Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

BizzaroprOn posted:

I current have a family share plan 700, unlimited text, and both phones are iphones with the grandfathered unlimited dataplan for both. Essentially, my wife and I got iphones and the data plans with them when the old iphone 3G's came out.

Question - we both want to move to the Samsung Galaxy III or IV depending on the price - will we loose our unlimited data plans if we switch phones? I plan to change nothing with the plans and texting.

Your plan will stay exactly the same. Go to a COR store

Beefstorm: new OP looks very good, few things to mention:
-unlimited texting gives unlimited mobile to any mobile. I didn't see that in there, and it's a kicker for some people. Basically, ATT voice plans have unlimited calling to other ATT numbers, but when you add on unlimited messaging either the individual or the family gets unlimited calling to any mobile phone (IE the minutes are just for landlines). Please note that the exception is the 550 minute family plan, you cannot get Any mobile to mobile calling on that plan.
-Corporate would be ashamed of you, no mention of Wireless Home phone. All people here really need to know is that most employees will give you the drat store to sell one of those things.
-Individual hotspot plan is $50 a month, and last I checked discounts do not apply to it.
-if you want a LTE iPad, you can get it $100 off with a two year contract. Not a great deal for everyone, but if you plan on using it over cellular every month, not bad. If you already have an ATT capable iPad ATT will offer the $100 as a credit on the bill with a two year contract.
-if you want a thing on digital life (home security), I can write it up next month. It's actually not bad monthly, just high cost to startup.
-personal opinion: but the disclaimer is kind of unnecessary.

Edit : and a synopsis of prepaid:
Prepaid plans are:
$0.10 a min
$2 a day for unlimited call and text. $0 on days that you use nothing.
$25 a month for 250 mins (no mobile to mobile) and unlimited texting.
$50 for unlimited call, text and data for feature phones.
$65 for unlimited call text and 1GB of 3G data for non-LTE smartphones

iPhones are not allowed on prepaid. Smartphones places on the $50 plan may be able to do call and text, but def not data. Smartphones will get 3G only, pretty sure they don't get H+. And if ATT coverage is weak in your area, FYI that roaming is NOT included on prepaid plans.

Putting $25 or more down will last you 90 days versus 30 days, putting down $100 last a full year. The $0.10 plan is great for mom who never turns on her phone.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EbolaIvory posted:

Disagree. He's covering reps rear end in case of stupid worst case scenario. Sprint cor training mentioned that exact disclaimer and told us to use it in times we were posting about anything opinion based towards the company. Mileage may very.

In reality official ATT policy if they found out actual names of posters on this thread would very likely just be termination. ATT hates social media and the Internet in any form, whether there is a disclaimer of any sort or not.

That being said, I can agree with what Beefstorm said in reply to my point. So leave it in.

I'll get something on digital life over the next few weeks.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

monkeybounce posted:

Two questions.

1. My company has an ATT discount, but I'm not the primary name on the account (it's a family share plan with my fiance). Will I still be able to get the discount?

2. I know you said activation fees aren't generally waived anymore, but is that for Wireless or for all services? I want to switch to UVerse, but UVerse and Comcast are the same price in my area. If I switch to UVerse, I'll have to pay a 199 activation fee...so why would I switch? Would this be a logical reason for trying to get the fee waived?

1. No. Must be in your name. You could transfer numbers to your name, $18 transfer fee unless you can get care to waive it (no idea if they would).

2. I couldn't answer this one.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Beefstorm I'm pretty sure you can't get a $30 plan for the mobile hotspot, it's either $50 for the individual or $20 on the mobile share.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

obeyasia posted:

Just wait till all the cool poo poo you could do with OPUS is missing when you get saddled with OPUS Mobile.

It's probably because I got hired after my store got OPUS mobile, but I really like it. Portability to do stuff anywhere in store trumps the computers having more options and being slightly quicker.

Beefstorm posted:

What should I expect in training?

To be bored out of your mind.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wagonburner posted:

Is there a way for AT&T to set a hard data limit on one smartphone of a regular family plan? So it can never go over? What about on the mobile share?

Something else, this may be fyi for people here using a FAN discount: (maybe everyone knew, I'd never seen it mentioned)

I have a traditional family plan with a FAN discount from work. I went to add a line today at a corp store, wanted to use an old phone I had so I just got a sim from them. The guy assured me it's no-contract and I could cancel any time, just a $36 activation and the monthly service after that.

