Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Chemmy posted:

Non-compete clauses are made up of two general parts:

1. Protection of trade secrets: you can't go to your new job and tell them everything you know about your old job.
2. Non-compete agreement: the part that says you can't work for a competitor for a certain amount of time.

Part 2 is normally incredibly restrictive and it's not in anyone's best interest for you to be unable to work somewhere. In labor courts #2 gets thrown out a lot.

Or more generally: you work at a cellphone store not a top secret lab you're not going to get sued for switching jobs.

Further more, did you you actually sign a non-compete at your old place of employment and if so, are non-competes legally enforceable in your state? I did not sign one at my NR job, and just switched to another NR, who only said that I could not be employed still when I started at the new place because of conflict of interest, but non-completes are not legally enforceable in my state, YMMV. :yotj:

Beefstorm: This is a good post (your OP.) :hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

goku chewbacca posted:

Is AT&T still giving the primary line upgrades earlier than 20 months based on some arbitrary combination of plan cost, customer loyalty, and planetary alignment? Or did they follow Verizon's lead and kill that promotion as well?

My last upgrade was 11/3/12 and my upgrade eligibility is 6/4/14 so 19 months. The other line on my account was upgraded 6/15/12and will be upgrade eligible 1/16/14, again 19 months.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Nask26 posted:

Wife and I currently have Gs3's were about a year into our contract, We are considering picking up HTC one's or possibly Gs4. We thought about adding 2 extra lines in the next month or so and that should allow us to upgrade each year right? Is there a better way to go if we don't want to pay full price for the phones? We have unlimited data and a really nice corp discount so we have no intentions of going to another service. If we add 2 lines that should only increase our family plan 20$?

Plus tax, correct. You'll also want to pick up two feature/dumb phones so you can register those imei's for the 'extra' lines in order to remove the required data features that go along with that process. Not sure if care is still willing/able to provide dummy imei's to do that for you. You could probably find two flip phones for $10/ea at target/best buy/craigslist.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Sticky posted:

Check fast facts, its nestled away in there, I expect to hear more about it in the coming weeks. From what I've heard a customer will have to have the device with them and you'll have to use that IMEI. Not sure how that'll work for someone who wants to put an iphone on prepaid or something like that. Also I've only done/seen a few Nexus 4s but from what I can tell they activate right to H+.

My N4 activated just fine back in November. It shows as a generic phone (Nokia image) on my online page, but it works just fine with HSPA+.

@Duckman Used to be that you could call and say 'hurr I don't have an imei.' and care would say "oh don't worry sir, I will provide one for your account" and they would just use 111111111111111111 in order to provision the SIM card. My point was that I believe they stopped being able to do that, some time around when they rolled out the hspa+ feature code. The old 'smartphone & web' feature used to work fine for any smartphone that wasn't a BB.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Don Lapre posted:

I've read google voice has a pretty good delay with number porting.
So people put int he request with google voice then immediately change their phone number and google voice still grabs the old number.

I wouldn't recommend this. Care may be able to reactivate your line with a different number after you port out, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. Just make sure your account is notated, and bear in mind that if what you're trying to do doesn't work out, worst case scenario is that you're on the hook for the ETF, or you end up eating the $20 port charge that Google bills you for and have to reactivate your number on AT&T.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Also willing to bet that you did not perform a factory reset after GB->JB

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Duckman2008 posted:

So stop by a corp store with your old phones, you can trade it towards anything in store or a bill credit.

Does this have to be done concurrently with an upgrade or can I just get myself some bill credits? You know how working in wireless goes, the cellphones just seem to pile up :ninja:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

KingKapalone posted:

I'm thinking about buying the Galaxy S4 from Google and using that on AT&T. My plan would be to use my upgrade to get an iPhone 5 and sell it new in box on eBay and then activate the S4. Would there be any issue regarding AT&T thinking I have an iPhone 5? I noticed that the data plan also mentions iPhone in the name, so I'm not sure if there is any problem there.

