Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I'm traveling internationally in a month, and I'd like to unlock a phone, I have a GSM Galaxy Nexus already unlocked so I don't need to worry about that, but I want to get my wife's phone unlocked. We've been with AT&T for years, but I just renewed her contract and got her an iPhone 5 so they are rejecting my claims. I have a Samsung Focus, and a Samsung Blackjack II, if I could unlock one of them that'd be fine. How can I go about getting those old phones unlocked?

I've seen some ebay stores that unlock iPhones, is there one that is recommended or are they all illegal now with that inane DCMA thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Thought I run this by the thread.

So in Oct 2014, I went into an AT&T store to get a new iPhone, the agent added mobile insurance without me asking.

I called in as soon as I saw it and asked it to be removed and refunded. This was not done, but I didn't notice.

I happened to check the bill last night, and saw it was on there, so I went online and removed it and called into get a refund. I was offered 3 months refund of the insurance, but I asked if I could get it all, and the agent told me she'd need a manager. So I was put on hold for a manager, and then the call dropped. IT was like 10pm by now so I just called back this morning.

Today I was transferred around for an hour and a half, in the the transfer process i was sent to Insurion, and the offered me three months too, but needed a manager. So I was transferred to a manager, but it was really just the ATT regular line again. She me she couldn't do anything, but need a manager that then finally rudely told by a manager that they could do nothing, not even the three months.

Is there anything I can do?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Duckman2008 posted:

No, you are out that money. Standard ATT policy is past 3 months for billing disputes, beyond that it is your responsibility to have been checking your bill.

The response will be something like this:

"I'm sorry sir, but I wasn't there 2 years ago and since you signed there is no way to verify. Customer care crediting the last 3 months will be the best option. Yes I understand you have been a customer with us for 5 years, but unfortunately the system won't let me do anything more. And I can't give you the info to our district manager, but I can forward your information to him/her. However, I would let you know the answer will be the same, we simply cannot credit more than 3 billing cycles."

Seriously, obviously sucks, but if you had something added on, asked for it to be removed, and then didn't check your bill for months, then you really are liable. Add in corporate politics and policies and you aren't getting that money back. I would chalk it as a lesson to always check bills say, twice a year.

I'm totally cool with the 3 months, but this lady wouldn't even do that.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Endless Mike posted:

You straight up said you were offered three months. Twice. And declined it. Twice.
1/7/2015: offered three months. I asked if I could get more, they said sure, we just need a manager to approve it. Call is dropped
1/8/2015: called back, offered three months, I said I was told last night I could get more if I spoke to a manager. Told I'd be transferred to a manger. Transferred to a regular CS agent. That agent told me I couldn't get anything, not even three months. Manager told me the same, and would not budge.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I just had an issue where my Nexus 5X wasn't getting LTE. My IMEI wasn't provisioned, so I got on chat and had a dude fix it. When I was done, I said "what is the largest courtesy credit you can give me with out having to transfer me? Pretend I'm really upset." Gave me $10 bucks. Guess that's the max they can give.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I got the double data promotion from a few years back. So I have 30gb (15gb doubled for 100). If I go to a new plan, so I get the data doubled?

That'd be the only real value for it.

$ 90 - six lines @ $15 a line
$100 - base plan 30GB
$-30 - FAN Discount

And then a couple of payment plans for next, but those aren't effected.

So for 160, I get ton of service. We typically use 15-20GB's a month. So I don't see any value in the new plans, right?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Duckman2008 posted:

No, the new plan is a base of $135 for 30GB, and $20 a line. Your plan is $100 for 30GB, and $15 a line. Your current plan will def be better.

My base plan is actually 15GB@$100, but I got the double data a couple years back, so it's 30GB. If they honored the double data, then maybe 16GB at $90. or 32GB with double could be worth it. But if it changes to $20 a line, then

120 - 6 lines at 20
90 - 16gb doubled to 32gb
- 30 - fan
180 total.

Nope, that's more for only 2GB extra. Noooooope.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Deal with this before you end up in r/relationship thread being mocked. Shut off his data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Femur posted:

The usage is especially heavy in the morning, when he's driving to class, like 1g worth

grimcreaper posted:

Sounds like he's streaming youtube stuff at 4k. Tell him your going to limit him to a sane amount of data, like 4 gigs a month.

He's driving while watching Youtube? Why don't you start dealing with that first?