Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Recently got the iPhone 13 and realized my plan doesn’t allow for 5G. Trying to figure out what my options are without totally screwing myself over for what might very likely very half baked 5G coverage even if I live in major metro area.

Currently have a plan where I got 45GB of shared data (got it on a double your data promotion a while back) split between two phones and an Apple Watch. Specifically I do need a bunch of tethering data for my devices on the road but I could easily do with closer to 30 if that gives me better options.

Here are some screenshots of my plan and a sample breakdown for a phone.

Thanks!

xilni fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

Is AT&T First Net better than regular AT&T service? I can join my sister’s First Net plan, but I’m not impressed with the speed on AT&T, especially compared to T-Mobile.

Edit: I’m using AT&T service on a RedPocket sim.

GhostOfTomNook fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 12, 2021

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

GhostOfTomNook posted:

Is AT&T First Net better than regular AT&T service? I can join my sister’s First Net plan, but I’m not impressed with the speed on AT&T, especially compared to T-Mobile.

Anecdotally, people say First Net is an improvement over commercial AT&T service. If I can add an unlimited line for $35 that seems like a pretty solid deal.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

GhostOfTomNook posted:

I don’t work at ATT anymore to tell you, but I would say red pocket would have slower speeds than normal ATT, and first net probably has priority access, so possibly faster when the network is busy / congested, same speeds in normal times.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

AT&T is offering $800 trade-in value for a Pixel 5 towards an iPhone 13 Pro, but it looks like I only get the option if I do it as an installment plan. Will I be able to just pay the phone off in one shot after, or will I be stuck with the $8.xx/month?

Will it be easier if I go into the store for the trade-in?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Shroomie posted:

AT&T is offering $800 trade-in value for a Pixel 5 towards an iPhone 13 Pro, but it looks like I only get the option if I do it as an installment plan. Will I be able to just pay the phone off in one shot after, or will I be stuck with the $8.xx/month?

Will it be easier if I go into the store for the trade-in?

You must keep the device on the payment plan to keep on receiving the credits, this is what all carriers do to retain customers over the timespan of their payment plans.

quote:

To get all the credits, the discounted device must remain on installment agreement and you must keep eligible service for entire installment term.

If you upgrade or pay up/off the installment agreement on the discounted device early, your credits may cease.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Well that's annoying.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I'm trying to ensure my new P6 Pro is properly configured. I'm not entirely sure that it is. My wife's S21 Ultra is showing a 5G indicator and it shows only the 4636 menu R+N with 4 channels under cell info. My P6 Pro is showing 5Ge and R+P with a single channel under cell info on that same menu.

Of course, both tech support and the store have just said "its setup correctly you might not see it if you're not in the right area" with absolutely no answer when I say "Right, but my wife's phone is showing this in my other hand."

I've got a 5G enabled business plan associated with my line and the only other thing I can thing of is I still have an old orange SIM card from probably my P2XL. Is old SIM card still a thing or do I need to call 611 and yell at someone?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Here is my dumb story about what I had to do to get my phone to be respected by AT&T's new network.

In the US there are at least 2 versions of the OnePlus 7T sold through Amazon with basically identical specs and identical radios. Their model numbers differ slightly. One of them is on the ATT list of approved devices for the 3g end of life, the other phone is not. I have the unlisted model.

I started getting texts indicating my phone would not be supported. I googled this issue and found the 2 model numbers and a reddit thread where someone had gotten a tech to do an override of some kind. I called a tech and explained this all, they asked for my IMEI, they said it came back as "accepted" and I was good to go.

A month later I was redirected to AT&T support when trying to make a call. I referenced the previous calls, and the tech told me "yes I see all the call notes. Look, you'll be fine once the transition happens, but, I can't stop you from getting text messages in the meantime, sorry!"

A month later, I was again redirected to AT&T support when trying to make a call, and referenced the entire previous chain of events. At this point the tech says "okay, what if I just send you a new phone? You never even need to activate it, but then if you get redirected to this workflow again, just reference this date and say you were sent a device." I pressed on this to make sure that I literally just needed to say "yes" and then throw the new device in a closet. The tech told me three times this was the case.

A week ago I got a box from ATT with some cheap Alcatel smart phone in it. I tossed it on a shelf.

Yesterday I got a text message saying that if I didn't activate my new device, I would lose the ability to make or receive calls as of 11/7 :allears:

I went to att.com/myprepaiddevice and used the "change IMEI" workflow without actually moving my sim over to the Alcatel phone at any point. I then rebooted my OnePlus 7T to verify it would still make and receive calls on a reboot after the IMEI change on the AT&T side.

