Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
That review reminds me of the original monster hunter's reviews in the US. It was practically universally panned by idiots who even would proudly admit having played 0 multiplayer or having quit before beating great jaggi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Coolness Averted posted:

That review reminds me of the original monster hunter's reviews in the US. It was practically universally panned by idiots who even would proudly admit having played 0 multiplayer or having quit before beating great jaggi.

Jaggi wasn't even in the original MH, scrub exposed

Newbies not realizing target lock exists is a pretty common occurrence, I wonder if they should make it so that target lock automatically applies to the first monster you see (with an option to change it back to the old behavior in options)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Notorious QIG posted:

Drinking a potion takes a long time to force you to find safety first.
The best part is that the guy says he likes Dark Souls, which also has a stand-still healing-item animation you're locked into. And I'd imagine it's for the same reason: so you don't just spam healing during a fight.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Detective No. 27 posted:

Capcom should just send a Monster Hunter personal trainer to every reviewer/new player to show them the ropes.

Send JK Simmons

Pyronic fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 10, 2015

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Evil Mastermind posted:

The best part is that the guy says he likes Dark Souls, which also has a stand-still healing-item animation you're locked into. And I'd imagine it's for the same reason: so you don't just spam healing during a fight.

And like the second Dark Souls, you have ways to mitigate the length of the animation: namely, armor skills. Dark Souls does let you cancel out of attacks but the vast majority of the time when you do something in that game you have to commit, just like in Monster Hunter. Neither game is a button-masher.

greth
Nov 12, 2008

Does it trouble your mind the way you trouble mine?

tower of druaga posted:

New localization blog
http://www.capcom-unity.com/reno/blog/2015/02/10/monster-hunter-4-ultimate-localization-a-helping-hand

Also reviews are going up. Surprise: it's a good video game

"If a player is ready to depart it’ll show the quest name or quest type, and if they’re in the middle of a quest it’ll show the quest name plus time elapsed."

Oh thank god.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Notorious QIG posted:

And like the second Dark Souls, you have ways to mitigate the length of the animation: namely, armor skills. Dark Souls does let you cancel out of attacks but the vast majority of the time when you do something in that game you have to commit, just like in Monster Hunter. Neither game is a button-masher.
Speaking of which, I'm always amazed that the Dark Souls crowd isn't more into the MH series, since they're both built around player skill and understanding how to exploit things like dodge-cancels and attack tells.

Although the fanbases seem to be very much the opposite of each other. I've watched streams of people playing both games for the first time, and MH streams are full of friendly advice and helpful info, whereas DS watchers seem to lean on "GIT GUD", don't like to give hints, and yell at people for not seeing things coming.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Speaking of which, I'm always amazed that the Dark Souls crowd isn't more into the MH series, since they're both built around player skill and understanding how to exploit things like dodge-cancels and attack tells.

Although the fanbases seem to be very much the opposite of each other. I've watched streams of people playing both games for the first time, and MH streams are full of friendly advice and helpful info, whereas DS watchers seem to lean on "GIT GUD", don't like to give hints, and yell at people for not seeing things coming.

I bought MH3U because I heard it was "like Dark Souls" and while they're pretty different I like them both a lot :shrug:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

today's videogame reviewer is a fat babyman who likes minecraft. Dark souls is like 5x easier than monster hunter and reviewers still cried that it was unfairly difficult for the sake of being difficult.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Dark souls is like 5x easier than monster hunter
You think so? I admit I gave up on DS because I got fed up with dying to bosses then spending a bunch of time fighting my way back to them just to die again, whereas I've put like 150+ hours in 3U.

I suppose it's more a case of MH being more forgiving when it comes to learning fights; more "okay, get back in there and try again!" than "redo the last 5 or so minutes until you get it right".

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I played Dark Souls after Monster Hunter and like them both, but Dark Souls encourages a completely different kind of thinking an punishes the player much harder for mistakes. Also the multiplayer is way less focused on co-op and much more on pvp, which would explain the relative dickholery of DaS players. Just look at the DS2 thread here, there's a lot of chat about getting an recently added item to stop getting souls exclusively so they can gently caress with newbies more.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Neo_Crimson posted:

I played Dark Souls after Monster Hunter and like them both, but Dark Souls encourages a completely different kind of thinking an punishes the player much harder for mistakes. Also the multiplayer is way less focused on co-op and much more on pvp, which would explain the relative dickholery of DaS players. Just look at the DS2 thread here, there's a lot of chat about getting an recently added item to stop getting souls exclusively so they can gently caress with newbies more.

