Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

SeaborneClink posted:

Does this have to be done concurrently with an upgrade or can I just get myself some bill credits? You know how working in wireless goes, the cellphones just seem to pile up :ninja:

Officially, can be done for any reason. Depending on what store you go in, seedy wireless people will make you try to buy something. You can use the credit for your bill, yes.

Palm Pixi = zero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Is there any limit on how many per store? I see 5 per account online. I have a few old phones I'd like to do and rather not drive all over town

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
If you have a sim card from an existing iphone 4, you will need a new LTE sim card.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

Medikit posted:

Ultimately I actually received a total of $450 for my iPhone as I received a $299 refund from AMEX's extended warranty dept.

Off topic, but how painful was that procedure? I've yet to have to make a claim.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Got 2 smartphones that say they qualify on the trade in website for $100. About to take them into an ATT store. I'm on an ANR plan, so Im not upgrading or buying anything; I just want them for my bill.

How much of a fight am I going to have here?

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
It wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. Told her I was on an ANR so no upgrades. Gave me one of those "I'm not supposed to do this but..." speeches.

I have 1 more old phones. What's the policy on multiple phones? Does it tie it to my account # or anything?

edit: website allows multiples so might just do it on there

Rent fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 24, 2013

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

Anti-Hero posted:

I have an old college acquaintance who lives in another state who has decided to treat his cellphone as his personal sounding horn for all things obnoxious. Every fleeting, obscene thought that enters his head he decides to send as a mass text to everyone on his phone list. Repeated requests to have him cease are ignored.

My phone is also my work phone and I've routinely missed important messages that get buried in his spam. I don't let coworkers borrow it on job sites as I'm afraid he'll text another one of his racist macros or poop pics he finds oh-so-hilarious. This definitely counts as harassment at this point. Apparently AT&T makes a subscriber pay $4.99/month for blocking features. Is it worth my time to call CS or go in to a store and try and get them to block this one number without having to pay the subscription?

I have an iPhone by the way, so no way to block it at the phone without jail breaking (and I'm on iOS 6.1.3).

Have you thought about... explaining your situation and asking him to remove you from the group text?

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
I really need a Microcell as well, and I don't feel like begging customer service for one. They probably don't give a gently caress, since I'm on ANR.

Is it pretty simple to buy a used microcell? I see some going for about $50-80

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

Nask26 posted:

Do many people still open up extra lines for upgrades? I know financially it makes no sense but my wife's phone is destroyed and paying 650 for a new iPhone would be tough right now. We are a year out from being upgrade eligible. This would only be $10 more a month right? Plus the cost of the upgrade.

Have you thought about buying a used iPhone, or a prepaid smartphone like the Lumia 520 for $99? Does she have to have the latest and greatest for this year?

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

obeyasia posted:

I won't quit because I've been getting tuition reimbursement. But I'm really done with retail mentally. No challenges, ridiculous directives, etc..

I don't work for ATT, but the worst part of every retail jobs for me are the menial "standups", where people circlejerk nonstop. Every meeting/standup is essentially "do better, sell more. we're at 120%? not good enough, need 130%"

Finally getting more LTE in suburbs of Houston. Surprised it's taking them this long. I still can not recieve/make a phone call in my gf's apartment, but at least it has good data! No idea how that works.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

stachatoryR posted:

Hey guys I have a question about plans/upgrades:

I currently have a 4-line family plan broken down like so:
1: Mine: SG4 with Grandfathered unlimited data
2: Wifey: SG4 with 2gb data
3: Kid #1: some dumb phone with restrictions set on data (no data usage)
4: Kid #2: some dumb phone with restrictions set on data (no data usage)
1400 minutes & unlimited texting.
Our current bill runs around $260 - $270.

So for Christmas the wife and I have been talking about getting the kids smartphones/IPhones. I am looking at the mobile share stuff and it seems like it can save me some money, but I don't know if I want to give up my unlimited data. Is there anyway to do a partial mobile share plan or is that just stupid and I need to convert everything over and lose unlimited?

I don't really think I need the unlimited data, I'm just afraid of losing it for some reason. Also, the wife and I just did our upgrade +2yr a few months ago, so will that affect anything?

I doubt you use that much data. You can always check on ATT's website, but you'd be surprised at how little most people use. GF had unlimited data and was adamant about keeping it; used about 500mb a month.

There is no way to do a partial mobile share plan. Your previous upgrades only affect when you two can get new phones; has nothing to do with the kids or plan changes.

10gb data, unlimited minutes/texting for all phones: 240 before taxes. That's probably one of the better plans for your family.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

CharlesM posted:

Ahhh I made a total newbie mistake, a lot of that is in the OP, sorry!
Lumia is "Equipment Tier 3" according to AT&T. $199 deductible is crazy. I will get a SquareTrade warranty. :)

I'm kind of a typical goon nerdy fellow myself and it's still surprising when managers / people twice my age seem to lack the most basic empathy, perhaps one of the most crucial skills for interacting with customers!

Is there a Microsoft Store in your area? It's $99 for 2 years, $49 deductible. Doesn't cover lost or stolen. Nice thing about it is if you break your phone in 18 months and they don't carry 1020's anymore, you get store credit to pick out the new phone without contract extension

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

CharlesM posted:

Forgot to reply but I even meant managers in a non-profit. :v:

I called them (kinda a long & crazy drive esp. during Christmas shopping) and said they only sold it for Microsoft products... WTF. I dunno. I can't find any info on the website. I might just go for Squaretrade.

Yeah you can only buy it if you bought the phone at a Microsoft Store.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Can I buy a micro cell used on ebay and have no issues getting it on my account? I'm also on an ANR, so not sure if it's any different

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

c0ldfuse posted:

If I can't keep it there is no way I'm staying on AT&T. It's either keep me with unlimited data or I leave.

Hopefully that satisfies the need.

Thanks for info.

Do you really use that much data? Your only real options are Sprint/Tmobile, which both are just garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
One of my buddies who works as a sales rep at an ATT corporate store claims he can check any ATT phone number's history to see who they have called/text. Seems like bullshit/huge breach of privacy. Is he just bullshitting?