Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Red Bones posted:

I don't remember Valiant being so bad, but I'm probably wrong. I can't even remember which war it's in, but I'm leaning toward WWI because I think it had trenches and I don't remember any villainous nazi carrier pidgeons, which is something I think I'd remember. Does it have Elijah Wood in it?

I have no idea. I sat there and watched the whole thing by myself, at home, no distractions and I couldn't follow a drat thing because I just couldn't summon the energy to care. I abide by the rule that the greatest cinematic sin is to be dull and holy loving balls, that was one of the dullest things I've ever seen. Like trying to remember what you had for breakfast a month ago: Why would you commit brain power to remember something like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Das Boo posted:

And I'd love for someone to review Delgo. I was very interested in the reasons behind its box office failure, but the most I've been able to find on it is, "Eh. Pretty dull and wordy."

The movie's box office failure really didn't have anything to do with the quality of the film per se. It's mostly that the people behind the movie used a distributor-for-hire to dump it in over 2,000 theaters with no advertising in the middle of a crowded winter, and the public responded with a resounding :geno:.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

This thing just popped up on Netflix

"No whip, no gun.... All fun!"

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

hemale in pain posted:

This thing just popped up on Netflix

"No whip, no gun.... All fun!"

That's the least consistent-looking thing I've seen in a long time.

Like a bunch of different, mediocre artists were given a rough description and then split up and designed each character in secret.

Even the helicopter looks completely out of place.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
I feel like Rover Dangerfield is the original Bee Movie? A bizarrely crappy meandering animated kids' film that was obviously, obviously pitched as "haha, i'm [CELEBRITY] and what if i were an [ANIMAL], wouldn't that be funny? wait, no seriously, it could be an animated kids' film or something!".

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

LaughMyselfTo posted:

I feel like Rover Dangerfield is the original Bee Movie? A bizarrely crappy meandering animated kids' film that was obviously, obviously pitched as "haha, i'm [CELEBRITY] and what if i were an [ANIMAL], wouldn't that be funny? wait, no seriously, it could be an animated kids' film or something!".

enjoy rodney dangerfield's song about pissing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RLbz9ccBUI

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Oh poo poo, I get that weird "I remember that!" feeling from Rover Dangerfield. I must of watched it a few times when I was a kid.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I guess I'm going to be the one who says Robots isn't that bad. I'd give it a C or C- (my biggest sticking point is putting the god drat Britney Spears song in it). But I liked the look of that world and the robots themselves. I thought the plot and main character we alright. I had a good moral too for kids, to be creative.

I forgot about the Aunt Fanny character until she was brought up here though.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
You can't mention Robots without mentioning the takedown of what an incredible quote whore Earl Dittman was when it came to promoting Robots.

quote:

"Hysterical, ingenious and whimsical 'Robots' is an even more spectacular, computer-animated film than 'The Incredibles' ... In fact, the term 'brilliant' fails to accurately describe how wondrously witty and innovative 'Robot' [sic] really is ... a hilariously clever and breathlessly innovative work of computer-animated entertainment, 'Robots' is a visually stunning and wildly hilarious comedy for intelligent, humor-starved movie-goers ready to laugh themselves silly."-- Earl Dittman, Wireless Magazines

"Magical, clever and innovative, 'Robots' is a hysterical comedy inhabited by a hilarious universe filled with the funniest and most witty group of mechanical 'bots you'll ever encounter ... If you thought the superheroes of 'The Incredibles' and the ocean-dwellers of 'Finding Nemo' were humorous, you haven't heard nothing yet. The side-splitting humor of the mechanical beings in 'Robots' is worthy of a capital 'H' ... Forget 'The Incredibles,' 'Robots' is one heck of a funny animated comedy ... 'Robots' is a hilariously awesome and breathlessly inventive work of entertaining animated brilliance"-- Earl Dittman, Wireless Magazines

"The ultra-hilarious 'Robots' is so innovative and wily, it propels the animated action film to a whole new dimension ... it's a computer animated comedy like no other you've ever seen ... 'Robots' is an exciting and explosive technical marvel ... 'Robots' is a spectacular, eye-popping piece of master filmmaking... You can't afford to miss a single frame of this amazing, unforgettable animated classic."-- Earl Dittman, Wireless Magazines

"A sharp, clever and entertaining animated adventure, 'Robots' is easily one of the most hilarious and smartest comedies since 'The Incredibles' ... Exciting, witty, outlandish and unconditionally hilarious, 'Robots' is a gut-busting and side-splitting animated hi-tech comedy that will keep you laughing from beginning to end ... You've never laughed this much at a movie before ... It's absolutely one of the most hysterical and heart-warming comedies ever conceived."-- Earl Dittman, Wireless Magazines