No, the data plan would be switched from the iPhone (with VVM) to android (without VVM) automatically.

Also double check the aftermarket prices on iPhone 5's vs S4 just to be sure. I didn't think iphones were worth all that much anymore, even BNIB. You might be able to get more for an AT&T S4 and buy the unlocked one after that.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Duckman2008 posted:

Any ATT corp store will always activate a free SIM card for your account provided you are listed as an authorized user and you have a state ID (it is staggering how many people don't have any ID on them).

and they all drive to the store :smith:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Sieg posted:

Edit: Several people have already used this to be able to get out of their contracts with no ETF.

Several people from where? The administrative fee is actually exempt from ETF waviers as it is considered a "below the line" fee. There are actually provisions in the contract that explicitly say "we are able to increase the amount of administrative without prior notice.

What I'm trying to say is, don't expect to get out of your contract because contractually you shouldn't be able to, by the terms; I'm not saying that I agree with it.

"AT&T Wireless Service Agreement Sec. 1.3 posted:

We may change any terms, conditions, rates, fees, expenses, or charges regarding your Services at any time. We will provide you with notice of material changes (other than changes to governmental fees, proportional charges for governmental mandates, roaming rates or administrative charges) either in your monthly bill or separately. You understand and agree that State and Federal Universal Service Fees and other governmentally imposed fees, whether or not assessed directly upon you, may be increased based upon the government's or our calculations.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 24, 2013

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
AT&T has not yet followed Verizon in forcing people off unlimited when they upgrade, although I would expect it to happen within the next 12 months. You'll be fine.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Ugh wireless. I'm all for metrics counting toward final payout, but an op should be an op, count an act as 2pt and an up as 1; I don't care. But if you have an op goal a FUG should be the same as a SUG at least if you're counting points. Obviously there would be a commission difference.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Cromlech posted:

So if I got my Lumia 920 in November, had to exchange it for a busted hardware mic in March, and shattered the screen like a jackass last Saturday (luckily the Digitizer still works), there's no way to get a free exchange for it right?
No

Cromlech posted:

Any options? I'm willing to pay a little since it was my mistake this time, but if I have to pay like 100-200 I'm just going to have this ugly rear end cracked screen for the next year and a half.
Buy on craigslist/ebay/deal with it

Cromlech posted:

Or maybe when the new iPhone comes out in Fall I can be like "wah i dont like WP anymore please give me another sale before my contract expires in a year" and totally abandon the platform. Although that's a last resort thing because this screen shatter is drat UGLY.
They probably won't care, sorry. Best case scenario they offer you an iPhone early "upgrade" which is $200 off retail. So you'd pay somewhere in the neighborhood of $400+$36 activation fee+tax

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Ozmodiar posted:

Current changes at AT&T?

restructuring (again), Leap Wireless buyout that sorta stuff.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Maneki Neko posted:

Is that a perpetual '12 month' upgrade cycle as long as you stick with AT&T?

Yes, provided 1) the device isn't damaged 2) you trade the device in.

Verizon is also apparently piloting a program like this, due to launch 8/25

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

myron cope posted:

My question: is it possible to get the data plan off at all? I'm thinking no, but INSANE FIL is insisting it's possible. "It doesn't say on the box" that it requires a data plan.

Was it this phone (Huawei U8665)? I'm willing to bet that it is.

If it's an Android phone, there's no chance he will be able to get it removed. You could always give AT&T a different IMEI, but the system will eventually auto-detect the [correct] IMEI and place the data plan back on.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I tried to explain I was definitely in the UK and not just inside some theoretical US border with the UK, but oh well. :p

The Virgin Islands called, just to remind you they aren't theoretical and actually exist at $2.50/min :smugbert:

But seriously, glad you got it resolved painlessly!

