Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Why is Mike even involved? He seems like he is entirely unnecessary and probably detrimental to the channel overall. And wait Doug didn't want to do the game show?

PASS THE MASH fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Miss Wallace posted:

Brad is a great guy and a loyal friend. I wouldn't want to take all those train rides to Chicago, ha ha.

Yeah. I really don't want this to turn into "WHAT ABOUT ALL THE OTHER PRODUCERS ON THE SITE, ARE THEY SECRETLY TERRIBLE?" Like seriously, let's not. The issue is with "TGWTG" as defined by Mike n' Rob n' Doug, and they are very much Their Own Entity unified against all the other producers and have been for years. Anything past that, what individual producers think of other individual producers, is only that. It gets into personal relationships and cliques and other nonsense, where one person's dearest friend is scum to another person. There's like 70-bazillion people. Not worth delving into, doing so is just pointless drama rather than conducive venting about a horrible system (TGWTG "HQ") and let's just not.

I've only hung out with Brad once in person, but he was a really awesome dude to me. :)

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

watho posted:

So, he's a Nice Guy™?

Edit: Has Mike Michaud ever appeared anywhere or is he just a behind the curtains guy? I don't think I've ever heard anyone ever say anything positive about him.

"Nice Guys" are actually pretty horrible, it sounds more like Doug is George McFly.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Idran posted:

"Nice Guys" are actually pretty horrible, it sounds more like Doug is George McFly.

That's the impression I'm getting too. Afraid to end up in conflict so Rob and Mike make most of the decisions.

Best of luck to everyone who has left (and everyone who IS left, might be a rocky road ahead.)

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Jay O posted:

Yeah. I really don't want this to turn into "WHAT ABOUT ALL THE OTHER PRODUCERS ON THE SITE, ARE THEY SECRETLY TERRIBLE?" Like seriously, let's not. The issue is with "TGWTG" as defined by Mike n' Rob n' Doug, and they are very much Their Own Entity unified against all the other producers and have been for years. Anything past that, what individual producers think of other individual producers, is only that. It gets into personal relationships and cliques and other nonsense, where one person's dearest friend is scum to another person. There's like 70-bazillion people. Not worth delving into, doing so is just pointless drama rather than conducive venting about a horrible system (TGWTG "HQ") and let's just not.

This. It's the same as it is with any crappy company. If some people finally quit that doesn't necessarily mean that the people still working there are bad.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Tracula posted:

:allears: I was pretty spot on about the WWE analogy.

So who would be CM Punk in this scenario, Lupa?

The more I read about it the more it seems like a bunch of guys going "Hell yeah, let's start our own website and we can do whatever the gently caress we like! We're gonna corner the market on yelling at movies!" and then slipping and falling when they realize "Oh yeah, we actually have to manage a poo poo ton of stuff and act professional too." I feel like this was inevitable. The site always seemed like NOSTALGIA CRITIC, LINKARA and some other guys I guess. The site was garbage and took years to get updated, they have no loving clue about new things like Patreon and continue to promote like 2 people while ignoring everyone else. I just hope everyone gets out soon, SFDebris should go "Welp, it was fun being here for like a month but I'll see ya!"

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 13, 2015

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Miss Wallace posted:

What nine-gear-crow said, I'm not kidding when I say they shot it at least 17 times. Most of them with the same questions and "pretending" it was the first time it was shot. A lot of it is audio issues (they don't know how to sound proof the studio). There's...sort of a storyline(?).

The guests are Doug and his friends, except maybe 2 of them that had actual people they don't know in it. The "action challenges" are Rockem Sockem Robots and Hungry Hungry Hippos. Literally no one but Michaud wants to make the show.

Why do you need a storyline for a quiz show? No seriously, what's the loving point? Does nobody "get" what a game show is? They're insanely simple to plan and stage, I could do a game show, gently caress I have done a game show on stage, they are not difficult. I can't imagine how badly managed a show needs to be for 17 takes to not make a workable final product, though from the sound of it, they didn't setup and test their equipment properly before shooting.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
With all this drama, I think the best PR move for Channel Awesome would be to bring Spoony back! And by best, I mean most hilarious move.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

All this behind the scenes crap makes me really glad I just go directly to people's Blip channels.

Also still surprised that people would turn on adblock for midrolls rather than just preloading them like a civilized human being. That is definitely not the kind of jerk I'd want to cater to in the first place.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So now all of the Goon CA members are gone (yes I know you are still lurking here somewhere Lindsay).

