Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Is anyone familiar with what happens if you pay off a phone early when receiving the bill credits for a trade in? As in you trade in an old phone and receive a new phone "for free", which in reality is placed in say +$20 bill installments for so many months - which are then immediately offset by your trade -$20 for so many months. If you pay it off early, do you still get the -$20 reduction for the remaining months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You should be able to read those terms and conditions on ATT's website but most carriers will cancel your promotion credits with the device payoff and you will lose out.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Untagged posted:

Is anyone familiar with what happens if you pay off a phone early when receiving the bill credits for a trade in? As in you trade in an old phone and receive a new phone "for free", which in reality is placed in say +$20 bill installments for so many months - which are then immediately offset by your trade -$20 for so many months. If you pay it off early, do you still get the -$20 reduction for the remaining months.

It’ll almost def drop the promo so don’t do this.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

The Dave posted:

You should be able to read those terms and conditions on ATT's website but most carriers will cancel your promotion credits with the device payoff and you will lose out.

Yeah, I figured as much. The problem is the language isn't exactly clear:

"If you upgrade or pay up/off the installment agreement on the discounted device early, your credits may cease."

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Untagged posted:

Yeah, I figured as much. The problem is the language isn't exactly clear:

"If you upgrade or pay up/off the installment agreement on the discounted device early, your credits may cease."

After years being involved in zoning agreements I have firmly learned that if a company says they want to be able to do something but it's just a formality, that absolutely won't, that means they are absolutely are going to do it because they put it in their legal agreement that they can.

Always, always, always assume that you are going to be hosed by whatever anyone says they can do, not what they have a legal obligation to do. This applies to everything from software upgrades on whatever hardware you buy to a McDonalds applying for a restaurant rezoning that includes the ability to put a coal fired lead smelter on the property.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 31, 2022

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

They put “may” in places where they mean “shall” so that on the off chance that enforcing or following through with something like that might be bad for them, they want the option to not do it.

Also if they fail to enforce it, it could allow a judge to say the whole thing is unenforceable

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
After trying hard to actually justify getting a phone for as cheap as possible through some sort of carrier finance program, they most definitely are nothing more than to get you to stick within their bounds for as long as possible.

If cost is of any concern, you'd be better off saving money with a prepaid provider and buying a phone either used, or outright with a cashback credit card. The latter can also sometimes apply additional benefits like warranties.

In the end, bill credits are their clever way to keep you locked in without explicitly calling it a contract. I'd only recommend them if you're getting some sort of good discount or you just absolutely do not want to hassle with finding cheap service or are okay paying a premium to have the latest tech.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Untagged posted:

I upgraded my sons phone in December to a iphone 13, trarded in an iphone 7 plus, got a $350 credit. That credit was put towards the 36 month installment plan. When I look at my bill it shows how many payments I have left, and the value of the phone as $799, not half that based on the trade in amount. So yeah, you can't pay it off early.

My mother needed a new phone so we did this rather than her paying $800 out of pocket (she's on my plan) and it was just easier to do the installment plan with her and get the trade value.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Went into the AT&T store today to change plans, the rep told me I can save $10/mo. by becoming an AARP member. Did the research, looks legit.

Anyone know if there are any other organizations that have similar deals with AT&T? I'd rather my money not go to them.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My AT&T gigabit fiber and TV package (U200?) comes to $160 at the moment and I only use the TV side for locals and sport, so I'm going to finally dump the TV side and to it all online. I remember before that AT&T don't need you to add the Unlimited surcharge in all areas which is built in if you have TV, is there a way of finding out if I have to pay that or not before I call? Looks like my internet is $59.99 so if it's like $20-30 to make it unlimited it should be well worth it. They totally bumped the prices up just after I renewed last year despite 'locking it in'.

By AT&Ts own estimation I used between 2.5-3.5TB most months so the 1TB cap with $10/50gb overages is absolutely not the way for me to roll.

e: ah looks like it'll be $80 for the 1TB service with no data caps when I tried entering a neighbors address into the availability. Definitely more appealing than it used to be.

e2: no point bumping as nobody posting at the moment, but jeez the price for the TV service was even more than it looked on the bill. My ongoing cost for gigabit fiber uncapped is $50 (probably some fees and taxes, so maybe $60 after all that) so a hundred bucks less than I was paying for a service I never used outside of hockey season. Time to get a decent antenna finally installed as it seems a free/cheap online option just for that isn't gonna happen any time soon.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 18, 2022

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'm trying to help my parents switch wireless providers and in our area ATT is one of the better options based on coverage. On their website for the cheapest unlimited plan it says that you can get throttled if the network is busy. Is that just a CYA thing or is it normal to expect the data speeds to get throttled?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm trying to help my parents switch wireless providers and in our area ATT is one of the better options based on coverage. On their website for the cheapest unlimited plan it says that you can get throttled if the network is busy. Is that just a CYA thing or is it normal to expect the data speeds to get throttled?