"A spectacular, breathtaking and momentous hi-tech computer-generated adventure full of unstoppable thrills and chills, 'Robots' is an animated adrenaline rush that'll keep you laughing, clapping, and cheering with excitement throughout the entire movie ... You don't want to miss a single frame of this energizing and laugh-filled animated adventure of truly epic proportions."-- Earl Dittman, Wireless Magazines

"It's time to move over Incredibles, because the action-packed and hysterical 'Robots' proves there's a group of mechanical beings that's even more outrageous, clever, lovable and hilarious than a family of superheroes ... An exciting and explosive piece of cinematic technological marvel, 'Robots' is absolute perfection. You'll never laugh so much and so hard at a big screen comedy ever again!"-- Earl Dittman, Wireless Magazines

"Ewan McGregor is remarkable ... He's cool, lovable and downright hilarious in 'Robots' ... McGregor delivers a splendidly spirited and seemingly effortless performance ... Based on his vocal performance, it's time to crown Ewan McGregor Hollywood's newest king of comedy ... In 'Robots', McGregor exposes his remarkably keen ability to make every single joke hilarious and unforgettable ... He's a natural born comedian."-- Earl Dittman, Wireless Magazines

"A sure-fire Oscar winner ... 'Robots' is an exciting and explosive big screen spectacle ... The Academy Awards were created expecially for original and thrilling animated motion pictures such as 'Robots'... Filmmaking at its best, next year it deserves every Oscar it qualifies for ... Place your bets early, because 'Robots' will be an indisputable winner on Oscar night 2006 ... in other words, it's going to clean up!" -- Earl Dittman, Wireless Magazines

"Robin Williams absolutely steals the show with his hilarious, over-the-top, slapstick performance in 'Robots' ... Possessing superb comedic timing and impeccable chemistry with his animated co-stars, 'Robots' finally bears out the fact we've all known for years -- that Robin is most hysterical human being and mechanical being in the universe [sic]... Wildly hilarious, Williams is magnificent ... His performance in 'Robin' [sic] is priceless."-- Earl Dittman, Wireless Magazines

"Wow! 'Robots' is absolutely magnificent ... Although there's still nine months to go in 2005, 'Robots' is such a spectacular animated film that it already deserves the Number One spot on every critic's year-end Top Ten list ... if 'Robots' is any indication of the caliber of animated motion pictures we can expect from Hollywood from this day forward, audiences are in for the best movie-going years of their lives ... Count 'Robots' as one of the funniest and brilliantly conceived computer-generated animated films of the new millennium."-- Earl Dittman, Wireless Magazines

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Ahahahah.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

You forgot the best part, that the quote that actually ended up in the trailers isn't from any of these - the marketers made it up and Dittman approved it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Wowee! :buddy:

Kangra
May 7, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Yes. With a few exceptions they completely redubbed with the movie with American actors, including having Kevin Smith voice a character that was mute in the original dub of the film.

I wish someone had just decided to blow some money to make a Silent Bob joke.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

kjetting posted:

Because that's how much faith some Hollywood producers have in the American public. Surely you wouldn't understand speech with British accents and can't recognize humor without movie references and farts.

The US distributors considered redubbing A Hard Day's Night because they didn't think Americans would understand the accents. :downs:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The only British movie I was absolutely unable to understand the accent in was Tyrannosaur. I actually had to turn on subtitles.
And I was raised around Brits. :(

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Egbert Souse posted:

The US distributors considered redubbing A Hard Day's Night because they didn't think Americans would understand the accents. :downs:

There is a dub of a cartoon from the 70s/80s called something like Technopolice with an Australian (?) accent in it that I almost didn't understand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIeVMgbXZWA

First instance of his mumbly Aussie voice at about 1m15s.

I can't even get through all of this, but it's like Space Thunder Kids level of audio/video quality.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 11, 2014

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Quick, what was the traditionally animated film that was The Aristocats, but with dogs? It had had quite possibly the ugliest looking villains and was all around pretty grim (I recall a scene set a dogfighting ring). I saw it once or twice when Cartoon Network aired a bunch of other low tier animated films (Rover Dangerfield, We're Back, etc.)?

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Quick, what was the traditionally animated film that was The Aristocats, but with dogs? It had had quite possibly the ugliest looking villains and was all around pretty grim (I recall a scene set a dogfighting ring). I saw it once or twice when Cartoon Network aired a bunch of other low tier animated films (Rover Dangerfield, We're Back, etc.)?

101 Dalmatians?

All Dogs Go To Heaven?

