Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Casual Yogurt posted:

Yea so here is my situation, I have an unlimited data plan that I've been using for a very long time. I want to get a new phone with LTE, which I will assume will require some change to my plan. What I want to do is just buy a new unlocked phone and cut my SIM card to nano size and use LTE but that probably won't work. I don't want to loose my unlimited data and I want as little change to my plan(& $$) as possible. I don't want to get "upgraded" into a shittier plan for more money. And if that is the only way to get a new phone with LTE than I'll probably stick with 3G until it becomes unbearable.

Yeah just go in and get a new SIM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

stoops posted:

i recently got a new phone for my mom out of pocket from amazon. she was on my family plan, from a regular phone to a smart phone. She doesnt use the internet but she wanted a touch screen.

Instead of me getting charged 15 for her basic phone, i'm now getting charged 40. is that correct?

Also, i have insurance on an iphone on a NEXT plan. The screen recently cracked; the phone still works. is it as easy as calling them up and getting shipped a new phone? How much would i have to pay?

I appreciate any help.

Assuming you're on the mobile share plans, $40 is the cost for a "on contract" phone. If you bought an unlocked or contract free phone that should be $15-$25, depending on how big your data bucket is.

The insurance deductibles are here: http://icds.portal.att.net/SmartControl/MI-MPPTieredDedEligibilitySchedule_April2_2015.pdf

Note the declining deductibles on the first page

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

So we're trying to get my mother in law a new phone (she's using an old hand me down iPhone 4). She's out of contract on my brother in laws AT&T family plan.

I don't want to jack up his bill with the next charges, are 2 years not a thing anymore?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Duckman2008 posted:

If they are on an old minutes plan they are still around. If they are on the new shared data plans (pretty likely) then basically no. The new plans she is getting a discount for bring her own phone. If she signs a two year, said discount goes away.

Basically, carriers switched to where you buy phones outright. Sucks, but the plans are cheaper as a result, so it does mostly balance out.

Unfortunately, iPhones are expensive, so now that shows through more. The cheapest iPhone is the 5C at $450, you can buy a phone outright through swappa or something, or you could buy a Moto G for $150ish outright. Those are probably examples of the best options.

Yeah, pretty sure my brother in law switched to shared data plans a while ago, dropping 299 on an new contract iPhone 64gb isn't so bad, but 750 is a big jump. She's pretty comfy with the iPhone, so I'll start shopping around for iPhones I guess :)

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 16, 2015

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

dexter6 posted:

So it looks like AT&T Next 12 for the iPhone I want is $37.50/mo. Or I can do the lease program from apple (which comes with Applecare+) for only $36.58/mo?

Either way I turn the phone in after 12 months and get a new phone?

What am I missing here?

AT&T Next 12 is a 20 installment plan, Apple one is a 24 installment plan, which is really more of a concern on the back end.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

dexter6 posted:

Do I keep paying the installments even after turning my phone in and getting a new one? I thought the point of the total number of payments is only if you want to keep your phone when the payments end?

No, but presumably at some point you may want a different phone or the program will end/change or something and you will need to deal with the remaining balance. At the end of a year with Next that means 8 payments, and with the Apple plan that means 12.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Jose Oquendo posted:

So ATT finally has wifi calling. If we have an iPhone running iOS 9 are we all set? No settings to turn on?

Under settings -> phone, turning wi-fi calling on will launch the configuration wizard thing.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Endless Mike posted:

Note that if you have a Mac and/or iPad, turning on wifi calling disables using them to make or receive calls. As much as I consider switching from T-Mobile to be a net positive, it *was* nice to be able to have both options available.

So this is something specific to AT&Ts implementation?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

BJPaskoff posted:

Got my girlfriend a Nexus 5x, and was all ready to install the new SIM card when I realized we needed a NANO SIM and the old one from her Galaxy S4 was the wrong size. So I called up one of the only AT&T stores open, who told us they could give us a new card, but it would be $25. When we got there, he told us it was $20, and asked if I could pay in cash, I guess because he already closed out the credit card machine or whatever. I only had $12 in my wallet, so he charged us $11 for the thing. My girlfriend hobbling in on crutches might have lowered the price, but is that normal? How much do those things normally cost?

He didn't set it up for us either, we had to call AT&T ourselves, which my girlfriend thought was weird but I thought was fine. Maybe he was just trying to close on time tonight.

Or you bought him dinner, who knows!

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

FunOne posted:

So long as my SIM card fits, is there any reason why I would ever need a new one? I mean, so long as it works we're good right?

Not sure what the technical reason is, but I've seen them go south, prevent LTE access, etc. Since they're free, not really any reason not to get a new one regularly (at least with every new phone).

EDIT:

Here's an example:

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB423895&cv=820

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

So if I have a micro SIM card and want to exchange it for a nano, I just walk into a corporate store? Can I be in and out in fifteen minutes?

Yes, depends how busy the store is

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

My mother in law (who is on our family plan) is going to Europe and I don't want to try and explain to her how swapping out SIM cards, etc. works. I assume this is just a matter of calling and adding one of the Passport plans before she leaves?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Mr. Powers posted:

What is the least expensive option for a non-smartphone? I'm adding a kid to my plan and I've only ever researched smartphones. I'm guessing it's probably something on Amazon, but I just want to make sure that ATT doesn't have some stellar deal where I can add a line and get a flip phone for $2 or something.