If it’s like what all 3 do, it means if they’re on a busy tower they’ll see slower speeds. Think rush hour, sporting event , live event , etc.

Honestly, most customers I sell to I don’t think notice. I would make sure they are aware of it, worst case they can always raise their plan.

Note: data only, phone calls not affected.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
Thinking ahead to the next round of iPhones and wondering what the pros and cons of upgrading via AT&T vs Apple directly.

For years I did the annual iPhone upgrade with their next plans. Then I got the 11 and just never got around to upgrading, so it's paid off.

I like the idea of option of AppleCare++ plus loss and theft with going through Apple, but doesn't AT&T provide a small bill discount for doing upgrades and payments through them?

This is ignoring the unknown of any trade-in offers my 11 might qualify for.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

SimplyCosmic posted:

Thinking ahead to the next round of iPhones and wondering what the pros and cons of upgrading via AT&T vs Apple directly.

For years I did the annual iPhone upgrade with their next plans. Then I got the 11 and just never got around to upgrading, so it's paid off.

I like the idea of option of AppleCare++ plus loss and theft with going through Apple, but doesn't AT&T provide a small bill discount for doing upgrades and payments through them?

This is ignoring the unknown of any trade-in offers my 11 might qualify for.

It probably depends on how often you want to upgrade. If you're the kind of person who upgrades every few years, taking advantage of a trade-in promo from ATT is a good deal. If you want to upgrade more often, like every year, Apple's iPhone Upgrade program is probably the way to go.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

I just received a call out of the blue from my old man. Apparently he went into an AT&T store with my older brother, ordered two phones, and are now being charged for three phones and three lines.

This all is due to the fact that there was a new guy on the first day they went in who was not able to complete the order. They came back the next day and another employee set them up and started over from scratch.

My father and brother have said that the reps have even admitted they messed up but are unable to correct the issue. My father has been to multiple stores and has made call after call but he keeps getting the runaround.

Now he is asking me to go with him to the store and begging for me to magically fix all this.

Anyone want to clue me into the hell I am about to dip my toe into?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Retail associates are usually at the lower end of permissions / access because there’s a flawed belief that their time should always be on closing a sale.

There’s a chance if you call into support you can work your way to someone that’s a higher level that has a better idea of what to do or has access to tools the retail associate doesn’t. Warning that it might take a lot of time and some escalations to get there.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

loving Moron posted:

I just received a call out of the blue from my old man. Apparently he went into an AT&T store with my older brother, ordered two phones, and are now being charged for three phones and three lines.

This all is due to the fact that there was a new guy on the first day they went in who was not able to complete the order. They came back the next day and another employee set them up and started over from scratch.

My father and brother have said that the reps have even admitted they messed up but are unable to correct the issue. My father has been to multiple stores and has made call after call but he keeps getting the runaround.

Now he is asking me to go with him to the store and begging for me to magically fix all this.

Anyone want to clue me into the hell I am about to dip my toe into?

Find the CEO’s email and have him email a complaint.

Otherwise I would recommend sitting down with your dad, logging into the ATT account to see wtf happened , then it’s call customer care and basically file a dispute that they never got a 3rd phone. If they weren’t given an extra phone , then obviously they shouldn’t be charged for it.

If they were given an extra phone, then they have to return it. It’s holiday return period it should still be returnable.

The Dave posted:

Retail associates are usually at the lower end of permissions / access because there’s a flawed belief that their time should always be on closing a sale.

It’s even worse than that with ATT. Every ATT store is 100% unionized. The only thing that ATT hates more than it’s customers is its retail employees.

Not a negative statement against unions, just that employment at most ATT stores is an extremely toxic environment.

And yes, retail employees for all 3 have basically no power for credits. That wouldn’t be profitable and we can’t have that.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Going to post this in a few threads since there's a blizzard coming and my sister doesn't have a phone.