Considering other people on that site like Linkara can get $40,000 to make a movie in about 3 weeks on a Kickstarter, I don't know why anyone else wouldn't jump now.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Well Linkara ain't leaving
http://atopfourthwall.tumblr.com/post/108020599623

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Well this is sad.

A good thing mind you, given what everyone's said, but sad.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

FlamingLiberal posted:

Considering other people on that site like Linkara can get $40,000 to make a movie in about 3 weeks on a Kickstarter, I don't know why anyone else wouldn't jump now.

Well, since there's no actual money lost for hosting videos on the site, it's all at the benefit of the content producer to host those videos on the site. There's no real reason to leave cause you still get the added view counts from appearing on the site, and added income is added income, regardless of how much or little you need it. So there's still a reason to stay, it's just not as powerful as reason as it used to be.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Puppy Time posted:

All this behind the scenes crap makes me really glad I just go directly to people's Blip channels.

Yeah no poo poo. I replaced my toolbar bookmark to CA some time ago with a folder containing all the media accounts of the producers I like. It was a surprising quality of life improvement then, and seems practically necessary now.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Well, since there's no actual money lost for hosting videos on the site, it's all at the benefit of the content producer to host those videos on the site. There's no real reason to leave cause you still get the added view counts from appearing on the site, and added income is added income, regardless of how much or little you need it. So there's still a reason to stay, it's just not as powerful as reason as it used to be.
I guess, but with him at this point it's more of a case of them needing him as opposed to him needing them at all.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

DoombatINC posted:

Yeah no poo poo. I replaced my toolbar bookmark to CA some time ago with a folder containing all the media accounts of the producers I like. It was a surprising quality of life improvement then, and seems practically necessary now.

I did the same, but mostly because the site was nightmare to navigate. RSS feeds are so much more comfortable.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Why do you need a storyline for a quiz show? No seriously, what's the loving point? Does nobody "get" what a game show is? They're insanely simple to plan and stage, I could do a game show, gently caress I have done a game show on stage, they are not difficult. I can't imagine how badly managed a show needs to be for 17 takes to not make a workable final product, though from the sound of it, they didn't setup and test their equipment properly before shooting.

it almost sounds like a parody video on what a game show would look like if done by internet reviewers, with storylines and challenges of playing children games from the 80's.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Somehow I don't think it was because they were laughing really hard at their own jokes they had to redo it that many times.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Tracula posted:

I still have a hard time processing the fact that CA never paid anyone for their work at all.

It's unfortunately not very surprising. The situation has a ton of hallmarks of labor exploitation: a niche market upon which CA holds a near monopoly, high competition just to get the job at all, a legal grey area that's never seen labor laws, the faux idea that somehow internet popularity (and consequent monetization) is a meritocracy and that you can't pay your bills because you aren't working hard enough, even the societal pressure that you "don't have a real job" and you're lucky to even be where you are, stop complaining

All this basically cooks a situation where CA sets the rules (by either malice or incompetence), and the content creators have almost no way to challenge or even negotiate them

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Vicas posted:

It's unfortunately not very surprising. The situation has a ton of hallmarks of labor exploitation: a niche market upon which CA holds a near monopoly, high competition just to get the job at all, a legal grey area that's never seen labor laws, the faux idea that somehow internet popularity (and consequent monetization) is a meritocracy and that you can't pay your bills because you aren't working hard enough, even the societal pressure that you "don't have a real job" and you're lucky to even be where you are, stop complaining

All this basically cooks a situation where CA sets the rules (by either malice or incompetence), and the content creators have almost no way to challenge or even negotiate them

Quoting for a clean and truthful summation of the whole stinky enchilada.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Vicas posted:

Not just that but the people they 'employ' can't afford to fight them legally.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Miss Wallace posted:

Aw thanks man! I love doing Baywatching, it's such fun.

What nine-gear-crow said, I'm not kidding when I say they shot it at least 17 times. Most of them with the same questions and "pretending" it was the first time it was shot. A lot of it is audio issues (they don't know how to sound proof the studio). There's...sort of a storyline(?).

The guests are Doug and his friends, except maybe 2 of them that had actual people they don't know in it. The "action challenges" are Rockem Sockem Robots and Hungry Hungry Hippos. Literally no one but Michaud wants to make the show.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-your-own-soundproof-studio-in-11-easy-steps/

Literally first google result. Do they not do a test, like a 5 minute run before shooting a pilot?

Also, it's telling that Michode is the only one who wants to make it. The FCC has regulations regarding game shows. Is CA up on those?