Just add a line and buy a gophone?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

dyne posted:

Question: I'm on my wife's family's plan, which has 2 smartphones on the 3gb/mo plan and 3 with unlimited data. All together we use 7-12 gb/mo and it would be cheaper to switch everything to a mobile share plan. Can the unlimited plans be dumped using the price hike to avoid the ETF, and those 3 lines rejoin the plan without losing the 3 phone numbers? Or would they have to port them out and then back in?

Unless something has drastically changed, just change the old family plan to a mobile share plan and you're good, no need to mess with anything else (that's all I did anyway).

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Can someone tell me why anyone who pays for their own individual phone service wouldn't use the GoPhone thing from AT&T instead of opening an AT&T account like normal? I'm looking at $55/mo for 2GB+talk/text with a regular account and $40/mo for 3GB+talk/text+unlimited throttled data after the 3GB with the GoPhone thing. I would be paying month-to-month either way, and both get rollover data, so...?

Is the service terrible compared to a normal account or something, I thought they used the exact same network? I fail to see the downside.

I was always under the impression that postpaid service got highest priority on the network vs the various prepaid services, but that could just be a myth.

There are other features (wifi calling, etc) that may be postpaid only.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Does AT&T blacklist/block/do anything to phones that don't finish their next payment plans or the person doesn't pay a contract on? I ask because the last couple phones I've bought on Swappa I've ended up having to return because they still had outstanding Next obligations on which I didn't want to deal with.

That got me wondering though, does that actually matter? Does AT&T care about the device, or just do the normal "gently caress the credit of the person that bought it" routine?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Duckman2008 posted:

If the customer leaves and doesn't pay say, the $400 remaining balance, yes ATT cares because then they basically eat it. Of course it's mitigated by getting written off, selling off debt, etc, but it's still never as good as getting paid.

Yeah, I agree 100%, I was mainly just curious what happens to the poor schlub who buys the device that the original owner didn't finish paying for on craigslist or ebay or whatever.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Mr_Angry posted:

I'm staying in a hotel (Extended Stay America) for up to two months while I start my new job and look for a place to buy. While my hotel has the basics the wireless internet sucks; the transfer speed is horrible and while I can put up with it for a few nights for two months I want Skype to actually work and my Xbox One to be able to play games.

I have an AT&T plan with my iPhone right now but with many devices that would want faster internet I'd be interested in a 4G modem and router combo with a monthly pay as you go option. Is such a thing available with AT&T? I am fine paying 100 dollars or more a month and figure I need 20-30 GB of data per month. Is a 4G modem the way to go?

No, you're gonna get hammered:

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/gophone-mobile-hotspot.html

Any other wireless ISP options in the area?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

So, new Mobile Share Advantage plans:

http://about.att.com/story/att_introduces_mobile_share_advantage.html

I'm not really seeing a downside to these, I'm on the 15GB plan now and for $10 less I can get another gig plus no more overage fees?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anyone know exactly what's up with free Canadian roaming? I see the option to enable Mexico in the AT&T app, but info on Canada online is pretty contradictory. I'm on a 3 line 15GB family share plan, am I eligible to get that?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

helsabot posted:

I just called in and asked for the 'Canada Roaming Bonus' and they knew what I was talking about. I'm on a pretty basic plan too, so I'm guessing they'll give it to you as long as the agent knows how to activate it.

Did you have to talk to retentions? I tried this earlier today and got shot down because I'm not a special flower on the unlimited plan.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Sorted, thanks for all the help!!

Only other suggestion is that it still might be nice to go get a new SIM if you pick up a new phone, I've seen problems with old SIMs and as long as you go a corporate store it's free.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Cromlech posted:

If I sold my current iPhone 6S and got an off-contract SE, I'd still have to pay a certain amount of monthly charges to "pay it off" right? No easy way around this?

I regret not getting an off contract SE. That phone's dead cheap and reliable for what it's worth.

Correct, unless you're cool screwing the person you're selling the iPhone 6s to and killing your AT&T service. Most sale places like Swappa, etc. require that there be no outstanding financial obligations on the phone, but in reality all that really does is prevent you from getting the phone unlocked.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

adorai posted:

Awesome, thanks. The moto g4 takes a micro instead of nano like the fire phone does, but Lenovo was nice enough to include the adapter tray.

Depending on how old the SIM card there is sometimes value in getting new ones assuming AT&T won't charge you for it.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

It’s been a while since I’ve been on Att, can you still just plop a postpaid SIM into a gophone/prepaid phone and use it as is?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

nwin posted:

I’ve been on the unlimited grandfathered plan for years now, but with T-Mobile’s $50 military plan, I think I’m going to make the switch. A few questions-I am not in a current contract:

1) think att would be willing to give me a similar deal if I threaten to cancel? I’m paying like 97 a month after my fan discount, so I doubt it.

2) I got my phone unlocked in December when I went overseas for a few weeks-is there any way to ensure it’s still unlocked?

3) do I need to cancel att first before I go to t mobile or after? I plan on keeping the same phone number if I can.

Porting your number cancels your services, although you’ll still get billed, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Have a friend looking to port her number out of the family plan she owns, is there still a concept of a “primary” line with AT&T and do we need to do anything to change that or will it just magically move to another line.

She is not doing a change of billing responsibility quite yet.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 1, 2021