The theme of Dark Souls is that you're an undead living in a dying world and maybe through your actions you can delay that death just a little bit longer. Literally everything in the game is designed to feel oppressive, including the PvP design. It's really good at getting this across, which is the main reason it's popular.

Monster Hunter, on the other hand, is about teaming up with friends to stab dinosaurs to make hats.

What I'm trying to say is there's a reason the MonHun community is friendlier.

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

You guys do realise that part of the reason that Monster Hunter is such a niche series (in the west) is that a lot of people don't enjoy it? This isn't just some "lol reviewers" thing, but an opinion that's shared by many. I mean, most of my friends who play games only have a few hours a week they can actually devote to gaming, so the thought of spending tens of hours in a game before you can enjoy it sounds crazy to them. Related: I'm very glad 4U has proper online MP for 3DS.

Evil Mastermind posted:

You literally just have to look back one page to see goons mocking a guy for not being good enough at Monster Hunter.

Balbanes
May 21, 2007
44z red pots~

Rage McDougal posted:

You literally just have to look back one page to see goons mocking a guy for not being good enough at Monster Hunter.

To be fair, the guy was using the god drat stylus to manipulate the camera. Most of the complaints related to the handheld itself and not using any of the dozen or so options that make the controls easier.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Rage McDougal posted:

You guys do realise that part of the reason that Monster Hunter is such a niche series (in the west) is that a lot of people don't enjoy it? This isn't just some "lol reviewers" thing, but an opinion that's shared by many. I mean, most of my friends who play games only have a few hours a week they can actually devote to gaming, so the thought of spending tens of hours in a game before you can enjoy it sounds crazy to them. Related: I'm very glad 4U has proper online MP for 3DS.

No the reviewer said the game was bad because it was hard.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Evil Mastermind posted:

You think so? I admit I gave up on DS because I got fed up with dying to bosses then spending a bunch of time fighting my way back to them just to die again, whereas I've put like 150+ hours in 3U.

I suppose it's more a case of MH being more forgiving when it comes to learning fights; more "okay, get back in there and try again!" than "redo the last 5 or so minutes until you get it right".

i've always been much worse at monster hunter because its a boss fight over a long period of time and the stakes are way higher. a hunt takes long enough for me to just get lazy or greedy or lose focus, and if you lose then you like fully lose. In dark souls each challenge is much shorter and you keep everything but your held souls when you die.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
I tend to think that the notion to "git gud" is assumed and ran with to great extents in Monster Hunter because how else are you going to chop off that tail if you don't? There is always getting better. It's a much friendlier thought than "git gud" to complete the game.

Case In Point: My brother had trouble with Yian Kut-Ku back in MHFU days. By trouble, I mean, he wiped multiple times. After running it with friends once, he found 3 things: he wasn't bringing enough healing, he was constantly gunning for the head as a DS user and he forgot to eat meat. He was fine running solo after that.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Rage McDougal posted:

Not for being bad at monster hunter, but for being bad by not understanding deliberate design decisions

Or hey you can rewrite history that's cool too

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I'd never want the potion animation to change, but I wonder how reviews like that (and, to a lesser extent, players like that reviewer) would differ if the flex was removed, and instead the character sat around chugging for the same amount of time. It seems like tge complaint is never "drinking a potion takes a long time," but rather "I have to do this pose after I'm done drinking the potion."

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Funkmaster General posted:

I'd never want the potion animation to change, but I wonder how reviews like that (and, to a lesser extent, players like that reviewer) would differ if the flex was removed, and instead the character sat around chugging for the same amount of time. It seems like tge complaint is never "drinking a potion takes a long time," but rather "I have to do this pose after I'm done drinking the potion."

