Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Our current plan for 10 Gb is $120 + 4 x $30 = $240

New value plan for same is $100 + 4 x $40 = $260

How come everyone else seems to do better on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Lethanialist posted:

If you entered your contract before February 2 you are eligible to get $100 + 4 x $15 = $160. You are still in contract but will pay the non-contract price.

I wish they were clearer about this on the web page, instead of saying generic stuff about the $15 charge like "This amount reflects Mobile Share Value savings for eligible smartphones." But there is some small print that says "New pricing avail. to AT&T customers on 2-yr agmt as of 2/1/14" so that is useful.

So it seems like it will in fact be $20 more per month for our four lines once we all get new phones (if we do). But until then, we'll save $80 a month, for at least the next 6 months, so that seems pretty worth it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Krailor posted:

When it comes time to upgrade you should just buy your new phone outright or use Next instead of signing a new 2 year contract. This way your per-line payments stay at $15 and you just add whatever monthly amount your Next phone costs.

OK, I don't really see why anyone would have a contract now, especially if your data plan is over 10GB.

iPhone Contract: pay $236 now, pay $40 per device per month, own phone after 24 months
Next 18: pay $0 now, pay same $40 ($15 + $25 Next) per month, own phone after 26 months. Or trade it in earlier.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

obeyasia posted:

In general, any reason we dont have the MST linked in the OP? Not that anyone reads it, but its useful for these rate plan questions.

Wow, that is fascinating that all that stuff is just out on the internet. I guess for use by resellers?

Found using a quick Google: http://www.myattmst.com/MST-HOME.html

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Just as a data point, I switched our plan to Mobile Share Value and everything seems to have worked out properly. All four of our phones are showing as $40 (for being in contract) with a $25 discount (for switching over now).

Our old bill was $245 a month, and our new one should be $160 or so until the contracts expire, so that's a sizable savings.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If someone came in and wanted a non-smartphone, is there any on AT&T that is better than the rest?

My girlfriend has some kind of ancient Nokia for work, and it's held together by tape and good wishes, but she can't use a smartphone with that SIM.

I'm probably better off just buying the same one she already has on eBay.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Because it irritates me a lot more than it irritates her.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Are you changing that third phone to a smartphone? ATT charges more for that.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ATT needs to work on their Next messaging, because I still regularly hear pod casters and bloggers describing it as a total rip off. And then in the next sentence talking about how the US will never move to contract free phones.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If I check my upgrade availability, it offers Next or a new 2-year service agreement. But when I tried to unlock my old phone today, it said it couldn't because "you have not completed your service agreement."

Am I in some kind of limbo between contracts? Is there any way to see my exact contract expiration date?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

NEXT 12 is just divide the retail price by 20.
NEXT 18 is just divide the retail price by 24.

Once the phones come out, the web site is pretty clear on how much they cost.

If your state has sales tax, that is going to be a chunk of money on Next, since you pay it on the total value up-front.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We're getting U-Verse cable / internet installed tomorrow. Does anyone know how the wiring works? Is it coax inside the walls of the house, or does it use the existing phone lines?

Also as a general installation question, how do they usually get the wires from where it comes into the house to where you want the outlet (like a second floor bedrom)? Basement to attic then down the walls?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Sticky posted:

Edit: or if I had read your post I would have seen you had it installed already so you probably already know. So enjoy your service.

Thanks for the response! Ours was fiber to the neighborhood but the drop is right across the street so we still could get the fastest speeds. They ended up running a line from our bedroom phone jack along the baseboard, into a closet, then drilled through the wall to get to where our living room tv is.

It took a long time for the install because our setup required a second pair and our building didn't have that wired up right.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Interesting that Next from Apple doesn't allow in-store pickup, but they will mail it to you.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I've gotta say, I'm still amazed at the deal they had where if you switched to the Mobile Share Value plan, they gave you the $25 per phone discount even if you were still under contract.

For the four lines on our shared plan, that was a total of 51 months of "subsidy" they wiped out, or $1275. Crazy!

Because of when we switched, the one iPhone 5S we have essentially only cost $200 + 4 months x $25, or $300.

Do they still have deal going on?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The $40 upgrade fee is not new and not specific to iPhones.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Three Olives posted:

I get what they are doing but there has to be a way of pricing it that isn't so confusing, I was comparing my old 450 minute/4GB data plan with the Mobile Share plans and moving to a 6 GB plan looked like a meh deal but the $10 a month price break on the phone line at the 10GB level and the numbers made a lot more sense.

I will say the little plan comparison widget in the myAT&T app is really good. It gives a total price including all our phones and the corporate discount and our average overage charges for the last 3 months. It really would cost us more for the 6 GB plan then our current 10 GB one.

Edit: I recognize this isn't exactly rocket science but usually the AT&T site ignores discounts entirely.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 29, 2014

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Huge_Midget posted:

So what's the deal with this new double data plan promotion?
Only for the 15 GB / $130 per month and higher plans.

I'm kind of torn, personally. It's a good deal and a limited offer, but we really don't go over 10 GB very often. Usually only if someone forgets to put their phone on wifi at home.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 29, 2014

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ScarletBrother posted:

Is there a non-anecdotal source for this throttling? I haven't noticed anything on my gf'd unlimited plans.

From the horse's mouth: http://www.att.com/esupport/datausage.jsp?source=IZDUel1160000000U

quote:

As a result of the AT&T network management process, customers on a 3G or 4G smartphone with an unlimited data plan who have exceeded 3 gigabytes of data in a billing period may experience reduced speeds when using data services at times and in areas that are experiencing network congestion. Customers on a 4G LTE smartphone will experience reduced speeds once their usage in a billing cycle exceeds 5 gigabytes of data. All such customers can still use unlimited data without incurring overage charges, and their speeds will be restored with the start of the next billing cycle.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

On the new plans it does not matter at all.

