Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:
Man AT&T can sometimes give me the runaround. Yesterday, my data was throttled, and when I checked my usage it was only just over 2GB. Well, my plan has 5GB, or so I thought. I had the grandfathered iPhone unlimited plan. They wouldn't fix it and I was pissed, and threatened to leave. They offered me another data plan that was $15 more a month (but 1/2 off for 12 months!) and I said screw it, and switched to TMobile last night.

Today, they call me again, and now they are fine with bumping it up to the 5GB I'm supposed to have. I guess they didn't think I would just leave. So, now back to TMo to cancel everything, return my phone, and then go upgrade my i5 (I really can't stand it) to an S4.

They were just throttling me hard. I'm talking almost unusable. I tried to use Siri to get me to the TMo store, and when I finally just remembered where it was it finally caught up and just told me I had arrived at my destination. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

c0ldfuse posted:

Let me know what you think of the S4. I'm pretty much 100% sold on it already but haven't had a chance to handle.

I've had it for 2 days now, and I love it. I was always into jailbreaking my iPhone, but now I don't have to deal with that.

Not trying to start an iPhone vs. Android thing here, but since I'm coming from years of being and iPhone user it's easier to point out what is that much better.

- The screen blows away my i5's screen
- The sound quality through the headset is so much better on the S4. For a bit both of my phones were working until the network caught up, and I tried a call on the i5, then the S4 and holy poo poo did the iPhone sound terrible by comparison.
- The size I thought would be annoying, but it works well for me.
- Some of the things you can do with gestures are gimmicky, but some can be very valuable to the right people (e.g., waving your hand over the phone to answer on speaker, just picking it up and putting it to your ear to answer, and even the "reach for the phone" gesture that will show a quick lock screen with notifications).

I'd say that for someone with smaller hands it may be an issue, but not too much. Go handle one in the store. Even though they are slightly heavier than an i5 they feel lighter.

Honestly I would have switched sooner but I was waiting for an Android phone with LTE.

e: This is "step two" of my exodus from Apple products, the first being ditching a MBP in favor of using Linux full-time (already use it for work/school), and I'm much happier with my setup. Still have an iPad though so I anything iOS specific I won't miss out on.

booshi fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 16, 2013

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

skipdogg posted:

Good for you. Look I've been involved in some way shape or form with U-Verse since late 2006.

Copper based U-Verse is delivered with an interleaved line which adds some latency to the connection, there is no way to turn it off.

Copper based ADSL lines usually had interleaving turned off, and a very common complaint with twitch gamers going from legacy ADSL to U-Verse is a 20+ms increase in ping times. At a minimum it will be about ~12 ms increase. There are years of complaints online from hardcore twitch gamers getting pissed off about this.

I have a U-Verse line here at my desk in fact. Here's an example.

If I ping a demo server hosted at gameservers.com dallas location using IP 173.199.103.160

Corporate Internet: 12MS ping
U-Verse: 30MS

Not a big deal, but I'm in Austin Texas, pinging Dallas. 30ms pings are awesome by any reasonable standard.

Let's try one in Chicago. 66.232.171.202

Corp: 36ms ping
U-Verse: 56ms ping.

New York: 66.55.142.64

Corp: 51ms
U-Verse: 66ms

15 to 20ms difference on the U-Verse line compared to a non interleaved line. Hardcore gamers can and do bitch about those 20ms, and they bitch loudly. Odds are the person asking isn't a hardcore twitch gamer and maybe I could have put a little more information into my post but there is a demonstrable, and somewhat noticeable difference for certain users.

Therefore if Mr. Onslaught is a 'hardcore twitch' gamer, he's probably going to be pissed about the extra lag.

This just in! Corporate dedicated lines/plans are faster than home plans!

But seriously, if you care that much, you a) care too much and b) are just wrong in saying that it makes any real difference. The average human reaction time is ~200ms. 15ms more will not make any difference, nor one you could even perceive.

e: And every "hardcore gamer" is an idiot.

booshi fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 18, 2013

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

adorai posted:

that's a blanket statement that just isn't true. We have metro ethernet over copper pairs from frontier that has been just as reliable and just as fast as the fiber offerings from our other carriers. Without knowing it's copper ahead of time, there is no way I would be able to tell from the quality of the service.

That is true. There are some instances where copper can win over fiber optics, depending on distance, the latency from decoding the signal in fiber optics, etc etc.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

Medikit posted:

If you threaten to quit and play chicken with AT&T they will probably give you a discount on your current service which you can use to fund an android phone purchase.

Sometimes you have to follow through for it to work.

AT&T couldn't give me a straight answer on when my data would get throttled. I got answers of 2, 3, and 5GB. I was supposed to be on 5. I threatened to leave and they gave me a number to call that is basically loss prevention. I told them to give me the 5GB I had or I'd leave. They said it couldn't be done, so I went and switched. The next morning, they called offering the 5GB plus 6 months of discounts. So, I'm now back with AT&T.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

Sticky posted:

Good news, HSPA+ and LTE phones now have data working on prepaid so that means iphones and others will now work on prepaid. 65 a month for unlimited talk/text and 1GB of data and 50 a month for 250 minutes, unlimited text and 1gb of data.