I got home, looked at the printout they gave me and it showed that new line in the ETF section: 24 months and $325 etf. Called 611 they confirmed, it's contract, after a bit they got the contract cancelled based on the fact that guy at the store said there'd be none. The 611 lady said it happened because of the FAN, it's automatic 24 months for any new line even if you bring your own equip. Is that a normal thing? Normal for certain companies FAN discounts? Or did I almost get BS'ed/railroaded somewhere?

Edit: guy at the store is the same guy who just recently got us an upgrade 3 weeks early so I hope nothing bad comes on him cause of something it seems like he had no idea of. The 611 people did call the store.

I've run into the FAN contract issue before but he is correct that it should not be a contract. The two ways to get around it are to either remove the FAN and then re add it afterwards (too late for the rep to do that), or to file in the system t have the contract removed (also the rep that does this and he can).

I wouldn't panic, with a dispute and account research you can prove you weren't supposed to have a contract. Simplest fix is to get back, see the rep and have him file to have the contract removed.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

quadratic posted:

Thanks, I was under the impression that they were requiring 2-year contracts even on unsubsidized lines.

I must have edited right as you posted, but I need data (and LTE) for this line and it seems like you can't get that with their prepaid lines.

You are correct, so if you are willing to pay the premium as long as you provide your own phone you will not have a contract.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EbolaIvory posted:

Unless I had magic permissions you just change the contact length on the initial setup

The system errors out and insists that a contract is required for a FAN discount, especially on mobile opus.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EbolaIvory posted:

I guess you're stuck removing and readding a fan then. If no fan is attached you should be able to do Zero contract

Correct, you either remove and readd the fan or fix it through an escalation after the fact.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

^

Call customer service. Customer had error on bill.
CS: "We cant do anything about it."
Me: "But the charges aren't legit..."
CS: "Yeah that doesn't matter."

Call RAE. Charges gone in 5 minutes. That story I just said can be told a billion times with different customers. That's why I went to COR. Going the LONG rear end WAY around things is stupid. I just want to fix the customers problem and move on.

On that note, if you ever have problems with your bill, an AR is just going to call customer service for you. Save your gas and call. Or go to a COR store.

On a more awkward note, I was in training on Friday, annnnnnnnd my RAE walked in. :sweatdrop: He did NOT know I went to COR since I outright lied to my dealer about leaving for COR because of that whole non-compete clause. I talked to him afterwards and he said he wouldn't say anything. So I'm crossing my fingers.

You should still expect to have to call into care a decent bit. ATT claims that reps have the ability to on the spot fix customer issues with a credit, but its so locked down now you basically need approval from management, and my management team at least is really cautious with their credit budget, so having care fix an issue fixes the problem while still having a budget to credit for new lines or whatever else.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Hello.

My wife and I have a MOBILE SHARE 1GB plan with TWO smartphones. I would love to tell you what we are paying for this, but since we turned off uverse last week I have not been able to view our bill online. Maybe some day it will return LOL.

I am trying to add a third line, and eventually we may add an AT&T ipad. When I login at att.com and 'Add a line' -> 'Add a line – Mobile Share' -> Select iPhone 5 -> no accessories ->

at the Rate Plans screen I select "AT&T Mobile Share(R) with Unlimited Talk & Text" with a monthly charge of $0.00 listed. The next screen is for selecting 'Data Plans for iPhone'. I suppose I want to join a mobile share group? So I enter my mobile number...

Three plans are presented. The first is our current one 'AT&T Mobile Share(R) 1GB with Unlimited Talk & Text' for $34.80 (normally $40 but corp discount, ha). It says 2 of 10 lines in group. It is missing an 'Add to Cart' button. Huh? But it does have a selected radio button, and that is the only radio button.

There is a $45 option for 'AT&T Mobile Share(R) Personal for iPhone on 4G LTE (1)'. Is AT&T really charging more for data on an iphone just because it is an iphone? I feel dumb enough buying an iphone.

Some one please explain what I can do here.

edit: and if we upgrade a line to an iphone online we have to join it to a single-user data plan and then put it back in the share plan later? And there is a $30 upgrade fee :/.

Yeah, to add to this you should switch to the 4GB or 6GB mobile share plan. More economical with 3 smartphones and no point of having 4 devices on 1GB of data.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Powers posted:

New thread!

