Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

SeaborneClink posted:

My last upgrade was 11/3/12 and my upgrade eligibility is 6/4/14 so 19 months. The other line on my account was upgraded 6/15/12and will be upgrade eligible 1/16/14, again 19 months.

They killed the 12 month upgrade on primary lines spending 100+ a month last year. Almost all of our lines through work were 100+ a month, and we were getting upgrades every 12 months, all the upgrades now are 18 months out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Duckman2008 posted:

To anyone on AT&T, the current trade in promo is really good. Most old smartphones that get a small trade in get rounded up to $100. So the 3GS would normally have a $30 trade in, but ATT will give you $100 for it. The craziest one so far is a HTC Hero trades for $2 but it gets rounded to $98.

So stop by a corp store with your old phones, you can trade it towards anything in store or a bill credit.

Even the original iPhone and iPhone 3G seem to qualify.

How does this work? I can take an old iPhone and walk out with a 100 dollar gift card, or use it to swap for a nice BT headset?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Mr. Onslaught posted:

AT&T is making me switch from my serviceable old DSL to Uverse by the end of the month, how mad should I be about this? I'm afraid of change :rubshands:

If you're a twitch gamer you're probably going to be pissed.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

obeyasia posted:

Cool anecdote bro.

I use Uverse Internet for online gaming all the time, with sub 50ms pings, with no issue.

Good for you. Look I've been involved in some way shape or form with U-Verse since late 2006.

Copper based U-Verse is delivered with an interleaved line which adds some latency to the connection, there is no way to turn it off.

Copper based ADSL lines usually had interleaving turned off, and a very common complaint with twitch gamers going from legacy ADSL to U-Verse is a 20+ms increase in ping times. At a minimum it will be about ~12 ms increase. There are years of complaints online from hardcore twitch gamers getting pissed off about this.

I have a U-Verse line here at my desk in fact. Here's an example.

If I ping a demo server hosted at gameservers.com dallas location using IP 173.199.103.160

Corporate Internet: 12MS ping
U-Verse: 30MS

Not a big deal, but I'm in Austin Texas, pinging Dallas. 30ms pings are awesome by any reasonable standard.

Let's try one in Chicago. 66.232.171.202

Corp: 36ms ping
U-Verse: 56ms ping.

New York: 66.55.142.64

Corp: 51ms
U-Verse: 66ms

15 to 20ms difference on the U-Verse line compared to a non interleaved line. Hardcore gamers can and do bitch about those 20ms, and they bitch loudly. Odds are the person asking isn't a hardcore twitch gamer and maybe I could have put a little more information into my post but there is a demonstrable, and somewhat noticeable difference for certain users.

Therefore if Mr. Onslaught is a 'hardcore twitch' gamer, he's probably going to be pissed about the extra lag.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

poemdexter posted:

According to the ATT website, my wife and I are not eligible for upgrades until November. I really want to get off this iphone and go to an android device. Am I pretty much stuck until November or can I renew early relatively easily/cheaply?

They've really cut back on that kind of stuff. You're basically stuck.

Saw something interesting today with one of my users. Logged into the corp premier page and the guy can get a full discount on any non apple phone, but iPhone's were showing half discount, not the full discount. I told him to come back in another billing cycle to see if it fixes itself.

Strange he can get the full subsidy on the new OneX but not a refurb iPhone5

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Duckman2008 posted:

Right before Christmas this year too. Upgrades won't matter much for us after this summer anyway, theyre changing the structure.

Fyi it seems it's already in the system, upgrades that are affected already show that their upgrade is exactly 2 years later.

I checked my line on our corporate premier page and I've been pushed too. I can't really complain as work pays for my line, but going from upgrades every 12 months to 18 months to a full 24 months really sucks. I hope I can be happy with my iPhone5 for a while.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

KingKapalone posted:

Just because it's faster so you can use more in the same amount of time? More convenient so you use it more? That's what I was thinking when I get a new phone.

The LTE is so fast it's not frustrating to use. That's why I find myself using more data. It's not, oh, well lets wait for this lovely HSPA to load this loving page, or youtube video endlessly buffering... gently caress it I'll just wait until I get home.

The LTE is like having WiFi everywhere you go, it was worth the upgrade of phone all by itself.

One of my best speedtests on LTE was 33.7 Mbps down, 18.4 Mbps up with a ping of 69ms on my iPhone5.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Stick100 posted:

Also the US is a very big sparsely populated country so it's very expensive to have good tower coverage. You can get decent plans for $50 months but you have to pay for your phone.

I work with some folks in the UK, and sometimes folks in Europe have a hard time realizing just how large the US is. Great Britain itself is a little smaller than the State of Oregon. If you put 60 Million people in Oregon things like public transportation and dense telecommunications become much easier to achieve at a lower price. Oregon has about 4 million people in it right now for comparison.

I took a road trip this summer from where I live in San Antonio, TX to visit family in Kansas. My UK co-workers couldn't really contemplate somewhere taking 11 hours to reach by car. The equivalent drive in Europe is Paris, France to Madrid, Spain. I don't think much of it, I'm just crossing through a single state to get there.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I have to ask how many people who worry about their 'unlimited' data actually use a ton of data? My wife has had 'unlimited' data for years and never ever wanted to give it up, the thing is she's never used more than 2GB in any month and her 3 month average is around 1.3GB. Her mom also had unlimited, and rarely uses 600MB a month.

Moved them from their old 700 min family plan with 2 lines (70), 2 lines of 'unlimited data' (60), family messaging unlimited (30) to a mobile share plan and saved a ton of money every month.

Personally I like how AT&T Next is divorcing the cell phone cost from the plan cost. People don't realize they're buying 700 to 900 dollar pocket computers, that can also make phone calls and these things cost a poo poo ton of money. Next actually works out pretty well for someone like my wife. She wants a new iPhone whenever they come out. Her standard 2 year upgrade price on a iPhone 6+ 64GB was going to be about 480 out of pocket (399, + taxes and fees), and then an extra 25 a month on the 2 year contract. Her Next 12 payment is 42.50 a month, and she can trade in after 12 months for a guaranteed 340 dollar trade in value. If it's worth more, we'll sell it ourselves, if not, we trade it in. Her 1 year out of pocket is about the same in both scenarios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Piso Mojado posted:

hello, I currently rent an AT&T uverse router/modem and want to stop for various reasons. Is there an option to do this? Like either buy the current modem/router I rent from them or purchase my own 3rd party modem and/or router?

I know this is a week old, but no, with U-Verse you have to use the AT&T supplied modem and I'm pretty sure you can't buy them outright since they don't work with any other service.