Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Avalanche posted:

Hey cool. My HTC One shipped. It will be here Monday evening.

But someone somehow managed to disable the loving SIM card on my current phone (I've tried swapping the thing into multiple phones and it detects the SIM but wont connect to the network). So I cannot make/receive calls for 4 days.

Awesome.

Sounds like something got screwed up with activation, usually there are instructions on activating a device that gets shipped to you. In any event, if you can, go to an AT&T store and get a new sim, they unfortunately cannot reuse them if they get deactivated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

I'm pretty sure on the nation plans (non mobile share) it provisions the 3GB plan because it's just a lot safer than the 300MB plan, especially for an auto provision where there customer might not be aware of the details.

Not only is the 300mb an incredibly bad deal but it's a huge cash cow because people can go through that in just a couple days if they're not careful, only to be charged another $15 for 300mb more of data. I would have a hard time believing that AT&T wouldn't want to cash in on that.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

frankylazers posted:

Two questions:

I'm the only one left on my family plan and I don't see an option online to change it to an individual plan. Do I have to go in a store or call customer service to change this?

I also have an unlimited data plan for my iphone. I'd like to switch to an android phone this year and keep the unlimited plan though. Is this possible?

AT&T still allows you to grandfather unlimited plans through upgrades. Just call customer service to get it switched to a single plan and do it quick as they're going to stop offering anything but Mobile Share pretty soon.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I'm having a hard time judging what may be my best option as I like to switch phones pretty often.

Currently, running a new refurbished iPhone 5 I just got from Apple and on Cricket's $45/month plan.

Interested in getting the 6+ 64gb on Next 12 and being the 3rd person on a relative's 10gb Mobile Share plan.

What happens if I want to use a different phone say 6 months in? I can't just return the phone to AT&T and they knock off the finance pricing, correct? I have to keep the phone for 20 months until I am free to sell it?

Edit: The trade-in and new activation promotion may be the tipping point I'd like.

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 12, 2014

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Hey just curious if anyone has worked at an AT&T retail store as an RSC and what your experience was? I've sold phones at a few places now, one being working for a company hired by Samsung to sell at their storefronts in Best Buy. I've been in sales/customer service for 3 years now and took a cushy office job thinking it'd be good but I'm making jack poo poo for the amount of work I do and honestly it's HVAC and not some sort of technology haha.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Yup,I worked as a RSC for two years (moved up recently). Overall I loved it. The only downside is it gets repetitive: your only goal is literally sell to customers. It can also get stressful since ATT sets very high goals. But honestly, the job isn't that hard, and it pays very well for its level.

The biggest thing is you need to be open to selling company initiatives. If the company wants you to sell beats music, get your attach rates up, you always need good insurance and accessory numbers, and you need to be ok with selling home security (an extremely hard sell).

But if you're flexible, it's Union so you get guaranteed raises every 6 months until you cap, career growth is good, and you can make good money. It's not as corporate feeling as you would think either. I over exceeded about 5 out of 12 months out of the year on commission myself. I worked at best buy myself briefly, and the pay difference between best buy and corp wireless retail is just laughable, I think I made about 3 times the income at ATT vs Best Buy.

I sold phones at Sam's Club for almost 2 years, with the initiative being "Sell 3 phones a day", no attach rates, no plan upgrades, but also no commission. Honestly I'm not a great seller and haven't had much sales training or goals but very good with customer service and satisfaction. The only thing I'm hesitant about is going back to working weekends but if they're average RSC income is to be believed then that's an incredibly huge raise from what I'm making now.

How did you get promoted and what do you do? Thanks by the way for answering my question!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

The mobile share plans will have better data speeds, basically AT&T prepaid is capped at 8-10MB while post paid is just not capped. That being said, prepaid also just killed overages, so on the go phone plan if you go over its only slowed data, vs on postpaid where you get auto overages. I would recommend the go phone plan.

I thought Cricket was speed-capped and GoPhone wasn't? I'm seeing a lot of people ditch Cricket for GoPhone because of the speed issues Cricket is having and the latter being just fine.

Edit: I'm even debating finding someone's plan to jump onto, as for the better part of the last month Cricket has gotten me a hefty .34 Mbps down on LTE. Not 3.4, .34, meanwhile HSPA got me 1.76Mbps! The only issue is that I've got two other people with me who are spending $25/month and I'd be hard pressed to find another provider that beats that for smartphone pricing.

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 2, 2014

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Vinlaen posted:

I just dumped my unlimited data plan for a mobile shared plan even though it's costing me $30 more per month. I'm tired of AT&T throttling me and this month it happened when I only used 4 GB.

I thought they throttled once you hit 5gb?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Obama2 posted:

Do not buy screen protectors or cases from AT&T. Their screen protectors come with a lifetime warranty where if you pay $40 for one up front you can get free replacements for life for just $8. Meanwhile, a three pack of screen protectors on Amazon is $8

Agreed. I usually just get whatever cheapo tempered glass protector that'll keep my screen from getting scratched up and they always serve me well. Crazy how high of a markup retails places do for them. Think some of the ones at like Best Buy push above $40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
After trying hard to actually justify getting a phone for as cheap as possible through some sort of carrier finance program, they most definitely are nothing more than to get you to stick within their bounds for as long as possible.

If cost is of any concern, you'd be better off saving money with a prepaid provider and buying a phone either used, or outright with a cashback credit card. The latter can also sometimes apply additional benefits like warranties.

In the end, bill credits are their clever way to keep you locked in without explicitly calling it a contract. I'd only recommend them if you're getting some sort of good discount or you just absolutely do not want to hassle with finding cheap service or are okay paying a premium to have the latest tech.