to the old pre-code EC horror comics. I need to get my hands on some of those collections.

http://imgur.com/a/EEp46

(No relation to the excellent French horror movie)

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Here's another story out of Taboo #1 that's kind of a throwback to the old pre-code EC horror comics. I need to get my hands on some of those collections.

http://imgur.com/a/EEp46

(No relation to the excellent French horror movie)

That last panel is brilliant. Was Cam Kennedy a frequent contributor to Taboo?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Great work on all those scans Mr wind up bird!

I've been reading this comic called Rachel Rising by Terry Moore and it's great stuff, I don't read many comics but I like things like that and From Hell, Black Hole, etc.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Image horror sale

Severed is pretty good. Anything else worth picking up here?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hakkesshu posted:

Image horror sale

Stay the hell away from Hack/Slash.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

Image horror sale

I feel like one of the folks who wrote or drew Hector Plasm showed up in Something Awful a few times? Those are also each ~50 pages for a buck.

I like Warren Ellis when he's good, and same for Ben Templesmith, and Fell got a bunch of recognition when it came out--should I get Fell Volume 1? Just worried because it's an "ongoing" that seems to be trailing off.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

Image horror sale

I'll take your Severed recommendation and raise with David Hine and Shaky Kane's The Bulletproof Coffin. They have both collections on sale and I can not recommend them highly enough. I feel pretty confidant in saying that anyone that is reading this thread who has not yet read those collections is in for a real treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

The way I understand it, Ellis suffered a computer crash while writing Fell, and never got around to rewriting the lost stories, but claimed he would. It's pretty good, but not that much horror. It's more very dark police proceedural, with a different case each issue. I was introduced to the series by a girl I was dating at the time who loved the book enough to get a tattoo matching the brand the hero gets early in the series. :rolleyes:

• Locked thread