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

I can only assume from the site being down that everything at Channel Awesome is literally on fire right now.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Not just that but the people they 'employ' can't afford to fight them legally.

Yep! People say "why don't they fight back" but there's really just not enough people in the business to support each other with both money and time like a union would. Even if CA is breaking laws, to actually make them stop you need to take them to court and win a long, expensive case while not starving and losing your home

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I can go to the site just fine.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Vicas posted:

I'm now just going to view Doug as Vince McMahon from now on since this sums up a lot of the problems with the WWE as well as stated before. I guess that makes Linkara John Cena.

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

It's easy to consume media but it's harder to understand how to create media. Like, you have to learn the boring basics of how things work and why. Look at television, which is the medium they're trying to ape here. You have this whole crew of people, from camera operators, sound engineers, etc. for the mechanics of the thing, to stuff like researchers and writers so you have a thing to film, to directors and producers so you have a way to get the thing made and to make sure things are organized so that they work. "But I saw an episode of Double Dare once!" doesn't mean you know all of the behind the scenes stuff that went into it but learning that poo poo is hard and, you know, effort and poo poo. So just film some nerds playing Hungry Hungry Hippos again and maybe this time it will work.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Did anyone see NC's Matrix review before the whole site got taken down? I watched it, braced for the hilarious internet shitstorm that would inevitably result from Doug openly disliking The Matrix, and then came here and

:yikes:

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Wow.

Not a lot to say, except that I think at this point I'd rather say that I run a business selling clubbed baby seal oil than say that I make money out of being an Internet critic. So sorry for the poo poo that people like JO, Lupa, Phelous, Andrew and Kyle had to go through with all this. I also hope that the folks in charge all step on a LEGO brick.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

PassTheRemote posted:

Also, it's telling that Michode is the only one who wants to make it. The FCC has regulations regarding game shows. Is CA up on those?

I could be wrong here, but as far as I know the FCC has no jurisdiction over internet content. They don't even have jurisdiction over cable content. They cover physical infrastructure and public airwaves (broadcast television and over-the-air radio) only.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Welp.

Went and found SF Debris' blip RSS feed and unsubed from CA's... I already had the other people I actually watch covered off pretty well between Chez Apocalypse and Lupa.

9jack9
Jan 13, 2015

Idran posted:

I could be wrong here, but as far as I know the FCC has no jurisdiction over internet content. They don't even have jurisdiction over cable content. They cover physical infrastructure and public airwaves (broadcast television and over-the-air radio) only.

The FCC wouldn't be involved but if the game show had any sort of cash prize it would fall under whatever state gaming regulations exist in Illinois. I don't know what those rules look like but most are VERY strict about rules. As in, so strict that they regularly send SWAT teams to break up small poker games at VFW's. Considering everything else that's come to light I wouldn't be surprised at all if they hadn't even bothered to look into what those rules are.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I somehow sincerely doubt that any prizes are involved.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
"Well I haven't checked the Internet Critic thread in a couple days. I wonder-" :stare:

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Writer Cath posted:

"Well I haven't checked the Internet Critic thread in a couple days. I wonder-" :stare:

Heh, I actually got wind of it because I got one of those stupid "Popular in your network!" e-mails from Twitter and Phelous' tweet was in the title. Figured it would be faster to come here.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

9jack9 posted:

The FCC wouldn't be involved but if the game show had any sort of cash prize it would fall under whatever state gaming regulations exist in Illinois. I don't know what those rules look like but most are VERY strict about rules. As in, so strict that they regularly send SWAT teams to break up small poker games at VFW's. Considering everything else that's come to light I wouldn't be surprised at all if they hadn't even bothered to look into what those rules are.

Yeah, if you cross the gaming commission, you are hosed. We're talking fines and hard time.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
again, very glad that I wasn't selected during last round of applications. And good luck to Ursa, Rantasmo, SFDebris and all the other newbies. It just sounds like a business managed by people who had no idea how to manage a business.

Ghilz
Jun 15, 2007
In confusion there is opportunity
SFDebris has a very successful Patreon already going, and going by the Q&A he's done for said Patreon contributors I doubt he'd lose much or suffer much from Channel Awesome annoying him or his own leaving.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I'm gonna be honest, I had absolutely no idea that SF Debris was on Channel Awesome until people started mentioning it today. I'm sure he'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

watho posted:

I somehow sincerely doubt that any prizes are involved.

It's a party hat, a beer, and I think a gift certificate. And they only had prizes when Holly reminded them that game shows need to, y'know, have them.

• Locked thread