Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Is this some kind of weird, new rickrolling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

Based on the wide shots, it's the most awkward prom ever animated. Obviously.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I keep seeing it mentioned, but what's the issue with Delgo? I've never heard of it.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
Indie Rocktopus, the only complaint I have about your Foodfight retrospective is that it was all over too quickly. I know it must have been an eternity for you, but what a fun ride it was on this end of things.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Even if you leave Eurasia entirely, South American countries like Argentina have been putting out stuff like The Ark/El Arca that easily out-performs Sit Billie.

I was thinking of covering El Arca for this thread, but Foodfight is a hell of a hard act to follow, and El Arca is nowhere near as baffling even as Bee Movie. It's closer to the level of Shark Tale, if anything. (Also, it's mostly 2D animation.)

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

It's one thing to treat Foodfight! as a novelty on YouTube or Livestream, it's another to treat it as a real film.

For movie night, my crew double-featured it with Casablanca using my huge HD projector display. I had seen it once before already on my computer, but watching it on the big-screen, on movie night, with my full attention and all my friends was such a disgusting experience that I felt mentally hungover into the next day.

Foodfight! isn't a movie, it's a lie masquerading as one.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
It's too bad Mars Needs Moms is no longer on Netflix, because I was gonna take that one next.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
When I'm less horrifically busy, I'll probably try a journey to Delgo.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Sir Billi is probably bad enough to be the next movie examined.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I feel obligated to do Delgo because I think I defended it based on the trailer, saying maybe it wouldn't be that bad :saddowns:.

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

A part of me wants to do the 2013 Tarzan movie, but I'm not sure I could do it justice. If anyone else wants to try and tackle it, be my guest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haSB5DQvrpo

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The saddest thing about Delgo is that the makers apparently wanted to make an artwork, not a product, like an american Miyazaki movie. It's basically the opposite of Foodfight. It was concieved when Toy Story, Antz, and a Bug's Life, all major studio releases, were the only CG animated movies ever released in the USA.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Pick posted:

I feel obligated to do Delgo because I think I defended it based on the trailer, saying maybe it wouldn't be that bad :saddowns:.

Yeah, good luck with that.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Corek posted:

The saddest thing about Delgo is that the makers apparently wanted to make an artwork, not a product, like an american Miyazaki movie. It's basically the opposite of Foodfight. It was concieved when Toy Story, Antz, and a Bug's Life, all major studio releases, were the only CG animated movies ever released in the USA.

Based on its backstory, it's the kind of thing you'd want to be good and want to see succeed. It's horrific.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Pick you should do Dragon Age 2

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Level Slide posted:

Pick you should do Dragon Age 2

It would be difficult to accurately and thoroughly laud the best video game in history.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Pick posted:

It would be difficult to accurately and thoroughly laud the best video game in history.

Yeah, and doing it for Dragon Age 2 would be infinitely more difficult!

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Pick posted:

You're right, there's always second best: Metroid Other M!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7A_DNZVGas

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Doogal looked like it could've looked pretty nice if the animation had just been a smidge better. It's not like foodfight or Pixar ripoff movies where the animation is just not salvageable at all. You can see SOMETHING of potential in there.

Wasn't a weird thing with Doogal that they redubbed all the lines for America even though the movie was already in english? Or something like that?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Doogal looked like it could've looked pretty nice if the animation had just been a smidge better. It's not like foodfight or Pixar ripoff movies where the animation is just not salvageable at all. You can see SOMETHING of potential in there.

Wasn't a weird thing with Doogal that they redubbed all the lines for America even though the movie was already in english? Or something like that?

Yeah. I think they replaced Tom Baker with Jon Stewart or something. Which is a pretty dramatic miscast.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Macaluso posted:

Yes. With a few exceptions they completely redubbed with the movie with American actors, including having Kevin Smith voice a character that was mute in the original dub of the film.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Macaluso posted:

The redub makes a mediocre movie into a worse one. The trailer I posted is for the American dub and it's pretty drat bad even in the clips meant to make you want to see it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

DoctorWhat posted:

Yeah, and doing it for Dragon Age 2 would be infinitely more difficult!

