Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Sticky posted:

Oh man, do you know how long thats good for? And where I can find that info to give my manager?

htcchampions.com if I'm not mistaken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

EbolaIvory posted:

htcchampions.com if I'm not mistaken?

This is correct. Good while supplies last.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Bow before the might of the Clarkson!
A while back I gave my girlfriend an iPhone 4 that I had after upgrading because she was still using a flip phone from 2000. She opened up a new account and they put her on a contract. Is that standard practice? Can we get out of that contract because she brought her own equipment? I really want to try a GS4 or an HTC One but my upgrade isn't coming for a long time, so I want to get her out of her contract, add her to my account which has a FAN discount and order one of those phones on her line... Possible?

kitten
Feb 6, 2003

Straithate posted:

A while back I gave my girlfriend an iPhone 4 that I had after upgrading because she was still using a flip phone from 2000. She opened up a new account and they put her on a contract. Is that standard practice? Can we get out of that contract because she brought her own equipment? I really want to try a GS4 or an HTC One but my upgrade isn't coming for a long time, so I want to get her out of her contract, add her to my account which has a FAN discount and order one of those phones on her line... Possible?

There is a way to see if the equipment on a contract was user provided. Try to get that done first. After that's done, you can transfer billing responsibility online. On her account on the left under "I want to" in the "account" section is "transfer billing responsibility". Have her fill it out. It will send you an email. Accept. Credit check ran. Profit.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
I just upgraded my ~2.5 year old HTC Surround to a Lumia 920. I also have some lovely Samsung brick phone on my family plan that I was using for a home phone. I was hoping to throw the Samsung in a lake and use the HTC as my home phone but the rep at the AT&T store said that wasn't possible without putting a data plan on it. Since I'm not on contract is there any way I can get around this or is my HTC a glorified Zune HD now?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Devo posted:

I just upgraded my ~2.5 year old HTC Surround to a Lumia 920. I also have some lovely Samsung brick phone on my family plan that I was using for a home phone. I was hoping to throw the Samsung in a lake and use the HTC as my home phone but the rep at the AT&T store said that wasn't possible without putting a data plan on it. Since I'm not on contract is there any way I can get around this or is my HTC a glorified Zune HD now?

Smartphones require data regardless of age, so unfortunately no.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Well, shucks. Maybe I'll get the home phone set up that he was trying to sell me at the store and put that on my family plan instead. Looked decent enough. Then I could still throw this Samsung in a lake.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Smartphones require data regardless of age, so unfortunately no.

Come over and ask in the prepaid thread, someone will be able to help you. You might have to get the phone unlocked first.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
What are the odds At&t would allow me to get a fully discounted upgrade 4 months early? Right now I have an early iphone discount which is worthless to me and not much of a discount anyway, but I'd like to move back to an LTE phone (Probably HTC One or S4) in the next month or so. I'd purchased an Original Note on contract over a year ago and then sold it to continue using a Galaxy Nexus. I really just don't want to pay off contract pricing from At&t. I've had service with them for 10 years too. My friends on Sprint and VZ seems to get some type of loyalty discount crap if they've had the contract long enough and are in good bill standing.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

thebushcommander posted:

What are the odds At&t would allow me to get a fully discounted upgrade 4 months early? Right now I have an early iphone discount which is worthless to me and not much of a discount anyway, but I'd like to move back to an LTE phone (Probably HTC One or S4) in the next month or so. I'd purchased an Original Note on contract over a year ago and then sold it to continue using a Galaxy Nexus. I really just don't want to pay off contract pricing from At&t. I've had service with them for 10 years too. My friends on Sprint and VZ seems to get some type of loyalty discount crap if they've had the contract long enough and are in good bill standing.

Zero, zilch, nada. Feel free to try and get care to do it, but it is almost def a no, and given that a verizon and sprint killed all their loyalty discount crap you unfortunately have no standing ground. FYI with ATT you already get upgrades 5 months before the contract is up, so they really will not bump it further. And length of time with a wireless company pretty much means nothing.

if care can do it do not go into a corp store because they still won't do it, so if phone support actually gives you am offer order from them.

Now if you want to buy a home phone tablet or mifi, a store manager might take exception. But I would assume that isn't the case.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
No chance that I can get my iPhone 5 unlocked by AT&T, right? I'm traveling internationally next month and I'd like to be able to swap SIMs. I'm only ~7 months into my contract.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I'm going to be going to Europe for a few weeks later this month. Is there some sort of plan I need to activate in order for my Note 2 to work over there? Or should I get some sort of pay as you go sim card from one of the local carriers?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

quadratic posted:

No chance that I can get my iPhone 5 unlocked by AT&T, right? I'm traveling internationally next month and I'd like to be able to swap SIMs. I'm only ~7 months into my contract.