I got my first bill on the new shared plan and it seems I've been had. When I was at the store (official AT&T, not authorized reseller), I was asking about insurance because my girlfriend likes to literally burn money. The associate said she'd put the extra $3 package on at no charge for a month and then she'd take it off. Well, the extra $3 is on there, and not credited at all. I'm kind of annoyed about the $3.30 (1 month + prorated 3 days), since I didn't want it at all. Given that I have nothing in writing to back up the fact that she said I wouldn't be charged, and that the service has already been removed, is it even worth my time to try to get the $3.30 credit on principle?

Feel free to go back to hat specific person/store and ask for the credit, they likely would give it to you. The thing on promos like that is you have to reach back out to the store.

The pressure to sell that add on to insurance is crazy high at ATT right now, so while it kind of sucks to be hassled that way, just keep that in kind. At least it's only $3, usually the issue is way worse than that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

James Polk posted:

Sorry if this was asked already, but does AT&T undo your throttling once the new month starts?

Far as I know yes.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Of all phones, I was just given the HTC First as my work phone yesterday.

It's actually not bad and honestly is a pretty solid phone overall. It runs pretty smoothly (even with Facebook home), Facebook home is not half bad, and it's extremely easy to turn it off and just get stock Android. If all manufacturers made their skins that easy to turn off, I wouldn't have a problem with skins.

After launch weekend I'll be running stock on it and I expect it to work like a champ. It's weird having a smaller screen for android after years of larger screens, and it has the same obnoxious android issues like videos not formatting to the full screen, but not bad.

That being said, for most people the S4 and iPhone 5 are better phones overall, but for its price this one isn't bad.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

quadratic posted:

Do you have to extend your contract to add a FAN discount?

Yes.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Some Zero posted:

call AT&T and get an early upgrade or something along those lines.

I can't stress enough how much this just won't happen anymore. ATT (and all carriers) are cutting back entirely from flexing on bumping up upgrades or doing favors for current customers. It just won't happen*, and no they won't waive upgrade fees anymore either. And no there won't be an exception because you have been a customer for XX years.

*exception possibly being if you get a home phone in store or something.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SeaborneClink posted:

My last upgrade was 11/3/12 and my upgrade eligibility is 6/4/14 so 19 months. The other line on my account was upgraded 6/15/12and will be upgrade eligible 1/16/14, again 19 months.

Yeah, pretty much all ATT limes get upgrades 5 months before the end of the contract date currently, unless you don't pay your bill on time (a favorite of mine is when people are out of contract and the system says they aren't eligible for an upgrade due to payment history).

ATT can always follow Verizon's lead, so who knows if/when.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Google Butt posted:

I just unboxed my HTC One from AT&T and it's got a green stuck pixel. Any chance I can exchange it in store for a new one even though it's a web order?

I would call to make sure they will and that it is in stock. They should exchange it though.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skychrono posted:

Probably a really common question but I didn't see it in the last couple pages.

My HTC One comes in today. I got it under my wife's number on our family plan, but it's for me. We both have iPhone 4 phones right now - m with Unlimited, her with 2GB Data.

When the HTC One comes in the mail, can I just stick my microSIM in it? If I understand correctly an iPhone Unlimited Dataplan won't work on it and I'll have to go into the store to get things sorted out. Will they give me a hard time?

They won't unless you get a dick, and yeah it doesn't hurt to bring it in, get a new SIM and ensure it is working correctly. I think they come with the SIM though, so if so you can also just call care as well. And yes you will keep the same plan.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AppleCobbler posted:

why wouldn't he bring in his dick? :confused:

Ha wrong phrasing on my part there.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fats posted:

Is there some way to audit data usage, or at least see when and where it's being used? I'm apparently approaching 5 GB used for the month... but I'm on wifi and home, and on campus, and at work. My usage hasn't changed much in the last few months, but suddenly a lot of data is going somewhere. The iPhone's usage meter isn't super useful, in this case.

*3282# call from the dial pad. Should text you your data usage.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sticky posted:

Yea, no more dummy imei's. From the sounds of things either too many "turns out its not connectable" situations or people just deciding to inflate their tablet numbers.

While it's likely to be the latter, where did you hear no more dummy IMEIs? And how would ATT handle getting some phones active other wise?

Example: you put the IMEI of a Nexus 4 in the system and it only provisions for 3G feature phones (last I checked). Put random android HSPA+ or LTE IMEI and it works like a charm (for H+ only of course).

