Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Stumpalitious posted:

So I have been pricing out plans to see how much each carrier would cost me. I know my work makes me eligible for a 20% discount (or I was told that at a corporate store) but I just wanted to ask about the unlimited messaging thing. How much does each text message cost if I do not have unlimited messaging? Does it just count off my minutes or does it cost money directly? I just wanted to know since I don't do a lot of texting.

20 cents or something. And you're charged for incoming and outgoing. Just pay for texting unless you intend to only use Google voice or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Google Butt posted:

Is it reasonable to expect to see the galaxy s3's price to drop to free with an upgrade fairly soon?

Not at a COR store. Ever.

Hell, No Corporate store for any carrier would give that phone free ever. (S5 comes out. Maybe.)

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Duckman2008 posted:

-personal opinion: but the disclaimer is kind of unnecessary.

Disagree. He's covering reps rear end in case of stupid worst case scenario. Sprint cor training mentioned that exact disclaimer and told us to use it in times we were posting about anything opinion based towards the company. Mileage may very.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Duckman2008 posted:

It's probably because I got hired after my store got OPUS mobile, but I really like it. Portability to do stuff anywhere in store trumps the computers having more options and being slightly quicker.

To be bored out of your mind.

Ring out entire transactions via iPhone. Yes please. loving loved that. Opus mobile rules.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Beefstorm posted:

I have Telegence access. Should I?

You wont in a few days.

:)

Once you log in, And they realize it. Itll get shut down. By default the cor rep profile has access. But theres some auto policy if you dont have a second flag itll shut down the account. Happened to me. You can get access again later if they feel you need it. But you have desk monkies to gently caress with it. Just call support and make them jerk that piece of poo poo off. Use Opus, Its a billion times better for a POS system. Sure when theres a problem its nice to just fix it if you know how but christ theres so much little bullshit. Plus you need to know soc codes and all kinds of poo poo. Instead of just "click box" "apply feature" Done. And this is coming from someone who managed to keep it in a market that they didnt want ANY reps to have it. If you get good with it, Expect it to cut into your sales time. Use support.

Guess what im saying, Take a peek now, but dont get used to it. :)

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Beefstorm posted:

:( I've been checking it out for a couple days. That's upsetting. It seems so useful when you REALLY need it. Also, there are some reports about this company, that I feel like, I shouldn't have access to. Probably shouldn't say what they are for reasons of probably being fired for divulging them...but like, wow. Talk about details that we DON'T NEED.

I know right? Sprints totally the other way around, No access to poo poo. Cross your fingers on tele but honestly I havent seen a "new" employee keep it before. At least in MWR

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Duckman2008 posted:

You are correct, so if you are willing to pay the premium as long as you provide your own phone you will not have a contract.

Assuming the rep who does it remembers to drop down the 0 contract box and not lying about saying they cant do it.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Beefstorm posted:

Apparently you need a manager override to put a contract on Customer Owned Equipment. THats at least what I have learned in my training so far for COR stores.

Unless I had magic permissions you just change the contact length on the initial setup

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Duckman2008 posted:

The system errors out and insists that a contract is required for a FAN discount, especially on mobile opus.

I guess you're stuck removing and readding a fan then. If no fan is attached you should be able to do Zero contract

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Duckman2008 posted:

Correct, you either remove and readd the fan or fix it through an escalation after the fact.

Managers can still swap FANs right?

I guess my point is. Seems like someone at that store was lazy as gently caress.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

obeyasia posted:

Removing and re-adding FANs is fraud on some level according to someone I emailed about it. Ill see if I can dig up that email when I get back to work tomorrow.

It's not about fraud. Its about getting it done.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

obeyasia posted:

You just don't understand the pricing structure for the service you are paying for, that's all. The data bucket is $40 ($34.80 w/your discount) and then EVERY smart phone after that is $45 per line. Activations/Upgrades are $36 regardless. Good luck getting it waived. AT&T corporate just dropped a serious hammer on them and have reinforced to us retail heads that there is no waiving them.

Its like that at any Corp wireless now a days. Sprint did, and im sure the other big 2 are not letting that slide any more. I know I paid 36 for my last one, and that was a while ago.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Mattybee posted:

Oh so that's why you assholes call customer care to get poo poo done :argh:

(former retention rep here)

How long does it usually take to get back to people about interviews at a store? It's been like an actual month now and I still haven't heard anything either way. They'd been really good at keeping in contact with me....

Call.

And no. Retail AT&T reps have internal support now. gently caress calling care.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Sticky posted:

Oh man, do you know how long thats good for? And where I can find that info to give my manager?

htcchampions.com if I'm not mistaken?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Duckman2008 posted:

The rep will gladly use it towards a Bluetooth for you.