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

nwin posted:

I'm looking at Moving to the galaxy, she's going to stay with iPhone. Would we lose out unlimited data if we did this?
No, not at this point in time.

nwin posted:

Second-do we need unlimited data? We don't go out much, so most evenings were at home on wifi anyways. At work, I just use the awful app, email, Facebook, and browser.
If you can answer yes to any of the following questions, then the answer that follows is "Probably, yes."
  1. Do you watch more than one Netflix movie a month on your phone?
  2. Do you stream more than 3 hours of Pandora/Slacker/Last.fm/etc per day on your phone?
  3. Do you use your phone as a primary internet source for your House/tablet/laptop?
  4. Can you fastball a phone right into your mouth while palming a basketball?
  5. Do you regularly use a video chat program (Skype/Google+/etc)?
  6. Do you currently, or have you ever owned a pair of jorts or a cardboard cutout of a phone you wish to purchase?

nwin posted:

My wife mainly uses pandora while driving, and not sure how much that effects the data.
Here's some anecdotal evidence, yay!

I listen to Pandora ~2hr/day 5-6 days a week while working out at the gym, because I'm a lazy scrub that doesn't want to download music, upload to my Play Music account and pin it locally and/or sync my music library to my phone. Why? Because I don't know I'm really lazy. I'm also getting super tired of the same 25 songs on Pandora while working out.

nwin posted:

With that info-do we really need unlimited? I guess I should look at our account online and see if there's a way to see how much data we use each month?
You're honestly really the only person that can 100% answer this question for yourself. I would:

A) Suggest you download the myAT&T App on your phone and check your data usage for the last month. It will give you pretty thermometer bars, like this!

B) If you want a more complete picture comb through your last few months of bills (they're online.) They're pretty boring..

I'll leave you with some advice that I from time to time bestow on customers that understand the following logic.

If you're asking "Do I need unlimited data?" The answer 9/10 times is "No."
Sure it's nice to have, but if switching to another plan would save you money, do that. $n*24mo can add up.

And yes, there is a discrepancy between Android reported usage and AT&T reported usage because I had to factory reset my phone around Jul 7th-10th, which is why you should always go by the online/myAT&T reported usage, even if they've been caught inflating reported data usage before :ssh: :argh:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Litmus Test posted:

I'm in a similar situation: I'm on my parents AT&T Family Plan and we have 5 or 6 iPhones on it. I'm switching to a Nexus 4 & am going to use my iPhone 4's sim on it - will I need to drop off the grandfathered unlimited iPhone plan the rest of my family is on and go to a non-iPhone plan? I've disabled iMessages on my iPhone / sim and am under the impression I won't need to drop off it.

This question is answered in the OP. Yes it's a long OP and it's near the bottom in the FAQ section. (And also on every other page if not every)

Beefstorm posted:

I want to upgrade, but I don't want to lose unlimited data. Help!
Unlike Verizon, you are not required to give up unlimited data when you upgrade. But just make sure you ask to keep it. Also, at least hear the reps out when they offer you something like a mobile share plan without unlimited data. We don't tell you to get rid of it unless you truly don't need it.
So here's the long and short of the situation. AT&T at the time of this post is not expiring unlimited data plans when upgrading devices. Will this probably change at some point in the future? Probably. But for right now, by upgrading you're securing it for another 24 months. Nobody knows whether that policy will still be the same when it's new phone time for you again.

Here are the ways you can currently lose your unlimited data:
  1. Leave AT&T for another service provider*
  2. Flagged as a top 5% data user for multiple months (this is an automated feature migration)
  3. Ask to be moved to a different data plan. (This includes Mobile Share)
  4. A rep inadvertently moves you to a tiered plan. (Everyone makes mistakes from time to time. This is recoverable, it may just take some time to get fixed)
*I'm not sure if you would be able to get your unlimited back if you port out, but vhange your mind and end up reactivating within 14 days or not.

As for your other question, the technical explanation is, "Yes, because phones are complicated and fickle creatures at times if a line isn't provisioned with the correct feature code for data, there is a good chance that things like data, visual voicemail and MMS won't work. This is why you can't just SIM swap between LTE phone and an HSPA/HSPA+ phone. Your line would be re-provisoned with the correct feature according to the IMEI you provide them."