Or am I reading what you are saying wrong?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sticky posted:

Check fast facts, its nestled away in there, I expect to hear more about it in the coming weeks. From what I've heard a customer will have to have the device with them and you'll have to use that IMEI. Not sure how that'll work for someone who wants to put an iphone on prepaid or something like that. Also I've only done/seen a few Nexus 4s but from what I can tell they activate right to H+.

Do what i do when someone wants to do that, sell them a home phone and have management bump their upgrade up (obviously only do that if management is willing to back you).

I do agree though, that for the most part people really need to just suck it up and do the early upgrade option, its honestly not even the worst pricing, specifically for iphones.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
For ATT reps, in case you didn't know (I didn't until yesterday ) HTC is offering the One at $249 for employees, plus a trade in of up to $249 back depending on the phone. Good deal even with out the trade in, the terms say it has to stay on your personal line for 60 days although arguably they can't track it or won't track it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

obeyasia posted:

Do I gots to have an ERP or EMO for this? Can I do this on COU?

Well, it would be your own equipment, AT&T policy is you cannot put any personally owned equipment on your COU, so that one would be a call for your manager (I personally would not put any equipment I owned on my work account).

That being said, read through the terms and conditions at htcchampions.com, there is no where in the conditions where they say they will charge you back the cost of the phone if you don't follow the 60 days. And since it isn't through AT&T and they don't have your social, i'm not sure how they would enforce it anyway.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EbolaIvory posted:

htcchampions.com if I'm not mistaken?

This is correct. Good while supplies last.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Devo posted:

I just upgraded my ~2.5 year old HTC Surround to a Lumia 920. I also have some lovely Samsung brick phone on my family plan that I was using for a home phone. I was hoping to throw the Samsung in a lake and use the HTC as my home phone but the rep at the AT&T store said that wasn't possible without putting a data plan on it. Since I'm not on contract is there any way I can get around this or is my HTC a glorified Zune HD now?

Smartphones require data regardless of age, so unfortunately no.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

thebushcommander posted:

What are the odds At&t would allow me to get a fully discounted upgrade 4 months early? Right now I have an early iphone discount which is worthless to me and not much of a discount anyway, but I'd like to move back to an LTE phone (Probably HTC One or S4) in the next month or so. I'd purchased an Original Note on contract over a year ago and then sold it to continue using a Galaxy Nexus. I really just don't want to pay off contract pricing from At&t. I've had service with them for 10 years too. My friends on Sprint and VZ seems to get some type of loyalty discount crap if they've had the contract long enough and are in good bill standing.

Zero, zilch, nada. Feel free to try and get care to do it, but it is almost def a no, and given that a verizon and sprint killed all their loyalty discount crap you unfortunately have no standing ground. FYI with ATT you already get upgrades 5 months before the contract is up, so they really will not bump it further. And length of time with a wireless company pretty much means nothing.

if care can do it do not go into a corp store because they still won't do it, so if phone support actually gives you am offer order from them.

Now if you want to buy a home phone tablet or mifi, a store manager might take exception. But I would assume that isn't the case.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

quadratic posted:

No chance that I can get my iPhone 5 unlocked by AT&T, right? I'm traveling internationally next month and I'd like to be able to swap SIMs. I'm only ~7 months into my contract.

Never hurts to call and ask, but official policy is no.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sobriquet posted:

Is there any way to swap my AT&T number with my Google Voice number without breaking my AT&T contract? Would it be easier to do between upgrades or something? I have another 1.5 years on my contract, I think.

You would very likely have to break your contract, AT&T can change your number but I don't know if they would both change your number and let you port out the old one. Call care and ask, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I ported from Sprint to google voice 2 months back. Google says it takes 24 hours to process over, and it was pretty much 24 hours on the dot.

Depending on your phone and ETF, you could port to google voice to cancel, sell current phone and just re add a new number with random new phone number. If you want it with the same account you have now you would likely have to add the line first. If not, you could just start a new account.

Once you are out of contract, what I just wrote above would work fine just there would be no ETF.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

goku chewbacca posted:

I was very satisfied using Sprint Google Voice integration since it became available, where your Sprint number is shared and becomes your Google Voice number. Then, I ported my # to Google Voice to close my Sprint account. It was very unreliable, and Google provides zero support other than their FAQ. MMS doesn't work. Calls would go to voicemail after 1 or 2 rings (though the caller would hear 4-5), or none at all. Outgoing calls and texts would occasionally come from my "invisible" number rather than my GVoice number. And the iOS GVoice app is terrible.