This is kind of why I love how felvine might bombing has become a thing.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Oh, also, that dude totally deserves to be mocked. Not only does he not understand Monster Hunter, he doesn't even understand the concept of the touch screen. He literally complained that you need to use the stylus to move the camera.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Funkmaster General posted:

They'd never do that, though. You get the effect of the potion as soon as the drinking portion of the animation completes. They want you to get that heal, but still be vulnerable for a little longer after that. I mean, I suppose you could change it so they're still drinking and the heal applies halfway through, but then the beef would be "WHY DO I STILL NEED TO KEEP DRINKING AFTER I GET HEALED CAPCOM IS loving US AGAAAAAAIN"

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Haquer posted:

Not for being bad at monster hunter, but for being bad by not understanding deliberate design decisions

And also not going through the tutorials and in-game documentation.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

G-Prime posted:

They'd never do that, though. You get the effect of the potion as soon as the drinking portion of the animation completes. They want you to get that heal, but still be vulnerable for a little longer after that. I mean, I suppose you could change it so they're still drinking and the heal applies halfway through, but then the beef would be "WHY DO I STILL NEED TO KEEP DRINKING AFTER I GET HEALED CAPCOM IS loving US AGAAAAAAIN"

PSO2 does healing in this way and literally nobody complains about it

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Monster Hunter just isn't for everyone guys.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

dragon enthusiast posted:

Pso2 also isn't reviewed by many mainstream western game outlets. Weird I know, but true

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Countblanc posted:

Pso2 also isn't reviewed by many mainstream western game outlets. Weird I know, but true

This. PSO2 isn't a very good example because it still hasn't gotten a western release at all. The people who play it (and review it) are die hard series fans who are going to abnormal lengths to play it.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Even though that dude gave MH4U a bad review with very little attempt to understand the game, I am incredibly excited for the game.

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

Haquer posted:

Or hey you can rewrite history that's cool too

Maybe I was inferring too much, but I considered "he doesn't understand the design decisions" as synonymous with "he's bad at the game", since skill and knowledge are both super important in MH. Sorry if I (ironically) didn't understand a point about not understanding something!

Bread Set Jettison posted:

No the reviewer said the game was bad because it was hard.

Yes he did. And lots of people don't want to play a game that's very hard and takes a long time to git gud at. I don't see the problem here.

Balbanes posted:

To be fair, the guy was using the god drat stylus to manipulate the camera. Most of the complaints related to the handheld itself and not using any of the dozen or so options that make the controls easier.

My bad, I totally missed that part. That is just stupid.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Even though that dude gave MH4U a bad review with very little attempt to understand the game, I am incredibly excited for the game.

Well at least we can definitely agree on that!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I hope the bad review from the sad baby doesn't cost anyone a bonus or something. I know there's bullshit in the industry like "You only get a bonus if the game gets 90 or higher on Metacritic."

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Lemming posted:

I hope the bad review from the sad baby doesn't cost anyone a bonus or something. I know there's bullshit in the industry like "You only get a bonus if the game gets 90 or higher on Metacritic."

i don't think the japanese devs are gonna be quite that concerned with a western ratings site.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Lemming posted:

The only time that happened was with Obsidian getting into this weird contract with Bethesda. Despite being Capcom, I doubt they would do this since MH4 is already pretty popular in Japan.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Apparently some Wal-Marts are already selling the game. Go forth and hunt

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Polygon review is up, score is 8.5/10: http://www.polygon.com/2015/2/10/8007853/monster-hunter-4-ultimate-review-new-3ds-xl

Bonus quote:

quote:

Capcom has made it easier than ever to get the materials you need for basics like mega potions, thanks to a special vendor that can multiply your herbs, mushrooms and other necessities.

:captainpop:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Notorious QIG posted:

Bonus quote:

:captainpop:
Oh thank god, I loving hated waiting for poo poo to grow in the farm when I realized I was running low on potions.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
The rest of the paragraph:

quote:

It's not as simple as just buying items; the vendor takes time to ship your items out and receive duplicates back, so it still requires thinking ahead and creating a long-term strategy for what you'll need. It's an elegant expansion of the concept of farms from previous Monster Hunter games, and it gets rid of some of the more mind-numbing tasks without lessening the game's focus on preparedness.
So it's basically a simpler version of the farm.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Thoom posted:

Pssh, context :rolleyes:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Thoom posted:

Aw, man. :( Still, as long as it doesn't take as long as the drat farm did, I'll be okay with it.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

EUGH friday get here sooner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh thank god, I loving hated waiting for poo poo to grow in the farm when I realized I was running low on potions.

In light of this page's context, maybe you should git gud and not need so many potions. :v:

Apparently some Wal-Marts are already selling the game. Go forth and hunt

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Amazon, ship it sooner. :(

• Locked thread