Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I got text messages on both of our devices today, "Your phone won't work once 3g goes away by Febrary 2022 and you'll need to change it".

edit: this was because our accounts had been activated on IMEIs corresponding to old devices, and we'd never bothered to actually update the IMEI information with AT&T. Fixed with a phone call.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Here is my dumb story about what I had to do to get my phone to be respected by AT&T's new network.

In the US there are at least 2 versions of the OnePlus 7T sold through Amazon with basically identical specs and identical radios. Their model numbers differ slightly. One of them is on the ATT list of approved devices for the 3g end of life, the other phone is not. I have the unlisted model.

I started getting texts indicating my phone would not be supported. I googled this issue and found the 2 model numbers and a reddit thread where someone had gotten a tech to do an override of some kind. I called a tech and explained this all, they asked for my IMEI, they said it came back as "accepted" and I was good to go.

A month later I was redirected to AT&T support when trying to make a call. I referenced the previous calls, and the tech told me "yes I see all the call notes. Look, you'll be fine once the transition happens, but, I can't stop you from getting text messages in the meantime, sorry!"

A month later, I was again redirected to AT&T support when trying to make a call, and referenced the entire previous chain of events. At this point the tech says "okay, what if I just send you a new phone? You never even need to activate it, but then if you get redirected to this workflow again, just reference this date and say you were sent a device." I pressed on this to make sure that I literally just needed to say "yes" and then throw the new device in a closet. The tech told me three times this was the case.

A week ago I got a box from ATT with some cheap Alcatel smart phone in it. I tossed it on a shelf.

Yesterday I got a text message saying that if I didn't activate my new device, I would lose the ability to make or receive calls as of 11/7 :allears:

I went to att.com/myprepaiddevice and used the "change IMEI" workflow without actually moving my sim over to the Alcatel phone at any point. I then rebooted my OnePlus 7T to verify it would still make and receive calls on a reboot after the IMEI change on the AT&T side.

Not only does the phone function, my "LTE" icon has been replaced with a "VoLTE" icon, leading me to believe that I may finally actually be all set.

Good luck out there.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Dillon2 posted:

What is a new android phone AT&T carries that can run a hotspot without it counting against my hotspot data? I can follow an XDA guide to root it and stuff but thats about it if needed

I use AT&T prepaid with a OneTouch 7T and as far as I can tell, tether data just goes against my general data plan. I basically never run out excluding poo poo like family vacations in the woods where I have data and no one else does.

I get 8gb LTE data which can rollover (to a total max of 16gb, IIRC) and it's $50/mo except it's $10 off if you do autopayments, so for $80 we have two lines, 16gb of data, unlimited talk text. When I signed up for it this was one of the better deals in town, but our geographic location also kind of locks us into ATT which actually isn't great in general here.

Edit: I take that back, I think I get 8gb a month with a total possible 16gb of rollover, if I am parsing that screen correctly?

It's basically something I never think about and I do poo poo like take Zoom calls from my maple operation or play Magic Arena on car trips (not while driving, usually).

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Charles posted:

They generally won't allow anything that's dual SIM
It's specific to the model #, there's an IMEI based whitelist

YMMV but per my last posts, my current situation is "activated VoLTE just fine on a dual sim phone that's not whitelisted (that only has one sim in it) but does have compatible radios."

I did this by getting AT&T to send me a free Alcatel phone, then used the /myprepaiddevice to "activate" that IMEI without ever switching the SIM, putting the Alcatel box back on my shelf, rebooting my OneTouch 7T and presto chango, VoLTE status. This was more than a week ago now and I've rebooted and gone in and out of range many times.

It seems to me that whether you get VoLTE on your account has to do with some bit that's set on AT&T's side along with having a compatible device, and, further, the network does not check that your device IMEI matches what's on your account. The latter is unsurprising to me because I have swapped sim cards around a lot.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Charles posted:

You have to be sure that the exact model number is on that list too.

If your technique for getting an unlisted phone keeps working that's good, but I wouldn't count it as supported.

I don't give a poo poo if it's "supported" or not. What does "supported" even mean? I am antagonistic with this company in general. Right now I have active service with VoLTE on a device that's definitely not in the whitelist:

The dumb, hosed up thing is that the HD1907 is the totally normal US version of this device. The HD1905 which is radio identical and is on the whitelist was the T-Mobile branded one (???!?!)

If they cut me off based on IMEI at some point, I will hack the IMEI on my rooted device to match the IMEI they expect, and if that stops working :shrug: I will give my money to some other stupid lovely telco. For the moment I have unlimited talk/text and 8gb of LTE data with 16gb of rollover data for $40/month, which is cheaper than anything VZ had last I looked, but, whatever, no faith, no religion.

CalvinandHobbes posted:

VoLTE seems to be the lowest tier of ATTs shenanigans. On this page: https://www.att.com/idpassets/images/support/wireless/Service-Capabilities-Unlocked-Devices-ATT-Network.pdf
oneplus 7T is listed as getting HD voice which is their marketing name for VoLTE.

Oneplus 7T 1905 is, and 1907 isn't. My guess is they had an unpaid intern put this list together, that would be a very normal thing to do in this situation.

It's a bad list, AT&T is a bad company, but almost certainly not any worse than any other American national telco.

Companies dicking me around over my ability to do "wifi calling" is deeply hilarious to me given that 90% of my voice calls are through Signal which does not give a gently caress about wifi calling capabilities, only having wifi!!

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Charles posted:

Please don't shoot the messenger! I tried to get them to support my phones and they wouldn't budge. I'm as annoyed as anyone else.

yea, sorry, I realized I sounded aggressive, which is why I did the strikethrough text but left it there.

Duckman2008 posted:

I am just here to say that while yes, it is a low bar, ATT is absolutely the worst American Telco company. Horrible to their customers and horrible to their employees.

Fair. I'd love to switch to VZ but then I don't really have local service which is a worry if one of us is on a walk in the nearby forests with the kids or something. I should re-evaluate VZ coverage here, though.