Not only does the phone function, my "LTE" icon has been replaced with a "VoLTE" icon, leading me to believe that I may finally actually be all set.

Good luck out there.

Dillon2
Apr 3, 2018
What is a new android phone AT&T carries that can run a hotspot without it counting against my hotspot data? I can follow an XDA guide to root it and stuff but thats about it if needed

Im also willing to constantly swap my sim card around and buy a hotspot that will spoof itself as a smartphone

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Dillon2 posted:

What is a new android phone AT&T carries that can run a hotspot without it counting against my hotspot data? I can follow an XDA guide to root it and stuff but thats about it if needed

I use AT&T prepaid with a OneTouch 7T and as far as I can tell, tether data just goes against my general data plan. I basically never run out excluding poo poo like family vacations in the woods where I have data and no one else does.

I get 8gb LTE data which can rollover (to a total max of 16gb, IIRC) and it's $50/mo except it's $10 off if you do autopayments, so for $80 we have two lines, 16gb of data, unlimited talk text. When I signed up for it this was one of the better deals in town, but our geographic location also kind of locks us into ATT which actually isn't great in general here.

Edit: I take that back, I think I get 8gb a month with a total possible 16gb of rollover, if I am parsing that screen correctly?

It's basically something I never think about and I do poo poo like take Zoom calls from my maple operation or play Magic Arena on car trips (not while driving, usually).

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Whats the current landscape for unlocked Samsung phones on ATT?

my Mom has a Galaxy S8 which i was suprised to find a few years back wasn't allowed to get wifi-calling since it was unbranded not ATT.

I know unlocked Apple and Google Phones have no issue. I've seen the device capabilities PDF below but it has the S21 generation listed in both "HD voice only" and "HD voice, wifi calling and 5g" categories

https://www.att.com/idpassets/images/support/wireless/Service-Capabilities-Unlocked-Devices-ATT-Network.pdf

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
They generally won't allow anything that's dual SIM
It's specific to the model #, there's an IMEI based whitelist

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Charles posted:

They generally won't allow anything that's dual SIM
It's specific to the model #, there's an IMEI based whitelist

YMMV but per my last posts, my current situation is "activated VoLTE just fine on a dual sim phone that's not whitelisted (that only has one sim in it) but does have compatible radios."

I did this by getting AT&T to send me a free Alcatel phone, then used the /myprepaiddevice to "activate" that IMEI without ever switching the SIM, putting the Alcatel box back on my shelf, rebooting my OneTouch 7T and presto chango, VoLTE status. This was more than a week ago now and I've rebooted and gone in and out of range many times.

It seems to me that whether you get VoLTE on your account has to do with some bit that's set on AT&T's side along with having a compatible device, and, further, the network does not check that your device IMEI matches what's on your account. The latter is unsurprising to me because I have swapped sim cards around a lot.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Cabbages and Kings posted:

YMMV but per my last posts, my current situation is "activated VoLTE just fine on a dual sim phone that's not whitelisted (that only has one sim in it) but does have compatible radios."

I did this by getting AT&T to send me a free Alcatel phone, then used the /myprepaiddevice to "activate" that IMEI without ever switching the SIM, putting the Alcatel box back on my shelf, rebooting my OneTouch 7T and presto chango, VoLTE status. This was more than a week ago now and I've rebooted and gone in and out of range many times.

It seems to me that whether you get VoLTE on your account has to do with some bit that's set on AT&T's side along with having a compatible device, and, further, the network does not check that your device IMEI matches what's on your account. The latter is unsurprising to me because I have swapped sim cards around a lot.

VoLTE seems to be the lowest tier of ATTs shenanigans. On this page: https://www.att.com/idpassets/images/support/wireless/Service-Capabilities-Unlocked-Devices-ATT-Network.pdf
oneplus 7T is listed as getting HD voice which is their marketing name for VoLTE. The offer that on most phones on the list. Wifi calling seems to be the one they are really restrictive on. My current Xperia 1iii supports 5g and gets 5g on Verizon and Tmobile while on ATT it only gets VoLTE, no 5g or wifi calling. If not for being on a family plan, i'd probably switch...

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Some people may refer to VoLTE as HD Voice but that isn't correct. HD Voice is a generic term for a wideband audio codec, which can be implemented on 3g, etc.

You have to be sure that the exact model number is on that list too.

If your technique for getting an unlisted phone keeps working that's good, but I wouldn't count it as supported.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Charles posted:

You have to be sure that the exact model number is on that list too.

If your technique for getting an unlisted phone keeps working that's good, but I wouldn't count it as supported.

