Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Smartphones require data regardless of age, so unfortunately no.

Come over and ask in the prepaid thread, someone will be able to help you. You might have to get the phone unlocked first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

EbolaIvory posted:

Kids these days.

Guess what I'm saying is 15ms difference being a big deal to ANYONE is hyperbole.

If you have 50ms ping to your favorite server for a couple years and someone "upgrades" you and you have 65ms pings you might get pissed. You would have every right.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

ADTerminal posted:

I just stumbled upon this thread by chance and couldn't help but notice the price plans in the US for phones are loving insane. Why is this?

In the UK, I pay £26 ($40 or so) monthly for an iPhone 4S, with unlimited data, texts, and 100 minutes, and there was no up front cost for my phone either.

How the gently caress do people in the US afford communication? :smith:

We also get a iPhone 5 for $200 instead of the $750 so that means that an extra $550/24 $23 per month is built into our prices.

Also the US is a very big sparsely populated country so it's very expensive to have good tower coverage. You can get decent plans for $50 months but you have to pay for your phone.

In genera it costs about $80 per month on average for a good plan (including the cost of a phone). Some people pay more (Up to $130 per month) because they want a premium carrier (AT&T or Verizon). It's much more expensive but given the coverage area that carriers have to cover I think it's fair.

We do have some discount options but we still end up paying something like $50 per month.

To be fair we have a similar plan on Tmobile that costs $30 per month but you have to provide your own phone. You could grab an unlocked iPhone 4S for $215 off Swappa and use them with TMo. $215 spread accross 24 months + $30 actually ends up cheaper then your $40 per month.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 13, 2013

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Who knows when a Nexus 5 is coming out.

Or even if. The price drop today of Nexus 4 to $199/$249 could signal they are clearing out stock or maybe they just feel the device is good enough and they just want to drive down the price to get a great device out there.

With the N4 Google made a super top tier product at an extreme discount. It's possible they feel they have a good enough phone. I'm not really sure what google would care to upgrade. 720p is good enough for most people, the camera is ok, the processor is still in the top 5 of benchmarks.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

ddogflex posted:

LTE is a pretty big deal. Other than that the N4 is still a great device. It was weird it didn't have LTE a year ago honestly.

They made one global device to drive the price down. There is no standard for LTE and it only matters in the US. To make LTE devices you pretty much have to make a different specific one for every carrier.

As we've seen with the N4 it could have had TMo and Rogers (Canada) LTE easily but it still would have lacked ATT LTE.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Beefstorm posted:

Especially since I'm the ambassador...

She was on maternity leave and the FIRST DAY she is back, she sells one.

What a scam.

Maybe she sold it while on maternity and had to wait to come back to make it official.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Beefstorm posted:

And it's war. I was told not to post exactly what it is, but we now have a bunch of closer promotions to work with for new lines.

Wow, I guess TMobile was right "either things will radically change or we'll win". It's nice that finally we are seeing some movement in the wireless space.

I think people are pretty happy with their phones (and on the GS3 you can buy replacement batteries for like $30 so they could stay new forever) so I think we might start seeing real aggressive push back on the prices once people realize they were paying every month to get a $700 phone for $200. I don't run into anyone with a GS3 era phone that calls the phone a "piece of poo poo" after a year of use like they always did with every non-iPhone smartphone before that.

That and a $299 Custom Moto X (sale price coming soon), $179 Moto G, $80 Lumia 521 really makes the subsidy model look pretty silly.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 25, 2014

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

gman14msu posted:

So I'm currently on Sprint but want to get on my family's AT&T plan. I'd like to get a Moto X.

Why do you want to get on your families plan? Simple answer leave them alone, buy a moto x directly for 380 sign up for Aio (ATT service) for $40 a month.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

gman14msu posted:

I'm open to other plans as well, I just figured the family plan would be cheaper. I've never heard of Aio, but looking quickly it looks like $50 for 2.5GB which looks like not as good a deal as $45 for 3GB on my family plan (if I can in fact get that).

Edit: I also realize my pricing is a bit different since I'm only counting the costs I ADD to the family plan, not costs plus my share of the base plan. That's the reason for the family plan, my family just told me I'll pay whatever I add to the plan.

Aio gives $5 off per month if you sign up for auto pay also they give you a free month free. Also Aio charges no taxes/fees so it's likey much cheaper. My favorite thing about prepaid is there is no way for a book to get or if control (rouge app or something). A scam has started recently where a specific phone will call to hang up after one ring. If you call back you get charged 45 cents per minute.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I am happy with the fact that our monthly bill is lower now that we've gone from the old 10gb to the new 10gb value plan, but... I need a new phone and the upgrades we had waiting for literally years don't make sense anymore (because they will increase our bill dramatically.)

I know the age of carrier subsidized phones is at its end but goddamn that's like >$1500 in subsidies that we effectively paid for but have forever lost, and now I need to come up with $500+ for a new unlocked phone. poo poo sucks.

Go buy Moto Gs for either $179 8 gb or $199 16gb. Unless you need a great camera the G is 90% of a flagship for 1/3 the price. Also the Moto X is $330, the Nexus 5 is also cheap and both of there are real flagship phones. If you want super cheap the Nokia 600s run around $60. Yeah it sucks you paid and lost those subsidies, not you have plenty of quality options under $500.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

emocrat posted:

I have never bought a used phone before, so I just wanted to check before I did this. If I were to buy a used iPhone and then use it with a new line on my current plan, is there anything I need to check for besides it being an AT&T device? Planning on buying on Swappa.

No, that's fine. Swappa makes them confirm the IMEI is not a stolen phone, so once Swappa approves of the posting you're good. Since you buy using paypal you have significant ability to dispute the transaction (the dispute resolution takes a couple days, but almost always will give you your money back). If you want a 2nd layer of protection then make sure to fund the paypal transaction using a credit card then you can dispute the credit card charge instead of having to rely on Paypal dispute resolution.

I had a bad transaction on Swappa and did dispute resolution and got refunded after about 2 weeks. Swappa's the best way to buy used phones in my option and I've had 2 lovely transactions, but there are jerks everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

OldPueblo posted:

Alternatively you hit craigslist and pick up a phone for $100 or something. I've flipped tons of phones on craigslist for family members while getting them "new" phones. Some of which are in perfect condition.

Moto g lte is a near flagship phone for $220 also.