AT&T has something absurd like 10+ feature codes for unlimited data alone.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Peacebone posted:

1. Use my dad's upgrade / get the phone and then do a transfer of billing
or
2. Dad terminates my line and I sign a new contract with AT&T with a whole new phone number allowing me to get the new iphone with upgrade new customer pricing. (does that work?)

Both are viable options.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Beefstorm posted:

I don't have personal experience (no unlimited for me) but according to the intranet, we send a message once ever warning you. Then you are just left to your own tracking methods, even if its a new billing cycle.
Anecdotal, but I've gotten this message twice. I would say 6-8mo apart, and was using different phones.

The official customer facing verbiage if anyone cares:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Just off the data portion. The line access charge is never discounted.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

PurpleJesus posted:

I have an upgrade coming up in a couple months and I want the Nexus 5, which I assume will not be sold by AT&T. If I were to use my upgrade on an iPhone 5S, could I just turn around and sell it to anyone on AT&T? It's locked to the network, not the individual user, right?

I flipped a 64gb 5 when they came out for ~1100 on ebay, bought a N4 in November at launch and pocketed the rest.

Some tips, try to keep the box sealed in the factory cello and see if they will activate another SIM not the one on the box, you may have to provide your own. All of these things while seemingly stupid, matter for resale and may make the difference between getting low balled and getting a few hundred over retail.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Duckman2008 posted:

Just fyi some COR stores will insist on opening the box because its a fraud deterrent. Ordering online is likely the easiest way, not like you need the phone asap for phone calls anyway. Plus the way commission is now a days it'll actually hurt said reps numbers more than help, so they won't like you anyway.

Otherwise, nothing wrong with the process, AT&T just has a lot of fraud issues so they really frown on stuff like that.

I know, I was just mentioning it. You may still be able to get someone at best buy or something, tell them it's a present. :shrug:

It may have helped I went into work on my day off and obviously everyone knew me

myron cope posted:

What's the SIM thing? Will the SIM in the box not work or mess up billing or something? I have two upgrades on my account and have been curious about selling them for a while.

iPhones come with a preinstalled SIM and the barcode printed on the back. If you can 1) convince a rep not to open shrink wrap 2) not to use preinstalled SIM but instead one that you provide, you then at least have a quasi-valid* claim for BNIB Never Activated

*IMEI will have been scanned onto your account, I don't know of a single retailer that will let an unactivated, subsidized phone walk out the door without at least being scanned onto an account.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

nwin posted:

Well I can swap the two SIM cards out-that's easy. But what about the data?

Backup in iTunes, then wipe and restore

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
You could go into an AT&T store before you purchase the phone and just say "Just got an iPhone, may I have a nano-sim?" then just bring that blank with you when you pick up the phone.

I'm not saying that they will even allow you to not activate the pre-installed SIM, it's probably a rep or if they deal with a lot of suspected fraudulent activations a store policy not to do so.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

obeyasia posted:

I don't know what math you've done, but 2 lines on mobile share, sharing 1 GB, is cheaper than 2 lines on a 700 min, w/unlimited text and each having only 200 mb.

And 2GB is the same price.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Medikit posted:

How long does it take to unlock your phone after you cancel your account and pay your Early Termination Fee?

I don't think it happens automatically. You can just call into care 1-800-331-0500 and ask them for your unlock code. They will probably validate that your account is 1) closed 1a) in good standing and then provide you with the proper unlock pin.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

OldPueblo posted:

Just as an FYI (correct me if I'm wrong AT&T guys) you can't fax or use the line for any data services like that line that goes into a Dish DVR or whatever. So keep that in mind if you ever need anything like that. I was considering it but I'm not sure I want to give up the occasional fax convenience.

Add "Home Alarm System" to that list, pacemakers, etc

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Krispy Kareem posted:

Can anyone think of a reason why you couldn't sue AT&T over unlocking an iPhone?