You're just goading me now. :colbert:

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Macaluso posted:

According to Wikipedia, it was not only a redub, it was also rewritten and recut with whole scenes moved around or deleted completely. Kylie Minogue was in both the original and the recut, but had to redo all her lines with an American accent. The British version has a 60% score on Ritten Tomatoes, the Amercan recut 8%.
This line from the wiki article explains a lot:

"Fairly Oddparents writer Butch Hartman also rewrote the storyline to accommodate multiple pop culture references (mostly from the The Lord of the Rings) and flatulence jokes (neither of which were present in the original release)."

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Pick posted:

You're just goading me now. :colbert:

Well, obviously.

But seriously, do it for Super Metroid and you'd actually be discussing The Best Game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

kjetting posted:

According to Wikipedia, it was not only a redub, it was also rewritten and recut with whole scenes moved around or deleted completely. Kylie Minogue was in both the original and the recut, but had to redo all her lines with an American accent. The British version has a 60% score on Ritten Tomatoes, the Amercan recut 8%.

"Fairly Oddparents writer Butch Hartman also rewrote the storyline to accommodate multiple pop culture references (mostly from the The Lord of the Rings) and flatulence jokes (neither of which were present in the original release)."

THREE GEMS TO RULE THEM ALL, ONE DOG TO FIND THEM

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

corn in the bible posted:

THREE GEMS TO RULE THEM ALL, ONE DOG TO FIND THEM

*Farts*

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
There are a lot of abysmal CG movies I've watched that I don't remember a thing about:
Doogal
Valiant
The Tale of Desperaux
Robots
Dinosaur
Final Fantasy: TSW
Everyone's Hero
Chicken Little
Happily N'Ever After
Igor

I seem to recall the last one being shockingly ugly, but that's about it. Hell, I didn't even remember a thing about Shark Tale 'til Pick dragged me over it like a bed of coals.
And I'd love for someone to review Delgo. I was very interested in the reasons behind its box office failure, but the most I've been able to find on it is, "Eh. Pretty dull and wordy."

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

kjetting posted:

Why? That just makes no sense

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

I haven't seen "8 Crazy Nights," since 2002 when I worked at a movie theater. I'm kinda tempted to revisit it for this thread, because I remember it being incredibly G-d awful

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Is this thread's title a reference to QuaDead Zone?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I don't remember Robots being bad bad, but it's definitely peak Dreamworks.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Evil Mastermind posted:

I don't remember Robots being bad bad, but it's definitely peak Dreamworks.

Uh.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, it's probably tied with Bee Movie, but not so much with the "trying to make a terrible protagonist likeable" as much as "we have a cliche checklist to work through."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well, it's probably tied with Bee Movie, but not so much with the "trying to make a terrible protagonist likeable" as much as "we have a cliche checklist to work through."

It's not a Dreamworks film is what I meant.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Robots has a main character with no characteristics besides "farts a lot" and is basically irredeemable.

Her name is Aunt Fanny because she has a big rear end, which expels lots of farts. At one point they ride inside her rear end, which has seating for a family of four, but the joke is that it smells of farts inside her rear end car, which makes everyone upset at her constant farting. Also she runs a hotel, which is an unusual job for someone who cannot stop farting!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Pick posted:

It's not a Dreamworks film is what I meant.

It's not? I could have sworn it was...

Looking at Blue Skies Studios, their whole output could go in this thread.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I don't remember Valiant being so bad, but I'm probably wrong. I can't even remember which war it's in, but I'm leaning toward WWI because I think it had trenches and I don't remember any villainous nazi carrier pidgeons, which is something I think I'd remember. Does it have Elijah Wood in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

hemale in pain posted:

Why? That just makes no sense

Because that's how much faith some Hollywood producers have in the American public. Surely you wouldn't understand speech with British accents and can't recognize humor without movie references and farts.

• Locked thread