Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
AT&T is making me switch from my serviceable old DSL to Uverse by the end of the month, how mad should I be about this? I'm afraid of change :rubshands:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
I've talked to three different AT&T people today and all have told me conflicting information, maybe someone here can help.

I want to buy an iPhone 5c as a gift to replace a beat to poo poo iPhone 4, which started off its own host of problems. I think I have most of them resolved (got the last 4 digits of her social without her realizing it's for an upgrade, etc). Wal-Mart is selling the 16GB 5c for 45 bucks this weekend if you sign up for a 2 year contract, so I called AT&T and gave her account info and asked if she was eligible for an upgrade. She isn't until May 2014 which makes no sense to me since the phone is definitely more than two years old, but whatever.

First dude I spoke to told me I can "tack on" 2 more years to her existing plan and get the phone for the 45 dollar sale price. That seemed like total bullshit so I called again, next guy said "you just can't upgrade it period, go to an AT&T store and hope for a sale" and basically didn't have anything else to offer. Third guy said I can go into the Wal-Mart during the sale, have them call AT&T from the store to help set up the 2 year contract and override her upgrade date or something, and everything from there will be hunky-dory. He put a note on her account for the next rep that gets a call to let them know that this is what I am doing.

It still sounds fishy, and I suspect I'm going to go in and the store will call AT&T and say it's only a partial discount or something. When I tried calling Wal-Mart, they didn't even remotely understand what I was trying to say. By any chance have any of you ever upgraded your phone early through a non-AT&T store and had it go smoothly?

Assuming that works I still dunno how the transition will go. Is there a way to make it so the phone won't activate until I actually give it to her, preferably around Christmas?

This is a lot of jumping through hoops to save like 50 bucks, but she is resistant to upgrading her phone even though I know she would like a new one so I'm trying to make a surprise and this deal seems like the best thing to jump on at the moment.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

I pay the phone bills in our house so it isn't "creating a responsibility" for anyone except myself. Also, I didn't know trying to take advantage of a good sale meant you couldn't afford the item at full retail price, thanks for all your constructive help.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

Recently married so I could probably get myself as an authorized user on the account, but that might raise suspicion. Pretty sure the thing you mentioned about customer service making a note on the account is what the third guy did for me today, I'll try it out and see what happens I guess.

I didn't think it would be that uncommon for phones to be bought as gifts, but I guess I didn't consider the situations where you are obligating someone to pay for a contract. When most people buy phones as gifts is it the full unsubsidized price/unlocked? Yikes.