Yeah? On the old Mobile Share I had an impossible time porting numbers from other regions into our plan. Even just NJ to CT.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

pzy posted:

So if I switch from my grandfathered unlimited to the new data pool with my family plan, there's no more phone subsidies? Is that right?

Not quite. Main difference is that you can choose to not take the $15 or $25 a month subsidy if you want. Old school plans don't have that option, so bringing your own phone makes no sense.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

bvoid posted:

So I've always assumed that AT&T Next was a rip off, but I just did the math out (considering the drop in monthly charge that comes from using NEXT) and the cost over 2 years is EXACTLY the same. I don't plan on doing the trade-in thing after the 12 or 18 months or whatever, so it's the same idea for both the 2-year commitment and the NEXT plan.

Am I missing something here? Are there any hidden fees or any stipulations that I'm not seeing with NEXT?

AFAIK, Next used to be a rip-off because they didn't give you a discount on your bill for choosing it. So you were paying a monthly fee that included a subsidy, but not using the subsidy. Now you get $15 or $25 off, and then can use that money to pay for Next, and it makes much more financial sense.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Do they still have that thing going where you switch to a Mobile Share Value plan, they switch your phones to the $15 / $25 price immediately? Because that was a pretty sweet deal.

Raimondo posted:

I just got a random charge from "AT&T MOBILITY II" for $58.50. Any ideas what that might be, or how I can figure it out?

Were they Next phones? Maybe it's the sales tax?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Most iPhone people still replace their iPhones with iPhones.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

FTC sues AT&T over 'deceptive' throttling of unlimited data customers.

A light at the end of the tunnel for the few of us hanging on to unlimited data?

Most likely they would just get rid of "unlimited" at the next renewals, since the FTC says that would be a valid option.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, streaming or videos is a good way to use a lot of data.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I'm trying to add a line on a new number on an existing value share plan and just get a SIM. I can't figure out how to do this online, because it seems like it makes you pick a phone. Any ideas? Should I just give up and go to AT&T store?

Edit: I think it is Premiere loving things up. The online store won't let me add any devices except Next or contract to a Mobile Value Share plan. So it filters out no contract stuff like SIMs.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 11, 2014

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, that's a 10 min transaction in store, anyone will love to help you with it. A long as the account is in your name you can add the line in store no contract. Technically you are supposed to have a phone they put the SIM IN, but stores aren't picky about that one.

Cool. At this point, the phone is supposed to show up from Amazon today anyway, so I'll bring it with me.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I'm surprised an Alpha would be subbed for a phablet. Especially since, wasn't the Note more expensive to start with?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The Nokia 635 seems like a pretty nice "first smartphone" for old people. Huge buttons for apps, pretty snappy, and cheap. We were originally going to go for a Moto G for one of our parents, which I'm sure is a better phone, but the whole Android experience is so much more complicated and fiddly.

Plus the 635 comes in safety orange.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The corporate AT&T store I went to yesterday sure had a lot of display space for the Amazon Fire Phone. I guess they committed to that before anyone realized they wouldn't sell.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Hmm, we moved from 10 GB to 30 GB when they had the promotion, but we really would be fine with 15 GB, and it's $30 cheaper than 30 GB.

Argh, they also have a $150 promotion if you transfer a new smartphone line, which we did just yesterday.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

15 GB for 10 GB price starts Tuesday. 30 GB for 15 GB price is an existing promotion. So no 15 GB plan today.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Well, you can switch to 10 GB today, and that will probably show as 15 GB tomorrow, so...

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If you are on the 30 GB plan, the 15 GB plan should now show up as something to switch to. And the 10 GB plan does not.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The fine print says:

quote:

15GB Plan: Limited-time plan offer. Must sign up for or request to sign up for this promotional Mobile Share ValueSM plan. Select locations. Customers may remain on their promo plan after offer expires. Changes: After offer period ends, if you change your data amount, you will lose the promotional plan and standard Mobile Share Value data allotments and pricing will apply.

I understand being paranoid, but I don't really think AT&T is in a position where they can say, "we don't have a $100 family plan."

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Another question for store people: when we signed up for a plan this weekend, there was a 30 week version of Next. What's up with that?

Nevermind, 10 seconds of Googling shows it's called Next 24:
http://about.att.com/story/att_gives_wireless_customers_one_more_way_to_save_with_att_next_24.html

Not a bad idea, really. Especially if you are buying an iPhone halfway through a release cycle.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

OldPueblo posted:

So no downside to this, it's just a competitive freebee that you have to manually ask for to switch?

My guess is that the goal is to get more lines on these shared data plans. If you have 15 GB instead of 10 GB, maybe you let your brother join, and AT&T gets $15 a month more.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Starting to see people renew Mobile Share Value plans and get sticker shock when their price goes from $15 to $40 per line. Not sure how they thought $15 per subsidized line was sustainable, that's only $360 to AT&T over the contract length vs. a $450 phone subsidy.

Also, still amazing to see so much misinformation out there about Next. "They force you to turn in your phone after a year and you get nothing!"

So people make bad decisions to just renew contract because they are scared of Next, instead of exploring options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Well, the old rates were complicated.
http://www.att.com/Common/about_us/pdf/att_mobile_share_plans.pdf

So a 10 GB plan was $120 + $30/phone. Now it's $100 + $40/phone.

1 phone: old plan was $10 more overall
2 phones: break even
3 phones: new plan is $10 more overall
4 phones: new plan is $20 more overall
etc.

But personally I think the lowered off contract rate more than makes up for that. Practically, we can now add a smartphone line for $15 a month by buying an unlocked $100 phone on Amazon. Couldn't do that on the old plans.