Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Hello.

My wife and I have a MOBILE SHARE 1GB plan with TWO smartphones. I would love to tell you what we are paying for this, but since we turned off uverse last week I have not been able to view our bill online. Maybe some day it will return LOL.

I am trying to add a third line, and eventually we may add an AT&T ipad. When I login at att.com and 'Add a line' -> 'Add a line – Mobile Share' -> Select iPhone 5 -> no accessories ->

at the Rate Plans screen I select "AT&T Mobile Share(R) with Unlimited Talk & Text" with a monthly charge of $0.00 listed. The next screen is for selecting 'Data Plans for iPhone'. I suppose I want to join a mobile share group? So I enter my mobile number...

Three plans are presented. The first is our current one 'AT&T Mobile Share(R) 1GB with Unlimited Talk & Text' for $34.80 (normally $40 but corp discount, ha). It says 2 of 10 lines in group. It is missing an 'Add to Cart' button. Huh? But it does have a selected radio button, and that is the only radio button.

There is a $45 option for 'AT&T Mobile Share(R) Personal for iPhone on 4G LTE (1)'. Is AT&T really charging more for data on an iphone just because it is an iphone? I feel dumb enough buying an iphone.

Some one please explain what I can do here.

edit: and if we upgrade a line to an iphone online we have to join it to a single-user data plan and then put it back in the share plan later? And there is a $30 upgrade fee :/.

other people fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

obeyasia posted:

You just don't understand the pricing structure for the service you are paying for, that's all. The data bucket is $40 ($34.80 w/your discount) and then EVERY smart phone after that is $45 per line. Activations/Upgrades are $36 regardless. Good luck getting it waived. AT&T corporate just dropped a serious hammer on them and have reinforced to us retail heads that there is no waiving them.

I've read the OP and understand the pricing. I realize now what the website is doing, but it certainly isn't clear to the user what is going on.

Having me assign the new line/phone phone to my 1gb share plan when I select a plan for the phone makes sense, but then having me assign the phone to a data plan (as I seemingly just put the phone in my 1gb bucket) with three options, one being the 1gb share plan bucket rate that I selected already, and the others being data plans that have iphone in the title like they are something special makes no sense.

I "get" what the site was doing now, but please don't presume I don't understand the basic fee schedule because the AT&T site is poorly designed.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Duckman2008 posted:

To anyone on AT&T, the current trade in promo is really good. Most old smartphones that get a small trade in get rounded up to $100. So the 3GS would normally have a $30 trade in, but ATT will give you $100 for it. The craziest one so far is a HTC Hero trades for $2 but it gets rounded to $98.

So stop by a corp store with your old phones, you can trade it towards anything in store or a bill credit.

Even the original iPhone and iPhone 3G seem to qualify.

Just for laughs, what would a Palm Pixi get you?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
We used to have U-verse and our AT&T wireless account charges all arrive on a single bill. At the end of March we closed the U-verse account when we moved. I still can't view our phone bill or any past payment history online, as it reports 'your account has recently changed from a combined bill to a standalone bill'.

How many years will it take AT&T to sort this out? I kno

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
May I rant for a moment?

The billing with AT&T is a complete loving joke. Last month, we were apparently charged the $35 for a 3rd line that we added the month before, but then the charge was eliminated for some unknown reason. So this month they have charged us the $35 twice. They also mailed me a $13 check for some completely unknown reason.

Bill March 19 - April 18
Mobile Share for iPhone on 4G LTE $35.00
Mobile Share for iPhone on 4G LTE −$35.00

Bill April 19 - May 18
Monthly Charges - May 19 thru Jun 18

Other Charges and Credits
This plan is $35.00 per month. You added this plan on 04/19. You are charged at the new plan rate from 04/19 - 05/18.

So now I get an email saying our account is passed due because the amount I told our bank to pay every month didn't take this billing fuckery into account. This is really loving annoying. gently caress.

Oh, and I can't see any bills past March 19 because we dropped uverse service and this apparently make accessing past bills impossible because?

I just want to know what my loving bill will be every month.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Hello, I hope some one can assist me.