I don't give a poo poo if it's "supported" or not. What does "supported" even mean? I am antagonistic with this company in general. Right now I have active service with VoLTE on a device that's definitely not in the whitelist:

The dumb, hosed up thing is that the HD1907 is the totally normal US version of this device. The HD1905 which is radio identical and is on the whitelist was the T-Mobile branded one (???!?!)

If they cut me off based on IMEI at some point, I will hack the IMEI on my rooted device to match the IMEI they expect, and if that stops working :shrug: I will give my money to some other stupid lovely telco. For the moment I have unlimited talk/text and 8gb of LTE data with 16gb of rollover data for $40/month, which is cheaper than anything VZ had last I looked, but, whatever, no faith, no religion.

CalvinandHobbes posted:

VoLTE seems to be the lowest tier of ATTs shenanigans. On this page: https://www.att.com/idpassets/images/support/wireless/Service-Capabilities-Unlocked-Devices-ATT-Network.pdf
oneplus 7T is listed as getting HD voice which is their marketing name for VoLTE.

Oneplus 7T 1905 is, and 1907 isn't. My guess is they had an unpaid intern put this list together, that would be a very normal thing to do in this situation.

It's a bad list, AT&T is a bad company, but almost certainly not any worse than any other American national telco.

Companies dicking me around over my ability to do "wifi calling" is deeply hilarious to me given that 90% of my voice calls are through Signal which does not give a gently caress about wifi calling capabilities, only having wifi!!

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 21, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Please don't shoot the messenger! I tried to get them to support my phones and they wouldn't budge. I'm as annoyed as anyone else.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cabbages and Kings posted:

It's a bad list, AT&T is a bad company, but almost certainly not any worse than any other American national telco.

I am just here to say that while yes, it is a low bar, ATT is absolutely the worst American Telco company. Horrible to their customers and horrible to their employees.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Charles posted:

Please don't shoot the messenger! I tried to get them to support my phones and they wouldn't budge. I'm as annoyed as anyone else.

yea, sorry, I realized I sounded aggressive, which is why I did the strikethrough text but left it there.

Duckman2008 posted:

I am just here to say that while yes, it is a low bar, ATT is absolutely the worst American Telco company. Horrible to their customers and horrible to their employees.

Fair. I'd love to switch to VZ but then I don't really have local service which is a worry if one of us is on a walk in the nearby forests with the kids or something. I should re-evaluate VZ coverage here, though.

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

I have given serious thought to switching from AT&T to Spectrum Mobile, because SM recently changed their unlimited price to $30/mo for 2 lines which would be perfect for my wife and I. Does anyone know anything about the quality of Spectrum Mobile?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

frosteh posted:

I have given serious thought to switching from AT&T to Spectrum Mobile, because SM recently changed their unlimited price to $30/mo for 2 lines which would be perfect for my wife and I. Does anyone know anything about the quality of Spectrum Mobile?

It’s totally fine. It’s a Verizon MVNO so if you have good Verizon coverage, you’ll have good Spectrum coverage. We do the by the gig plan on my wife’s phone and very rarely is it over $15 a month.

Obama2
Oct 22, 2021
Do not buy screen protectors or cases from AT&T. Their screen protectors come with a lifetime warranty where if you pay $40 for one up front you can get free replacements for life for just $8. Meanwhile, a three pack of screen protectors on Amazon is $8

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Obama2 posted:

Do not buy screen protectors or cases from AT&T. Their screen protectors come with a lifetime warranty where if you pay $40 for one up front you can get free replacements for life for just $8. Meanwhile, a three pack of screen protectors on Amazon is $8

Agreed. I usually just get whatever cheapo tempered glass protector that'll keep my screen from getting scratched up and they always serve me well. Crazy how high of a markup retails places do for them. Think some of the ones at like Best Buy push above $40.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I just discovered that not only have I been needlessly carrying two phones in my pocket (one is dual sim), but also that I can get wifi calling even on non-AT&T phones.

Nyc_Tattoo
Feb 28, 2001

Tread Carefully,
lest thou rouse the
Coupons Dragon
Grimey Drawer

carticket posted:

I can get wifi calling even on non-AT&T phones.

How? I've had zero luck with a non at&t note 8 and note 10.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Nyc_Tattoo posted:

How? I've had zero luck with a non at&t note 8 and note 10.

Pixel 6 and Pixel 4a both running Android 12, it's just an option burried in mobile stuff.

Network & Internet -> Calls & SMS -> Wi-Fi Calling -> AT&T -> Enable

carticket fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 10, 2021

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Does this thread have an AT&T rep the same way that the Verizon thread does?