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

LaughMyselfTo posted:

101 Dalmatians?

All Dogs Go To Heaven?
Well I said it was like Aristocats, in that an old lady leaves her fortune to her pets and then her servants scheme it away.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Well I said it was like Aristocats, in that an old lady leaves her fortune to her pets and then her servants scheme it away.

Lady And The Tramp?

Balto?

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0138613/?ref_=ttmd_md_nm
Okay found it. Huh German, I guess that explains the dreariness of it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Other than the fanbase and being grimdark but cats, is there really anything that wrong with Felidae?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Felidae is great.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

kjetting posted:

Because that's how much faith some Hollywood producers have in the American public. Surely you wouldn't understand speech with British accents and can't recognize humor without movie references and farts.

Genuinely curious as to how Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-rabbit did stateside.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

khwarezm posted:

Genuinely curious as to how Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-rabbit did stateside.

$56m or so according to Wikipedia, over $200m worldwide. And despite a budget of only $30m Dreamworks decided it wasn't profitable enough

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Wallace and Gromit rules.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Pierson posted:

Wallace and Gromit rules.
Actually one of my favourite movies, my brother and I would watch it everyday as kids when the DVD came out. (Yes I am a babby)

Also if someone wants to do Felidae maybe this could be a general "interesting" animated movies thread, in that how some movies are poo poo but have fascinating behind the scenes fuckery going on, just fascinatingly bad, or actually good and enjoyable.

It's always fun to read about poo poo movies, though.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Dr. Killjoy posted:

I read that as "The Aristocrats" and envisioned an entirely different type of cartoon.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
$200M on a $30M budget and that wasn't enough for Dreamworks? That's why we didn't get more Wallace and Gromit movies, just that short awhile back? Man, gently caress Dreamworks forever.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

$200M on a $30M budget and that wasn't enough for Dreamworks? That's why we didn't get more Wallace and Gromit movies, just that short awhile back? Man, gently caress Dreamworks forever.

That, and Peter Sallis is 93 now and has a visual impairment, so it's difficult for him to play Wallace now, and really there's no point doing it without him. That's why Wallace has a different voice actor in the Telltale Games series, since a script of that size is a lot to ask of a man pushing 90.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Dr Snofeld posted:

That, and Peter Sallis is 93 now and has a visual impairment, so it's difficult for him to play Wallace now, and really there's no point doing it without him. That's why Wallace has a different voice actor in the Telltale Games series, since a script of that size is a lot to ask of a man pushing 90.

I didn't play the Telltale games- was the actor in that good enough to replace Sallis?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pope Guilty posted:

gently caress them for not funding endless sequels?

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Pope Guilty posted:

I didn't play the Telltale games- was the actor in that good enough to replace Sallis?

Yes actually, obviously you can kinda tell it's someone else, but for a video game he was quite good. Really fun adventure game too, kinda keeps in the spirit of the shorts, I think.

Also another reason they probably won't be making another movie is that stop motion takes a hell of a lot of time, even when everything's going fine. They did release another short after the movie that was really good though (A Matter of Loaf and Death)! So they might still make shorts when time and budget allows, but probably not another full movie.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I never got around to checking out the Wallace and Gromit's World of Invention TV series (which was Sallis' last official voicework on Wallace), was it any good at all?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I never got around to checking out the Wallace and Gromit's World of Invention TV series (which was Sallis' last official voicework on Wallace), was it any good at all?

There was very little Wallace and Gromit in it, but it was pretty interesting, if aimed at a pretty younng audience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSKyHmjyrkA

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Deadly Chlorine posted:

Yes actually, obviously you can kinda tell it's someone else, but for a video game he was quite good. Really fun adventure game too, kinda keeps in the spirit of the shorts, I think.

Also another reason they probably won't be making another movie is that stop motion takes a hell of a lot of time, even when everything's going fine. They did release another short after the movie that was really good though (A Matter of Loaf and Death)! So they might still make shorts when time and budget allows, but probably not another full movie.

Why not just use CGI and make it look like stop-motion? Lego Movie was CGI and pulled it off pretty well.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Pope Guilty posted:

Or maybe some talented animators just don't want to spend their entire life making the same cartoons over and over. Curse of the Were-Rabbit was fun but it was basically a rehash of the W&G shorts.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Why not just use CGI and make it look like stop-motion? Lego Movie was CGI and pulled it off pretty well.

They did that for Flushed Away, which was pretty decent but bombed commercially as I understand it, and suffered from having those slugs shoved into every point that could be considered a lull in the action. You could definitely tell it was CGI though. The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists! went with a stop-motion-CGI hybrid approach that worked well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Dr Snofeld posted:

They did that for Flushed Away,

I'm just reminded, but was Osmosis Jones a good film?

• Locked thread