Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

New thread!

I got my first bill on the new shared plan and it seems I've been had. When I was at the store (official AT&T, not authorized reseller), I was asking about insurance because my girlfriend likes to literally burn money. The associate said she'd put the extra $3 package on at no charge for a month and then she'd take it off. Well, the extra $3 is on there, and not credited at all. I'm kind of annoyed about the $3.30 (1 month + prorated 3 days), since I didn't want it at all. Given that I have nothing in writing to back up the fact that she said I wouldn't be charged, and that the service has already been removed, is it even worth my time to try to get the $3.30 credit on principle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

EbolaIvory posted:

So new lines and quality metrics just like sprint.

That will be nice. Our Att here we were 100 lines a month for goals. It was retarded.

My experience with Sprint and the quality metrics was that we were informed by the customer rep how to answer all the questions properly. I'm not in the business, nor have I ever been in a job where the customer ultimately holds control of pay (tips, commission, etc), but it's a load of bullshit if the reps need to get unreasonably high scores, such that they coach customers on the proper answers. The guy was not very helpful and he did not get the answers he was looking for.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Vinlaen posted:

Has anybody voluntarily switched off an unlimited data plan?

I'm using an iPhone 5 with grandfathered unlimited data, but I want to be able to tether. I did jailbreak in the past to get "free" tethering but once I hit 5 GB they throttled me to EDGE speed which is almost unusable.

So... if they throttle at 5 GB, what's the point of keeping "unlimited" data?

I'm thinking about switching to the $50/month 5 GB plan which includes tethering (because the mobile shared plan is much more expensive for me and my wife)

I gave up my unlimited for 6gb mobile share when I added my girlfriend. It saves a total of $20/mo from when she was on Sprint, and gets me tethering, and unlimited (I was always close on minutes and texts and was needing to up my plan).

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

So, I just want to run a "to good to be true" check with the folks in this thread, but skimming back it looks like this is True.

Right now I pay ~$160/mo with tax on a 6 GB plan, two smartphone lines, and insurance on one phone, and 22% discount. My girlfriend broke her GS3 screen yesterday so today I checked in at the local AT&T corporate store because when I looked online, Next seemed "to good to be true". Well, in store, that story didn't change. Brian (the dude that works for AT&T) said that I can upgrade from 6GB to 10GB and get a Moto X under the Next plan (18 mo upgrade cycle) and basically walk out with $4/mo off my bill and the new phone. He says this is somehow better for AT&T because numbers, and I didn't really understand that thought process, but I know that this is better for me.

Did AT&T really make changes that actually give me better pricing? Am I just dreaming? I was also at a Comcast branch office today and the guy helping me transfer some email addresses from one account to another said he could reduce my bill for me. Is this opposite day where somehow I get to stick it to The Man?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Beefstorm posted:

As for Comcast, you are most likely getting screwed.

You were so right, dude.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Is there a legit way to get a Moto X first gen that was purchased on Next unlocked, other than paying off the phone? May be going overseas with my fiance, I've got a Nexus 5, but she picked up the X earlier this year on Next. Might be worth just paying it off when we take the trip anyway.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Duckman2008 posted:

Probably not. You can call and ask customer care.

It just seems silly that they broke apart the service and phone to be separate. I won't pay an ETF if I were to switch to TMo, but I'd be stuck paying for the phone, which makes sense. Paying installments on a phone and it's still not yours. I guess just locking phones at all still seems silly to me unless they're giving out phones with no way to recapture that cost, but contact upgrades have an ETF, and Next has the obligation to pay for the phone, so why lock it? Aside from customer protectionism, that is.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

How long is the $150 credit for porting a line good for? I'm trying to move my cousin from some $40/mo Walmart service to a $15/mo line on my plan. Even with a Moto G on next, she's saving ~$15/mo.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Beefstorm posted:

Yes, I control the global shortage of 64gb 6+'s and I purposefully wants your 13 year old to not get it for Christmas.

You are evil, man.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Next has been a good choice for me. My only complaint is that you pay full price and the phone isn't unlocked, but it's basically 0% financing on an off-contract phone. If I could have paid $16/mo instead of $400 for my N5 with the option to pay it off at any time, why not? The fact that I save monthly since it's not subsidized makes it a no brainer.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

obeyasia posted:

You can get it unlocked after you're done paying for it. Not sure why you'd expect it be unlocked from the jump, if I'm understanding you properly.