Never hurts to call and ask, but official policy is no.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Arn't there ebay sellers that will unlock GSM iphones?

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Don Lapre posted:

Arn't there ebay sellers that will unlock GSM iphones?

Yes, but unless you are under contract, just have AT&T do it for free.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

If it's an iPhone 5 on AT&T it's almost certainly under contract, and they won't unlock it because that would defeat the chance of them charging you a huge amount of money for roaming.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
They denied me, but I didn't try very hard.

I paid $4 and got it unlocked by a third-party.

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!
Is there any way to swap my AT&T number with my Google Voice number without breaking my AT&T contract? Would it be easier to do between upgrades or something? I have another 1.5 years on my contract, I think.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Sobriquet posted:

Is there any way to swap my AT&T number with my Google Voice number without breaking my AT&T contract? Would it be easier to do between upgrades or something? I have another 1.5 years on my contract, I think.

I've read google voice has a pretty good delay with number porting.
So people put int he request with google voice then immediately change their phone number and google voice still grabs the old number.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sobriquet posted:

You would very likely have to break your contract, AT&T can change your number but I don't know if they would both change your number and let you port out the old one. Call care and ask, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I ported from Sprint to google voice 2 months back. Google says it takes 24 hours to process over, and it was pretty much 24 hours on the dot.

Depending on your phone and ETF, you could port to google voice to cancel, sell current phone and just re add a new number with random new phone number. If you want it with the same account you have now you would likely have to add the line first. If not, you could just start a new account.

Once you are out of contract, what I just wrote above would work fine just there would be no ETF.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Don Lapre posted:

I've read google voice has a pretty good delay with number porting.
So people put int he request with google voice then immediately change their phone number and google voice still grabs the old number.

I wouldn't recommend this. Care may be able to reactivate your line with a different number after you port out, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. Just make sure your account is notated, and bear in mind that if what you're trying to do doesn't work out, worst case scenario is that you're on the hook for the ETF, or you end up eating the $20 port charge that Google bills you for and have to reactivate your number on AT&T.

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!
Thanks for all the quick responses. It's not a big enough deal for me to mess with the ETF and all that. Plus I'm on a family plan that I'm not officially the head of and I don't want to create any headaches for my dad. I'll probably just wait for my next upgrade cycle - I may move to another city by then and be moving to another carrier or something anyway.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Sobriquet posted:

I was very satisfied using Sprint Google Voice integration since it became available, where your Sprint number is shared and becomes your Google Voice number. Then, I ported my # to Google Voice to close my Sprint account. It was very unreliable, and Google provides zero support other than their FAQ. MMS doesn't work. Calls would go to voicemail after 1 or 2 rings (though the caller would hear 4-5), or none at all. Outgoing calls and texts would occasionally come from my "invisible" number rather than my GVoice number. And the iOS GVoice app is terrible.

Porting in took a little more than 24 hours--longer than mobile phone porting usually takes. Porting out takes 3-5 days, and the backend company that holds your GVoice number sometimes rejects the port request.

I didn't have to pay the $3 to port it back out, fortunately. I've been in touch with Google Wallet/Checkout to try and contact Google Voice to demand a refund of the $20 port fee. Even Wallet support didn't have a phone or email contact info for Voice.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
If you have a Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket (AT&T) -- DO NOT UPGRADE TO JELLYBEAN.

Non-rooted stock phone. Super unstable, software crashing on a regular basis for no observable reason (both during use and at random). I haven't owned a phone I don't crash once in a while, but it's happening every other day now.

That said, when it's working it's sex as all hell, the OS app guis/widgets are massively improved.

EDIT:
Just checked and looks like my upgrade date is 6/7, thankfully. S4 here I come.

c0ldfuse fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 6, 2013

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

c0ldfuse posted:

If you have a Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket (AT&T) -- DO NOT UPGRADE TO JELLYBEAN.

Non-rooted stock phone. Super unstable, software crashing on a regular basis for no observable reason (both during use and at random). I haven't owned a phone I don't crash once in a while, but it's happening every other day now.

This is rather alarmist, don't you think?

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

nimper posted:

This is rather alarmist, don't you think?

It just crashed again. As in remove battery to restart crashed.

