Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

MH Knights posted:

I got this recently as well. They are even making me listen to a voice message when I call someone. What number did you call? My phone, Nokia Lumia 520, has a 4G symbol next to the reception bars so I assume it should be good.

Also, I got a text saying that AT&T was forcing an arbitration agreement on me as part of me service agreement? Is this for real? I was forced to sign an arbitration agreement to keep my job so I know what complete and utterly vile bullshit they are.

drat you still have a Lumia 520. That phone came out like, 8 years ago. Both impressed , and honestly; upgrade, you deserve a better phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GhostOfTomNook posted:

Is AT&T First Net better than regular AT&T service? I can join my sister’s First Net plan, but I’m not impressed with the speed on AT&T, especially compared to T-Mobile.

Edit: I’m using AT&T service on a RedPocket sim.

I don’t work at ATT anymore to tell you, but I would say red pocket would have slower speeds than normal ATT, and first net probably has priority access, so possibly faster when the network is busy / congested, same speeds in normal times.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cabbages and Kings posted:

It's a bad list, AT&T is a bad company, but almost certainly not any worse than any other American national telco.

I am just here to say that while yes, it is a low bar, ATT is absolutely the worst American Telco company. Horrible to their customers and horrible to their employees.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Boywhiz88 posted:

Does this thread have an AT&T rep the same way that the Verizon thread does?

I need to get a line off our corporate account but it needs an account to transfer to, but I'm looking for a new account for the user. So it's a chicken+egg kind of thing.

No, because ATT treats employees like crap so we all eventually switched companies. It was me 8 years ago however!

The question is actually pretty straight forward , you call bus support, release the number , they call said person and move it over.

When they talk to the person and move it over, that’s when the account is created. You can’t have an active account on any carrier without an active line, so there isn’t any “person calls in to create base account, then number is moved over” stuff. Account is created at time of transfer.

It’ll be like , an hour long process. The term you give them is assumption of liability / transferring number from bus account to personal account.

Also, and goes without saying, but gently caress ATT (happy to help people here when I can though!).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Need a new SIM because a kid lost theirs. Drive 20 mins to the ATT store. "Yeah, you're gonna have to call customer service for that. There's a current promo on this line so we can't do any equipment changes." :sigh:

When I got home, I called and within 5 mins the order is placed for a new one. Expected delivery date Jan 12 :argh:

Wtf? Was this at a company store.

As you can see above, I don’t work for ATT and don’t like them. But I don’t get that. A. SIMs were always free in the stores, B. There’s a chip shortage, but SIM cards are def not affected lol , and C. Even if a store rep wanted to get something commission based, it’s way easier to just quick activate the SIM than say no, go gently caress your self.

Like, I don’t get this at all. Except , as always.

Duckman2008 posted:

gently caress ATT

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Charles posted:

Did you work for AT&T or for one of their sub-contractors? I think it was Prime I heard some horrible things on

I worked for corporate ATT in phone retail for 2 years 10 months. 2 years as a rep, 10 months as an assistant manager.

The reason I still know the exact time length is that it got so bad I left for the red company at 2 years 10 months, 2 months before I was vested. I left $7k on the table to leave that company, and it was absolutely the best decision I made.

I can’t say it enough, gently caress ATT.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Untagged posted:

Is anyone familiar with what happens if you pay off a phone early when receiving the bill credits for a trade in? As in you trade in an old phone and receive a new phone "for free", which in reality is placed in say +$20 bill installments for so many months - which are then immediately offset by your trade -$20 for so many months. If you pay it off early, do you still get the -$20 reduction for the remaining months.

It’ll almost def drop the promo so don’t do this.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm trying to help my parents switch wireless providers and in our area ATT is one of the better options based on coverage. On their website for the cheapest unlimited plan it says that you can get throttled if the network is busy. Is that just a CYA thing or is it normal to expect the data speeds to get throttled?

If it’s like what all 3 do, it means if they’re on a busy tower they’ll see slower speeds. Think rush hour, sporting event , live event , etc.

Honestly, most customers I sell to I don’t think notice. I would make sure they are aware of it, worst case they can always raise their plan.

Note: data only, phone calls not affected.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

loving Moron posted:

I just received a call out of the blue from my old man. Apparently he went into an AT&T store with my older brother, ordered two phones, and are now being charged for three phones and three lines.

