Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Turnquiet posted:

How are corporate discounts applied against mobile share plans? If I have 2 smart phones and the 4GB package and a 19% discount is it applied to the base charge, the smart phone charges, or both the base charge and the two smartphone charges?

Base charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GTJustin posted:

So I still have a month left on my contract, and I want to switch to Straighttalk. Just called at&t and they told me I'd have to pay $62 for the ETF, is there anyway I can just keep paying the $10/line (family plan+additional lines) but have them release the number?

No. Phone numbers and contracts are intrinsically connected.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The original Note only got down to $199 even after the Note 2 was released. These are COR store prices btw. Doesn't seem too likely based on that.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tenasscity posted:

Is it typical for a work/employee discount to apply only to phone minutes and not a dataplan?

That is what I was told today at a Corp store.

Yes. Unless it you have a $30.01/month non-mobile share data plan.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Beefstorm I'm pretty sure you can't get a $30 plan for the mobile hotspot, it's either $50 for the individual or $20 on the mobile share.

http://www.myattmst.com/

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

You are correct. I will amend.

Also, I had the pleasure of playing with OPUS today. HOLY CRAP. It blows PDC away. There is literally no comparison.

Oh and I got my UID. Only I don't have a password...

Just wait till all the cool poo poo you could do with OPUS is missing when you get saddled with OPUS Mobile.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Medikit posted:

I'd like to use a custom SIM while in Asia, AT&T won't unlock my phone till my 2 years are up. Any way around this?

Call and tell customer service you are traveling internationally and need to use a foreign SIM.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

quadratic posted:

I have a mobile share plan with just one line. Is there any way to add a line for just a month without having to pay an ETF when I cancel it?

Yes, dont buy a new subsidized phone when you activate the line. You will pay the activation though. Better off just getting a pre-paid if its only a month.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EbolaIvory posted:

Managers can still swap FANs right?

I guess my point is. Seems like someone at that store was lazy as gently caress.

Removing and re-adding FANs is fraud on some level according to someone I emailed about it. Ill see if I can dig up that email when I get back to work tomorrow.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Can anyone with experience having Uverse chime in? I currently subscribe to Time Warner and absolutely hate it. However, no one I know has ever went with AT&T as a cable provider so I can't ask anyone their opinion on the matter. Thanks! Oh, and if it matters, I go through AT&T for my cellphone plan.

I had it for 2 years when I lived in a neighborhood that had it available. This will all be anecdotal of course. I had only 1 ever service outage that I can recall. TV was consistently of decent quality, but i didnt have an HD TV at the time. Internet speeds are consistent with advertised. I was paying for 12mb, and sure enough I could top a torrent out at 1.2-1.3MB/s.
If you're gonna put an order in, before you do, PM me or something. I'll at least make sure AT&T delivers every possible promo and discount available.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Thanks! I certainly will drop you a line before I make an order. Having a good HD experience is at the top of my list of demands, so I think I will try to track down a little more anecdotal experiences before I pull the trigger.

Ask your neighbors. They will give you the best idea of what service will be like in your neighborhood.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Hello.

My wife and I have a MOBILE SHARE 1GB plan with TWO smartphones. I would love to tell you what we are paying for this, but since we turned off uverse last week I have not been able to view our bill online. Maybe some day it will return LOL.

I am trying to add a third line, and eventually we may add an AT&T ipad. When I login at att.com and 'Add a line' -> 'Add a line – Mobile Share' -> Select iPhone 5 -> no accessories ->

at the Rate Plans screen I select "AT&T Mobile Share(R) with Unlimited Talk & Text" with a monthly charge of $0.00 listed. The next screen is for selecting 'Data Plans for iPhone'. I suppose I want to join a mobile share group? So I enter my mobile number...

Three plans are presented. The first is our current one 'AT&T Mobile Share(R) 1GB with Unlimited Talk & Text' for $34.80 (normally $40 but corp discount, ha). It says 2 of 10 lines in group. It is missing an 'Add to Cart' button. Huh? But it does have a selected radio button, and that is the only radio button.