Umm that's a terrible deal, especially if you already have a device. I'm guessing you mean AT&T prepaid? I have friends with much cheaper and better prepaid plans.

Honestly the best thing is to get on a family plan if you can. $40 gives me unlimited talk and text with 5GB of data, and I just have my bank set up to send that to my parents monthly.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

TheLordOfKraa posted:

So I've been on AT&T forever on an unlimited Iphone plan -- but now I'm sick IOS as was looking at swapping over to an android phone when my upgrade rolls around; anybody know if there's a way to keep my unlimited plan when I move from Iphone -> Android?

Two weeks ago I upgraded from an iPhone 5 (having been on an iPhone since the 3G) to a Galaxy S4. Data plan didn't change (grandfathered iPhone unlimited).

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

Vinlaen posted:

Yeah, I don't have texting so I end up paying a couple of dollars per text but I really don't text message very often.

I wish I jumped on that older $10/month for 500 text messages or whatever it was but now $30/month for unlimited texts is rediculously too expensive.

Please tell me you mean a couple of cents, not dollars. That would be a ridiculous way to basically force people into texting plans.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

bawfuls posted:

On the other hand, an Apple Genius Bar dude recommended meeting a craigslist seller at the Apple store so they can inspect the phone for hardware damage (obviously an iPhone specific issue). He had horror stories of people trying to sell phones on craigslist that had removed several components from inside for later resale.

Sounds like it's pick your poison, as no one is going to run around town with a stranger to two different stores just to sell a phone.

When I lived back in downtown Philly, there was an Apple store about a 10 minute walk from my place. When selling an old phone on craigslist the guy wanted to meet there also so they could check out the phone. He recommended calling AT&T to let them know the phone was changing hands. I told the guy buying it to do it if he wants and to contact me if he needed anything. Never heard anything back, so I guess it's all okay.

I've sold every iPhone I had from the 3G to the 5 until I switched to Android. Blacklisting never came up and obviously wasn't an issue because why would I do that to someone I just sold a phone to? I'm not an rear end in a top hat I just want to cover the cost of the upgrade.

When you activate a new phone for a number does it automatically disassociate the account with the old device? Or can people still call in and blacklist at that point? Just more curiosity than anything else.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

Ozmodiar posted:

I did a search in this thread for "Nexus 4" and "N4" but didn't find many results.

I'm heavily considering buying a Nexus 4 from Google Play and jumping on my Fiancee's account. It looks like a couple of people have activated N4's on AT&T, I just wanted to check and see if anyone ran into any problems.

I know that the N4 is capable of HSPA+, and I currently live & work in an LTE Market (which I would assume is also an HSPA+ market...not exactly sure how to check that...?), so my question is if there is anything in particular I need to do in order to activate the N4 and get HSPA+ speeds. ...and then how do I check to make sure I'm connecting to HSPA+ once the phone is active?

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure the HSPA+ market covers the same. They don't release maps for it anymore.

The reason you probably don't see many people discussing it is because... well why get an HSPA+ phone when on AT&T you can use LTE?

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

Anti-Hero posted:

I have an old college acquaintance who lives in another state who has decided to treat his cellphone as his personal sounding horn for all things obnoxious. Every fleeting, obscene thought that enters his head he decides to send as a mass text to everyone on his phone list. Repeated requests to have him cease are ignored.

My phone is also my work phone and I've routinely missed important messages that get buried in his spam. I don't let coworkers borrow it on job sites as I'm afraid he'll text another one of his racist macros or poop pics he finds oh-so-hilarious. This definitely counts as harassment at this point. Apparently AT&T makes a subscriber pay $4.99/month for blocking features. Is it worth my time to call CS or go in to a store and try and get them to block this one number without having to pay the subscription?

I have an iPhone by the way, so no way to block it at the phone without jail breaking (and I'm on iOS 6.1.3).

Calling can't hurt (be able to block numbers is one of the reasons I would jailbreak iPhones when I had them though, it was the best). Or, maybe you can be sneaky about it. Send out a text that since it's your work phone, you have to switch numbers. If he still keeps sending texts, get a friend (maybe the opposite sex, so he really knows it isn't you) to call him back from your phone and freak out about these texts they are getting from a stranger, threatening to call the cops maybe.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

actionjackson posted:

I switched to the 250 minute go phone plan, but now I can only by the 50 MB data package? Why?

Because that's how phone plans work? That is the cheapest go phone plan for a smart phone, so of course it's going to offer crappy data plans, so you buy a better plan.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

actionjackson posted:

Well okay, but it was pretty funny how you couldn't buy 100 MB for $10, but you could buy 50 MB for $5 each twice.

Because those are the increments, and it differentiates between that and the $5/100MB for the next plan up. Why would they list every multiple of what you can add?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

Beefstorm posted:

THIS, is going in the OP.

I'm on a family plan and while I am set up as an authorized user, they still sometimes ask me for the last 4 digits of the account holder's SSN, so that might be a good thing to know as well.

I know my dad's last 4 because of this and any time I've changed phones or anything else.