Because I'm not obligated to continue paying ATT for phone service, but I am obligated to pay the rest of the phone off. By not unlocking it, you're under an implicit service contract, just with a different ETF.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

obeyasia posted:

So you want to unlock a phone you don't own and haven't paid for? That's silly.
AT&T is doing you a giant favor by letting you finance a phone at 0% over up to 30 months. If those terms aren't agreeable, then buy it outright up front, then you can unlock it anytime. You aren't entitled to an unlocked phone until its paid for entirely.

http://www.fcc.gov/device-unlocking-faq

I think saying I don't own the phone is like saying I don't own my condo or car because they are financed. I own all of them. In the case of the house and car there are liens on them. I'm not prevented from repainting the house before I pay it off, nor am I prevented from swapping a different engine into my car before paying it off. I'm obligated to pay for it and if I don't they will repossess/foreclose it, mark down my credit rating, and send any further balance to collections or seek a judgment. Unless the Next contact is truly lovely, these are my phones and I am obligated to pay for them. I believe if I cancel my service I owe them the balance right away, which also seems a little silly, but I understand that since they lose the profit on the service.

Basically they've still got you locked into basic service so the only reason to keep the phone locked is so they can profit on their inflated international plan pricing.

Like I mentioned before, when I travel I will probably just pay off the Moto X so I can get it unlocked before we go, it just seems silly to me to keep the phone locked when they still have you on the hook for either service plus the full amount of the phone, or at the very least, the full amount of the phone if you cancel service.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

obeyasia posted:

How can you own something you haven't paid for in their entirety? You may be trusted by some organization to use those properties unsupervised while you make payments on them, but you do not own them.

My condo is deeded in my name. Not the bank's. My cars are titled in my name. Not the bank's. My phone doesn't have a deed or title, but if it did, I'd expect it to be in my name. Just because something isn't paid for doesn't make it any less yours, it just means that you are not thee primary beneficiary of any proceeds from a sale, and if you don't continue paying, the lienholder has a process they can go through to reclaim funds: foreclosure, repossession, or disabling the phone and sending the balance to connections.

Legally I own my cars and house, but the lenders are granted certain rights. If they owned it they could foreclose whenever they wanted, but when they do that they end up with big lawsuits and government investigations.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

obeyasia posted:

Oh great so you do understand. While you might quibble over terminology it sounds like the carrier has been granted certain rights to protect themselves until an obligation has been fulfilled.

My original point was that they have plenty of rights without locking the phone to AT&T. Locking the phone only protects their profit on service and not the profit on the phone. The phone profit is protected by the ability to blacklist the phone and put someone into collections.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Can I get an opinion from the ATT employees?

I brought my cousin to a corporate store on 11/28 to get her a Moto G. She was paying $30/mo on StraightTalk for a dumb phone with limited minutes. She wanted a smartphone, so I figured I can put her on my account and she'd pay $24/mo pretax for unlimited talk and text and would have the smartphone, too. I was planning to get the $150 port-a-number credit.

At the store we wait an hour for an associate. It was busy, and we expected a wait. Once we have an associate, we start the process, and he told us StraightTalk was a pain to port from. An hour and a half later, the number is ported and on a line on my account, and when he goes to put the installment plan on it he can't for reasons (it was unclear to us). He tries adding a new number, putting the phone on that, and then moving the ported number to that line, but it doesn't work.

At this point, we've been at the store for over two and a half hours. He tells us it will probably take another hour and a half to get the phone with the ported number, and something about adding a line with no number and getting a manager override. My cousin decides she doesn't love her number that much, and takes the new one.

Today I get an email about our new insurance coverage. I didn't order insurance coverage, but apparently the associate put the $10/mo coverage on a $180 phone without asking us or telling us. I call up to get that fixed and that's when I realize that we probably won't get the $150 credit because technically we didn't check all the boxes. We ported a number (which we then canceled after an hour and a half) and we added an installment plan on a new line.

I talked to a rep on the phone about it and she says I'm not eligible and I ask for a supervisor. The supervisor says she'll call me back in 10-60 minutes and three hours later, no call. I call back and get a rep that was actually quite helpful. He reviews the notes and speaks with a supervisor and tells me I can get the credit if we port the number, since it is in their system as available. At this point, though, my cousin has disseminated her new number and changed it everywhere relevant, and she doesn't want to switch it back and have to undo everything she just did. The rep says that's the only way to get the credit, and I ask him to note everything and tell him I'll call again when I have more time to speak with a supervisor. He was very nice about it.

