Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

All this silent movie talk made me go see, out of curiosity, what the word count for the script is. 3,900 or thereabouts - that's like, nothing. So great.

Also I started reading through the transcript and there's all these little things I interpreted wrong. I thought it was "karma crazy" but they're actually mangling "kamikaze."

edit - also, when Nux fangs it in the initial convoy scene and we see Max screaming right in the camera, the internet seems to think it's "Confucamus!" which is some kind of Latin phrase? To my ear it's something like "Cunts, gently caress them all!" which makes a bit more sense for a blokey Aussie speedway cop.

freebooter fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Oct 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Also now that I mentioned the phrase "speedway cop" can somebody good at Photoshop please combine these two images for the mutual enjoyment of all:

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

freebooter posted:

edit - also, when Nux fangs it in the initial convoy scene and we see Max screaming right in the camera, the internet seems to think it's "Confucamus!" which is some kind of Latin phrase? To my ear it's something like "Cunts, gently caress them all!" which makes a bit more sense for a blokey Aussie speedway cop.

It's Confuckamus because at that point Max is so Mad he is making up new curse words.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Deakul posted:

It's true. :negative:
Also...
https://www.reddit.com/r/MadMax/comments/58b8g1/upcoming_black_chrome_wont_be_dialogueless/

Motherfucking gently caress gently caress poo poo

Yeah this is fuckin reason I still don't own this own Blu-ray.

No way am I going to buy this movie more than once. Not a business model I want to support

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I wish the fan edit dialog-less black and chrome was slightly better quality audio, but the fact the fan edit was available quickly and as well done as it was is just another facepalm of Hollywood missteps.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
This film looks glorious with all its vibrant oranges and yellows and I am incredulous that Miller actually thinks a black and white version is the superior cut.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He might be talking about the cut more so than the actual color pallet. The cut where there's no dialog.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

CelticPredator posted:

He might be talking about the cut more so than the actual color pallet. The cut where there's no dialog.
It should have no dialogue other than Rictus.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
The one thing about a Black and White cut is that I will miss that sweet day for night scene.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

PassTheRemote posted:

The one thing about a Black and White cut is that I will miss that sweet day for night scene.

The night scenes still look better than most movies night scenes in my opinion. Testament to the overstop effect they chose.

Helsing posted:

This film looks glorious with all its vibrant oranges and yellows and I am incredulous that Miller actually thinks a black and white version is the superior cut.

I think its a personal taste thing. I love the original more but I love the aesthetics of black and chrome (and silent) a lot.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The black and white is an interesting version of the film but a silent version seems utterly pointless. I say that as a silent movie fan, even.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

It's good

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mantis42 posted:

The black and white is an interesting version of the film but a silent version seems utterly pointless. I say that as a silent movie fan, even.

I don't see why. Most of the film is visual anyway.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

CelticPredator posted:

Id agree with you, outside of the sound design being real good

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

CelticPredator posted:

I think that makes it more useless. Like, it's hard to argue that it say, provides a different experience forcing you to engage with the visual storytelling, because people already were (well, the people who would watch the silent version).

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Just for clarification, the "Silent" version is just dialog free. The sound effects and music are maintained, and just underscores how little is actually spoken aloud in the film.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

M_Gargantua posted:

Just for clarification, the "Silent" version is just dialog free. The sound effects and music are maintained, and just underscores how little is actually spoken aloud in the film.