There is a $45 option for 'AT&T Mobile Share(R) Personal for iPhone on 4G LTE (1)'. Is AT&T really charging more for data on an iphone just because it is an iphone? I feel dumb enough buying an iphone.

Some one please explain what I can do here.

edit: and if we upgrade a line to an iphone online we have to join it to a single-user data plan and then put it back in the share plan later? And there is a $30 upgrade fee :/.

You just don't understand the pricing structure for the service you are paying for, that's all. The data bucket is $40 ($34.80 w/your discount) and then EVERY smart phone after that is $45 per line. Activations/Upgrades are $36 regardless. Good luck getting it waived. AT&T corporate just dropped a serious hammer on them and have reinforced to us retail heads that there is no waiving them.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

devoir posted:

What requirements are there for a business to qualify for a FAN discount for their employees?

5 or more lines and a tax I'd.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nask26 posted:

Wife and I currently have Gs3's were about a year into our contract, We are considering picking up HTC one's or possibly Gs4. We thought about adding 2 extra lines in the next month or so and that should allow us to upgrade each year right? Is there a better way to go if we don't want to pay full price for the phones? We have unlimited data and a really nice corp discount so we have no intentions of going to another service. If we add 2 lines that should only increase our family plan 20$?

I really hate this plan with a passion, it makes no sense. You're going to pay $552 over the life time of those two new contracts (including the $36 activation fees). Just pay the early upgrade cost. AT&T will atleast knock $100 off the retail price for starting a new contract on the existing lines even if it isnt really upgrade time yet. You can even trade in your existing phones to use towards the price of the new ones.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

For ATT reps, in case you didn't know (I didn't until yesterday ) HTC is offering the One at $249 for employees, plus a trade in of up to $249 back depending on the phone. Good deal even with out the trade in, the terms say it has to stay on your personal line for 60 days although arguably they can't track it or won't track it.

Do I gots to have an ERP or EMO for this? Can I do this on COU?

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Medikit posted:

Anyone have much success with the at&t recycle program? The top button on my iphone 4s does not work but I was hoping I could recycline it to AT&T. My other option would be replacing it for $199 and then selling the replacement.

The latter option is much better. Although, look for an independent repair place. Got one in town that will fix a button for $40 parts and labor.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

obeyasia posted:

The latter option is much better. Although, look for an independent repair place. Got one in town that will fix a button for $40 parts and labor.

I'd say no to anything that isn't specifically branded AT&T.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

skipdogg posted:

If you're a twitch gamer you're probably going to be pissed.

Cool anecdote bro.

I use Uverse Internet for online gaming all the time, with sub 50ms pings, with no issue.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EbolaIvory posted:

I guess when I was 16. These days? Nope.

I understand. But no reasonable person could tell a difference. Its all mental at those small of changes. Hell depending on the game your ping could jump 15-30 simply from server traffic.

Like I get the whole higher ping is bad. But lord the whole 15ms poo poo is ridiculous.

This, pretty much. Sure you can split hairs to prove a point, but you're still splitting hairs. There might be a marginal to non-existent difference in service.

Try it, and if it's unbearable, then switch to another provider. No big deal.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

Right before Christmas this year too. Upgrades won't matter much for us after this summer anyway, theyre changing the structure.

Fyi it seems it's already in the system, upgrades that are affected already show that their upgrade is exactly 2 years later.

What is changing so that upgrades don't matter?

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vinlaen posted:

Here's what I currently have:
code:
Primary Line
=============
FamilyTalk 700 = $60.00
Data Unlimited = $30.00

Second Line
===========
FamilyTalk 700  =  $9.99
DataPlus 200 MB = $15.00

Total is $94 after 23% discount on primary line.
If I switch to the Mobile Share plan:
code:
6 GB Shared   = $90
First iPhone  = $35
Second iPhone = $35

Total is $139 after 23% discount on 6 GB price only.
So... my options are an extra $15/month for the 5 GB tethering plan, or an extra $45/month for the mobile shared plan...

In your plan as it is, you are not factoring in the extra $20 you will add to be able to tether. Try again.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

Can folks (particularly AT&T employees) share their experiences with blacklisted phones?

Do they tend to come back eventually, or just circulate on craigslist/ebay indefinitely?