FYI I recommend the Blueant Q3, although it comes down to preference.

Always prefered my jawbones and plantronics personally. :)

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Duckman2008 posted:

Official limit is one per store transaction, mileage will vary based on the store rep.

Voyager Legend is pretty legit, although it has almost too many features.

Work gave everyone at my store the Motorola Elite, and it was pretty awful (for a BT priced at $129). No one could hear me, it has a proprietary charger and it just sucked. I'll eventually cave and get a Q3, but I have a love hate relationship with Bluetooth.

Love my elite for music and poo poo while working. Totally useless for anything else though. My voyager pro+ is still great even if it does look retarded.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

skipdogg posted:

Good for you. Look I've been involved in some way shape or form with U-Verse since late 2006.

Copper based U-Verse is delivered with an interleaved line which adds some latency to the connection, there is no way to turn it off.

Copper based ADSL lines usually had interleaving turned off, and a very common complaint with twitch gamers going from legacy ADSL to U-Verse is a 20+ms increase in ping times. At a minimum it will be about ~12 ms increase. There are years of complaints online from hardcore twitch gamers getting pissed off about this.

I have a U-Verse line here at my desk in fact. Here's an example.

If I ping a demo server hosted at gameservers.com dallas location using IP 173.199.103.160

Corporate Internet: 12MS ping
U-Verse: 30MS

Not a big deal, but I'm in Austin Texas, pinging Dallas. 30ms pings are awesome by any reasonable standard.

Let's try one in Chicago. 66.232.171.202

Corp: 36ms ping
U-Verse: 56ms ping.

New York: 66.55.142.64

Corp: 51ms
U-Verse: 66ms

15 to 20ms difference on the U-Verse line compared to a non interleaved line. Hardcore gamers can and do bitch about those 20ms, and they bitch loudly. Odds are the person asking isn't a hardcore twitch gamer and maybe I could have put a little more information into my post but there is a demonstrable, and somewhat noticeable difference for certain users.

Therefore if Mr. Onslaught is a 'hardcore twitch' gamer, he's probably going to be pissed about the extra lag.

Kids these days.

Guess "twitch" gamers Dont remember quake 3. Ya know. When having a sub 200-300 ping was awesome.

I'm sorry. But being a serious gamer. 15ms isn't going to piss me off. Maybe whiney xbox live brats might bitch but seriously. Sub 100 ping is good enough to top every map if you're actually the better player. I played quake 3 for years on anywhere from 300 to 35 ping. And sure 300 to 35 was a huge difference. But when I joined a server that I ended up at 80 with felt almost the same minus hitscan weapons and even then it took 1/2 a second to adjust if I even had to adjust. Most of the time it wouldn't matter unless the server itself was having problems keeping up. Guess what I'm saying is 15ms difference being a big deal to ANYONE is hyperbole.

Dude getting switched. Dont worry about it. My guess is you won't even notice.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Stick100 posted:

If you have 50ms ping to your favorite server for a couple years and someone "upgrades" you and you have 65ms pings you might get pissed. You would have every right.

I guess when I was 16. These days? Nope.

I understand. But no reasonable person could tell a difference. Its all mental at those small of changes. Hell depending on the game your ping could jump 15-30 simply from server traffic.

Like I get the whole higher ping is bad. But lord the whole 15ms poo poo is ridiculous.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

crutt posted:

Could I get a quote? 450 minutes, 5 gigs of data, unlimited messaging, and I am a union member. I appreciate the help.

CWA? Helps to know which union.

Unless shits changed.
39.99 = 450 min
20 = texting
50 = 5gb data.

You get your discount off the 39.99

Efb

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Duckman2008 posted:

All rumors are that they are going to move away from having opps as part of our commission and it will be replaced by more new line focused. A recent rumor is they night increase accy payout as well to balance it out, but that is def a rumor. Revenue in upgrades is rumored to still count at least.

This is for northeast ish area fyi, although I would imagine it would be leaning that way in many areas. The higher ups keep saying august.

So new lines and quality metrics just like sprint.

That will be nice. Our Att here we were 100 lines a month for goals. It was retarded.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Mr. Powers posted:

My experience with Sprint and the quality metrics was that we were informed by the customer rep how to answer all the questions properly. I'm not in the business, nor have I ever been in a job where the customer ultimately holds control of pay (tips, commission, etc), but it's a load of bullshit if the reps need to get unreasonably high scores, such that they coach customers on the proper answers. The guy was not very helpful and he did not get the answers he was looking for.