My dad switched our family plan from AT&T to Xfinity Mobile (Verizon network). 3 of the 4 phones swapped over fine but Xfinity is saying my sister's iPhone 14 Pro Max is incompatible. She paid off the whole phone with AT&T and the phone is now unlocked, but they are saying she has to sell it herself and buy a new one from them. Is there any technical reason this phone is actually incompatible? Long gone are the days of GSM and CDMA, right?

It sounds like it's just the IMEI not being in their database? This post about another Verizon network company sounds similar but the solution didn't work for her: https://www.reddit.com/r/Visible/comments/rzby5z/solution_if_your_phone_is_unlocked_and_visible/

Any info would be very appreciated!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Just ordered some iPhones 15 for my wife and me. Where do people stand on the AT&T protection plan vs. AppleCare? We’ve never actually filed a claim in the two years we’ve had our current phones, but I like having the loss and theft protection. However, I very much do not like the “we might use Temu parts and void your warranty lol” part of Asurion’s agreement.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah I’d definitely go with apple care.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Do new iPhones from ATT come with an eSIM or are they still on a physical SIM?

I bought a new 15 Pro on my sons line, and I want to SIM swap so I get the phone and he gets my current one. Is this possible with eSIM?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Do new iPhones from ATT come with an eSIM or are they still on a physical SIM?

I bought a new 15 Pro on my sons line, and I want to SIM swap so I get the phone and he gets my current one. Is this possible with eSIM?

iPhones no longer have a slot for a physical SIM card.

You’ll have to call ATT and have them manually swap the SIMs. One time inconvenience and you should be good.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Just ordered some iPhones 15 for my wife and me. Where do people stand on the AT&T protection plan vs. AppleCare? We’ve never actually filed a claim in the two years we’ve had our current phones, but I like having the loss and theft protection. However, I very much do not like the “we might use Temu parts and void your warranty lol” part of Asurion’s agreement.

Def Apple care.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Alright, I’ll cancel the ATT stuff and switch to AppleCare when we get our phones in. Thanks!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

You’ll have to call ATT and have them manually swap the SIMs. One time inconvenience and you should be good.

Ah, that sucks. Wish I could do it online. Oh well. Thank you!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Ah, that sucks. Wish I could do it online. Oh well. Thank you!

You might be able to swap them online, I just wouldn’t trust their website.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My preorder status in the app has been sitting at “We hit a snag - action required” but when I click through there’s nothing telling me I have to do any kind of action. The order status page I can get to by checking my order manually says the phones are just waiting on a shipping date. Is AT&T’s site just completely boned right now?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Mine says the same. I assume that's just a "we're holding your order til Thursday before we send it."

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

You might be able to swap them online, I just wouldn’t trust their website.

Looks like I actually can do it online and shockingly, it was super easy. It just asked what phone number I want to assign to IMEI on the new device. 5 minutes, done.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is it still around $13 to add a watch to a current ATT family plan?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

$10-15 most likely.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

smackfu posted:

It’s only $10/month! :v:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ugh. Seems like a scam to use the same phone number but still charge all the fees.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

Ugh. Seems like a scam to use the same phone number but still charge all the fees.

So obviously I’ve worked in wireless for years so I’m biased, but I will say I get the 911 fee. It makes calls, it has to fund 911. Same with certain local tax and fees.

Now, that said, huge addition of “BUT they don’t have to charge the bullshit $3+ admin fee that literally has no reason to be there other than make profit for the call company.”

So you’re not wrong , but wanted to add about half of it at least can make sense.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Regulatory Cost Recovery Surcharge. Booo.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

Regulatory Cost Recovery Surcharge. Booo.

Completely agree.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
53.8% fees. Ticketmaster take notes.

Anode
Dec 24, 2005

Nail me to my car and I'll tell you who you are
How does buying a a phone for a gift for someone on your family plan work, if you do it through their installment plan? Do they get notified that a new phone is on the way?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
edit: wrong thread

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 26, 2023

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Anode posted:

How does buying a a phone for a gift for someone on your family plan work, if you do it through their installment plan? Do they get notified that a new phone is on the way?

They def could, phone carriers are very aggressive on notifying users on purchases as an anti fraud prevention.

You may have done this, but my opinion, I would at least confirm with the person what phone, color, etc they want so it’s exactly what they want. Just fyi phones make not great surprise gifts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Anode posted:

Oh geeze this is a good reminder. I just bought the $5/month iPhone14 for my daughter. Good thing she was a knucklehead and we confiscated her 7 (shattered, of course) for the time being. I’ll have to check her messages even though the purchase ones did come to me (account owner).