Yes. You signed a binding arbitration clause :science:

You could still file in small claims, which you should anyway since the value of your iPhone isn't worth the cost of a real case anyway.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Here's a handy chart I made!

In the top chart, the price is compared from left to right. Cheaper = green, parity = yellow, more expensive = red.

The second chart compares the Value to Classic plans with respect to price. Cheaper = green, parity = yellow, more expensive = red.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 15, 2013

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Beefstorm posted:

Maybe I'm just clinically retarded. What exactly am I looking at?

Sorry, I'm not very good a spreadsheet design, but for the top one, it's just comparing prices of the various tier/price combos.

Take for example 4 smartphones on the old mobile share plans. What's the point of getting 4 smartphones with the 2 GB plan when the 6 GB is the same price.

As for the second chart, it's comparing the new Value (subsidized) prices to the old share plans. The main point there is that the majority of prices for plans between 6 GB and 20 GB went up.

:shrug:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Thermopyle posted:

Here's an oddball question:

If a person gets one of those Wireless Home Phone things, does their number (that was previously a regular landline number) continue to appear in the phone book? And by phone book, I mean the actual dead-tree phone book.

No, because it's a cell phone.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Thermopyle posted:

Well, that's what I figured, but I can see it being possible that AT&T does something on their end to make it appear like a regular landline, since that's what its supposed to replace.

But, if you have knowledge about the matter, than I guess that's that.

Sorry, I suppose I could have been more verbose about it. :(

In that it is now a cellphone, the following things will no longer work on it:
Alarm Systems
Pacemaker/Medical devices
Fax Machines
DVR's/Cableboxes
Anything that requires a POTS line to function.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Duckman2008 posted:

\but definitely download Mark the Spot and mark it as an issue. They do look at those. Otherwise, it's just a matter of whether the network team responds to tickets.

They sun-setted that app like last summer :(

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

actionjackson posted:

I have a go phone plan with 250 minutes. I just got disconnected on a call because it said I ran out. Then I got a message saying that I ran out of minutes, and any more minutes I use will be charged at the normal rate. However I'm not able to make calls at all (I get the message saying I have none left), so I'm confused - shouldn't it let me call at a by the minute rate for now, just like it says?
No, because you have no balance and they have no way to bill you in arrears. You can add money to the account and be charged the $0.10/min

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Vinlaen posted:

Quick question...

AT&T is offering me two choices for unlimited family messaging: (SMS/MMS)

Family Messaging Unlimited
and
Family Messaging Unlimited with Mobile to Any Mobile Calling

Both of the plans are $30.00/month (will either be discounted by our employment group?), but the second plan also has unlimited Mobile to Any Mobile Calling. Is there any reason NOT to choose the second plan?

Nope. Take the AM2M

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Unlock codes are like $15, just do that

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Skychrono posted:

I just bought my wife an iPhone 5s from BestBuy.com, thanks to the $50 off promotion.

It was on my upgrade, on the family plan. When I go in, will they require me to activate it against my number - at which point I'll need to go to the AT&T store to switch it back to current phone? Or can I just tell them to activate the PHONE but not attach my number to it?

I know it's a Best Buy question, technically, but I imagine AT&T employees deal with outside purchases a lot. Thanks!

You could call 611 from your phone and say "Hi I just got a phone in the mail, can you help me activate it on <wife's phone number>"

Don't bother telling them where you got it or that back story, you're only complicating things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Beefstorm posted:

Yeah ignore that paper. Its never right. Wait until you actually get a bill to make sure the discount is still there. But otherwise you should be fine.

I always loved printing 8 pages of paperwork for nothing and then telling the obviously surprised customer that the book I just bound for them, "Oh don't worry the stuff in here isn't ever correct." Really went a long way to reinforce your rapport with the customer.

Everything I told you was right this paper here, this legally binding paper you just affixed your signature to, nahhhhh don't worry about it! It's always wrong! :thumbsup:

Oh and multi-line upgrades? :allears: :allears: