Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
I just upgraded my ~2.5 year old HTC Surround to a Lumia 920. I also have some lovely Samsung brick phone on my family plan that I was using for a home phone. I was hoping to throw the Samsung in a lake and use the HTC as my home phone but the rep at the AT&T store said that wasn't possible without putting a data plan on it. Since I'm not on contract is there any way I can get around this or is my HTC a glorified Zune HD now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Well, shucks. Maybe I'll get the home phone set up that he was trying to sell me at the store and put that on my family plan instead. Looked decent enough. Then I could still throw this Samsung in a lake.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

My wife has an iPhone 4 16 GB that's contract is well past over. I was going to surprise her this week with a 5c. Should I skip the surprise part and have her take the phone to the store for trade in? If I can take it in later for a bill credit that's cool too. Don't know if I want to deal with eBay or Craigslist unless that gets me way more money.

Basically I'm just trying to figure out what to do with the old phone, since it seems the iPhone 4 is still holding its value pretty well.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Well I was planning on spending :10bux:x10 anyway, so if it trades in for that much I might just take her to the store and see if she wants a 5s instead

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Since my bill is due next week and I have it sitting in front of me I thought I would post it in here and see if anyone could help me pinch some pennies.

Line 1 (iPhone 5S on contract):
$60 - FamilyTalk Nation 700 with Rollover
$20 - DataPlus 300MB for iPhone on 4G LTE with Visual Voicemail
$~9 - Taxes and crap

Line 2 (Lumia 920 on contract):
$10 - FamilyTalk Nation 700 with Rollover
$ 7 - Mobile Insurance Premium (don't know what this is actually)
$30 - DataPro 3GB for Smartphone 4G LTE with Visual Voicemail
$~3 - Taxes and crap

Phone 1 used 241 MB of data and always makes an effort to stay under 300 MB, Phone 2 used 260 MB of data but does occasionally go up in the 500 range. Both phones combined used 139 plan minutes and we are currently sitting at 5,382 rollover minutes.

Bill is $139.86 a month right now assuming neither of us goes over on data.

e: we have free texting until April because my wife asked about lowering the bill to stay on AT&T a few months back when we were off contract and they threw that in for us.

Devo fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 19, 2014

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

obeyasia posted:

$125 gets you Unl Talk/Text with 1GB data to share, before tax. Keeps you about where you are now, when April rolls around and you have to start paying for Text again. Now thats under the pretense that you are going to start a new contract ASAP. Be smart and go NEXT when the time comes.

If your last 2 year started before February, then you could be paying only $95 before tax for the above. Then when you want new phones, be smart and go NEXT when the time comes. You'll pay the 95 plus the installment. Or just buy one at full retail and be done with it. Saving $30/mo is good.

Lumia was purchased on contract about a year ago, and iPhone was in November? So it's $95 plus tax assuming we keep our phones or go NEXT? That's a pretty significant discount. I'm assuming I can change plans with no real issues on the AT&T website?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Finally swapped over to the mobile share plan today. Because our phones were on contract it was actually five bucks cheaper to do the 10 GB plan than the 2 GB plan. So time to stream some Netflix I guess.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

My wife and I both got new jobs within the last couple months and I think we both are eligible for a discount now. Is there an easy way to look up who has the better discount or do I need to go digging on our job websites? Also the plan is in her name, if my discount is better what sort of shenanigans do I need to pull to switch that over to my name? (or just add my name or whatever)

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I busted the screen on my cheapo Android tablet again but it's still on a service commitment for a few more months. It would actually cost me more to get it repaired than to just buy a replacement on eBay or Amazon if I don't do the repair myself. Assuming I just pop the $95 for a new one and get it activated at my local store, is the old one good to sell even though I'm on a service commitment? I figure someone might want to pay a couple bucks for it and fix the screen themselves. Or maybe I'll try to fix it myself without the fear or being hosed over if I break it.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

Sure, it'll just be locked to ATT.

So the service commitment doesn't get moved to the new tablet even though I'm moving the number over to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Arsten posted:

The tablet is locked pending successful termination of the contract on that line (And even then, you gotta call.) It has nothing to do with with which filthy whore of a device you have that line stuck into, now.

That makes sense. I'm generally clueless to how cell phone plans work. I just pay my bill every month and keep getting service.