No like. Sprints all about accessory per handset like Att is now. And tablets. And air cards. And home phones. Plus cft.

So. Quality metrics. Upgrades are officially jack poo poo like Att was. Sprints slowly turning into Att

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

KingKapalone posted:

I'm curious why the OP says to avoid the 300MB plan so much. I'm a techy person living in San Francisco and I only use about 150MB a month. Sure I don't stream music or watch youtube on the bus, but it seems drastic to tell everyone to avoid it. My parents living in the midwest that spend time doing what 60 year olds do are never going to get close to 300MB.

Am I just not checking instagram enough when I'm away from a computer? I look up directions when I need to, find restaurants, check sports scores, etc.

Like I said, I will probably upgrade my data when I get a new phone soon so maybe it's just a matter of switching and realizing everything I've been missing, but it's sort of sickening how much everyone sits on their phones at all times here.

Because it's a joke.

The ladies brother is like that. He barely uses a gig every month. But he's also a nerd like you/me whatever. He actively tries to stay on WiFi. Normal people don't always think of that. Then overage is a mother gently caress on those small plans. Because its another 15 bucks for another block of data.

On the flip side. I Dont use WiFi at all. I do Google music and Facebook. Some light light tethering. I use 20+ gigs a month.

So long story short. It does work for some people but even my grandmother uses more than 300 megs a month and that's just keeping up on Facebook looking at pictures of her grandkids. Its not a fair priced plan at all.

Just checked. I'm at 9 gigs. I have until the 7th of next month in this cycle. I have not tethered this month. Its all Google music.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 12, 2013

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

KingKapalone posted:

See well that makes me worried that when I get a taste of the data, I'm going to destroy the 3GB plan, the 5GB plan or if we did a family share of 6 or 10GB I'd take it over.

It wasn't until I had lte my data skyrocketed. On 3g I sat on 1-2 gigs tops. But I also used more local music and things because 3g here was garbage. On hspa+ I suddenly hit 5 gigs. And lte it gets crazy.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

KingKapalone posted:

Just because it's faster so you can use more in the same amount of time? More convenient so you use it more? That's what I was thinking when I get a new phone.

Exactly. You tend you use it more because things happen drat near instantly instead of waiting 30-60 seconds for something like Facebook to load. Or endless YouTube buffering. And god forbid you want to watch it in HD because SD looks like total poo poo anymore.

So. you use it more because its not frustrating to use. And poo poo downloads faster so it just ends up using more data.

Keep your unlimited. You Dont need the overage and just tether like you are now .

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Duckman2008 posted:

I've hit 40 down multiple times around Philly. It's overall very good. ATT is very big on advertising that it's LTE is faster than big red, and I've been curious whether it's a network difference or just a different number of users on each network.

Depends on market. Verizon hits 50 here. Att in the same market peaks 25-30.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

KingKapalone posted:

I'm not the guy with unlimited. That's the other guy. I have the 200MB plan right now and my family is thinking of doing the mobile share.

My mistake. No avatars confuse me. :-(

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

So apparently the whole state of Minnesota was dark this morning, at least as far as voice calls go. Anecdotally Verizon and Tmobile were down as well in my immediate area.

Pretty retarded, I wonder how such a thing could happen?

Someone spilled beer on a server somewhere.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

bawfuls posted:

Can folks (particularly AT&T employees) share their experiences with blacklisted phones?

Do they tend to come back eventually, or just circulate on craigslist/ebay indefinitely?

An AT&T employee told me yesterday that even if you were to buy a second-hand phone legitimately, the original owner would still always be able to call in and have the phone blacklisted. Could this be avoided by doing the purchase/transfer at an AT&T store?

This whole blacklist setup just feels unhelpful on both ends. On the one hand, I had my phone stolen on a drunk night out (yes I'm dumb), and had it blacklisted soon after. But it sounds like the chances I ever get it back are slim. Meanwhile, I'd be willing to buy a used replacement, but there appears to be no way to protect myself against getting scammed.

Notes on both accounts about the sale can help. Just gotta get a rep willing to note the sale of the device.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

obeyasia posted:

Why are you buying second hand? To get a discount. Discounts mean making concessions in terms of quality or warranty. If you're scared shits not gonna be legit, the only way to be sure is to buy brand new.

No loving way would I note an account regarding the sale of a phone from one person to another. Go make a contract/bill of sale and have it notarized or lawyered or whatever.

Why wouldnt you? I did it all the time at AT&T and I do it all the time at sprint. I can promise you some of the dudes that would have otherwise would of reported it stolen the second they walked out of the store. People are shitheads, Rather protect good customers. Maybe its not 100% successful, But im sure it prevents some of that. You're gonna be the rep that calls and activates a soon to be stolen phone anyways, Or gives that customer a new sim or whatever the case may be. You might as well make sure it dont come back on you.