Is this worth pursuing? We didn't want a new number, but the associate scared us off from waiting another hour and a half (and added unwanted insurance, to boot!). We actually waited out the annoyingly long process for them to port the number, but didn't want to wait longer for a work around to some dumb ATT system issue. I feel like I deserve the credit because we expended the effort to meet the requirements. I don't want to spend hours on the phone to keep getting told I won't get the credit, though. What are the chances I can get a favorable outcome?

carticket fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 3, 2014

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Beefstorm posted:

Call retention. They are good at fixing stuff like this. Explain the situation to them and tell them you would rather just cancel the line.

Aaaaaaa! I always hate doing this because I feel like I'm playing chicken and I'll say "yeah, I just want to cancel it" and they'll reply with "done!"

How do I get to retention? I think they helped when an associate hosed up and never changed my rate plan, which I found out was costing me $5/mo. They went in and credited me with the difference for the months I should have been at the other rate.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Beefstorm posted:

If you PM me your phone number, I will get you directly connected. If you are scared of strangers, just call care and ask to be transferred there.

Easiest way to make sure they don't ACTUALLY cancel it, is to just explain the situation to them, and instead of asking to cancel, ask what they can do to help you.

This, I can do. I probably won't call until Friday when I have the day off, so I'll just call up customer care.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

smackfu posted:

If you only have one phone and are using 5 GB, the unlimited plan is still a better deal than Mobile Share Value, which would be $110 for 6 GB.

If you have a good discount and aren't on contract, the 10gb plan could be under $100. I get 22%, so if it were just me it would be $78+$15=$93+tax&fees. If you actually use more than 5GB regularly, it may be worth paying $30/mo more (I was paying somewhere around $60 before tax & fees when I still had unlimited single line). It also gets you legit tethering.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I have like 22% off through my previous employer. Do they not give discounts this big anymore?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Two questions: going to Iceland next month for my honeymoon, and I want to get my fiance's XT1058 Moto X 2013 unlocked. ATT won't do it, because it's still on Next. I don't want to pay it off because she wants to replace it, and the payoff vs trade in is greater than we can expect to get selling it. Are there any reputable unlock sites? Do they actually work? And will that screw up our ability to trade in the phone?

Second question: my cousin is on my MobileShare plan. Her portion (line + installment) is $25. I've set her up as an authorized user. Can she make partial payments of $25 direct to ATT rather than mailing me checks?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Duckman2008 posted:

I don't have an answer for unlocking.

Yes, you can create a secondary My ATT app and she can login and pay a partial amount.

Would someone in store be able to help me with that? And would she needs to be present?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

When you hit your upgrade eligibility on a Next plan, can you just turn in the phone and BYO at that point?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I just want to say Passport plans are dumb. I planned to add a $30 plan on my wife's line and in Iceland she was going to tether mostly through my Nexus 5 with a local SIM, but I destroyed my Nexus the week before leaving and I fell back to my "unlocked" One X. I added the passport plan to her line and bought a NOVA.is SIM card for my phone only to find out it was NOT unlocked.
So, when we checked in I called ATT to upgrade her to the $60 Passport plan, but you can't upgrade. Once you add a plan, that's it. You can replace it and pay more, but the unused data goes poof.

Since getting back, we bought a Moto X Pure Edition to replace her phone and I replaced the broken parts on mine, so we're both fully unlocked. Once November rolls around I get to try to turn in her old Moto X and terminate our involvement with Next.

We ended up paying only $136 in international data, which was my $60 300MB plan, and her $30 120 MB plan, plus $45 in overage data, and $1 in voice calls. It would have only been $121 if I had gone straight to the $60 plan for her. Not being able to upgrade it is dumb.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

15 for $100 was a free upgrade at one point. I'm glad they've made that standard.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Can a sim card or bad provisioning be responsible for bad service and dropped calls? My wife had service issues at her work where there is almost no signal inside, and outside and has good signal until she places a call, then it almost disappears. I go up there and have no problems at all.
We replaced her 2013 Moto X with a 2014 Moto X and she still has the same problem. The only thing in common between the phones is manufacturer and SIM card.
It's really frustrating because the call quality is unusable, with only about half the audio coming through. We reported it to ATT, but they either didn't find a problem there or just sent a text saying something about improving the network in that area (about a year ago).
Last time we called ATT about this, they just insisted that they've had network outages in our area, except it's an ongoing problem for 9 months at that point.
The network map shows good service, Sensorly shows good service, I have good service. I'd suggest a microcell for her work, but she has sections of her commute where it drops out as well, and her works internet connection is wireless between two buildings and would probably have similarly patchy audio.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I did some reading and there was a Canadian carrier with a batch of SIMs that actually did something similar to what I'm describing. I didn't think the SIM would actually cause reception issues, but something like bad provisioning, or something wrong with authentication that caused the phone to get booted off the correct tower. I'm grasping at straws because I have no other explanation.