I need to get a line off our corporate account but it needs an account to transfer to, but I'm looking for a new account for the user. So it's a chicken+egg kind of thing.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
There should be just a standard AT&T process to assume it into a new account. Extra fun if it's your spouse's work phone going into your name because you have the ultimate Verizon account,, but that wasn't too bad. It did take me like five hours to do the process, all of which was on hold or waiting because their process is poo poo and their systems are poo poo. I was really cranky at the end, and the poor woman said I was her best customer all day

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Is this option available for you or does transferring from corporate to residential complicate things?

https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1009069/

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Boywhiz88 posted:

Does this thread have an AT&T rep the same way that the Verizon thread does?

I need to get a line off our corporate account but it needs an account to transfer to, but I'm looking for a new account for the user. So it's a chicken+egg kind of thing.

No, because ATT treats employees like crap so we all eventually switched companies. It was me 8 years ago however!

The question is actually pretty straight forward , you call bus support, release the number , they call said person and move it over.

When they talk to the person and move it over, that’s when the account is created. You can’t have an active account on any carrier without an active line, so there isn’t any “person calls in to create base account, then number is moved over” stuff. Account is created at time of transfer.

It’ll be like , an hour long process. The term you give them is assumption of liability / transferring number from bus account to personal account.

Also, and goes without saying, but gently caress ATT (happy to help people here when I can though!).

Obama2
Oct 22, 2021
Figured out how to get an unlimited hotspot. Pay cash for a hotspot box, then ask for a BYOD new line on unlimited elite, say it’s for a Samsung phone and that it’s at the house and you just need the SIM card, then take the SIM card and pop it in the hotspot.

Boom. Unlimited data with no throttling

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Duckman2008 posted:

No, because ATT treats employees like crap so we all eventually switched companies. It was me 8 years ago however!

The question is actually pretty straight forward , you call bus support, release the number , they call said person and move it over.

When they talk to the person and move it over, that’s when the account is created. You can’t have an active account on any carrier without an active line, so there isn’t any “person calls in to create base account, then number is moved over” stuff. Account is created at time of transfer.

It’ll be like , an hour long process. The term you give them is assumption of liability / transferring number from bus account to personal account.

Also, and goes without saying, but gently caress ATT (happy to help people here when I can though!).

Lmao, thank you again Duckman! Any folks looking to work w Duckman, I can endorse and recommend the experience!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Need a new SIM because a kid lost theirs. Drive 20 mins to the ATT store. "Yeah, you're gonna have to call customer service for that. There's a current promo on this line so we can't do any equipment changes." :sigh:

When I got home, I called and within 5 mins the order is placed for a new one. Expected delivery date Jan 12 :argh:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Need a new SIM because a kid lost theirs. Drive 20 mins to the ATT store. "Yeah, you're gonna have to call customer service for that. There's a current promo on this line so we can't do any equipment changes." :sigh:

When I got home, I called and within 5 mins the order is placed for a new one. Expected delivery date Jan 12 :argh:

Wtf? Was this at a company store.

As you can see above, I don’t work for ATT and don’t like them. But I don’t get that. A. SIMs were always free in the stores, B. There’s a chip shortage, but SIM cards are def not affected lol , and C. Even if a store rep wanted to get something commission based, it’s way easier to just quick activate the SIM than say no, go gently caress your self.

Like, I don’t get this at all. Except , as always.

Duckman2008 posted:

gently caress ATT

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

As you can see above, I don’t work for ATT and don’t like them. But I don’t get that. A. SIMs were always free in the stores, B. There’s a chip shortage, but SIM cards are def not affected lol , and C. Even if a store rep wanted to get something commission based, it’s way easier to just quick activate the SIM than say no, go gently caress your self.

Yep, company store.

The store also wanted to charge me $5, which I thought was odd. It was free when I got home and called.

Oh well, at least one is allegedly on its way.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Duckman2008 posted:

Did you work for AT&T or for one of their sub-contractors? I think it was Prime I heard some horrible things on

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Charles posted:

Did you work for AT&T or for one of their sub-contractors? I think it was Prime I heard some horrible things on

I worked for corporate ATT in phone retail for 2 years 10 months. 2 years as a rep, 10 months as an assistant manager.

The reason I still know the exact time length is that it got so bad I left for the red company at 2 years 10 months, 2 months before I was vested. I left $7k on the table to leave that company, and it was absolutely the best decision I made.

I can’t say it enough, gently caress ATT.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Anyone notice an uptick in spam calls lately? Since yesterday I’ve had like 10 or so calls to set up Direct TV.

This literally started yesterday so I have no clue what’s up lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

No spam calls but I’m getting bombarded with spam group texts from email addresses and I can’t figure out to get it to stop.

Called 611 2 days ago and they said they disabled my numbers ability to receive texts from email addresses, and this morning I’ve received 10 in 2 hours.