Only way to stop it is to prevent it. And you'll end up helping that customer anyways, Might as well try and sell some accessories for it.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, it's ATT exclusive so I doubt it would be worth it. May I recommend a Galaxy S4 with a lifeproof case (assuming they make those).

Well. You most likely won't see a lifeproof since otter bought them. You will most likely see the 99$ waterproof otter for it soon.

We got our demo for the s3. Its literally a brick. It makes the s3 BIGGER than a note in a defender. Its comedy like gently caress.

It does say its good for a 10+ foot drop though. And I honestly believe it.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 12, 2013

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Mighty Horse posted:

They don't. They still haven't released the S3 one they were working on.

Supposedly according to the reps I work with on both companies, they will both continue to exist with separate development. Just Otter will handle the distro.

The Otterbox Armor? Its a level even above the lifeproof. We had a customer run over his with an excavator, its fine. Those latches are a work of art.

Yeah the armor. It's nuts. But its solid as hell.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

GoodBee posted:

What happens when you put the SIM card from a dumb phone into a smartphone?

Does it not work at all? Can you make calls and send text but not access anything else unless you are on WiFi?

My brother and I are both on AT&T and he has a dumb phone. I had a Samsung Galaxy S and I recently upgraded to a Galaxy S3.

I honestly don't know why my brother has a dumb phone. He's also got an old iPod touch he carries around everywhere with him. He either connects with WiFi or uses apps that don't require internet access.

I understand not wanting to pay for a data plan if you don't need it but he's on our parents' family plan and he doesn't have to pay for any of it. Our parents probably wouldn't mine paying for his smart phone plan too.

I don't know what my parents are paying for their plan but now that I've read this thread, I take a quick look over their bill and see what's up.

Att will auto provision data. No idea which plan these days. But my guess is which ever is the small one.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Duckman2008 posted:

Not dumb enough to have awful on my cou!

Why not? Does your boss actually check your phone?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Duckman2008 posted:

Paranoid really. It's one of the lines that you set in your head. Honestly, since I got my iPhone back I have barely used my COU phone anyway. I like the Moto X, but the screen seems to be a deal beaker.

I always used my COU for battery intensive stuff. Our management never cared. Hell I used it for :catdrugs:

They cranking down pretty hard or something these days? Everyone I knew/know had left the wireless industry due to it turning into giant money grabs with poo poo goals.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Duckman2008 posted:

They're coming down pretty hard on goals and commission. I'll message you info so you can know how lucky you were to not be around for the transition.

And the COU is just one of those kings for me. I used to use it a lot more, but the new unsaid policy is if you go over the soft 5GB data cap they kill tethering on your phone. I lost mine months ago, so that's one less use of the phone for me (I have a personal plan with plenty of data at least).

Yeah I was there right when they started bitching about the 5 gig limit. I left shortly after but I never got hit myself. I also still had no purchase block. Not paying for apps and music was rad.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Cromlech posted:

I went to go get a new iPhone 5s yesterday at a retail shop using my brother's upgrade (family plan). Of course, they didn't have any in stock. The rep told me that despite being on a family plan, in order to order an iPhone from AT&T, I would need to use my personal upgrade that isn't up in a year and that my only option in regards to using my brother's upgrade would be when the 5s came back in stock at an AT&T store. That sounded really fishy, is that actually how it works?

Order phone online using brothers line.
Goto store.
Activate phone on brothers line while reminding the rep he's going to need to put the old equip back on.
Activate new phone on your line.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

obeyasia posted:

The "brothers" line new SIM can be deleted from the cart during the DF process to avoid it being activated and cutting off his line.

I'm blindly assuming the rep is not a moron.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

direspoon posted:

I'm thinking about doing this with a new 5S. The line I'd be upgrading with is an old flip phone with no data on it. Will getting that removed complicate the process at all?

Nope

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Krispy Kareem posted:

Well it's small claims so no lawyer necessary. I've already talked with AT&T's subpoena department so I know exactly who to sue so they get serviced properly.

I used to work for AT&T so you'd think I'd know someone who could help. I could send emails to Stephenson and de la Vega but since I'm no longer a wireless customer I kind of doubt it'd work. And anyway, suing might be fun. Although it means I definitely won't be getting my iPhone unlocked for another month at least.

Email whoever your VPGM is. If you worked wireless you shook there hand at some point unless your VPGM was a cock knob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

obeyasia posted:

Be prepared with an actual tax ID.

Unless its 5 lines then you can use your personal social.