Porting in took a little more than 24 hours--longer than mobile phone porting usually takes. Porting out takes 3-5 days, and the backend company that holds your GVoice number sometimes rejects the port request.

I didn't have to pay the $3 to port it back out, fortunately. I've been in touch with Google Wallet/Checkout to try and contact Google Voice to demand a refund of the $20 port fee. Even Wallet support didn't have a phone or email contact info for Voice.

I would def agree that google voice does has issues and definitely has terrible customer support, but weirdly enough for me I have yet to have a real issue with it. I've used it on Tmobile, Sprint (both as a sprint number and as a google voice number) and AT&T. Beyond lack of MMS (or even notification that someone tried to send me a drat MMS) I don't have a complaint yet. I would say on AT&T its easier to just use their voicemail vs forwarding to google voicemail, so rear end that to the complaints.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

Should I include Aio wireless now in the thread? It seems like AT&T is trying to make it completely separate from them. So I feel like no. But I just wanted your guys opinions.

No, especially because they won't be in ATT stores.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
To anyone on AT&T, the current trade in promo is really good. Most old smartphones that get a small trade in get rounded up to $100. So the 3GS would normally have a $30 trade in, but ATT will give you $100 for it. The craziest one so far is a HTC Hero trades for $2 but it gets rounded to $98.

So stop by a corp store with your old phones, you can trade it towards anything in store or a bill credit.

Even the original iPhone and iPhone 3G seem to qualify.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 13, 2013

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

skipdogg posted:

How does this work? I can take an old iPhone and walk out with a 100 dollar gift card, or use it to swap for a nice BT headset?

The rep will gladly use it towards a Bluetooth for you.

FYI I recommend the Blueant Q3, although it comes down to preference.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rent posted:

Is there any limit on how many per store? I see 5 per account online. I have a few old phones I'd like to do and rather not drive all over town

Official limit is one per store transaction, mileage will vary based on the store rep.

EbolaIvory posted:

Always prefered my jawbones and plantronics personally. :)

Voyager Legend is pretty legit, although it has almost too many features.

Work gave everyone at my store the Motorola Elite, and it was pretty awful (for a BT priced at $129). No one could hear me, it has a proprietary charger and it just sucked. I'll eventually cave and get a Q3, but I have a love hate relationship with Bluetooth.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 15, 2013

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

diremonk posted:

I currently have an discount from my employer, but we are in the process of being sold to another company. Is is possible to check to see if the new company offers an equal discount? What ends up happening when the transition is complete?

Current company: Fisher Communications
New company: Sinclair Broadcasting

Or should I just skip over the employee discount and see if I can get one through my union? I'm a member of International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW Local 45).

Yeah just go into a store and check. I'll try and check tomorrow if I remember.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

adorai posted:

You seem to be implying that anything below 50ms is good. Pulling off a deagle headshot is a lot easier with 25ms than 50ms.

Nobody gives a poo poo. Deal with it, or switch providers, or whatever.

Edit: speaking of things no one cares about, a warning to reps: the home security stuff is off to an extremely slow sales start. Sales are bad to say the least. I've gone to just stuffing a flyer in the bag and leaving it at that.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 13:04 on May 18, 2013

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

Although Digital Life is very cool, who the gently caress thinks, "I need a security system. AT&T seems like the way to go!" That and no one is going to spend nearly a grand for a system that's worth it.

Basically this. They haven't advertised it a at all either.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

crutt posted:

Could I get a quote? 450 minutes, 5 gigs of data, unlimited messaging, and I am a union member. I appreciate the help.

$40 for voice
$20 for texting
$50 for data
Total: $110

Alternative:
4GB mobile share: unlimited call and text.
$70 for base, $40 for line, $110 total.

Discount goes off the base, so either the $40 or the $70. Both include tethering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KingKapalone posted:

I was looking at completed auctions for iPhone 5s and they were around $600. I was also amazed to see that I could sell my iPhone 4 for ~$200, leaving the S4 to be $50 if all goes to plan.

What I need to do something with a SIM card?

Any ATT corp store will always activate a free SIM card for your account provided you are listed as an authorized user and you have a state ID (it is staggering how many people don't have any ID on them).