I thought the silent version only had the music.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
I haven't been paying as much attention as maybe I should, but - is the official "Black and Chrome" version silent, or just the fan edit? I think the black and white could be really cool but I'd like it with audio still in, and just wondering what I should be looking for.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Just a color difference right now, they're releasing a dialog-free version next year. :sigh:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Do any DVDs of this film have commentary? I want to get it, but I also would want something from the crew about how all the shots were made as it's playing.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
No commentary yet. They're really stringing this out.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Deakul posted:

Just a color difference right now, they're releasing a dialog-free version next year. :sigh:

Has this actually been confirmed anywhere?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

WHAT THE gently caress YALL DIDNT TELL ME BLACK AND CHROME WAS ACTUALLY IN THEATERS

:kingsley::kingsley::kingsley::kingsley::kingsley::kingsley::kingsley::kingsley::kingsley::kingsley::kingsley::kingsley::kingsley::kingsley::kingsley::kingsley::kingsley::kingsley::kingsley::kingsley:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Vince MechMahon posted:

Has this actually been confirmed anywhere?

Straight from the Gigahorse's mouth.
https://www.reddit.com/r/MadMax/comments/58b8g1/upcoming_black_chrome_wont_be_dialogueless/

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

well why not posted:

If you have a copy that'll play in VLC:

In VLC open Effects and Filters (Ctrl+E), on the Video effects tab, Basic section: slide down the saturation.

It's really fun to try various films this way.

Not really

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqnD_Qfx1vQ

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

twenty bucks tho

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Gonna see Black and Shiny&Chrome at the theater on Sunday, wish me luck.

edit; VVVVVVVVV :( sorry guy. yeah, Fandango has listings. It's limited release.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 4, 2016

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Where are you guys seeing info on this? If I search for it I just get a bunch of 2015 articles with question marks in the titles.

Edit: apparently searching for "black and chrome" instead of "black and white" is the trick. Doesn't look like there's any showings near me anyway.

david_a fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 4, 2016

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

iTunes added Black & Chrome as an extra if you already owned the movie like a week ago. Still haven't had a chance to see it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I would have to drive to New York City to see it, and I might?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Eh, still looks like a bit of fiddling with the brightness, contrast and gamma will at least get you most of the way there.

Don't have a copy of Fury Road handy to test it out, but on a sidenote, the intro to Ghostbusters is pretty good in b/w.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
So what is the point of a black and white version of this movie? Did it have really bad colors or what?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

UmOk posted:

So what is the point of a black and white version of this movie? Did it have really bad colors or what?

There's no point other than the director likes it, the chrome fits thematically, and Miller basically used it as a way to get a limited rerelease.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I think a dialog-less version would be cool. But visually I don't see any reason to change. It was perfect the way it was.

I also would love to have dialog-less versions of the first six Star Wars movies.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

UmOk posted:

I think a dialog-less version would be cool. But visually I don't see any reason to change. It was perfect the way it was.

Maybe I'd feel differently if I saw the B+W version in a theater, but I think I prefer the color version. I forget if it was Miller or someone else who phrased it this way, but a post-apocalyptic landscape that's actually still very colorful and vibrant feels more lived-in than some dour, colorless world. I mean, humans wouldn't stop appreciating colors all of a sudden.

Also, say what you will about the color decisions in the theatrical, but it's a really unique-looking movie.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Xealot posted:

Maybe I'd feel differently if I saw the B+W version in a theater, but I think I prefer the color version. I forget if it was Miller or someone else who phrased it this way, but a post-apocalyptic landscape that's actually still very colorful and vibrant feels more lived-in than some dour, colorless world. I mean, humans wouldn't stop appreciating colors all of a sudden.

Also, say what you will about the color decisions in the theatrical, but it's a really unique-looking movie.

That was either Miller or the art director. He said everything in the film should be beautiful because people in this wasteland would try to make everything pretty.

The black and white version looks neat, there's not much more to it. It makes some of the color choices more noticeable. There's only really two colors in the original film anyway, and it's kinda neat to see that stark contrast amplified by the desaturation.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Slugworth posted:

It should have no dialogue other than Rictus.

Should have dialogue cards like an actual silent era movie.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

VideoTapir posted:

Should have dialogue cards like an actual silent era movie.

You don't need many.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

M_Gargantua posted:

You don't need many.

How about something more jokey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
~*Vrooming Intensifies*~

• Locked thread