Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I was allowed to get prepaid for my iPhone, but is that because it was unlocked? I was switching back from T-Mobile. They said the data would be available on 6/21.

Also for the $25/month prepaid, do the 250 minutes include nights and weekends?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Alright, well 250 is probably enough for most months, but would Google voice also work if I need additional minutes? From reading the description of the app, it still uses the minutes of my phone plan.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I switched to the 250 minute go phone plan, but now I can only by the 50 MB data package? Why?

edit: I guess I can just buy two of them (100 MB is more than I need anyway), but I still don't get it.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 28, 2013

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

booshi posted:

Because that's how phone plans work? That is the cheapest go phone plan for a smart phone, so of course it's going to offer crappy data plans, so you buy a better plan.

Well okay, but it was pretty funny how you couldn't buy 100 MB for $10, but you could buy 50 MB for $5 each twice.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

nm

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I use pretty minimal data, I just buy one or two 50 MB blocks a month. Why is it when I utilize data out of town the same processes use so much more? For example I was just in SF, and after just accessing a few webpages it told me I had used something like 15 MB of data, which is insane. I have roaming turned off, so I'm not sure what's going on.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Well it was SF so probably, but I think I turned off my wi-fi in the hotel because their's was very expensive.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

It looks like I was using a lot of background data on several apps (Play Store, NYTimes, FB). I'll disable that, for some reason it was utilized much more when I was out of town.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I have a go phone plan with 250 minutes. I just got disconnected on a call because it said I ran out. Then I got a message saying that I ran out of minutes, and any more minutes I use will be charged at the normal rate. However I'm not able to make calls at all (I get the message saying I have none left), so I'm confused - shouldn't it let me call at a by the minute rate for now, just like it says?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

SeaborneClink posted:

No, because you have no balance and they have no way to bill you in arrears. You can add money to the account and be charged the $0.10/min

Okay, thanks. I'll just stick with texting for the next week.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hey!

I have an unlocked smartphone with a gophone plan (the $40 one). I ran out of minutes, and got a message saying every additional minute would be 10 cents. However when I try to make a call it says I need to refill. Why won't it let me make calls at the additional charge?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm going to the UK in a couple weeks. I currently have an unlocked Nexus 4 that I use the $40 gophone monthly plan on. If I try to use this phone to either call or text another US number, will I be charged roaming fees while overseas?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hey I had a quick question, I have a Moto X unlocked that I use with AT&T's GoPhone. I bought it 13 days ago and am actually returning it today or tomorrow because I bought a version with more capacity that was on sale directly through Motorola. My question is can I take the sim in my current phone and simply put it in the new phone, or will that not work? Otherwise I can just bring both in and have them switch it over.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Yes you can swap the SIM.

Ok thanks. They won't care if I return the first phone without a sim in it?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Okay, so I put the sim in my new phone, then erase all the data on my old phone correct? I want to make sure none of my stuff is on there when I return it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Thanks for the help

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

SeaborneClink posted:

I can confirm this happened to me also Sunday night. Received a few MMS from Thurs-Sat, all were time-stamped with the current time, not the original time.

Seems that there were some nationwide issues. Just a reminder to never rely on S/MMS for time sensitive things, they are by definition a "best effort" method of communication. The protocols don't have guaranteed expirations or notification of failure.

Is it possible you could be receiving SMS ok but other people are not receiving yours?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I returned the phone I had just bought. That was no problem and they even helped me blog on my screen protector. I got home and the display wouldn't come on after making a call. Eventually I realized the proximity sensor was blocked because he had put the protector on upside down!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Question about GoPhone plans - I'm going to be in Europe next month so I don't get any phone service when I'm there. What happens if someone tries to call me? Will they get my voicemail or nothing?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

I guess it would go to voicemail since it just wouldn't work?

The reason I ask is because I'm looking for a new job and I want to change my voice-mail during that time to instruct any recruiters to contact me by email during that time. Hence I want to make sure they will at least get my voice-mail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

I may have a better solution for you: Create a google voice account, give that number to everyone, and you can check voicemails and call over wifi from overseas.

So if I get a google voice account, I can port my mobile number to that, then use the hangouts dialer to make and receive calls over wi-fi when I'm overseas?