This all is due to the fact that there was a new guy on the first day they went in who was not able to complete the order. They came back the next day and another employee set them up and started over from scratch.

My father and brother have said that the reps have even admitted they messed up but are unable to correct the issue. My father has been to multiple stores and has made call after call but he keeps getting the runaround.

Now he is asking me to go with him to the store and begging for me to magically fix all this.

Anyone want to clue me into the hell I am about to dip my toe into?

Find the CEO’s email and have him email a complaint.

Otherwise I would recommend sitting down with your dad, logging into the ATT account to see wtf happened , then it’s call customer care and basically file a dispute that they never got a 3rd phone. If they weren’t given an extra phone , then obviously they shouldn’t be charged for it.

If they were given an extra phone, then they have to return it. It’s holiday return period it should still be returnable.

The Dave posted:

Retail associates are usually at the lower end of permissions / access because there’s a flawed belief that their time should always be on closing a sale.

It’s even worse than that with ATT. Every ATT store is 100% unionized. The only thing that ATT hates more than it’s customers is its retail employees.

Not a negative statement against unions, just that employment at most ATT stores is an extremely toxic environment.

And yes, retail employees for all 3 have basically no power for credits. That wouldn’t be profitable and we can’t have that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Do new iPhones from ATT come with an eSIM or are they still on a physical SIM?

I bought a new 15 Pro on my sons line, and I want to SIM swap so I get the phone and he gets my current one. Is this possible with eSIM?

iPhones no longer have a slot for a physical SIM card.

You’ll have to call ATT and have them manually swap the SIMs. One time inconvenience and you should be good.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Just ordered some iPhones 15 for my wife and me. Where do people stand on the AT&T protection plan vs. AppleCare? We’ve never actually filed a claim in the two years we’ve had our current phones, but I like having the loss and theft protection. However, I very much do not like the “we might use Temu parts and void your warranty lol” part of Asurion’s agreement.

Def Apple care.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ah, that sucks. Wish I could do it online. Oh well. Thank you!

You might be able to swap them online, I just wouldn’t trust their website.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

Is it still around $13 to add a watch to a current ATT family plan?

$10-15 most likely.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

Ugh. Seems like a scam to use the same phone number but still charge all the fees.

So obviously I’ve worked in wireless for years so I’m biased, but I will say I get the 911 fee. It makes calls, it has to fund 911. Same with certain local tax and fees.

Now, that said, huge addition of “BUT they don’t have to charge the bullshit $3+ admin fee that literally has no reason to be there other than make profit for the call company.”

So you’re not wrong , but wanted to add about half of it at least can make sense.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

Regulatory Cost Recovery Surcharge. Booo.

Completely agree.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Anode posted:

How does buying a a phone for a gift for someone on your family plan work, if you do it through their installment plan? Do they get notified that a new phone is on the way?

They def could, phone carriers are very aggressive on notifying users on purchases as an anti fraud prevention.

You may have done this, but my opinion, I would at least confirm with the person what phone, color, etc they want so it’s exactly what they want. Just fyi phones make not great surprise gifts.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

Is there a way to force my stupid Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra (Not subsidy locked to my knowledge) to tether? I foolishly upgraded my my OG unlimited data plan to the new cheapest 5G unlimited data plan and now I can't tether anymore. It's obviously the phone asking permission from ATT.

Does your plan include tethering (I don’t know ATT’s plans) ? Some of the cheaper carrier plans legit don’t include tethering, and if so the answer is upgrade your plan.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

Oh it absolutely doesn't, but neither did my previous plan. I was hoping there was a dumb android app way. Otherwise - do you have to use a non-att firmware?

No idea other than they’re way better at blocking it on the newer plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Peteyfoot posted:

How is dealing with AT&T as a customer? I'm considering switching to them since my home is in a coverage dead zone for my current carrier. I'm assuming all the big telco companies are equally awful, but just want to make sure AT&T isn't particularly egregious.

I mean, they all suck. My opinion is ATT is the worse of them, but disclaimer I worked for them and they’re awful to work for. That said, yeah they aren’t great at customer service.

That said, the whole point of having cell service ….is it working, so if it’s that or a dead zone, can’t blame you.

Worst case scenario is you switch away if you aren’t happy or when any contract is over.