I am traveling and have put a new SIM in my cell. Apparently, it is not unlocked. I was able to make a SIP call to AT&T international support, and the very kind person gave me an unlock code.

I was only able to try it after hanging up, and it does not seem to work :(

Is there some way to email AT&T support? Their web site mobile edition only provides phone numbers, and I am way too close to the hotel data allowance to make another SIP call.

Or, if someone has any idea how to get my phone to take this coffree, that would be great :)

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

obeyasia posted:

If you have problems or questions while roaming outside the U.S., contact AT&T by calling +1-916-843-4685 (a free call from your wireless phone).

I spoke with them again (thank you for letting me know that is a free call). The person said I have the correct code, and that is the only valid code. They are unsure why it wouldn't work, but they warned me that if it denies the code five times, that my phone will be forever disabled, or something ominous like that.

Does this all sound correct/normal? I am very :/ right now, and afraid to try again...

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Molten Llama posted:

It sounds like maybe they're giving you a PUK code (which allows you to get past a forgotten PIN), not a carrier unlock code.

At first, that is what the second person I spoke with thought I had been given, but they did verify that I am using an unlock code, not a PUK code.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
AT&T has charged me $90 for 4.5MB (seriously) of data roaming in the UK. This is most odd as data roaming is disabled on my phone and I took my SIM out as soon as I landed.

Is there any way to have this erased if I ask nicely? Why is it even possible for this to happen without opting in?

Double odd as the other two people on this account also had their phones with them and I don't think either of them even took their SIMs out, but there are no roaming charges on their lines.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Duckman2008 posted:

AT&T is having issues with international for some reason. No idea why, and it isn't official, I have just noticed issues.

That being said, ATT is honestly very good at fixing this issue. Calling in and asking should do it, stopping by s corporate store should as well (although they would have to call in anyway, so calling customer care is the better option).

I had an oddly quick and friendly call and the charges are gone. I am a bit shocked, but happy.

The poor guy insisted it was a mistake that can happen when you are near a border and connect to a tower in another country. I tried to explain I was definitely in the UK and not just inside some theoretical US border with the UK, but oh well. :p

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

obeyasia posted:

This just in, AT&T will discount your (mobile share only) plan by $15 when you do NEXT or bring your own device. Basically accounting for the difference for not having to subsidize your device. Hooray.

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=25145&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=37330&mapcode=consumer|mobile-devices

Pardon me for being dumb, but does this mean AT&T will discount a Mobile Share bill if the line is no longer under contract?

The wife hasn't upgraded her phone in well over two years.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Would some one like to verify my math here?

A 4GB 'mobile share value' plan with a 13% discount, two phones in contract, one phone out of contract, and a tablet:

(70×.87)+40+40+25+10 = $175.90 ???

Right now we have the same on "Mobile Share 6GB" plan and it comes out to $201.21 each month. Most months we use well under 2GB of data combined.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I switched plans a few days before this 10GB deal appeared. When I try to switch now, the site claims I am on the only plan available to me.

I suppose there is a limit on how frequently you can switch plans, but would customer service make an exception in this case if I ask nicely?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Duckman2008 posted:

If you are on the mobile share value 10GB plan, you are on the right plan and the system will auto switch you. If you are on the older mobile share 10GB plan then you need to switch. you absolutely can switch if needed, there are no plan switching limits.

If in doubt call care or stop by an ATT corp store. FYI you can tell at a glance which plan you are by the base part: the older plan was $120 for call/text/data and the new plan is $100.

I am on the $70 4GB value share plan.

I will give a call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I just had an old iphone activated for my dear old dad. In the settings I notice there is an "AT&T Enterprise" provisioning profile. It expires a year from today.

Is this something it is safe for me to remove or is it needed to operate on the AT&T network?

Also, not an AT&T specific question, but this is an iphone 5 and it seems to have iOS version 7.1.2. It wants to update to 10.2.1. Should I let it do this or is it going to make the device slow as dirt? We have an ipad which was given to us by the parents because it became unbearably slow to use after a major iOS update... I don't want to do the same thing here. All the old geezer cares about is being able to make a call in an emergency so I am sure he will never notice if the phone is running an old iOS.