I wouldn't honestly recommend against upgrading unless it was bad enough for me to go through the effort to find this thread and post it, which is admittedly significant.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

c0ldfuse posted:

It just crashed again. As in remove battery to restart crashed.

I wouldn't honestly recommend against upgrading unless it was bad enough for me to go through the effort to find this thread and post it, which is admittedly significant.

You are one person having a problem with your phone after an update. While lovely for you, that does not mean the update is broken.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Also willing to bet that you did not perform a factory reset after GB->JB

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

SeaborneClink posted:

Also willing to bet that you did not perform a factory reset after GB->JB

Doing it tonight, didn't know this was a standard thing to do.

Apologies for admittedly alarmist post, but it happened yet again since last post too. Frustration abounds.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

goku chewbacca posted:

I was very satisfied using Sprint Google Voice integration since it became available, where your Sprint number is shared and becomes your Google Voice number. Then, I ported my # to Google Voice to close my Sprint account. It was very unreliable, and Google provides zero support other than their FAQ. MMS doesn't work. Calls would go to voicemail after 1 or 2 rings (though the caller would hear 4-5), or none at all. Outgoing calls and texts would occasionally come from my "invisible" number rather than my GVoice number. And the iOS GVoice app is terrible.

Porting in took a little more than 24 hours--longer than mobile phone porting usually takes. Porting out takes 3-5 days, and the backend company that holds your GVoice number sometimes rejects the port request.

I didn't have to pay the $3 to port it back out, fortunately. I've been in touch with Google Wallet/Checkout to try and contact Google Voice to demand a refund of the $20 port fee. Even Wallet support didn't have a phone or email contact info for Voice.

I would def agree that google voice does has issues and definitely has terrible customer support, but weirdly enough for me I have yet to have a real issue with it. I've used it on Tmobile, Sprint (both as a sprint number and as a google voice number) and AT&T. Beyond lack of MMS (or even notification that someone tried to send me a drat MMS) I don't have a complaint yet. I would say on AT&T its easier to just use their voicemail vs forwarding to google voicemail, so rear end that to the complaints.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

nevermind

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima
Anyone have much success with the at&t recycle program? The top button on my iphone 4s does not work but I was hoping I could recycline it to AT&T. My other option would be replacing it for $199 and then selling the replacement.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Medikit posted:

Anyone have much success with the at&t recycle program? The top button on my iphone 4s does not work but I was hoping I could recycline it to AT&T. My other option would be replacing it for $199 and then selling the replacement.

The latter option is much better. Although, look for an independent repair place. Got one in town that will fix a button for $40 parts and labor.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy
Should I include Aio wireless now in the thread? It seems like AT&T is trying to make it completely separate from them. So I feel like no. But I just wanted your guys opinions.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

obeyasia posted:

The latter option is much better. Although, look for an independent repair place. Got one in town that will fix a button for $40 parts and labor.

I'd say no to anything that isn't specifically branded AT&T.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

Should I include Aio wireless now in the thread? It seems like AT&T is trying to make it completely separate from them. So I feel like no. But I just wanted your guys opinions.

No, especially because they won't be in ATT stores.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
To anyone on AT&T, the current trade in promo is really good. Most old smartphones that get a small trade in get rounded up to $100. So the 3GS would normally have a $30 trade in, but ATT will give you $100 for it. The craziest one so far is a HTC Hero trades for $2 but it gets rounded to $98.

So stop by a corp store with your old phones, you can trade it towards anything in store or a bill credit.

Even the original iPhone and iPhone 3G seem to qualify.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 13, 2013

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Duckman2008 posted:

To anyone on AT&T, the current trade in promo is really good. Most old smartphones that get a small trade in get rounded up to $100. So the 3GS would normally have a $30 trade in, but ATT will give you $100 for it. The craziest one so far is a HTC Hero trades for $2 but it gets rounded to $98.

So stop by a corp store with your old phones, you can trade it towards anything in store or a bill credit.

Even the original iPhone and iPhone 3G seem to qualify.

Just for laughs, what would a Palm Pixi get you?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Duckman2008 posted:

Does this have to be done concurrently with an upgrade or can I just get myself some bill credits? You know how working in wireless goes, the cellphones just seem to pile up :ninja:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

SeaborneClink posted:

Does this have to be done concurrently with an upgrade or can I just get myself some bill credits? You know how working in wireless goes, the cellphones just seem to pile up :ninja:

Officially, can be done for any reason. Depending on what store you go in, seedy wireless people will make you try to buy something. You can use the credit for your bill, yes.

Palm Pixi = zero