Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Some Norwegian delicacies:
Lutefisk:

It might not look all that bad until you learn that lut is Norwegian for lye. It's fish soaked in lye.

Cod tongue:

It actually taste really good.

Smalahove

Sheep's head. They say that the eye is the best part but I didn't like it all that much.

Gammalost:

Litterally old cheese.

Target Practice posted:

When my brother and I were children, our great-grandmother (born in Brazil in the 1910s) would sometimes make us a desert that consisted of raw egg yolks, well beaten with just sugar. This was eaten raw and cold, with the sugar undissolved so as to be gritty. This was before the whole salmonella paranoia set in. I still have it every once and a while, but it's just not as good as she used to make it.

This is really good though. And the perks of living in a country where salmonella isn't that widespread is that you can eat it all the time without worry. It doesn't belong in this thread:

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 20:17 on Mar 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

amishbuttermaster posted:

I have Norwegian grandparents and had to eat this constantly growing up. It's far and away the worst "food" item in this thread thus far.
You sound like a person that has never eaten (or smelled) rakfisk: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakfisk

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Triangle posted:

Blood as food is really good, you shouldn't be ashamed of liking it. I eat http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blodpl%C3%A4ttar pretty regularly. I also came here to post mämmi, but it looks like I got beaten to the punch.

I really don't like it, especially not when it's served with syrup.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

amishbuttermaster posted:

I have not. Is it worse than lutefisk?
I have never been able to taste it because just the thought of the smell makes me want to vomit.

quote:

Is such a thing even possible? What is it with Scandinavian food? A lot of Korean food is based around pickling and fermenting too but Korean food is great. How does Norway just get it so wrong so often?

Because fermenting in Norway means "bury it in the ground and eat it a couple of months later or put it in a poisonous substance and eat it a couple of months later".

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

gently caress you Canada:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Crow Jane posted:

Nothing that comes close to period cookies, but this thread reminds me of James Lileks' Gallery of Regrettable Food. It's more making fun of mid-century cookbooks than the food within, but it nevertheless manages to be revolting and hilarious at the same time.

An example of the delicacies on the site:

Aspic is fairly common in my country, I'm not a huge fan but it's not like it's menstrual cookies.

Behold the beef tartar:

A piece of raw meat served a raw egg.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Syltelabb (pig's feet):

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Overminty posted:

Foie Gras

To be honest I'm pretty indifferent about the taste but it's definitely not pretty

I think that the way it's made is more repulsive than how it looked. Foie gras is one of the things I could never bring myself to eat.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

So American cuisine basically consists of combining various fast food items.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TurboTax posted:

It used to be British food, and then it somehow got worse.

Which is an impressive achievement.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Oatmeal porridge is probably the :smith:est of all the foods. Basically you take oatmeal and water and boil it:

My grandfather was practically raised on it and as a result he resented it all his life.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Supreme Allah posted:

There are videos on youtube of fish and octopus and god drat whatever being eaten alive. I would ask why but I don't want to know. Stop.

I think it's a good advice to don't do something that they do in Oldboy.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Francostein posted:

In high school bio we dissected sharks and the smell was really familiar for some reason. I couldn't stop thinking "why do I know the smell of sharks in formaldehyde? What is wrong with me?" And then I remembered that my dad took me to the restaurant in Disney's EPCOT in Norway.

Its in Island that they eats rotten shark.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

Just some smoked baltic herring. You don't eat the head but I guess it would be too time-consuming to do them all up one by one before eating.

In Norway fish head is a motherfucking delicacy:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Overminty posted:

I don't know what they all smell like but I can imagine rotten shark, lutefisk et al all having at a somewhat similar smell. Being rotten fish and all.

Lutefisk actually doesn't smell that bad.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tiamat posted:

So interestingly the EPCOT Norway restaurant was the first time I tried this delicious beauty:

Gjetost. Basically caramel-flavored, sweet cheese. It's delicious! Not every food that comes from Scandinavia is fermented, rotting fish!

...Not that it really belongs in this thread, unless brown cheese puts you off your feed.

Waffle and brunost is goddamn delicious:

But I think you're seriously underestimating the amount of horrible fish we eat in Norway:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

eithedog posted:

Headcheese - in Poland it's generally treated as either delicacy, or "all the bits that are leftover from making sausages shouldn't go to waste, let's made something from it"

Headcheese (or sylteflesk) is a traditional Norwegian christmas dish. I remember one time finding a pig head in my grandparents' fridge.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Boiled roe:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mizuti posted:

How about another fish-related gross food? I can't seem to find a source for it on the internet, but I read a book on codfish that mentioned that people in Norwegian fishing areas really made sure none of the fish went to waste. Apparently, not only did they eat the aforementioned fish jizz, they softened its bones in milk and ate them too. My guess is that it fell out of favor when globalization helped them get more palatable, nutritious foods in wintertime.