Moto X 2013 & 2014 both have issues with her SIM. Nexus 5 works fine with mine. I haven't tried swapping SIMs at all to see if the problem goes away, though.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Well, you'd be looking at $115 for 15 GB "unlimited" in that case, and I think for a lot of people still on unlimited post less than that for 22GB "unlimited".

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Why put money down on an interest free loan? You can always take that 30%, find something better to do with it (even if it just sits in a non-interest bearing account of yours), and if you want to shorten the term by 30%, pay the money out at the end.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Nexus 5X will be out at the end of October I believe at $379 if you don't want a giant phone.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

CharlesM posted:

Is there a way to tell how much the 950 or 950 XL will cost if I have an AT&T Next plan yet? Purchased a Lumia 1020 in December of 2013.

Approximately MSRP of phone / months of Next.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Rollover data is only valid for one month, so your previous month's underrage will cover the current month's overage.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

smackfu posted:

We added my sister-in-law to our family plan, and she previously had a Net10 phone. We were trying to port the number but the guy at the AT&T store said it was a pain-in-the-rear end but he would do it if we wanted to wait an hour and possibly fail. Then my sis-in-law mentioned that the Net10 plan wasn't active and he said it wasn't possible at all.

The second part seems totally valid to me, but any experience on the first part?

(This is just academic since we ended up just getting a new number, because she didn't care about the bill credit and we didn't really care to spend any more time on it.)

This happened to me with my cousin. She had something, I thought StraoghtTalk but it had been something else. The rep was a douche and it was taking forever, so my cousin just decided to get a new number, which meant I didn't get a $75 credit for porting in a number (still got $125 from Bank of America for adding a line, though). It turned out the rep put insurance on the phone which we explicitly said no to (Moto G 2nd gen, so cheap).

So, in other words, it does sound like it is more work, we spent a while on speakerphone with some corporate call center trying to get the number ported.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

A year or two ago I got about 6 months of billing gently caress up credited. I was getting my now wife a phone on Next and taking advantage of a lower total cost by upgrading to 10 GB (since signing up on Next voided our contract). They hosed up and never did the upgrade. It took me about 6 months to realize and when I called it took a while, but they did credit me the difference. He totalled up the extra I paid, and then found recent items he could credit to me that added up to the total amount.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

obeyasia posted:

Whoever did that did it surreptitiously, i can almost guarantee it.

Very possible. I was just sharing it as a counterpoint. Even if the policy is just 3 months. I think it would be really difficult with insurance though, since you were covered for that time. I was paying more and not getting the benefit I should have been.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

What is the least expensive option for a non-smartphone? I'm adding a kid to my plan and I've only ever researched smartphones. I'm guessing it's probably something on Amazon, but I just want to make sure that ATT doesn't have some stellar deal where I can add a line and get a flip phone for $2 or something.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Maneki Neko posted:

Just add a line and buy a gophone?

Sounds like a plan.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Thanks for the GoPhone tip, friends. Got a flip phone for $15 at Best Buy and dropped in a free SIM from a corporate store.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Is that a bump I can call and get? I'm on 15 GB right now which is more than enough, but I would never turn down bumping to more for the same money.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Endless Mike posted:

If you're using that much data, probably not unless you *really* want to be able to tether. A 15 GB plan (there's nothing between 6 GB and 15 GB) will be $115 before taxes plus the cost of the phone.

If you have a FAN discount, it may be cheaper. I have 22% so that comes right off the $100 data bucket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Busy Bee posted:

I currently have a 2 line family plan with a 15% or 20% corporate discount from my previous job. In a few weeks I am planning on cutting down the family plan to just only 1 line which from my research will come out to be $45/month. If I downgrade to 1 line, do you think I will still be able to retain my corporate discount?

I am still using my FAN discount from a job I left 8 years ago, and I've made a lot of account changes over those 8 years, but I'll probably switch soon. I think my new employer is 1-2% better discount.