An AT&T employee told me yesterday that even if you were to buy a second-hand phone legitimately, the original owner would still always be able to call in and have the phone blacklisted. Could this be avoided by doing the purchase/transfer at an AT&T store?

This whole blacklist setup just feels unhelpful on both ends. On the one hand, I had my phone stolen on a drunk night out (yes I'm dumb), and had it blacklisted soon after. But it sounds like the chances I ever get it back are slim. Meanwhile, I'd be willing to buy a used replacement, but there appears to be no way to protect myself against getting scammed.

Why are you buying second hand? To get a discount. Discounts mean making concessions in terms of quality or warranty. If you're scared shits not gonna be legit, the only way to be sure is to buy brand new.

No loving way would I note an account regarding the sale of a phone from one person to another. Go make a contract/bill of sale and have it notarized or lawyered or whatever.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EbolaIvory posted:

Why wouldnt you? I did it all the time at AT&T and I do it all the time at sprint. I can promise you some of the dudes that would have otherwise would of reported it stolen the second they walked out of the store. People are shitheads, Rather protect good customers. Maybe its not 100% successful, But im sure it prevents some of that. You're gonna be the rep that calls and activates a soon to be stolen phone anyways, Or gives that customer a new sim or whatever the case may be. You might as well make sure it dont come back on you.

Only way to stop it is to prevent it. And you'll end up helping that customer anyways, Might as well try and sell some accessories for it.

There's nothing that could back on me regardless as we have no policy in place currently to check every customer owned device against a blacklist. Also, there's nothing official or enforce-able about a sales rep noting an account with regards to witnessing the sale of a device. I tend to err on the side of caution and not over extend myself. It seems like i'd be more likely to get in hot water when a customer gets pissed off at me after I noted his account making him believe he was free and clear. I'd rather let that heat fall on the guy who sold it to the customer.
I actually had this come up not even a week ago. Girl said she bought a iphone 5 from a friend, first test call worked. After that, got a message saying her phone was blacklisted (in whatever diplomatic jargon we use). We checked it out with RST and sure enough it was. The only recourse was to tell her to get her money back from her "friend." I can't imagine the meltdown she would have had if we told her she was good to go. ALWAYS LIMIT LIABILITY.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

Things AT&T reps really won't ever want to do.

LOL yeah. If the average customer had ANY idea of what we are expected to do with them on every interaction...

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Hello, I hope some one can assist me.

I am traveling and have put a new SIM in my cell. Apparently, it is not unlocked. I was able to make a SIP call to AT&T international support, and the very kind person gave me an unlock code.

I was only able to try it after hanging up, and it does not seem to work :(

Is there some way to email AT&T support? Their web site mobile edition only provides phone numbers, and I am way too close to the hotel data allowance to make another SIP call.

Or, if someone has any idea how to get my phone to take this coffree, that would be great :)

If you have problems or questions while roaming outside the U.S., contact AT&T by calling +1-916-843-4685 (a free call from your wireless phone).

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

corkskroo posted:

Does anyone know more about this? If I am getting it as a gift without any sort of contract (just "here, have a phone") what options do I have for unlocking? Thanks

If its any decently popular phone, you can buy unlock codes off eBay.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Siroc posted:

I'm researching Uverse for my Mom. Does the service come in through the phone wire? The AT&T store said our area is already wired for fiber. Does the AT&T guy just plug it into a phone cord, make sure it works with a device, then leave?

Do they ever have any deals to decrease the $200 installation fee?

I've PMed you.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

Just so everyone knows.

I'm just a little giddy.

I like to think of it as "less awful" than Verizon.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hughmoris posted:

Is it possible to buy a Nokia 520 and setup a GoPhone plan in an AT&T Corporate store? I have a tech-naive family member coming into town and for a few days and I'd like to help them get setup on a new phone and plan before they leave.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

frgildan posted:

I currently have a IPhone 4s with unlimited Internet. If I upgrade to the Note 3 will I have to give up the unlimited Internet?

No

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Busy Bee posted:

Currently grandfathered into a 550 minute family plan with unlimited data + texts for $145 ish a month for two lines.