Haven't heard of it. And if they had enough milk to soften fishbones it would make more sense to drink the milk instead of eating the bones. Sardines are usually eaten whole with bone and all.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pancakes by Mail posted:

I hope somewhere in the last 12 pages someone called you out on this, but

gently caress Canada? gently caress YOU

gently caress Canada and all it's beavers. Poutine is a loving abomination and I'm surprised that anyone that eats it doesn't die of heart attack at the spot.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

modernwinglish posted:

Speaking of drinks, here, have a peep martini in time for Easter:

That's kinda adorable.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

Did I already post liver box? Here's some more liver box then. Yes that's a raisin in there.

For some reason I really like that, but I hate ordinary liver.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ox tongue:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

VogeGandire posted:

Arbroath Smokies.

Smoked fish is pretty common in Norway. Smoked eel:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

kinmik posted:

If somebody corned it, cut it up, and put it in front of you without telling you what it is, I bet you'd eat it. :colbert:
I don't really think it taste that good. It's too salty for me.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

(Kumle/potato dumpling)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

For a while BonBon was extremely popular (it ven got it's own deeply disturbing theme park), the candy itself wasn't particularly disgusting (or particularly anything really). But the package it came in was something different: :nws:http://i.imgur.com/AVDbeDl.jpg:nws:

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Mayonnaise in the United States is very different than mayonnaise in many foreign countries.
Indeed:

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 11:55 on Apr 3, 2013

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Another traditional Norwegian cheese, pultost:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lassi:

It might not look that bad but its seriously one of the worst things I have ever drunk. It tasted like sea water.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ekuNNN posted:

I wonder why vanilla got this name of being the 'generic' icecream flavour? I love vanilla icecream.

To post some content, I bet some people will find the Dutch tradition of eating raw herring disgusting:

:geert:

Its not really that unique. Raw herring is pretty common in Norway:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

eithedog posted:

Yup - we eat it raw in Poland as well, but I think every country in the Baltic region will at least know rollmops.

Below, raw herring with cream:

Edit: actually, I wanted to bring out something that was already mentioned in this thread as well (though original poster didn't name it as this)

Kogel mogel, is a whipped egg yolk with sugar (two spoons per yolk), consumed raw. Delicious.

And as I said it doesn't really belong in this thread. It looks good and taste good, the only reason to avoid it is if you live in a country where salmonella is a real danger.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lungemos (mashed lounges):

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Saddest Rhino posted:

At this rate I would hardly be surprised if someone actually complains that water is horrible.

All the water I've drunk abroad has been horrible, it tastes like chlorine. That said there's nothing better than take a drink from a waterfall.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TerryLennox posted:

Be very careful of drinking from streams and waterfalls. Unless you are drinking from a confirmed uncontaminated source, chances are someone or something took a poo poo upstream and you are drinking the VERY diluted bacterial parfait.

Stupid river water ruined a day of vacation when I was 14. I remember drinking a single glass of river water, that had no taste, no smell and was refreshingly cool. That night, I learned that my vomiting spasms transform me into a hydralisk. You haven't vomited until you have projected a stream of puke from the door in the bathroom.

Do you live in a third world country or something? When I'm at the family cabin pretty much our only source of fresh water is rivers and waterfalls and I have never gotten sick.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

You know how before people understood the germ theory of disease and boiled their drinking water basically half the people at any one point in time died of dysentery and cholera? Jesus Christ you loving guys.

Its not like every river is a disease ridden sludge. As long as it's not filled with poo poo, dead animals, is discolored or smells bad it should be reasonably safe to drink it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Spuckuk posted:

Your taste buds are broken, you should get that looked at.

Rhubarb Crumble is the greatest dessert

For some reason I'm not a big fan of desserts made of rhubarb, but I really love how it tastes raw.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Palpatine MD posted:

Have you ever actually eaten it though? It's not as bad as it seems, but it helps if you enjoy organ meat, which you should because it is delicious.

It is. My father lends his cabin to some hunters and in return he gets some meat. One year we got elk heart and it tasted really good:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

Kombucha sounds a lot like kefir, except with tea instead of milk. Kefir is made by taking pre-existing cultures of yeast and bacteria (lactobacillus) clusters, which look like this

Kefir is really good and as an added bonus the cartons it comes in is cool:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Miss Kalle posted:

Aw, the version I've seen in stores is pretty boring in comparison.

It definitely needs more dancing cossacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Penny Paper posted:

I remember making this at a health food store/community kitchen in California. I didn't mind the yeast or bacterial growth (even after I swallowed one of the cultures by mistake. Frankly, it's no different than having to hack up phlegm from a head cold or one of those mornings where your sinuses hate you and decide to rebel) and it's actually good if you flavor it with something, like thyme and lemons or lavendar.
"It tastes like flavored phlegm!" isn't really a good selling point.

• Locked thread