Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hotsauce posted:

True enough - you will still owe the balance, however if anyone consciously buys a phone that's under a NEXT plan, they deserve to be screwed.

You're an idiot if you think getting screwed is buying anything at MSRP. You're an idiot if you think lay-away or NO INTEREST financing is getting screwed. Good luck out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Powers posted:

I think saying I don't own the phone is like saying I don't own my condo or car because they are financed. I own all of them. In the case of the house and car there are liens on them. I'm not prevented from repainting the house before I pay it off, nor am I prevented from swapping a different engine into my car before paying it off. I'm obligated to pay for it and if I don't they will repossess/foreclose it, mark down my credit rating, and send any further balance to collections or seek a judgment. Unless the Next contact is truly lovely, these are my phones and I am obligated to pay for them. I believe if I cancel my service I owe them the balance right away, which also seems a little silly, but I understand that since they lose the profit on the service.

Basically they've still got you locked into basic service so the only reason to keep the phone locked is so they can profit on their inflated international plan pricing.

Like I mentioned before, when I travel I will probably just pay off the Moto X so I can get it unlocked before we go, it just seems silly to me to keep the phone locked when they still have you on the hook for either service plus the full amount of the phone, or at the very least, the full amount of the phone if you cancel service.

How can you own something you haven't paid for in their entirety? You may be trusted by some organization to use those properties unsupervised while you make payments on them, but you do not own them.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

No, he means buying on one used that's on Next/Edge/Jump. If the original owner stops making payments, you have a non-working phone with no recourse.

Oops. My bad. I misinterpreted what he was saying. Completely agree.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Powers posted:

My condo is deeded in my name. Not the bank's. My cars are titled in my name. Not the bank's. My phone doesn't have a deed or title, but if it did, I'd expect it to be in my name. Just because something isn't paid for doesn't make it any less yours, it just means that you are not thee primary beneficiary of any proceeds from a sale, and if you don't continue paying, the lienholder has a process they can go through to reclaim funds: foreclosure, repossession, or disabling the phone and sending the balance to connections.

Legally I own my cars and house, but the lenders are granted certain rights. If they owned it they could foreclose whenever they wanted, but when they do that they end up with big lawsuits and government investigations.

Oh great so you do understand. While you might quibble over terminology it sounds like the carrier has been granted certain rights to protect themselves until an obligation has been fulfilled.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Powers posted:

My original point was that they have plenty of rights without locking the phone to AT&T. Locking the phone only protects their profit on service and not the profit on the phone. The phone profit is protected by the ability to blacklist the phone and put someone into collections.

I don't agree. By not unlocking a Next phone immediately, it protects the carrier from someone getting 4 phones on phoney credit, paying a fraction of their value and selling them off in foreign markets.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

I have a question. So, my friend got a phone through AT&T Next and is paying $30/month for it. She broke the phone. What are her options now? She's been using an old phone but her mom is mad that she is paying $30/month for her to use an 8 year old phone.

Tell her that her mom is a stupid bitch for getting mad at AT&T when it was her daughter that broke the phone.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

She isn't paying $30 a month for an 8 year old phone, she is paying the remainder of the phone purchased that just happened to be lost. If you get a diamond ring from a jeweler on a 24 month payment plan and lose the ring two months in, the payments just don't go away. Same concept.

She can pay whatever the balance is to get another phone $0 down, file for insurance if she has it, or buy a phone used off eBay or wherever. If she doesn't have insurance then she was saving monthly at least.

Or, in angry but correct terms:

I want to answer more questions than I do. But I'm too angry and usually give up halfway through.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

Have you noticed a lot more pressure on numbers lately? Maybe it's just because I'm management now, but man, all I hear about lately is just numbers, and questions on why we aren't there (and that we better get there ASAP). AT&T has never been great at giving a pat on the back, but this month has just been way more intense than normal.

My location is harping myatt hard. Of all things.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Doc_Uzuki posted:

Two quick questions for you helpful ATT Goons:

Are there any bundle discounts available for Wireless + DSL?

Does my company qualify me for a discount: Summit Brewing Company

As an aside, we've had TMobile, Verizon, then TMobile again. The service where we live is atrocious but if we drive five minutes in any direction it's just fine. A switch to ATT is probably inevitable but I was curious about discounts available.

Ask your HR department about discounts, they will know.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

99% of the time when I buy anything where I have to interact with a sales person, I know more about the product than the sales person does...and I'm OK with that. I don't want a sales person bothering me anyway!
That comes across pretty smarmy. Do us all a favor then:
Buy it online. You just stepping foot into a store just to get bothered is justifying the overhead a company has to budget for, which factors into the cost of goods/services.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

Ok. So I have officially quit AT&T again. And there is zero chance I am looking back. If someone else wants to take over the OP, feel free. I will try and update it one more time to have the relevant information of today. Then I am DONE!

What caused you to wash out?

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gotenks0053 posted:

It looks like we have a Mobile Share Value 10gb plan. So would it make more sense to go with the AT&T Next program at that point?

Yes.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Powers posted:

Would someone in store be able to help me with that? And would she needs to be present?

You can do it on your own at home, don't be a turd.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Michael Scott posted:

As a former ATT honcho, can you write a rundown of what you would tell someone interested in the internal workings of their decision to abandon 2-years? I guess this applies to the industry as a whole now. I've googled quite a bit but can't find some exact reasoning from the company. Was it because people were just walking out on the contracts after buying a subsidized phone?

That's part of it. Additionally, it gives buyers a distorted view of a phones value and thus an better understanding of insurance and why it can be a good idea for some. Then there's the manufacturer's side; it was not uncommon to see 2 phones sell for the same subsidized price, but have different MSRPs. Now that consumers are more likely to buy a phone at MSRP (outright or over time) they may choose to go with cheaper phones instead of equally prices but not equal phones. This will hopefully drive the cost of phones down overtime, except iPhones because Apple doesn't give a gently caress and you'll buy their poo poo anyway.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

Someone is going to have to explain why people are upset about abandoning 2 year contracts to me...

The phone prices are the same and the carriers are offering zero interest loans on them with flexible terms. I bought my tablet on Next and I searched up and down to for the catch and I could find one.

Most customers are ignorant fuckwits.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Powers posted:

A year or two ago I got about 6 months of billing gently caress up credited. I was getting my now wife a phone on Next and taking advantage of a lower total cost by upgrading to 10 GB (since signing up on Next voided our contract). They hosed up and never did the upgrade. It took me about 6 months to realize and when I called it took a while, but they did credit me the difference. He totalled up the extra I paid, and then found recent items he could credit to me that added up to the total amount.

Whoever did that did it surreptitiously, i can almost guarantee it.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

life is killing me posted:

Is there any way to know when AT&T is actually going to bury or hang cables in one's neighborhood?
Or even if?
Would a rep even give me a timeline on upgrading lines?
Could I bitch enough at higher management to get them to just come out and do it?
Or are we just pretty much at their mercy?

No (unless you see truck out doing work), no, no, no, and yes. hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Probably gonna switch to t-mobile. Would att lower my monthly bill at all or anything if I mention that I might jump ship? or is it just bye felicia

agh but I also have an old FAN number that still gets me 20%, hmph

LOL no, especially if you have that old trashy unlimited data plan.