Line 1: Nexus 4 with 9 months left on the two year contract.
Line 2: iPhone 4S - contract free.

I am thinking of either dropping Line 2 from my family plan and just sticking with Line 1. How would I go about this and how much should I expect to pay for what I am receiving right now? Should I theoretically cancel both lines, pay the early termination fee, and switch to T-Mobile?

$90 before tax for 450min, unlimited text, and your unlimited data plan.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nask26 posted:

Do many people still open up extra lines for upgrades? I know financially it makes no sense but my wife's phone is destroyed and paying 650 for a new iPhone would be tough right now. We are a year out from being upgrade eligible. This would only be $10 more a month right? Plus the cost of the upgrade.

Ask Apple what they will charge you for a replacement first.
AT&T can do an upgrade now and get you that $650 phone for $450.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

Am I the only one thinking about quitting because of this new comp plan? It is the 14th of September and MyComp says $184. I love AT&T but this is stupid...

I won't quit because I've been getting tuition reimbursement. But I'm really done with retail mentally. No challenges, ridiculous directives, etc..

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

keykey posted:

I have a grandfathered in unlimited data plan, I can't find any information about whether or not tethering is A-OK these days or if I will get charged for it. Anybody else possibly have this plan and know the answer? If it doesn't, then when if I tick in the tethering box in ios 7, will it automatically go out to AT&T servers and let them know I'm tethering? How does this work?

If you try to turn on tethering using the Mobile Hot-spot option on your phone, you should be prompted to contact customer care to initiate a plan that supports it, losing your unlimited plan forever.

suddenlyissoon posted:

Does att "always" offer you the discounted phone after a year? I want the 5S but I don't want to do anything that might jeopardize my getting the 6 at discounted rate too.

AT&T is no longer offering 12 month upgrades without serious intervention from customer care or a store manager. These will be the result of escalations on a grand scale. You might be able to finagle one by signing up for Uverse or Digital Life if you are lucky. Be prepared to spend more money than it's worth to accomplish a 12 month upgrade. Short answer, no.

EDIT: If you want a phone every year, buy the 5S on a NEXT program. Get insurance or Applecare+ because the phone needs to be in great condition when you trade it in.

obeyasia fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 18, 2013

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

myron cope posted:

e: Lifehacker compared all the early upgrade plans and doesn't really care for Next: http://lifehacker.com/are-early-upgrade-plans-worth-it-1369868915

NEXT makes sense if you want to buy a phone with no contract but can't afford the full retail up front. I think of it more of a lay-away system than anything else. You buy the phone a little at a time, while being able to use it, until you can afford to pay the whole thing off and do it again if you want, with no penalty for ending contract.

obeyasia fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 24, 2013

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

beefnoodle posted:

My wife has a POS Samsung Captivate with a year left to an upgrade. It's been replaced multiple times, and still sucks. I'm looking for an inexpensive new phone for her. If I buy an unlocked phone, such as this Nokia C2-01.5 can I just move the SIM? Do I need to get ATT involved at all?

I read the OP's stuff on P1 but didn't see this kind of scenario addressed. Note: I'm not necessarily going to buy that Nokia, it's just an example.

Id just go to a COR store and pick up a Nokia Lumia 520 or whatever that $79.99 Android phone is from the prepaid go phone section. Decent smartphones with no new contract.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

canyonero posted:

A couple questions. I checked the OP and back a few pages, but I'm not finding much.

3gb vs 5 gb plans: Can phones with hotspot functionality (iPhone specifically) really only use that when on the 5 gb plan?

Discounts: Can I add on an employee/student discount after my account has been activated? I may buy in store, but I don't have a college student ID, even though my college does offer a 15% discount (which I can use my email address for).

Edit: I think this answers my question about hotspot: http://forums.att.com/t5/Device-Features/Dose-AT-amp-Thotspot-work-with-data-pro-3gb/td-p/3263881

Yes and yes.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You can "upgrade" the Vita line, yes, get the phone and swap it to whatever line you want and then have the Vita line put back the way it was. This poo poo is annoying and a waste of time for COR people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PurpleJesus posted:

If I ordered a wireless charger from AT&T's website, can I return it to a corporate store?

Yes.