Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009

Alhazred posted:

Some Norwegian delicacies:
Lutefisk:

It might not look all that bad until you learn that lut is Norwegian for lye. It's fish soaked in lye.

I have Norwegian grandparents and had to eat this constantly growing up. It's far and away the worst "food" item in this thread thus far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009

Alhazred posted:

You sound like a person that has never eaten (or smelled) rakfisk: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakfisk

I have not. Is it worse than lutefisk? Is such a thing even possible? What is it with Scandinavian food? A lot of Korean food is based around pickling and fermenting too but Korean food is great. How does Norway just get it so wrong so often?

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009

modernwinglish posted:

Cheeseburger casserole:

I nearly forgot about the abomination that's enjoyed all over the Midwest and Great Plains states: Tater Tot Casserole. I suppose this falls into the "hotdish" category of which every variation seems to be pretty gross.

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009

DicktheCat posted:

Sounds like some sort of higher class potted meat.

It's more of a pate than anything. I used to eat it all the time when I was a kid but haven't had in years.

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009

Alhazred posted:

Lutefisk actually doesn't smell that bad.

The smell of lutefisk cooking is amongst the foulest of all scents.

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009
I've had brain tacos. It was alright I guess. Brain doesn't really taste like anything to me.

While I'm on the topic of tacos, tongue makes for a great taco as does cheek.

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009
All the further tater tot casserole discussion (which is most definitely not a Shepherd's Pie) made me remember another bland, condensed soup nightmare: Cream of Chicken soup "Chicken Enchiladas".

Gross.

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009
Anyone that grew up poor in the US probably had to eat too much of this as a kid (I know I did):

Hamburger Helper

amishbuttermaster has a new favorite as of 00:22 on Mar 31, 2013

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009

Kalos posted:

2. People getting grossed out over pretty mundane (in the States) dishes they didn't like when they were 6

For me personally it's not so much that they're mundane, which they definitely are, but that they're bland dishes and lazy cooking. Sure a tater tot casserole may kinda look like a Shepherds Pie and that may have been the idea but it doesn't take much more effort to actually make a Shepherds Pie. The same goes for macaroni and cheese or Hamburger Helper or any of these other convenience foods. You put just a little bit of effort into it and you can come up with something that's significantly better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009

Plinkey posted:

I think there's a nice convenience about being able to make an egg-sickle.

I wonder how hard it would be to come up with something that would let you do 6-12 at a time...does anyone make Popsicle molds than can hold up to boiling water?

You can get steel popsicle molds: http://www.amazon.com/Onyx-Stainless-Steel-Popsicle-Mold/dp/B003R4AHTK

You'd need to oil up the interior of the mold quite a bit I suspect.

• Locked thread